• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot: Why I'm not excited for Forza Motorsport 6

Seanspeed

Banned
After playing Driveclub, no. Just no.

There's nothing like driving around well-designed tracks, learning every corner and shaving off milliseconds. The open-world design of racers is fucking terrible when the actual racing is concerned, it's mostly about the open-world freedom and zaniness. That shit gets old real fast.
Different strokes and all that. A lot of people genuinely do prefer the racing in open world games. Its understandable.

Hasney

After playing Driveclub, I'm ready for this. I do prefer the full sim model and 60fps for my driving games, so since DC was a personal disappointment, I may get an XB1 by the end of the year (unless Sony have a surprise GT7 announcement... PAHAHAHA I couldn't say that with a straight face).

Warablo

If they can make the courses look great, with crowds, and actual music, instead of OST. It can be decent I think.

drotahorror

Dude's first few words are something like "FH2 was my GOTY so it would make since that I would be stoked to hear about Forza 6..but I wasn't" Well duh, it's 2 different types of games. I don't have an XB1 but I'm hype to play FH2 sometime this gen. I'm not hype to play Forza 5 or 6. FH2 is an arcadey like racer that I would enjoy. Forza Motorsport series is something I have little interest in due to the nature of it's driving physics.

But..throw me some good closed tracks over an open world any day. Hence Driveclub is one of the best racing games ever made.

The assumption that people should be excited for an FM game if they love Horizon (or vice versa) is stupid, seeing as they play so differently. I can totally understand why the writer isn't excited, his opening statement was dumb and not needed. For me, FM6 needs to bring in weather and night-races for me to get excited. Plus better music :)

drotahorror

After playing Driveclub, no. Just no.

There's nothing like driving around well-designed tracks, learning every corner and shaving off milliseconds. The open-world design of racers is fucking terrible when the actual racing is concerned, it's mostly about the open-world freedom and zaniness. That shit gets old real fast.

My favorite thing about open world racers is looking at the mini map often because the on screen indicators are usually awful about telling which way to go next. Also the traffic. I love looking at the mini map for a split second only to be hit head on by traffic at 200mph. I love having a sick tear on a race and smashing into some random traffic that just happened to be around a corner that I was drifting around.

Open world racers are sick.

Soul_Pie

"For a guy who spends loads of money and time chasing very real experiences..."

Guys, take a step back, he knows what he's talking about, he once went skiing and drove down a dark road. He's got no time for driving on closed circuits like the rest of you grandmas.

Rourkey

I completly agree with him, played the Forza games last gen and didnt give the Horizon a go after not enjoying the demo.

This gen the demo and game blew me away, I cant see me going back now, if I get the Forza game it'll probably be for demo purposes assuming it'll turnout an an amazing looking game.

Percy

Banned
His reasoning truly is a load of horse shit.

This 'corridor racer' narrative cooked up by over-zealous Forza Horizon fans has become eye-rollingly obnoxious.

derFeef

"I dislike sim racers, therefore I am not excited about a sim racer"
Wow... ?

This 'corridor racer' narrative cooked up by over-zealous Forza Horizon fans has become eye-rollingly obnoxious.

Don't do this.

CozMick

Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The death of the track racer, bravo playground/FH elitists bra-fucking-o

BONDO

Fuck open world racers
Seems like all we get these days. I enjoy my corridors as much as i enjoy a good open world racer.

Emphasis on good, cause that shit is rare

My favorite thing about open world racers is looking at the mini map often because the on screen indicators are usually awful about telling which way to go next.

There are plenty of ways around that, from following driving lines or other racers, over looking for checkpoint markers (for instance, in FH1 they're giant bright lasers tearing the skies, in FH2 they're huge columns of bright billowing smoke), to using GPS navigation. I tend to use the mini-map in FH games just as much as I use it in FM titles, which is not a lot.

Also the traffic. I love looking at the mini map for a split second only to be hit head on by traffic at 200mph. I love having a sick tear on a race and smashing into some random traffic that just happened to be around a corner that I was drifting around.

If only there was a rewind button I could press... But sure, traffic can be an annoyance since it's usually too random, although it can also lead to some great, exhilarating moments. Thankfully, traffic can be left out of the actual racing events (as opposed to just cruising around in the overworld). In FH (but also some FM) games there are event types that include traffic, and there are those that don't.

They can be, yes. That said, both have their place under the sun, and I hope it remains that way. The video in the OP is fine for a personal blog post, but not much else.

Endo Punk

I agree with what they have to say with DriveClub, the drifting is awful and the game though good looking definitely lacks something, a personality if you will. I really want a racer worth playing on PS4. Wish Ridge Racer was back in a big way, or another Outrun.

The death of the track racer, bravo playground bra-fucking-o

You're really blaming Playground?

All they did was make an exceptional game that has left some 'racing fans' rather soured on traditional track/circuit racers. They can't be held to account for how fans feel about the racing genre after they play their game any more than any other developer...

You're being ridiculous.

I agree if FM6 turns out to be just a small iteration of the series with no big new additions.

But I'm waiting for the day a 60fps fully fledged sim with Driveclub graphics/weather, realistic physics and damage-model comes out with tracks like the Nurburgring and Spa-Francorchamps comes out.

Ah damn that guy... I just don't know...

To enjoy an open world racer is good, they can be really fun!
But to shit on Forza Motorsport for not being open world is beyond stupid. I'm sorry i don't like to name call but wtf yo?
I'm too tired, I'm finding it hard to put into words how wrong this GS opinion is.

I feel better knowing gaf does not approve of this shit.

Edit: Just read some more comments and am beyond disappointed with gaf right now.

SmokyDave

My favorite thing about open world racers is looking at the mini map often because the on screen indicators are usually awful about telling which way to go next. Also the traffic. I love looking at the mini map for a split second only to be hit head on by traffic at 200mph. I love having a sick tear on a race and smashing into some random traffic that just happened to be around a corner that I was drifting around.

This does kinda read like 'I don't like open world racers because I'm not very good at them'.

Still, there's plenty of room in this world for both. I've no idea why some people are trying to move away from circuit racers. Perhaps they don't like motorsport.

So Forza 6 to get bashed for the same reasons as Driveclub due to it's restrictive nature of only racing on race tracks and not being able to speed across fields?

Should we only have one type of adventure game, or one type of FPS? Geez some reporters really don't have a fucking clue!

sobaka770

Banned
What the hell is this? FM just as GT and other simulator will never go open-world. It's not even the same bloody genre (almost).

Why would I want a simulator of racing on real circuits with championships and the thrill of pure driving go open-world where competition will be not on driving skill but who avoids incoming traffic better, learns the shortcuts and the fastest route?

Now open-world racing can be fun but, come on, closed-circuit is the real deal: that's why all tournaments are done on the track and not in the middle of NYC.

For gaming, open-world may be fun, because it allows us to do things we'd never do in real life, but simulator series don't appeal to wreck-the-car, find-all-the-painting-stations, open-world public, their target are for people who like cars, tuning, performance, behavior on the road and enjoy driving them. That's why FM is a racing simulator it's the damn game description. So please, go back to Horizon, NFS and rid us of your stupidity.

Seanspeed

Banned

The death of the track racer, bravo playground/FH elitists bra-fucking-o
It takes a true fanboy 'us vs them' mentality to believe this kind of nonsense is all due to an agenda by certain fans of one game. Not surprised to hear this from you guys, though.

T_Exige

This guy doesn't even know what motorsport really is.
It's mastering the track, the history, the tradition, the setup of the cars ...
So many great tracks like the Nürburgring, Spa Francorchamps etc.

Yeah, lets compare them with a local road and use LMP/GT cars to make jumps ...

I can enjoy open world racers, just fun and games like Horizon and Burnout did a great job, but leave the track racers alone tbh ;p

Not everything has to be open world. Wonder what the gaming community will complain about when they finally get their amazing story driven, mind-blowing visual, open-world, 4K, 120 FPS, advanced A.I., consequence-ridden, multiple pathway, and deep gameplay system title.

In other news, I can't be excited for FM6 because I've never played a Forza title yet.

I do have FM5, just haven't gotten around to it. Hope I like it though. Never played a track sim and not much of a racer person.

Mabufu

Banned
I agree with what they have to say with DriveClub, the drifting is awful and the game though good looking definitely lacks something, a personality if you will. I really want a racer worth playing on PS4. Wish Ridge Racer was back in a big way, or another Outrun.

Drifting awful? Maybe you think DC is an arcade racer and as such, drifting should be as easy as adding 2+2.

Drifting needs skill and is very rewarding after doing a good one : /

And DC have everything a racing game needs. Master the car, master the track, and do the best you can.

The racing mechanics are solid and spot on, fun, and the multiplayer is addictive. No need for anything more if you like racing.

Morzak

That stupid us vs them shit again.....

There is space for both type of racers, I personally don't care that much about open world Racers, I like my Sim Racers, but there is fun to be had in both of them and different people like different things....

tuna_love

Banned
A lot of passive aggressive comments in here. People can like what ever they want to like in racing games. After you state what you prefer in a racer dont then proceed to shit on the opposite kind of racer. It makes you look kinda hypocritical.

nOoblet16

"Forza Horizon 2 was my favourite game of 2014, so it would make sense that I would be super stoked for Forza Motorsport 6"

Uh no it doesn't.
One's simulation the other's an arcade racer in fictional world.

Racing games don't have story or world building which would make you excited to see a game from a franchise even if it's from a different series and a different genre. Everyone knows Motorsport series is about Motorsport so it would be nuts to expect open world here. If anything he should demand Forza Horizon 3 to be a sim if he wants a sim racer in open world. Corridor racer is such a bad complaint to make.

A lot of passive aggressive comments in here. People can like what ever they want to like in racing games. After you state what you prefer in a racer dont then proceed to shit on the opposite kind of racer. It makes you look kinda hypocritical.

That's what the original video does. And uses poor in-game footage and moody soundtrack to put across his faulty opinion.

SmokyDave

Drifting awful? Maybe you think DC is an arcade racer and as such, drifting should be as easy as adding 2+2.

Drifting needs skill and is very rewarding after doing a good one : /

And DC have everything a racing game needs. Master the car, master the track, and do the best you can.

The racing mechanics are solid and spot on, fun, and the multiplayer is addictive. No need for anything more if you like racing.
Nah, the drifting in DriveClub is awful. I'm in full agreement with that.

It definitely doesn't have everything a racing fan needs either. Not even close. In fact, fuck DriveClub. Overrated racer of the year 2014. I really wanted to like it and it left me colder than any racing game I've played in the last ten years. It looks nice though, so there's that.

tuna_love

Banned
That's what the original video does. And uses poor in-game footage and moody soundtrack to put across his faulty opinion.
Oh yeah I know. Sorry I'm not sticking up for the video. I'm just talking about people who start off saying you can like both circuit or open racer but then shit all over one of them.

Hasney

Nah, the drifting in DriveClub is awful. I'm in full agreement with that.

It definitely doesn't have everything a racing fan needs either. Not even close. In fact, fuck DriveClub. Overrated racer of the year 2014. I really wanted to like it and it left me colder than any racing game I've played in the last ten years. It looks nice though, so there's that.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'll reinstall it when I upgrade my harddrive and it is a good game to get some weather going and stick a friend with a joypad.

All I want is Burnout & GT7 now dammit! And F1 if I actually had any faith left in Codemasters whatsoever.

PepperedHam

A pretty dumb video. The guy is entitled to his opinion though.

I am still bewildered at the "Driveclub lacks personality" criticism he has though. What were they supposed to do, put some crazy wacky green mohawk guy in the game to give you a big thumbs up or something? The game has cars, the game has pretty tracks, the game lets me drive those cars on those pretty tracks, and the game gets my blood pumping. It's a racing game that gets right down to business. There's a reason that Driveclub has been my go-to game the last two months, it's so quick to turn on and get on the road. I like being able to turn it on and just pick a circuit/event/tour/whatever and be in a race almost immediately. I'm a slave to the tyranny of the track I guess.

ps3ud0

Jesus ****ing christ - when was it impossible for differing types of games within the same genre to co-exist and be relevant.

Do we see the same complaints that COD is a foot soldier shooter and needs to embrace vehicles because like BF does :/

Man the euthasistic press is an asinine embarrassment - completely out of touch it seems when it comes to driving games

ps3ud0 8)

Seanspeed

Banned
A pretty dumb video. The guy is entitled to his opinion though.

I am still bewildered at the "Driveclub lacks personality" criticism he has though. What were they supposed to do, put some crazy wacky green mohawk guy in the game to give you a big thumbs up or something? The game has cars, the game has pretty tracks, the game lets me drive those cars on those pretty tracks, and the game gets my blood pumping. It's a racing game that gets right down to business. There's a reason that Driveclub has been my go-to game the last two months, it's so quick to turn on and get on the road. I like being able to turn it on and just pick a circuit/event/tour/whatever and be in a race almost immediately. I'm a slave to the tyranny of the track I guess.
Obviously it doesn't get other people's blood pumping the way it does yours.

tl;dr closed circuit sim racers are old news. Forza Horizon is the future.
I prefer closed circuits and never get into open world racers. To me it's fun to learn the tracks and try to master every turn with your car or compare how well which car performs in your hand on the same tracks.

Open world racers can be fun, but it's too much relying on the game have to tell you where to go in a race because it's just too much variety.

There's enough potential for good open world an d good closed curcuit racers

Another eejit who thinks open world automatically means better. It doesn't, Burnout Paradise saw to that. I'll take a series of linear, well designed tracks over some fully explorable locale that I'll have seen every inch of within the first two hours any day of the week.

Top Bottom