• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

PepperedHam

I'm glad Kinda Funny had him on for this (looking forward to the rest of the episode) because they're very good at giving their guests time to talk. This entire half hour segment was mostly Brandon talking and that's a hell of a lot more than you could say for Co-Optional, even though admittedly Co-Optional and Gamescast are very different shows structurally.

I'm glad Kinda Funny had him on for this (looking forward to the rest of the episode) because they're very good at giving their guests time to talk. This entire half hour segment was mostly Brandon talking and that's a hell of a lot more than you could say for Co-Optional, even though admittedly Co-Optional and Gamescast are very different shows structurally.

If anything I was hoping Colin would add something to the conversation. He was silent the entire time.

Bizzquik

I'm glad Kinda Funny had him on for this (looking forward to the rest of the episode) because they're very good at giving their guests time to talk.

That's a great point. They asked him questions and let him answer them fully.

I know that seems simple, but far too few interviews actually go like that; too much of the interviewer putting themselves as the focus, rather than the other way around.

I'd never seen a Kinda Funny video until today. I may watch more regularly going forward now; I liked what I watched.

Well I also think that is part of the reason why they are going to start off with the shows and streaming that they know people want so they can get something out there and then go from there I think.

KF doesn't review games and give them scores. They do a 30 minute playthrough or part of their podcasts they just say whether they like a game or not but aren't full reviews. So it could take time to get to that point.

You're both wrong and right. They do review games (and major movie releases on their other channel), but don't score them. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy3mMHt2i7RLYBKTaywPura3qy1okMX5a

sora87

I'd be down for them to just play the game in the background and have a 20-30 minute discussion instead of the high production reviews.

wiibomb

That's a great point. They asked him questions and let him answer them fully.

I know that seems simple, but far too few interviews actually go like that; too much of the interviewer putting themselves as the focus, rather than the other way around.

I'd never seen a Kinda Funny video until today. I may watch more regularly going forward now; I liked what I watched.

unlike the co-optional podcast..

I couldn't believe how little time they let kyle talk, I didn't even bother with their podcast with brandon as guest.

Hasney

That's what I've been thinking about lately. All these NX threads and leaks and so on, man I really miss GT Time and everything else. It's really starting to sink in I think.

EDIT: Also Damiani just tweeted this: https://twitter.com/mbdamiani/status/706953785923342337

Annoyed Gamer is coming back? Damn.
Hype for possible retrospectives!
E3 without Final Bets would make me legitimately sad

I could see them doing that just for fun whatever happens. All you need is Huber, Bosman and a list of people on Skype at worst.

Where do you guys go for video reviews now? I've been using GT exclusively for over 10 years so I don't know any other and even worse, they all feel "wrong" now

You're both wrong and right. They do review games (and major movie releases on their other channel), but don't score them. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy3mMHt2i7RLYBKTaywPura3qy1okMX5a

I agree. I guess they are not traditional in terms of how reviews are done. I like them but I don't think of them as reviews for some reason. Since they don't feel like a review due to the fact that it is just 4 guys sitting around and talking about it. I like them but I never really thought of them as a review. Yes they are technically reviews though lol

Mikey Jr.

My only worry is that apparently everyone is on board.

Patreon ain't supporting 8 people or whatever. And if everyone is on board, I think there will be some hard cuts to make.

Patreon ain't supporting 8 people or whatever. And if everyone is on board, I think there will be some hard cuts to make.

My hunch is that Geoff may help fund but will let them do what they want. I could be totally wrong but I agree that supporting all of them through patreon is a lot.

Bizzquik

Where do you guys go for video reviews now? I've been using GT exclusively for over 10 years so I don't know any other and even worse, they all feel "wrong" now

Yeah, I had a routine where I would read the NeoGAF review thread - which would have 30+ reviews of an AAA game on the first post - and would then watch the GT video. Every time for a game I was interested in. Same routine for years.

Now I just read the GAF thread and it feels like a bunch of random opinions with no centralized consensus.
The thing I loved about the GT reviews is that they would literally show the instances that they had issues with in the game - either technical (bugs/frame drops) or artistic (dumb AI, no enemy variety). That's what made the GT reviews definitive for me: I could see, specifically, what worked and what didn't in the game. It just felt more thoughtful and purposefully helpful for the viewer.

wiibomb

wait... are there more quality content out there? because I haven't found that yet.

in all honesty, KF doesn't seem bad

E3 without Final Bets would make me legitimately sad

you just remembered me the sadness of a E3 without bosman/huber hype.

It was so good that I also made bets with my friend last year
(and he lost :D )

from the sound of brandon's interview, they are not planning of going only on patreon.

In fact, that model doesn't sustain these outlets, even Kinda Funny said so in the last month, the patreon is just some kind of way from them to know the support from the audience, but they even said they could do just fine without it.

I doubt Brandon i thinking of only going Patreon.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Depending on the content they commit to, they could each have the new project be their second jobs. At lower numbers of subscribers and the resulting fewer features, they might treat it a bonus job (almost like a consistent freelance opportunity) until it grows further. The bigger it becomes, the more money they'd make and the more time they'd have to commit.

In fact, that model doesn't sustain these outlets, even Kinda Funny said so in the last month, the patreon is just some kind of way from them to know the support from the audience, but they even said they could do just fine without it.

I doubt Brandon i thinking of only going Patreon.

They can't sustain themselves off $600,000 a year from their 2 Patreon accounts? They have a staff, of what, 5 people? Even after whatever overheat they have, I can't imagine they're pulling in much less than 100k each--off Patreon alone. I mean, I knew San Francisco is expensive, but I'm pretty sure they'd still be doing just fine on it without other means.

They can't sustain themselves off $600,000 a year from their 2 combined Patreon accounts? They have a staff, of what, 5 people? Even after whatever overheat they have, I can't imagine they're pulling in much less than 100k each--off Patreon alone. I mean, I knew San Francisco is expensive, but I'm pretty sure they'd still be doing just fine on it without other means.

They do have business expense too ya know. I'm sure they are each doing fine but not every dollar goes straight to them personally.

They do have business expense too ya know. I'm sure they are each doing fine but not every dollar goes straight to them personally.

I do know, hence why I said "overhead"--are you unfamiliar with the term? As I already stated, even accounting for 100k or less each, that leaves 100k+ for expenses (assuming a staff of 5 people; do they have more?)--which I'd be very surprised if they're even investing anywhere close to that much on equipment and travel. Unless they actually have an office now? (aren't they still filming out of G&C's house?)

The fact that they can say they would be fine even without the Patreon means they're likely doing extremely well for themselves.

2SeeKU

20110326_askgg_512.jpg

Good Game

They have two types of shows:

- Weekly Show
Latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvQQ0idxmJs

- Daily (My favourite)
Latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-YiG7KuGZo

Not as good as GT, especially as they just don't have the same level of content, but still awesome.

I do know, hence why I said "overhead"--are you unfamiliar with the term? As I already stated, even accounting for 100k or less each, that leaves 100k+ for expenses (assuming a staff of 5 people; do they have more?)--which I'd be very surprised if they're even investing anywhere close to that much on equipment and travel. Unless they actually have an office now? (aren't they still filming out of G&C's house?)

The fact that they can say they would be fine even without the Patreon means they're likely doing extremely well for themselves.

I know what overhead is. They are still filming in the house but have been talking about moving into a studio as well so I am sure they are saving a good amount of it at this point. I think a lot goes to them as well but they are apparently getting ready to move into a studio sometime in the future.

I know what overhead is. They are still filming in the house but have been talking about moving into a studio as well so I am sure they are saving a good amount of it at this point. I think a lot goes to them as well but they are apparently getting ready to move into a studio sometime in the future.

A studio would be an on-going expense as they'd almost certainly be renting a space instead of buying it, so saving up for it specifically doesn't really make sense--it's something they would budget for on an ongoing basis.

Either way, my point is that, even off Patreon alone, they're all doing pretty okay for themselves--and that's at the absolute worst, unless there's some massive expense I'm overlooking (like additional staff, or something).

A studio would be almost certainly be an on-going expense as they'd almost certainly be renting a space instead of buying it, so saving up for it specifically doesn't really make sense--it's something they would budget for on an ongoing basis.

Either way, my point is that, even off Patreon alone, they're all doing pretty okay for themselves--and that's at the absolute worst, unless there's some massive expense I'm overlooking (like additional staff, or something).

It makes sense if they want to put down a substantial amount for rent upfront. Also they are in SF so I wonder where they are looking to get a studio.

And agreed. I am not disputing that they are doing well.

Is there a big difference between the cost of living in LA and SF?

SF's cost of living is much higher than LA. I don't know how anyone who makes below 100K a year makes it there on your own. You must have 4-5 people sharing a single apartment or something, which doesn't sound like a good time unless you're somebody just getting out of college. I'm going to guess if you're willing to commute forever and a day to and from work, you might find something that won't put you into debt. I think people pointed out somewhere else that some of the Giant Bomb crew do a long commute to deal with the living situation. All my friends/colleagues who work or have worked in SF had to do the same thing, too.

LA is pricey, yes, but if you know where to look or are willing to commute, you can make ends meet on a pretty average salary. I mean, having a roommate or two makes living in LA, IMO, very manageable, but not everyone can do that. If you're on your own, it's pretty tough. You can maybe find studio apartments in remote parts of the San Fernando Valley or Orange County that are ~1000-1100 a month, but a 1 bedroom will start at a least ~1500 month if you're lucky or willing to commute. It's mostly people who want to live close to the happening spots (near downtown, near Santa Monica or anywhere on the west side) and avoid a lengthy commute courtesy of terribad traffic that are stuck with insane rent rates (those 1800-3000 a month for a 1 bedroom type places). But then again, some article came out recently saying 57% or so of the people living in LA can't afford to live there.

There is a way to make rent affordable if you know people, but again you have to be okay with any of the following: 1) roommates 2) probably living further away from the key hotspots in LA and 3) having to commute through one of the worst metro areas for traffic in the nation. But for those saying some people should just move to other parts of the country where it's more affordable, it's kind of hard when you're cut off from the resources you need to make your content. IMO, people have to stay in LA, it's where most of the industry is, it's where most of the biggest events are, etc. Maybe just being in SoCal is enough (so you could move to a cheaper part of the area outside of LA proper), but I'd personally want to be in CA for this type of thing.

Also, the other hotspots for this type of stuff ain't cheap, either. Austin, TX, is getting ridiculously expensive if you want to live anywhere near downtown. Dallas is also getting pretty expensive (my apartment complex has raised overall monthly rent for all lease terms by 200 dollars since I moved in in Dec 2014). New York is super expensive. Seattle is getting expensive. And you can't just live in "any part" of the country and do this. Basically in general, the rent's too damn high, so might as well stay put with your friends and a place you're familiar with rather than uprooting and moving for something like this. That's just my thoughts.

sora87

It makes sense if they want to put down a substantial amount for rent upfront. Also they are in SF so I wonder where they are looking to get a studio.

And agreed. I am not disputing that they are doing well.

Some of them said they wanted to move down south and open a studio there because it's cheaper, who knows what they'll end up doing though.

If the GT crew gets something together, Ben and Brad need their own show, The JRPG Corner or something. I need this in my life.
Yes I'm terrible with coming up with names for things.
Journey On? The Quest Takers?
Ben & Brad's Game Club of Ultimate Kawaii-Desu Waifus Saving the World from Grim Doom?

Some of them said they wanted to move down south and open a studio there because it's cheaper, who knows what they'll end up doing though.

If the GT crew gets something together, Ben and Brad need their own show, The JRPG Corner or something. I need this in my life.
Ben & Brad's Game Club of Ultimate Kawaii-Desu Waifus Saving the World from Grim Doom?

I was talking about KF in terms of the studio. But I thought all the GT guys lived in the LA area?

Also the last name just needs Ben-kun and Brad-kun and that title is set

sora87

I was talking about KF in terms of the studio. But I thought all the GT guys lived in the LA area?

Also the last name just needs Ben-kun and Brad-kun and that title is set

Yeah I was talking about the KF guys regards studio, probably could have made it more clear. I remember them talking about how studios down south were cheaper, but maybe that's changed since then.

Frankly, I had been astonished for a long time to know how many people worked at GT and that it hadn't shut down earlier, considering the paltry numbers displayed on their pages.

I'm also in the minority in feeling any pain from this. I used to sometimes listen to GT Time when I had to travel for work. It wasn't that good. It had one decent host combined with some really really uninteresting or annoying people. I'm sorry but many of these people are not really suited to comment on culture.

And anyway. This isn't the old GT we're talking about. We're talking about a GT that made a huge shift to court the Pew Die Pie demo, choosing wacky personalities, incessant mugging, and bad skits, over some good old fashioned interesting discussion.

I mean Huber's show and Ian's shows Mandatory Update were just flat out embarrassing, imo. Skits are hard. Satire and parody is very hard. The finest comedy writers fail at it. But GT didn't care that they were terrible, because they are courting the Pew Die Pie demo, that just want blind obnoxious enthusiasm. GT was never something I loved, but it certainly had turned into something even worse. Outside of one of them I don't really feel any of them have anything interesting to offer.

And LOL at that Kindafunny interview of Brendon. Not seen it all, but that one guy, who is usually talkative is not happy at all. It's funny. I think he doesn't want to discuss the state of their industry, because he's talking to the competition. And Bosman insulted him once. But, he's not even attempting to hide his disdain.

Myggen

Has any of the KF guys expressed interest in moving to LA?

Yeah I was talking about the KF guys regards studio, probably could have made it more clear. I remember them talking about how studios down south were cheaper, but maybe that's changed since then.

Ah got ya. That makes sense.

Frankly, I had been astonished for a long time to know how many people worked at GT and that it hadn't shut down earlier, considering the paltry numbers displayed on their pages.

I'm also in the minority in feeling any pain from this. I used to sometimes listen to GT Time when I had to travel for work. It wasn't that good. It had one decent host combined with some really really uninteresting or annoying people. I'm sorry but many of these people are not really suited to comment on culture.

And anyway. This isn't the old GT we're talking about. We're talking about a GT that made a huge shift to court the Pew Die Pie demo, choosing wacky personalities, incessant mugging, and bad skits, over some good old fashioned interesting discussion.

I mean Huber's show and Ian's shows Mandatory Update were just flat out embarrassing, imo. Skits are hard. Satire and parody is very hard. The finest comedy writers fail at it. But GT didn't care that they were terrible, because they are courting the Pew Die Pie demo, that just want blind obnoxious enthusiasm. GT was never something I loved, but it certainly had turned into something even worse. Outside of one of them I don't really feel any of them have anything interesting to offer.

And LOL at that Kindafunny interview of Brendon. Not seen it all, but that one guy, who is usually talkative is not happy at all. It's funny. I think he doesn't want to discuss the state of their industry, because he's talking to the competition. And Bosman insulted him once. But, he's not even attempting to hide his disdain.

Colin is just always mad. Also I really don't think they would have had Brendan on if they were pissy about it. When they have guests on Colin actually lets them talk.

Actually mad is the wrong word, but I do get that he comes off like he is mad when normally he is just listening to what people have to say.

PepperedHam

Come into a thread that has been an OT of sorts of GT fans just to say how much you think they're shit? What's your point? I'm all for discussing things but catering the PewDiePie demo? Really? Did you even watch Final Bosman? Mandatory Update? Did you even watch their video reviews, which were easily the best out of the big outlets? What the hell are you even talking about? Bosman and Huber were fantastic together. And hearing Ben talk about games is wonderful. I love the way he talks about games. Hearing him talk about No Man's Sky during their E3 GT Time episodes was so infectious. They were great personalities.

Dmax3901

I was going to say that maybe they're just not your thing but your Pew Die Pie comments show you're completely off your head.

Tankard

Your username suits you well.

And you clearly have also no idea what you are talking about Colin, "who usually is talkative", lol.

Colin is just always mad. Also I really don't think they would have had Brendan on if they were pissy about it. When they have guests on Colin actually lets them talk.

Actually mad is the wrong word, but I do get that he comes off like he is mad when normally he is just listening to what people have to say.

But Colin can be really talkative as well. He has by far the most to say of the three. Glasses frequently seems to be at a loss for words in fact. I know what you mean about Colin sometimes listening intently.

But, hell, just for the sake of not being awkward and rude, you would expect him to say at least one thing. He's just sitting there, looking here, looking there, nodding against his will. Something more is going on. Just speculation, but I think he has a lot to say about what they are talking about, but perhaps he doesn't want to give his insights away to his rivals.

tumblr_o14s0jyN3w1v5w8sco1_500.png

New GT tackling the "PewDiePie" crowd? Huber not being funny? Mandatory Update trying too hard? And then you do this weird projection on the guys at KindaFunny?

You're a real joke lol

Come into a thread that has been an OT of sorts of GT fans just to say how much you think they're shit? What's your point? I'm all for discussing things but catering the PewDiePie demo? Really? Did you even watch Final Bosman? Mandatory Update? Did you even watch their video reviews, which were easily the best out of the big outlets? What the hell are you even talking about? Bosman and Huber were fantastic together. And hearing Ben talk about games is wonderful. I love the way he talks about games. Hearing him talk about No Man's Sky during their E3 GT Time episodes was so infectious. They were great personalities.

I'm sorry is there a rule, where the length of the thread means no criticism is allowed? You are free to disagree with me, but please don't enforce arbitrary rules.

I never said shit. You said that. Criticism is another thing. Try not to take things so personally.

And it's surprising anyone could not understand Huber is a naked attempt at capturing the Youtube demographic. Mugging and jumping up and down like a maniac. Just like every single big time youtube game star. Well, a lot of them. Obviously the youtube demo is very young and very big and very lucrative.

GT tried to appeal to the new demographic. Or did I miss all the bad skits, bad humor, and mugging during the Shane era? Since then, the game has changed. It's not a big deal. GT, as we now know, has been in deep trouble. Why wouldn't they retool a little to capture a piece of the market that rules games media? I don't blame them. They had to try. But I don't have to like it.

Okay, we can debate pedantically how much they did actually change. But change they did, and that's not why I per se dislike GT. That was just some commentary on the distasteful direction the site had taken. I dislike GT, because I find almost every single one of the staff to be mostly untalented and uninteresting, regardless of the direction of the site.

And LOL at Mandatory Updates. Completely fascinating for how astonishingly bad it was. The GT ppl seem nice. But the bar should be a little higher than being nice or being enthusiastic.

Top Bottom