• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Why I'm not excited for Forza Motorsport 6

That's fair? "Well it's only as bad as a shitty game podcast?" ;)

I think there's a reason I never listen to podcasts about gaming hahaha. But seriously, this is some genuine amateur hour stuff and if ever people wanted a simple illustration about how profoundly immature this industry remains at time, just watch this video. It's the musings from someone with the mental maturity of a fourteen year old.
Not only that, but I find it kind of egotistical for a so called professional to present a video showcasing some kind of universal truth about how racing games should play. I get that different people like different things, but this video is presented on a somewhat elevated stage than it would be if it were just someone's opinion on a message board. Which is what this video sounds like. I can accept an opinion like that on that level, but not on this one. Frankly as a feature on a multi-million dollar website, it sounds silly.

nib95

Banned
For me, this one video sums up everything that is wrong with mainstream games "journalism" at the moment.

This industry is growing at such a rapid rate at the moment but lacks maturity in so many crucial ways.

That's why I feel that despite all the vitriol and negativity from forums such as GAF, they are becoming ever more important. Once you wade through the crap, you can get to honest hardcore gamer centric opinions that I personally feel I can relate to far more than I can with most journalists. The latter I find often tend to fall in line with more causal centric lines of thought, or simply do not or cannot give games the same sort of serious consideration as we do and can, since at the end of the day for many of them it's still just a job with deadlines, time constraints and all the rest.

saladine1

My point is, these ARE my type of games. I like driving and racing games, both arcade and realistic ones. I am the target audience. But I played FM2 and FM3 and not the others that followed because the formula got tired and because GT5 let me use a Logitech wheel with it.

Just because it is a racing simulator does not mean that every iteration only involves improving the game engine and addig tracks and cars. That's ridiculous and it is thinking like that which has got us to this very stale point in the genre. At least the GT series is trying to innovate with the team driving and the special races. What has FM really done?

Orange peel in paintwork bro, orange peel in paintwork...

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Very American point of view I think. And one I strongly disagree with. Why can't there be room for both :(
In a way I'm surprised by this statement as US is renowned for closed circuit ala 'going in circles' what the hell does this have to open world & Americans (im aus by the way)

Not only that, but I find it kind of egotistical for a so called professional to present a video showcasing some kind of universal truth about how racing games should play. I get that different people like different things, but this video is presented on a somewhat elevated stage than it would be if it were just someone's opinion on a message board. Which is what this video sounds like. I can accept an opinion like that on that level, but not on this one. Frankly as a feature on a multi-million dollar website, it sounds silly.

The title of "Why I'm" sufficiently stipulates that it's the opinion of a sole individual. The narrator frequently mentions that "me" and "I" when talking about the topic.

How you've chosen to interpret that is on you. I've chosen to find your comprehension of this piece to be an egregious failure of basic comprehension skills.

Bessy67

I for one am happy that racing games of various types continue to exist. I love Horizon 2 but I'm still looking forward to FM6 since it's a completely different type of racing. Now they just need to throw Rallisport Challenge into their racing game rotation. Have Playground develop it and call it Forza Rally or something.

nib95

Banned
I say merge the two: Forza World

Open world with closed circuit tracks located throughout the world.

Isn't that sort of what FH2 already does? I'm not sure I'd like the idea of that in Forza Motorsport. End of the day in a track racer it's about track racing. If you have to race through countrysides and fields just to get to Bathurst, it's sort of defeating the point. I'd rather lightning loading times and quicker to the race or set up type emphasis. But that's just me.

Since he doesn't like this type of game, he should be the one that reviews it!

This is the laughable part. I eagerly await what he gives FM6 assuming hes the one that reviews it. Giving a 5 to Driveclub for being "soulless" was probabaly one of the most stupid things I had read all year.

saladine1

Isn't that sort of what FH2 already does? I'm not sure I'd like the idea of that in Forza Motorsport. End of the day in a track racer it's about track racing. If you have to race through countrysides and fields just to get to Bathurst, it's sort of defeating the point. I'd rather lightning loading times and quicker to the race or set up type emphasis. But that's just me.

Hey, that's not a bad idea lol

That's what the old school drivers used to do back in the 70's and 80's...well, not through fields and such but yeah...

chadskin

SSReborn

I really dislike articles/videos etc like this because I feel like it sends the publishers the message that these are the only types of games we want and that they'll act on that.

Doukou

Isn't that what Crew did?
Off-Road driving to racing locations.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

I agree slightly. This is not a review tho. It's someone's opinion in video form. Someone who has worked to get to where he is. It's an opinion piece. Something people never seem to be able to handle on major sites

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

Rajang

From the review:

I don't need to go any further than that really.

WTF?!

I think rewind is just fucking cheap and has no business in a circuit racer. If you're doing a cartoony or over the top arcade racing game it's fine but if you're making a serious racing game. Where it's just pure racing a rewind option seems so out of place.

Amir0x

Banned

I mean I think they can do whatever they want, but this is like a child's videogame analysis video. I cannot express enough how absurd it seems to even listen to a perspective like this. It has zero merit. I can't even imagine who would get use out of this video?

Like, ok, this guy is chronically incapable of respecting the strengths of two completely different approaches to the racing genre. *clap* That is the long and short of what's in that video, and I actually suffered through that slop to watch it all. :p

The title of "Why I'm" sufficiently stipulates that it's the opinion of a sole individual. The narrator frequently mentions that "me" and "I" when talking about the topic.

How you've chosen to interpret that is on you. I've chosen to find your comprehension of this piece to be an egregious failure of basic comprehension skills.
I understand its his opinion. The fact he thinks his opinion is worth a flying fuck to anyone is the part I find egotistical.

People like different things, what a revelation.

I LOVE Forza Horizon, but god damnit not every racing game needs to be an open world playground!

There's room for both open world racers and track sims.

I understand its his opinion. The fact he thinks his opinion is worth a flying fuck to anyone is the part I find egotistical.

People like different things, what a revelation.

Thanks for ignoring the insulting part I wrote at the end, I wrote that in annoyed haste in-between making dinner.

That only thing that coaxes me into buying a racer is if it's somehow different than a traditional Motorsport simulator. When presented with with no alternative, I might pick up a game here and there. The video / his opinion seems to be one that's more prominent these days, especially around the release of FH2 / Driveclub, perhaps even riding the coat tails of that sentiment.

trinest

What I really want is a game which is like Horizon, but mid screwing around with some friends while driving around we find a racetrack and we just drive on it for like ages.

Basically I want a game which gives the top gear experience.

Pop

That's like saying there is only room for fast twitch shooters and no others. Just makes no sense to say these crazy things.

But big media gets it wrong again, not surprised.

lem0n

This is a terrible take, no shit if you aren't into "Motorsport" you aren't going to enjoy a track-based, simulation-oriented racer like Motorsport as much as you are an open world romp like Horizon. It's not "better", it's different. And I love Horizon.

I'm excited as hell for FM6. Forza 5 was a good, albeit shallow base for the next generation of sim racers, and between that and PCars it's a great year for gear heads.

Thanks for trying though GS.

This is like a CoD player saying "why I'm not excited for the next Counter Strike".

Couldn't have said it better myself.

SmokyDave

This is why The Crew fucking rocks. It's got a humongous open world, with proper circuits sprinkled around it.

That said, there will always be a place for circuit racers. There's no need for mainline Forza or the GT games to go open world, there are enough games already filling that niche.

Bl@de

Wrap it up Formula 1, DTM, WRC, ... nobody cares about close circuit racing anymore. You heard the man.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think 2 years is too fast of a cycle for traditional Forza, I think Gran Turismo has it right with 1-2 games per gen. Just keep the games supported with new cars tracks until the next entry. I just don't think theres enough room for change in just 2 years for games like these.
Well, there is room. I mean, each of Forza 2 -> Forza 3 -> Forza 4 were definitely worthwhile improvements(just going by ones on same generation as new gen can be a bit of a reset sometimes). But I do think it does somewhat limit their ability to make larger changes. A lot of the stuff people ask for like night and weather, for instance. This would probably involve reworking the graphics and lighting systems a fair bit, and while they do work on graphics, there *is* only so much room for improvement in a 2 year dev cycle.

Anyways, Gamespot guy is entitled to his opinion. These sort of games aren't for everyone, no doubt about that.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
well thats just bhis opinion.
Closed curcuit racers brought me way more fun than any other type of racer because mainly when you have a small Group of like minded People, realstic and fair online races are just the best the genre has to offer.

also i still Need to someday continue FH2. im just in the 3rd City..
racing wise, Driveclub took most of my Attention.

also, i mioght jsut remind you of the abomination that is the Crew.
Although thats propably mainly because of ist godawful driving physics.

Had to turn it off after a minute or so. How does a person go through all the time and effort to record a video like this without realising how stupid the concept is? "I like open-world racers, so I'm not excited for an upcoming closed-circuit racer, The End". Thanks buddy. Good to know.

vesvci

Banned
Eh. As much as I like FH2 (tons of fun), I definitely want a track racer around as well. Driveclub is not only super sexy, but damn fun as well. Both FH2 and DC provide best of both worlds, plenty of room for both types.

Forza Motorsports on the other hand is not really my cup of tea. I never got into it.

I thought the reason was going to be that they come out too damn often.

I'm happy with one Gran Turismo a gen, but how can anyone want to buy 3-4 Forza's a gen is beyond me. It cost way more for very little changes.

But that's just their revenue model where GT can outsell all those Forzas with one game.

Majanew

Banned
There's room for both. I'll take track-based racers over open world racers any day. One of the reasons I disliked Burnout Paradise vs the previous entries was because it was open world and no longer felt like Burnout.

Forza Motorsport > Forza Horizon

mrpookles

Feels like a reach for a profound viewpoint, but comes across as cynical and... dumb.

Plenty of room for all types of racers.

Seanspeed

Banned
I thought the reason was going to be that they come out too damn often.

I'm happy with one Gran Turismo a gen, but how can anyone want to buy 3-4 Forza's a gen is beyond me. It cost way more for very little changes.
Its not just 'very little changes'. I was happy to buy a new Forza Motorsport every other year as each provided properly meaningful changes that made it worth getting. Obviously if you're not really big into the FM games or into sim-type racing, you probably wouldn't do this, but for people like me, it was quite nice.

I wouldn't mind a 3 year cycle, though. Give them a bit of extra time to do some of the stuff that others want implemented.

Harmen

I like closed circuit racers more to be honest. I just hope reviewers will not shit on games for not being open world, because that is not inherently bad. It is fine to prefer open world, though.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What happened to the good old days where if you didn't like something you just didn't play it? I mean, this is playground-level quality journalism.

I happen to think that sim driving games are boring. I thought GT5 was the most boring game in the world buried under pointlessly complex menus. But it seems that lots of people like that stuff, and it seems to sell better than arcade racers these days. So what would be the point of soap boxing about how terrible I think it is?

I wish arcade racers sold better, because I would like more of them. I would love another Burnout 3 kind of game where I could drive around and just take down other racers and blow crap up. But whining about Forza not being Burnout isn't going to make Burnout happen.

Jesus, can't people just enjoy gaming anymore? Are we seriously paying someone to shit on a game that has seen little more than a tweet? Is there another hobby where its most ardent fans are so often its most vocal detractors? Game for fun, people.

Spookie

Basically.. Horizon 2 is so good that other racing games don't need to exist.

Yeah, this theme in games coverage always struck me as a bit weird. Something new came out, therefore every other niche in the genre MUST BE KILLED.

I'm with him on not looking forward to Forza 6 though. I really enjoyed FH2, it's a nice break from the norm, but if I want to race circuits I'll play a PC racing sim since the physics and FFB is considerably better.

Hoo-doo

Banned
After playing Driveclub, no. Just no.

There's nothing like driving around well-designed tracks, learning every corner and shaving off milliseconds. The open-world design of racers is fucking terrible when the actual racing is concerned, it's mostly about the open-world freedom and zaniness. That shit gets old real fast.

Top Bottom