• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Sadly I guess I don't have much faith in the future of consoles if PS4 fans could simply jump to the competition because of "tech adventage" and not for the actual games.

How do you think ps4 got such a huge lead to begin with? How many lol900p threads were there when comparing ps4 and Xbox one versions of games? how many people jumped from 360 to ps4 because of it? Cmon now.

spons

Gold Member
This is my only concern. If they're not including uhd blu-ray and HDR, I can't figure out why they're bothering with the upgrade. If it's not to help sell their expensive tv's and discs, why are they doing it?

Extra juice for VR?

DryvBy

If it's 36CU, so double PS4 GPU, it might means it's a 40CU chip with 4CU disabled. R9 390 is a 40CU. So it might be physically a R9 390 equivalent, in the same sense that PS4 GPU is an HD7870 physically, in the core count. But in term of raw power, because of the clocks and the disabled CUs, PS4 is closer to HD7850 and PS4K might be closer to R9 280x.

In comparison, here's a benchmark. And here.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This Is just the expected slim with a.boost in specs so if you don't buy slims nothings.changed it's literally only.a.positive imo

Exactly. Only thing ppl might need to worry about is n3DS scenarios. But for that we have to wait to see if that actually happens.

What I am trying to understand is...it was fine to spend extra money for a lateral move with slim revisions in the past....but its a terrible idea to spend extra for better specs...

Those that dont want it? Just wait til PS5. If enough ppl dont buy the Neo that will probably send a message to Sony. Even if very lil buy the Neo, if the price they PS4 right Sony can still sell a boat load of PS4's.

The worse that happens is Sony loses money with this plan if it doesnt sell well. Some do make a good point about being cautious about getting the PS5 tho...so Sony better be careful.

I mean, I could understand if this really was them trying to push towards a phone-esque model, where you are basically releasing a completely new model of PS4 every year, and banking people upgrading every couple of years and leaving prior models obsolete, but that doesn't appear to be what is happening here. The PS4 is still the PS4 and I think Sony wants to keep it that way. This is probably less about existing users upgrading (though I'm sure a portion of the base will) and more about keeping the platform attractive and relevant for new buyers as the years go buy. I just bought a HORI fight stick. It has better buttons than the model released last year. Is that a "slap in the face' to people that bought that fight stick? Or is that just how a majority of consumer products work nowadays? TV models get refreshed with better features every year. Some people just need to be dragged kicking and screaming towards any sort of change though.

I wanted to use the cell phone comparisons when all this started but I always see a push back from that. TV's tho....is a good comparison IMO.

Your viewing pleasure is whatever you want it to be: stay 720p, standard def and you can still see your stuff. If you wanna see improved visuals, etc you get better tech.

All this being upset right now...just seem like a "No! I just got my new shiny" type deal. Lets wait to see if the n3DS scenario actually happens first before we plan to burn down Sony HQ.

And lmao@ PSPoor and Povertystation 4

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
It suggests that Sony and AMD have pushed the boat out, that they are using the upcoming Polaris technology.

So Eurogamer think new architecture. Let's hope this is the case as the upgraded bandwidth (which looks insignificant) might not be as big an issue.

I don't see the issue, but if someone could explain to me the main keypoints of why I as a day one PS4 user should be concerned.

It sounds like this would be able to run 4k blu-rays and stream in 4k correct? As much as I would like a boost in power to have more frames in my game I understand why some PS4 users would feel that they are being phased out.

I will be picking one up if I can trade in my old PS4. I'm hoping for more storage space and external storage options.

This not an improvement normal people will upgrade for. The PS4 just lands (relatively) in a position where the Xbox One is atm.

Actually, there's a bigger percentage difference in power and absolute difference in power between the PS4 and PS4K than PS4 and Xbox One.

It's equivalent to going from a 7850 to a 380x(rebranded 280x) on the PC side in power and DF is saying the GPU is based on Polaris so improved architecture too. The CPU jump is underwhelming.

RaijinFY

So Eurogamer think new architecture. Let's hope this is the case as the upgraded bandwidth (which looks insignificant) might not be as big an issue.

Wasn't that obvious....???

It has 36CU... which is related to Polaris leak two weeks ago. None of previous AMD offerings had any GPU with 36CU enabled.

Audioboxer

Any existing PS4 owners feel like this is a kick in the teeth?
This just has "we didn't futureproof the first PS4 but we've fixed that with this new PS4" written all over it.

How can the components ready now to go into a small box with weak cooling have been ready 3 years ago?

People need to understand how technology advances. Nothing is inherently "future proof", it simply allows things to run as they did in 2013 the same in 2016 (with minor improvements console devs tend to squeeze out with OS optimisation).

Find it funny people expecting a trade in program. Do other electronic manufacturers offer a trade in when a new improved device is released for sale? Nope. Recycling is not the same either. I recycle my iPhone separately to purchasing a new iPhone.

Gamestop does trade-in promotions literally every time a new model of any console/handheld is released.

BKSmash

I haven't owned a sony console since ps2 and just borrowing ps4 from my cousin to play Ratchet & Clank, but I gotta admit.. This is the right step for consoles in the future right here! Buy something that lets your console upgrade. I hope all three companies start delivering to this style.

Fady K

For $500 dollars I almost want to see them have exclusives and see how far they could push it.

That is an interesting incentive for current owners to upgrade; though at the same time it is very risky. It can fragment the audience somehow and it can piss off a lot of PS4 owners - especially newer ones.

RaijinFY

btw, there might a typo on the bandwidth figure. 218GB/s is a weird number. I think it's either 224GB/s (that would be correspond to a memory clocked at 7Gbps) or 208GB/s (memory frequency at 6.5Gbps).

he means the casuals

and yes we're all abnormal
this is the first time a console generation is going to experience an incremental upgrade. when it's fully public we can't predict how the vast majority is going to react. but judging off of everything i've seen is pretty goddamn mixed.

00ich

Actually, there's a bigger percentage difference in power and absolute difference in power between the PS4 and PS4K than PS4 and Xbox One.

While that is a questionable metric the visual difference usually plays out a lot less dramatic. See Xbo

DF is saying the GPU is based on Polaris so improved architecture too.
If the GPU cores make a generation leap it becomes a literal game changer, but I somehow find that unlikely. Except that's already aimed at a PS4/2020 upgrade.

Theorry

So can this push a ratchet and clank for example to 60fps?
Because that game is already locked at 30 so you dont really get that frame benefit then if it doesnt get to 60.

Teletraan1

Banned
Not every game is Assassin's Creed Unity.

There are plenty of games that drop down to 25FPS when there is actually something going on in the game. AC:U was not the only game on PS4 with performance issues. JC3, FO4, DA:I, TW3 all spent time in the 25fps or lower range when gameplay actually matters. So thinking that this new PS4 changes anything is just fear mongering at best. The developers didn't care to lock their PS4 games to a proper refresh rate before and they won't after this product is released.

Snakey125

From what I read on other forum, more likely case is 4K@30 or 1080@30 with better effect, 1080@60 will less likely because CPU not powerful enough.

People like you who keep saying it will do 4K are living in a fantasy. It won't even be near 4K alone when it comes to games. If anything, it will be the fact the chipset has a basic understanding of the 4K resolution for images and movies.

mitchlol

So... Is the NX now dead in the water with a new PS4 on the horizon and PSVR?... Only so many hardware dollars to go around. I'd be quite annoyed if I was heading Nintendo and knew I had to contend with an already meteorically popular console that has a library spanning more than 3 years.

Caio

to which Nvidia card does the NEO compare?

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/50277106856370176
""Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.""

It doesn't make much sense comparing a GPU into a closed environment(PS4 NEO), to a PC GPU for the reason above.

By the way, the NEO GPU will be around 4TF, In comparison, the GTX Titan has 4.5TF; just imagine what NEO exclusive Games will look like... with this power in a closed environment ! ;)

Yeah unless they lied or underestimated something
It depends on how recent the drives. It might not be able to be patched in.
Right now you can upscale but not play it natively.

So... Is the NX now dead in the water with a new PS4 on the horizon and PSVR?... Only so many hardware dollars to go around. I'd be quite annoyed if I was heading Nintendo and knew I had to contend with an already meteorically popular console that has a library spanning more than 3 years.
I am not going to write off NX until we know more. Of course it will be underpowered but Nintendo has been falling behind since GC days. Right now the rumor is around PS4 level.

Falchion

I've had a PS4 for launch but I honestly have no clue if this is appealing enough to me to get me to upgrade. I'll wait and see if enough games make use of the new power and if people think it's worth the price just for a little upgrade.

Red Devil

How do you think ps4 got such a huge lead to begin with? How many lol900p threads were there when comparing ps4 and Xbox one versions of games? how many people jumped from 360 to ps4 because of it? Cmon now.

The majority of people that owns a PS4 is unaware of that nor they visit NeoGAF or any video game forum.

I don't see the issue, but if someone could explain to me the main keypoints of why I as a day one PS4 user should be concerned.

It sounds like this would be able to run 4k blu-rays and stream in 4k correct? As much as I would like a boost in power to have more frames in my game I understand why some PS4 users would feel that they are being phased out.

I will be picking one up if I can trade in my old PS4. I'm hoping for more storage space and external storage options.

The only concern would be if PS4 base versions are poorly optimized and Sony certification drops the ball on curbing such events.

The other concerns that the higher benchmark will discourage advancements in developing techniques to deal with the limitations of set harware, and that the gen has been a slow burn to where a new box every 4 years isn't comparable to that traditional turnover in past generations, are not as relevant to a day 1 PS4 consumer.

The only concern would be if PS4 base versions are poorly optimized and Sony certification drops the ball on curbing such events.
Pretty much my worry, I was hoping the BASE guidelines would be all games had to be 720P 30FPS at least. It seems the only rule is no exclusive stuff for games played on a NEO. Says nothing about performance.

The other concerns that the higher benchmark will discourage advancements in developing techniques to deal with the limitations of set harware, and that the gen has been a slow burn to where a new box every 4 years isn't comparable to that traditional turnover in past generations, are not as relevant to a day 1 PS4 consumer.

Great two points, thanks for bringing them to my attention. The second point is really interesting to me, will this delay technological advances if the improvements are so minor. . hmm I hope not but I can see how it would.

With the language in the OP, I am assuming that this will get announced at E3? Has Sony announced what day their conference will be?

onQ123

" GPU: This is the most exciting aspect of the spec. Compute unit count doubles from 18 to 36, and clock-speed increases from 800MHz to 911MHz - a 14 per cent increase. That's an overall increase of 2.3x in FLOPs. The question is, what technology is being used here? AMD has created both of its current-gen console processors so far by taking older, off-the-shelf components and disabling a couple of compute units. In effect, Xbox One got the Radeon HD 7790, while PlayStation 4 got a more capable, semi-custom Radeon HD 7870. Here's where things get interesting - the 36 compute unit count cannot comfortably fit any of AMD's existing GPUs. It suggests that Sony and AMD have pushed the boat out, that they are using the upcoming Polaris technology.

Specifically, 36 compute units paired with a 256-bit memory bus sounds uncannily like the rumoured spec for one of two new Radeon graphics chips AMD has in development, codenamed Polaris 10. AMD itself hasn't revealed any official data on this processor yet, but canny enthusiasts have pieced together the spec by isolating Polaris 10's hardware ID from a Linus kernel submission, then comparing it to a Sisoft benchmark run. Curiously, this Polaris test run is carried out with an 800MHz clock-speed and 6gbps GDDR5 memory - a downgrade from the mooted PS4 spec. Some believe it may be the result of pre-production silicon, but it may also be a simulated run for a laptop variant of the processor where lower clocks are a prerequisite."

Also if Polaris 10 isn't basically PS4 GPU @14nm & 2X the CUs why is AMD making a DirectX11 GPU in 2016?

jtbLnTp.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199232654&postcount=1587

"

Luckydog

This is spot on. Hell, I think it would be more telling if MS or Nintendo happens to come out with clearly better hardware mid-gen and people DONT jump ship to it. Then all those "lol900p" were just Sony fanboy bullshit.

NHale

- Strict standards sets by Sony

Do you really believe this? Of course they will never release a game that doesn't have a basic mode for those 2nd tier PS4 in the market but if Bethesda makes Skyrim V and it has times that reaches 0fps on basic mode while neomode has 30fps with some drops, do you really believe Sony will enforce any certification standard and say to Bethesda "you don't release Skyrim on PS4/PS4.5 until you fix this" even it means Microsoft gains timed exclusivity?

No way, they will just launch it and try to forget the basic mode even exists.

Boke1879

It’s just GAF man. I’m not convinced. This news is essentially squashing a big problem people had with the rumor, my PS4 is going to get crap games or miss out on games.

- No Neo exclusives

- Strict standards sets by Sony

- Machine is not that much more powerful

They seem to be aware of pissing early adopters off and this is just a nice way to keep PS4 on the market longer, at a higher price, and embraced by people with newer TV’s.

Yea it's GAF. You're always going to have 2 extremes. That said a lot of the problems people had are addressed but people will find a new boogeyman simply because they don't like this concept. No one loses anything here

Top Bottom