• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nice to hear from Brandon that he wants to get the plans out there and what the name is before the end of the month. So here's to hoping for some nice news this month!

Hoping for great things. Will try to forget this just so I don't get disappointed!

jbluzb

If true they would be back as a group, they need major financing or perhaps Jones has stash of funds to be able to afford everyone. However, I need my gt time fix and would gladly pay for the content. 😃 happy times ahead

Hasney

If true they would be back as a group, they need major financing or perhaps Jones has stash of funds to be able to afford everyone. However, I need my gt time fix and would gladly pay for the content. Happy times ahead

They way Brandon was talking about on KF has me kind of envisioning some of them going freelance writing/production and then just doing streams/weekly podcast at first (with that being the starting point as shows, editorial content and Retrospectives being higher tiers of financing). Would make sense, but it is pure speculation on my part.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I always enjoyed the Just Played episodes more. They were also more insightful and helpful than the reviews for me.

There's also the fact that you can't do something like the Life is Strange Just Played between Elyse and Huber in a review. For me it's just the more interesting format.

Name me a better gaming podcast that has a good discussion about game announcements, news and the industry in one hour, with little to no off-topic shit.

Since GT Time I started listening to the Beastcast and it's still not as good at that and still way too long, even at 1.5x speed.

GT time is so awkward and boring. 1up and even weekend confirmed had better chemistry and dialogue. The gaming podcast I listen to is ps I love xoxo because most of the gaming podcasts are bad. Although ign games scoop is still pretty god when they don't have Marty on.

Hasney

GT Time is the best game podcast I've ever listened to. Couldn't make it all the way through the 2 episodes listened to of that PS I Love You. Wasn't good at all.

*snip*But GT didn't care that they were terrible, because they are courting the Pew Die Pie demo, that just want blind obnoxious enthusiasm. GT was never something I loved, but it certainly had turned into something even worse. Outside of one of them I don't really feel any of them have anything interesting to offer.

GT staff's enthusiasm towards gaming was sincere; it was not put on for the camera. That is the difference between them and those Youtubers who court the crowd that like obnoxious and loud 'personalities'.

GT time is so awkward and boring. 1up and even weekend confirmed had better chemistry and dialogue. The gaming podcast I listen to is ps I love xoxo because most of the gaming podcasts are bad. Although ign games scoop is still pretty god when they don't have Marty on.

I couldn't disagree more on GT Time being awkward (in what sense?) and boring (how exactly?). But it's okay to want different things from a podcast.

For me, GT Time had the best format of any gaming podcast and so far there's been nothing that comes close.

DKHF

I think I'm in the minority but GT Time was my favourite thing GT did (even over the shows). I agree with brotkasten that it had the best format for a games podcast. I hope that at the very least they are able to do a spiritual successor to it with whatever they are planning, but obviously it would be ideal if they can do most if not all of what they did before (at least similar versions of the shows).

UrbanRats

I think I'm in the minority but GT Time was my favourite thing GT did (even over the shows). I agree with brotkasten that it had the best format for a games podcast. I hope that at the very least they are able to do a spiritual successor to it with whatever they are planning, but obviously it would be ideal if they can do most if not all of what they did before (at least similar versions of the shows).
I'm with you, GTtime was their best thing.
If I had to choose for only one thing to be back (e3 coverage aside) it would be GTtime, no question about it.
Final bets would be second, but I bundle that into the e3 coverage stuff.

Visceir

Yeah, same. Definitely my favorite podcast to listen to on a weekly basis.

I thought that there were many ways GT could have improved what they had to offer while staying true to their roots -- starting with working out all the technical kinks they've had with streaming and streaming equipment. Having a more planned schedule in regards to their shows. Maybe finding ways to make their archived streams more digestible by editing them down to highlights or something.

They have a very dedicated and forgiving fanbase, but I'm afraid that fanbase alone won't be enough to sustain themselves financially.

Will be curious to see what kind of format they'll be going for with whatever they start next.

Mokubba

GT Time was easily my favourite podcast and my favourite GT show because it was the longest and had 4 of them at once discussing about games.

It needs to come back

NotMyPsn

Banned
My week feels so empty without GT, no more well edited reviews, final bosman, huber hype... mandatory updates (only the short episodes, thou).
Hope to hear something soon.

I couldn't disagree more on GT Time being awkward (in what sense?) and boring (how exactly?). But it's okay to want different things from a podcast.

For me, GT Time had the best format of any gaming podcast and so far there's been nothing that comes close.

I couldn't agree more. GT Time, for me, is the gold standard for gaming podcasts.

breakfuss

Damn this thread is STILL going. Shows how much their work was appreciated. It feels so strange not going to the site or YT channel everytime a new release happens. Loved their reviews.

sora87

GT Time is the only podcast I listened to every week without fail, and probably the only gaming podcast I cared about and looked forward to. Nothing else comes close, it was sincere, fun and just good vibes all round.

Their streams were my favorite thing they did though, especially the longer ones. Just felt like a bunch of buds hanging out having a good time.

Hasney

Got some random GT Time on from April 17th 2014, talking about the Bungie music guy leaving.

Damiani: "No company really wants one person to be attached to their games so they don't have to deal with the fallout if they ever leave. I mean, imagine Hideo Kojima leaving Konami".

wiibomb

Got some random GT Time on from April 17th 2014, talking about the Bungie music guy leaving.

Damiani: "No company really wants one person to be attached to their games so they don't have to deal with the fallout if they ever leave. I mean, imagine Hideo Kojima leaving Konami".

it is still surreal to think how much things changed in 2 years

13randO

They way Brandon was talking about on KF has me kind of envisioning some of them going freelance writing/production and then just doing streams/weekly podcast at first (with that being the starting point as shows, editorial content and Retrospectives being higher tiers of financing). Would make sense, but it is pure speculation on my part.
I'm pretty sure that's how Laser Time works for the old GamesRadar crew. They also work free lance and do a bunch of podcasts with Patreon support. As soon as I can, I'm so giving to both LT and whatever the GT staff has in the incubator.

GT Time is the only podcast I listened to every week without fail, and probably the only gaming podcast I cared about and looked forward to. Nothing else comes close, it was sincere, fun and just good vibes all round.

Their streams where my favorite thing they did though, especially the longer ones. Just felt like a bunch of buds hanging out having a good time.

If all they did was GT Time and E3/ Gaming events reactions I'd be ok.
Basically anything with them sitting around a table talking about games with Bosman hosting and Ian bringing balance to the good or bad vibes.

(I'm greedy, I also want the Final Bosman back)

LoveCake

I thought members would be interested in this video.

Former GameTrailers Editor in Chief Shane Satterfield shares his perspective on the rise and fall of the site after spending seven years with the company.

This is not the full video as it is a SIFTED video, so it's highlights, but thirty five minutes worth of highlights.

I would like to add, that I am NOT a SIFTED member or have anything to do with them other than I watch the Pach videos on YT.

This is a pretty informative video I have found, giving a perspective from somebody that was on the inside for sometime.

Ray Down

Banned
The Siftd GT retrospective is now on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqdBStO9jkE

Very interesting, man VIACOM really fucked GT with meddling especially the re platform (losing a bunch of content through re-directs).

I completely forgot about GT Motion.

Everyone should give this a listen, some people may not like Shane (I like him) but he really gets into what helped GT to get as big as it was and the failings that brought it down, how much ad-blocker hurt them and a bit on how DEFY never cared about GT. He talks about how he respects those that stayed for so long and worked even when they saw what was happening especially Brandon.

Shane goes into it about how DEFY handled the firing.

Very interesting, man VIACOM really fucked GT with meddling especially the re platform (losing a bunch of content through re-directs).
Viacom's player was such garbage that even with AdBlock and NoScript disabled, videos would randomly stop working partway through or never work at all. Eventually, I used AdBlock to scrape the streaming source URLs from videos, plop them in VLC, and even then I'd have a 50% chance of the video breaking partway through.

Hasney

I'm pretty sure that's how Laser Time works for the old GamesRadar crew. They also work free lance and do a bunch of podcasts with Patreon support. As soon as I can, I'm so giving to both LT and whatever the GT staff has in the incubator.

Oh neat, I was just thinking aloud. Glad to hear that might actually be a viable model.

Ray Down

Banned
Still nothing about the GT team getting together to start something new? :(

Y6BNnjt.gif

Philippo

I was wondering, if they form a group and start taking back their shows (FB, HH, MU), will they be able to use the same names or do they have some sort of copyright?

Still nothing about the GT team getting together to start something new? :(
Brandon says his goal is to announce the new thing by the end of the month (or at the very least, give people a name)

Suggests people from GT past may be involved (probably Damiani) and supposedly everyone is still on board to do it. He doesn't want to announce anything too early and doesn't want to make any promises like "yes ____ will be involved" and then have them get a way better job offer somewhere else

As of right now, it's coming. From what Brandon was saying on the Kinda Funny interview, streaming will be the focus from the get go (easiest for them to do), followed by video content. Reviews are low on the priority list, as they probably won't have the support to be a full fledged "review site"

13randO

Oh neat, I was just thinking aloud. Glad to hear that might actually be a viable model.

If anything, I can see them having jobs on other websites, and then they can meet a few times a week to do a podcast or something for additional revenue. Mikel from LT works at Ubiblog and Tyler (before he move to San Fan and was more active on LT), works for PC Gamer. I hope something like this is possible, with a good amount of Patreon support.

Drencrom

Brandon says his goal is to announce the new thing by the end of the month (or at the very least, give people a name)

Suggests people from GT past may be involved (probably Damiani) and supposedly everyone is still on board to do it. He doesn't want to announce anything too early and doesn't want to make any promises like "yes ____ will be involved" and then have them get a way better job offer somewhere else

As of right now, it's coming. From what Brandon was saying on the Kinda Funny interview, streaming will be the focus from the get go (easiest for them to do), followed by video content. Reviews are low on the priority list, as they probably won't have the support to be a full fledged "review site"

Hell yes! Can't wait to see what they've come up with

I really think they should ditch the editorial aspect when they start their new thing. It seems expensive, time consuming and pretty hard to differentiate from the hundreds of reviews on the internet. Personally I watched very few reviews and enjoyed their streams, podcasts and shows the most.

Mikey Jr.

I really think they should ditch the editorial aspect when they start their new thing. It seems expensive, time consuming and pretty hard to differentiate from the hundreds of reviews on the internet. Personally I watched very few reviews and enjoyed their streams, podcasts and shows the most.

Yep. Fuck the reviews. I barely watched them.

Focus on final bosman, huber hype, streams, gt time, reactions, and those vids where they would just sit down and talk about a game.

Also, a stream each day where they go through the days news, stuff that would be too small for a regular weekly podcast. But from there they can accept tips to read user questions on the air.

Honestly, now that I think about it, kinda funny does a LOT of things right. I watch every piece of content they make. They have a really good model that also engages their community.

I think the gt guys can learn a ton from them.

DMiz

While I agree that editorial content is probably the most time-consuming and expensive aspect of anything that the guys choose to produce, I hope they don't go away entirely.

There are some members of the team whose critiques I value and are also what I think of as their strongest contribution to the team. Blood, for example, is someone I highly respect when it comes to providing his final say on the quality of a game/experience. While Blood also does some streams and is a fantastic solid chair on GT Time, I think a new content team where there are no reviews at all while Blood is still there would feel strange.

OneUh8

I will co-sign on GT Time being my favorite content they did. Only a few podcasts I listen to every week and that was one no question. I will be ecstatic if it comes back in some form.

RedAssedApe

Banned
GT Time is the best game podcast I've ever listened to. Couldn't make it all the way through the 2 episodes listened to of that PS I Love You. Wasn't good at all.

i like gamescast and gameovergreggy wayyyyyy better than ps i love you. there is so much filler in the latter...i'm not even talking about the random stuff they talk about before the gaming related stuff starts. i feel like most of the episodes could be at least 1/3 shorter. like the segment on latest releases. I can't figure out if its supposed to be a joke segment or what...

maybe its just holdover inside joke stuff from beyond and i just don't "get it" though haha

mujun

I agree. They could talk about a game on whatever they replace GT Time with and give scores if they really wanted to.

I hope to see GT Time and the betting shows come back. A weekly podcast and a handful of specials a year.

i like gamescast and gameovergreggy wayyyyyy better than ps i love you. there is so much filler in the latter...i'm not even talking about the random stuff they talk about before the gaming related stuff starts. i feel like most of the episodes could be at least 1/3 shorter. like the segment on latest releases. I can't figure out if its supposed to be a joke segment or what...

maybe its just holdover inside joke stuff from beyond and i just don't "get it" though haha

That's exactly what it is. A lot of people were missing that when Colin and Greg left Podcast Beyond. I'm fine with the new Beyond, but many people were quite hostile to it and its structure (and still are). When the news was announced that Colin and Greg were starting a new podcast that hearkened back to their days on Podcast Beyond people were thrilled. For new fans, it may be impenetrable. I think Giant Bomb's Bombcast (another favorite of mine) is similar in its impenetrability for new listeners. You have to know the personalities and their style. It's perhaps similar to how some people loved GT's live E3 reactions, whereas some outsiders did not.

Hasney

Focus on final bosman, huber hype, streams, gt time, reactions, and those vids where they would just sit down and talk about a game.

Also, a stream each day where they go through the days news, stuff that would be too small for a regular weekly podcast. But from there they can accept tips to read user questions on the air.

Honestly, now that I think about it, kinda funny does a LOT of things right. I watch every piece of content they make. They have a really good model that also engages their community.

From what Brandon said, it'd be probably just streaming and maybe a podcast first, because you can just do those with no real cost other than time. Shows on another funding level because you need a place to shoot and edit them, then reviews pretty high up, because there's no point just reviewing a few games, he'd like to do at least the rate GT was doing I'm guessing. Finally, big stuff like Retrospectives at the top.

Ochi

Neo Member

I polity disagree with the above sentiments.

Fact of the matter is reviews were a big draw for both youtube and the website. While you might be only tuning in for the personalities instead of reviews, a solid chunk of traffic was made up of people who did the exact opposite. GTs reviews were in many ways one of bedrocks of the site. Going forward that might change, but it's my hope that it doesn't.

Besides if there are no more reviews, how will Brandon exercise his vocal chords and review voice?

I mean GT already did a stream every weekday, they briefly tried a daily news show with andrea rene which had middling results.

This isn't to say history will repeat itself or those things can't be incorporated, but I can't help but wonder about the viability of going full production mode, depending on the back end support they get for video editors

wiibomb

they will surely find a way, brandon has more than a decade in the business with even sneak peaks at other outlets, he knows what he could do.

but I think I disagree too with the statement of no reviews, I didn't found them too important either, but they are the main attractive for new audience to come and watch the content of the site/channel, they might not be able to get too far with only personality driven content, specially for new people who don't know anything about these guys.

people need an entry point to the site/channel.

ito007

they will surely find a way, brandon has more than a decade in the business with even sneak peaks at other outlets, he knows what he could do.

but I think I disagree too with the statement of no reviews, I didn't found them too important either, but they are the main attractive for new audience to come and watch the content of the site/channel, they might not be able to get too far with only personality driven content, specially for new people who don't know anything about these guys.

people need an entry point to the site/channel.
I agree with this sentiment. Reviews also give the team a bit of legitimacy when it comes to games. Just having "guys talk about games" is different from "knowledgeable guys talking about games."

El-Suave

I read in the CDPR thread that CD Projekt is looking to open branches in key territories - Bloodworth needs to apply for some position in the US office and they need to hire him. Would be a perfect match.

Top Bottom