• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Szeth

Huber is huber, has nothing to do with trying to get the youtube demographic. What the fuck am I reading? GT was never about screaming or being loud. These posts make my brain hurt. There is probably close to 0% crossover with GT's audience and people like pewdiepie

PepperedHam

I'm sorry is there a rule, where the length of the thread means no criticism is allowed? You are free to disagree with me, but please don't enforce arbitrary rules.

I never said shit. You said that. Criticism is another thing. Try not to take things so personally.

And it's surprising anyone could not understand Huber is a naked attempt at capturing the Youtube demographic. Mugging and jumping up and down like a maniac. Just like every single big time youtube game star. Well, a lot of them. Obviously the youtube demo is very young and very big and very lucrative.

GT tried to appeal to the new demographic. Or did I miss all the bad skits, bad humor, and mugging during the Shane era? Since then, the game has changed. It's not a big deal. GT, as we now know, has been in deep trouble. Why wouldn't they retool a little to capture a piece of the market that rules games media? I don't blame them. They had to try. But I don't have to like it.

Okay, we can debate pedantically how much they did actually change. But change they did, and that's not why I per se dislike GT. That was just some commentary on the distasteful direction the site had taken. I dislike GT, because I find almost every single one of the staff to be mostly untalented and uninteresting, regardless of the direction of the site.

And LOL at Mandatory Updates. Completely fascinating for how astonishingly bad it was. The GT ppl seem nice. But the bar should be a little higher than being nice or being enthusiastic.
Didn't have to say it when your post says it for you, I summed up what you said. I'm not enforcing arbitrary rules, I said that because I'm not sure what kind of response you would be expecting when the thread is at 90 pages of GT fans discussing their future. Sitting there and saying each one is untalented makes you look like a super douche, which is obviously the persona you like to give off given your home run of a username.

If reviews are so costly why not just have Just Played for every major game? I honestly enjoyed the Just Played of Persona 4 with Huber, Brad and Ben more than their legit review (as one example).

Bizzquik

Guys, ignore him.
He came in here to mix it up - and now he's said his peace.

No one benefits from an attempt at dialogue.
Leave him be.

2SeeKU

If reviews are so costly why not just have Just Played for every major game? I honestly enjoyed the Just Played of Persona 4 with Huber, Brad and Ben more than their legit review (as one example).

Agreed.

I don't really need a score, just whether they liked it or not.

sora87

It is and so is derailing a thread, if anyone really cares they should report it to a mod. Otherwise I'd say ignore it and move on.

Edit: are any of the guys streaming this week?

Huber streamed some PvZ garden warfare before, Damiani is gonna stream more twilight princess on friday, brad's been streaming overwatch loads. That's all I know.

It is and so is derailing a thread, if anyone really cares they should report it to a mod. Otherwise I'd say ignore it and move on.

Edit: are any of the guys streaming this week?

Just follow them on twitch and get sign up for the email to notify you if they are streaming or check their twitter pages.

Huber normally puts up a schedule.

dickroach

I watched the KF thing with Brandon at like 10am and he said something like "there's probably still people in the GT twitch chat right now" and there absolutely was. Pretty cool

I am definitely with those who are hoping against the odds for a quick enough turn around that the GT crew is able to do some decent coverage for E3. They are such an integral part of my gaming media experience and it just won't be as enjoyable without them.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Frankly, I had been astonished for a long time to know how many people worked at GT and that it hadn't shut down earlier, considering the paltry numbers displayed on their pages.

I'm also in the minority in feeling any pain from this. I used to sometimes listen to GT Time when I had to travel for work. It wasn't that good. It had one decent host combined with some really really uninteresting or annoying people. I'm sorry but many of these people are not really suited to comment on culture.

And anyway. This isn't the old GT we're talking about. We're talking about a GT that made a huge shift to court the Pew Die Pie demo, choosing wacky personalities, incessant mugging, and bad skits, over some good old fashioned interesting discussion.

I mean Huber's show and Ian's shows Mandatory Update were just flat out embarrassing, imo. Skits are hard. Satire and parody is very hard. The finest comedy writers fail at it. But GT didn't care that they were terrible, because they are courting the Pew Die Pie demo, that just want blind obnoxious enthusiasm. GT was never something I loved, but it certainly had turned into something even worse. Outside of one of them I don't really feel any of them have anything interesting to offer.

And LOL at that Kindafunny interview of Brendon. Not seen it all, but that one guy, who is usually talkative is not happy at all. It's funny. I think he doesn't want to discuss the state of their industry, because he's talking to the competition. And Bosman insulted him once. But, he's not even attempting to hide his disdain.

I'll agree with some of this because i rarely watched GT, unless it was countdown videos or bonus round. Sometimes i'll see an episode of final bosman, but the rest of it was bad. GT time podcast was really not good. but thats my opinion. I was more sad at the end of 1up yours and 1up.com

They need to come back, what they had at GT was magical , the shows I watched (Final Bosman, GT live, First fifteen , just played) and the streams were great .

Is there a post shwoing their twitch names? Might be helpful to have until they start something up.

Kyle
http://www.twitch.tv/kylebosman/profile

Brad
http://www.twitch.tv/bradborne/profile

Ben
http://www.twitch.tv/benmoore034/profile

Huber
http://www.twitch.tv/huber_hype/profile

Brandon
http://www.twitch.tv/trailerjones/profile

Ian
http://www.twitch.tv/ianhinck/profile

Also... Damiani might be coming back?

Michael Damiani ‏@mbdamiani 8 hrs8 hours ago
Just wanted to say there are some discussions going on right now that could lead to the return of certain video content you want back.

https://twitter.com/mbdamiani/status/706953785923342337

El-Suave

What I hope to get from them going forward are those discussion formats of various lenghts about various topics/games and current events. Two or more people on a couch or at a table talking about stuff. Nothing fancy. Every time something important happens, I feel how much I miss GT and their input. The same goes for reviews, but I don't need every game reviewed in depth and at the high quality bar GT allowed. Let's Plays and streams are fine and there are many people who like them, so they should keep doing those as well, but they're not really my cup of tea. Any shows they could keep doing would be greatly appreciated of course. The interview on Kinda Funny was great and gave me a lot of hope that there is a future like that for some of them.

wait... are there more quality content out there? because I haven't found that yet.

in all honesty, KF doesn't seem bad

you just remembered me the sadness of a E3 without bosman/huber hype.

It was so good that I also made bets with my friend last year
(and he lost :D )

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is KF?

Oh and E3 will never be the same for me at least, nor will anything top last one. Watched it damn live like 3 in the morning couldn't scream with joy but I wanted. It was a lot of fist bumping that night :p

I pledged to their Patreon so that I could listen to the rest of the podcast.
They plan by the end of this month to at least have a name out there.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Is shitposting bannable?

I don't agree with any of his comments but this is not shitposting. If he was shitposting then he would have said something along the lines of 'GT sucks, I'm glad it's gone'.

And it's surprising anyone could not understand Huber is a naked attempt at capturing the Youtube demographic. Mugging and jumping up and down like a maniac. Just like every single big time youtube game star. Well, a lot of them. Obviously the youtube demo is very young and very big and very lucrative.

Big part of Huber's Hype was nostalgia as he talked a lot about old games, which doesn't really cater to the PewDiePie demographic. So maybe that wasn't his intention? Or was he just bad at targetting Youtube viewers, in your opinion?

SPAW

I don't agree with any of his comments but this is not shitposting. If he was shitposting then he would have said something along the lines of 'GT sucks, I'm glad it's gone'.

There is evidently a fine line between shiteposters and shiteposts...

Auctopus

One of the reasons GT was so good was the way their personalities bounced off each other and evened themselves out.

I don't blame anyone for assuming that Huber has that Youtube demographic style now that he's been isolated. However, if you watch old shows (even going back to his first E3 with Plessas), you can see that its just genuine passion and excitement.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
One of the reasons GT was so good was the way their personalities bounced off each other and evened themselves out.

I don't blame anyone for assuming that Huber has that Youtube demographic style now that he's been isolated. However, if you watch old shows (even going back to his first E3 with Plessas), you can see that its just genuine passion and excitement.

I found Huber extremely irritating, but his enthusiasm did seem genuine to me.

There is evidently a fine line between shiteposters and shiteposts...

That guy's post was like an article in New Yorker compared to some of the actual shitposting on here

SPAW

I found Huber extremely irritating, but his enthusiasm did seem genuine to me.

That guy's post was like an article in New Yorker compared to some of the actual shitposting on here

I tried to imply that his or her intent was obviously to stir some feathers, but the post in itself was not shiteposting. sorry for being unclear.

Markitron

I tried to imply that his or her intent was obviously to stir some feathers, but the post in itself was not shiteposting. sorry for being unclear.

No I actually got that, and was elaborating on the bolded, crossed wires.

It's in pretty poor taste to come into a thread full of positivity and proceed to tell everyone that you hate a thing, more so considering the circumstances here.

I'm not gonna go into a Halo/Coldplay/Simon Pegg/Resi 6 thread and just moan for the sake of it. Because I really fucking hate all those things.

I always enjoyed the Just Played episodes more. They were also more insightful and helpful than the reviews for me.

There's also the fact that you can't do something like the Life is Strange Just Played between Elyse and Huber in a review. For me it's just the more interesting format.

I'll agree with some of this because i rarely watched GT, unless it was countdown videos or bonus round. Sometimes i'll see an episode of final bosman, but the rest of it was bad. GT time podcast was really not good. but thats my opinion. I was more sad at the end of 1up yours and 1up.com

Name me a better gaming podcast that has a good discussion about game announcements, news and the industry in one hour, with little to no off-topic shit.

Since GT Time I started listening to the Beastcast and it's still not as good at that and still way too long, even at 1.5x speed.

Markitron

Did I miss something? Does the GT-Crew have a patreon now?

I think he is referring to the Kinda Funny patreon that had Brandon on as a guest. They have only uploaded the first quarter to YouTube.

Ochi

Neo Member
GT tried to appeal to the new demographic. Or did I miss all the bad skits, bad humor, and mugging during the Shane era? Since then, the game has changed. It's not a big deal. GT, as we now know, has been in deep trouble. Why wouldn't they retool a little to capture a piece of the market that rules games media? I don't blame them. They had to try. But I don't have to like it.

While I suspect you've exited the thread, I'd like to point out that your view on GT is kind of trapped to like 3 years ago. Shane's been gone for awhile and not long after GT was sold to defy.

the editorial and show format changes GT underwent during the late viacom/early defy eras were necessary and while it's true you didn't need to enjoy the personality driven content, I have to question then, what did you used to GT for?

Just reviews? Invisible walls? (which was still personality driven even if you don't see the people) Retrospectives? Annoyed Gamer? Pach Attack? GTTV? Hosted content like screwattack, AVGN & HAWP?

After the mass layoffs most of the other shows became almost impossible to produce since the layoffs removed a major asset from GT in the form of the vast majority of their video editors. The partner content dried up undoubtedly as the contracts finished and weren't renewed.

I've seen many opinions similar to yours of people who mostly checked out after Shane and Viacom pulled out.

I can remember being a bit hesitant to accept the new format all those years ago too, but that was more to do with the fact that I hadn't yet gotten to know most of the new faces. If you listened to Invisible Walls at the time, it was almost always composed of the same 4-6 people on the written editorial team at the time as they sort of delved a bit deeper into the news and a major release/game review from that week.

The new school of GT had still yet to be broken in and be known beyond their early shows, for those of us who stuck around or joined in after the new shows started taking off, you got to know the new GT pretty well and intimately as people and that in itself was a big part of the appeal, they weren't just onscreen personas but fairly real people up there.

In short, I guess if you'd like more of the "old GT" Shane has his own website siftd.net which you can go look at if it floats your boat.

Second part of the Kinda Funny Gamescast with Brandon is now online.

Interestingly he mentions that "it might not just be the nine of us" and that maybe people who were with GT in the past may be joining them too. This all but confirms the speculation from that Damiani tweet the other day, right?

Oh and we should hopefully have a name and directive for the new venture by the end of the month!

This makes it seem like they have some outside financing or startup money outside of potentially Patreon or a GB subscription style. Most assumed they would need to staff down.

wiibomb

Second part of the Kinda Funny Gamescast with Brandon is now online.

Interestingly he mentions that "it might not just be the nine of us" and that maybe people who were with GT in the past may be joining them too. This all but confirms the speculation from that Damiani tweet the other day, right?

And we should hopefully have a name and directive for the new venture by the end of the month!

finally!! we now have an expected time when they could be announcing the next thing.

and that also gives me hope of not having a bosmanless E3.. I would be so happy

Nice to hear from Brandon that he wants to get the plans out there and what the name is before the end of the month. So here's to hoping for some nice news this month!

Huber is huber, has nothing to do with trying to get the youtube demographic. What the fuck am I reading? GT was never about screaming or being loud. These posts make my brain hurt. There is probably close to 0% crossover with GT's audience and people like pewdiepie

GT was really good.

I really liked their history of games videos and their review content.

They seemed pretty fair in general and had quite a good bit of unique content.

Just like when CVG died (RIP) I will miss GT as one of those outlets that actually gave sensible games coverage.

Hasney

All the earlier grave pissing

uFPxNvc.gif

Everything sounds good. Even if I'm not about at the times they stream, I'll probably chuck something over to get towards a goal of bringing shows back.

Nice to hear from Brandon that he wants to get the plans out there and what the name is before the end of the month. So here's to hoping for some nice news this month!

If it's just GT Time like every week, I'll be happy. The past few months, it was something I really really looked forward to.

Top Bottom