• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards 2015 dated for December 3rd.

I thought it was really quite good for its inaugural event last year. Hopefully they flesh out a few things and get some more participation/reveals this year.

I'll be watching again.

Umibozu

Makes sure those bums wear suits this year, that double fine guy was embarrassing last year. Have more respect for your own industry's award show

Come on, let's not be negative. I think it's great that developers are recognized for their accomplishments and given awards. The more these award shows happen, the more we can celebrate the awesome games we play every year.

Plus being able to see some of the stuff that's coming up in the next year is a big positive as well.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm looking forward to it. Last year's show was pretty rough around the edges, but there were some great moments and the concept has a lot of potential. I like Geoff Keighley, and it's abundantly clear that he just wants to give us a spectacle we can all be proud of. A Herculean task, honestly, given a lot of the realities of this industry. But I have to applaud Geoff for how much of himself he's putting into getting it right.

Well said.

Hopefully they will only pace things better (like not giving awards offscreen), but I'll totally be there watching. Last year's was great!

entremet

This is online so I'm sure that the same ratings pressure isn't in effect here. I also believe that last year's Game Awards (that was on a Friday) did better than the previous VGAs anyway.

But anyway, I'm simply saying it because I would prefer it to be on a day in which I don't have to think about going into work in the morning (haha).

Still viewership is affected. You won't get as much as a weekdays.

Vibranium

Banned
I really liked last year, but I do hope more awards are awarded on stage this time and there is a wider category of nominations.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't call this the closest thing to its own Oscars the video game industry has. There's the BAFTA Games Awards and Game Developers Choice Awards. Those I feel are closer to the Oscars.

Anyway, I'll watch this. The show last year was quite entertaining.

Majestad

Banned
Come on, let's not be negative. I think it's great that developers are recognized for their accomplishments and given awards. The more these award shows happen, the more we can celebrate the awesome games we play every year.

Plus being able to see some of the stuff that's coming up in the next year is a big positive as well.

That's not what these awards are. Last year they spent more time giving an award to "Best internet personality" or some garbage like that than best developer. Oh, and Dragon Age Inquisition won GOTY. Over Bayonetta 2.

The reveals are basically my favorite things about Geoff's shows. What with Nintendo being silent and Sony blowing their load at conferences every other month, I'm not sure what's gonna be announced here unless Microsoft has something up their sleeves.

Oozer3993

I'm looking forward to it. Last year's show was pretty rough around the edges, but there were some great moments and the concept has a lot of potential. I like Geoff Keighley, and it's abundantly clear that he just wants to give us a spectacle we can all be proud of. A Herculean task, honestly, given a lot of the realities of this industry. But I have to applaud Geoff for how much of himself he's putting into getting it right.

Couldn't have said it better myself. While rough, there was plenty of potential in the show last year. I'm very happy to see it come back.

Last year's show is going to be tough to top, although I'm still baffled that Dragon Age won GotY. Still, Imagine Dragons playing with Koji Kondo was amazing.

BuggyMike

Come on Nintendo you said you'd talk about the NX in 2016 lets just get a small teaser here. Okay fine I'll take my Zelda gameplay please.

That's not what these awards are. Last year they spent more time giving an award to "Best internet personality" or some garbage like that than best developer. Oh, and Dragon Age Inquisition won GOTY. Over Bayonetta 2.

the "Industry Icon" award was pretty awesome with them recognizing Ken & Roberta Williams, and having Neil Druckman be the presenter for that. The segment was also around 10 min long, so saying "thats not what these awards are" isn't really true. That was legitimate and genuine recognition and appreciation.

Also, Dragon Age Inquisition was a great game. Deserved GOTY imo. Obviously the judges panel thought so too.

As for this year, while I think Witcher 3 is a great game, I cannot say it is undeserved if MGSV or Bloodborne win it. Heck even Fallout 4 or Battlefront could take it.

Last year they spent more time giving an award to "Best internet personality" or some garbage like that than best developer.

That award was very ill-conceived, or at least very poorly timed. Giving TotalBiscuit an award just after the peak of GamerGate...not a good look.

Liamc723

You guys have a funny idea of what a "bad" year is.
2015 is/was full of broken, unpolished and unfinished games but thats okay.

2015 saw Life Is Strange, Bloodborne, Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Until Dawn and many others.

The 2 games that got the most GOTY awards last year were Dragon Age: Inquisition and Shadow Of Mordor. Neither of those games would even make it into a top 5 list in 2015.

EhoaVash

pls new zelda u footage.

man this year's GOTY is stacked

mgsv - shit ending/badly paced story
witcher 3 - boring ass combat
arkham knight - padding the game with tank combat
fallout 4 - last gen looking game
bloodborne - long ass loading times and boring end game.

worth mentioning

cod black ops 3 - lol its yearly cod
mario maker - lol it on wii u
just cause 3 - lool this game isn't out yet
xenoblade x - lol this game is anime as fuck

NuttSack

2015 saw Life Is Strange, Bloodborne, Dying Light, The Witcher 3, Until Dawn and many others.

The 2 games that got the most GOTY awards last year were Dragon Age: Inquisition and Shadow Of Mordor. Neither of those games would even make it into a top 5 list in 2015.
That's subjective to you, here lemme be nitpicky.
Life is Strange : super powers with teenage angst
Loadborne
Dying Light : superfluous crap all over the place
TW3 : horrendous combat
Until Dawn : nothing mind blowing

Those are the top 5 games of 2015? What a crappy year it has been!

I'm being facetious, but you get the point.

Dennis

Banned
pls new zelda u footage.

worth mentioning

TXM02MB.gif

Majestad

Banned
pls new zelda u footage.

worth mentioning

Quit gaming.

Top Bottom