• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb: PS4.5 / PS4K is codenamed NEO, more info

Any existing PS4 owners feel like this is a kick in the teeth?
This just has "we didn't futureproof the first PS4 but we've fixed that with this new PS4" written all over it.
nah not even a little. I plan to rock with base model for the rest of the year. Amazing games are coming out for ps4. Will get a second system eventually and now it'll be an even better console. I'm pretty excited by it tbh...

Lister

Banned
This is either going to turn out to be the brave way forward for console gaming, or the beginning of the end.

Either way it's super interesting, outdated and out of context Carmack quotes not withstanding :)

Aces&Eights

I've seen a lot of people mention 4K TVs... Are you all referring to being able to play UHD Blu-ray discs on the PS4K?

Because games on the PS4K will be getting upscaled to 4K, just as the PS4 games will. The PS4K doesn't really hold any 4K benefit outside of the UHD Blu-rays. The gaming benefits (higher frame rates, more effects, etc.) would be just as visible on a 1080p display.

Yes, I'm buying the tv for uhd movies and netflix streaming. The bump up in performance is just icing on the cake for me.

those that don't/won't like it may also give up console gaming.

no they won't, because they will be enjoying cod, fifa, gta6, etc, on there ps4, people in the real world will not quit console gaming because there are better looking games on ps4k, thats the stupidest thing i ever heard.

Please stop referring to consoles as "investments". You get a return on investments. Consoles depreciate the moment you purchase them.

The investment you're referring to is a cash investment with return on said inventment (more cash). In this case its a cash investment into an eco-system for an expected return in long term, future-proof entertainment. At least thats what I think people mean by using the term investment as it relates to consumer electronics and software

Do you really believe this? Of course they will never release a game that doesn't have a basic mode for those 2nd tier PS4 in the market but if Bethesda makes Skyrim V and it has times that reaches 0fps on basic mode while neomode has 30fps with some drops, do you really believe Sony will enforce any certification standard and say to Bethesda "you don't release Skyrim on PS4/PS4.5 until you fix this" even it means Microsoft gains timed exclusivity?

No way, they will just launch it and try to forget the basic mode even exists.
even so, is that the majority of games? That just sounds like some obscure scenario for a specific title you are talking about. Didn't Batman run like crap on PC, there's all the power in the world for that not to be an issue but devs are humans and sometimes make crappy stuff. I just don't see this adding to that. Some of my favorite games are Ico, Resogun, Street fighter, Gravity Rush, etc...graphically extensive games really not the bulk of PS4's library, and essentially that's the only potential problems with this model.

I feel like Sony is saying "we won't alienate our current console consumers" and people are yelling "BUT WHAT IF THEY ABANDON US."

I suppose it makes sense after the Vita, but I'm needlessly optimistic.

robo

Yes, I'm buying the tv for uhd movies and netflix streaming. The bump up in performance is just icing on the cake for me.

Same.

If the specs change was announced as media function only, there would be no outcry,

Just cos they mention a small increase in games all he'll breaks loose.

Games will be og ps4 first and foremost and I'm happy with this, anything extra on top is like a 99 ice cream with flake and sauce!

Ideally, Sony will have standards in place to make sure this doesn't happen. I know that's sort of laughable, but it's the best way to handle it.

As a comparison, the 3DS runs Hyrule Warriors Legends terribly, whereas the New 3DS runs it fine. (so everyone says anyway. Full disclosure: I haven't played the game on either system. But it's pretty much consensus).

I look at Sony's standards right now and there's not much to hope for, Just Cause 3 is a shit show and The Witcher 3 took so many patches to get right. Now they are making a games that will have two versions and we have to expect them to focus on the lesser version when it's made very clear they can't even get it right when they focus on one version?

I can't wait for people to start telling others in future threads to just upgrade when reports come in about another game that performs shit. We should be demanding better QA on games not this crap.

NHale

Please stop referring to consoles as "investments". You get a return on investments. Consoles depreciate the moment you purchase them.

I get what people want to say when they use that word but I agree it's not the right one.

When you buy a product, you expect something in return. If you buy a microwave, you want something that works like intended and lasts at least 5 years. That's your expectation and you know that everyday new technology is invented and new and better microwaves are released.

Until now when you bought a console day 1 as an early adopter, you expected to live some early pains for the first 18 months but get to play the new and shinier games on console market for 5-6 years as the premier development platform aka one of the best versions without having to use a PC.

Now that fundamentally changed with this decision and that's why many like I are upset with this. This wasn't I signed up for, of course Sony as a business can change their strategy and change the rules of the "game" anytime they want. But at the same time people need to understand why some are upset by this. You bought something expecting X because that's how the market worked until now and then you get knifed in the back in the middle of gen cycle. Sony has every right to do this of course but at the same time people have every right to not like it either.

But as always (and like MS learned the hard way recently) the market will speak and decide if it was a great decision or brand destroying decision.

I look at Sony's standards right now and there's not much to hope for, Just Cause 3 is a shit show and The Witcher 3 took so many patches to get right. Now they are making a games that will have two versions and we have to expect them to focus on the lesser version when it's made very clear they can't even get it right when they focus on one version?

I can't wait for people to start telling others in future threads to just upgrade when reports come in about another game that performs shit. We should be demanding better QA on games not this crap.

"If you really care about framerate that much, then you would have bought a PS4MasterConsole already. You are just trolling here so stop shitting up the thread about consoles that can't keep up"

no they won't, because they will be enjoying cod, fifa, gta6, etc, on there ps4, people in the real world will not quit console gaming because there are better looking games on ps4k,
so are you saying that i and the people i have heard who said this, are all living in a fake world?
thats the stupidest thing i ever heard.
i'm seeing this more and more often and i'll repeat myself as much as I need to: who are you to judge?

Balb

If it does indeed come out this year, it'll be interesting to see how Sony handles the two launches of $400 pieces of hardware during the same holiday season.

So it's capable of running this tech demo? What about the elemental demo running svogi?

OvDv5h.png

j1IMJ0.png

Can't wait to see the new god of war at e3 so we can truly see how good this system will bump the visuals.

This demo ran on a 680 iirc, if this info is correct and the new GPU is ~3.7TFLOPs it should be possible.

SVOGI in a super-complex game i have my doubts though.

This GPU update is nice, would be nice to see things like SVOGI with PS4k

Please stop mentioning SVOGI. SVOGI is a uselessly very demanding non effective dynamic GI tech which comes with it's own set of limitations (especially for large environments) and wasn't scrapped for no reason.

If you mean a good dynamic GI tech then yes the new PS4 can have a nice dynamic GI solution running. But first the solution must be well developed, approximated and optimized to look appealing and realistic. The current dynamic GI solutions and aren't very convincing regardless of the hardware.

rardk64

Hmm you're right, that is cause for some concern. I think they'll know that this will take very specific marketing to not upset the existing userbase, so hopefully they get things straight in that regard.

njean777

I get what people want to say when they use that word but I agree it's not the right one.

When a buy a product, you expect something in return. If you buy a microwave, you want something that works like intended and lasts at least 5 years. That's your expectation and you know that everyday new technology is invented and new and better microwaves are released.

Until now when you bought a console day 1 as an early adopter, you expected to live some early pains for the first 18 months but get to play the new and shinier games on console market for 5-6 years as the premier development platform aka one of the best versions without having to use a PC.

Now that fundamentally changed with this decision and that's why many like I are upset with this. This wasn't I signed up for, of course Sony as a business can change their strategy and change the rules of the "game" anytime they want. But at the same time people need to understand why some are upset by this. You bought something expecting X because that's how the market worked until now and then you get knifed in the back in the middle of gen cycle. Sony has every right to do this of course but at the same time people have every right to not like it either.

But as always (and like MS learned the hard way recently) the market will speak and decide if it was a great decision or brand destroying decision.

"If you really care about framerate that much, then you would have bought a PS4MasterConsole already. You are just trolling here so stop shitting up the thread about consoles that can't keep up"

Your original ps4 will still work, just like my Xbox one will. The product you bought still works. I see it just like PC to a certain extent. Every year new video cards come out that are (usually) better and that doesn't mean that the one you bought last year is completely useless. Same concept with this move, let the enthusiasts buy the updated model and make the original cheaper.

Same.

If the specs change was announced as media function only, there would be no outcry,

Just cos they mention a small increase in games all he'll breaks loose.

Games will be og ps4 first and foremost and I'm happy with this, anything extra on top is like a 99 ice cream with flake and sauce!

Maybe for the 1st year of release, but devs will most likely be maxing out hardware first and downgrading to PS4 second soon after. As long as they can keep the Frame rate stable that's fine.

Interfectum

When you buy a product, you expect something in return. If you buy a microwave, you want something that works like intended and lasts at least 5 years. That's your expectation and you know that everyday new technology is invented and new and better microwaves are released.

Your PS4 will still work. Try to calm yourself.

orioto

Good Art™
And by the way people thinking it's ok and people won't think they're vanilla ps4 is obsolete.

Wait till you see all game reveal acting like PS4 Neo are the base specs, showing footage at E3 with Neo framerate and IQ ;) I give them one year for that.

_Mah god look a that incredible Assassin's Creed with incredible graphics at 1080p/30fps!! It looks so good!
_(a shy journalist in a corner of the room) Aaaand what about it on PS4 vanilla ??
_Oh well, you'll just have to see when it's released, don't worry.. It'll be playable.

Your original ps4 will still work, just like my Xbox one will. The product you bought still works. I see it just like PC to a certain extent. Every year new video cards come out that are (usually) better and that doesn't mean that the one you bought last year is completely useless. Same concept with this move, let the enthusiasts buy the updated model and make the original cheaper.

This is also part of the reason console gamers don't play on PC... Which is an issue.

I am slow.

PS4.5 Codename: Neo
PS VR Codename: Morpheus

Yup, I'm slow for only just realising this. Matrix jokes aside, the code names do suggest that Neo has been made with PS VR in mind, so it'll be interesting to see how the first wave of PS VR games look on the newer system.

And if the visuals are noticeably better (framerate will be fixed) then it'll be easier for Sony to use the "Neo" versions of games in all its marketing for PS VR.

cackhyena

And by the way people thinking it's ok and people won't think they're vanilla ps4 is obsolete.

Wait till you see all game reveal acting like PS4 Neo are the base specs, showing footage at E3 with Neo framerate and IQ ;)

I still think that's more for us. I know plenty of people who own a PS4, where consistently when I mention E3 every year, they go..."what's that again?".

so are you saying that i and the people i have heard who said this, are all living in a fake world?i'm seeing this more and more often and i'll repeat myself as much as I need to: who are you to judge?

did you know bayonetta 2 won goty here? do you know how much copy's bayonetta 2 sold? not enough to even break even. main point, common sense will tell that these extreme opinions will not effect the market.

I am slow.

Yup, I'm slow for only just realising this. Matrix jokes aside, the code names do suggest that Neo has been made with PS VR in mind, so it'll be interesting to see how the first wave of PS VR games look on the newer system.

Literally no one thought of Morpheus as the Matrix character, everyone was thinking about the Greek God of Dreams back then.

legacyzero

Banned
I am slow.

And if the visuals are noticeably better (framerate will be fixed) then it'll be easier for Sony to use the "Neo" versions of games in all its marketing for PS VR.

"...Show me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12u1nA7bXzc

orioto

Good Art™
I still think that's more for us. I know plenty of people who own a PS4, where consistently when I mention E3 every year, they go..."what's that again?".

Well those guys will be buying games based on screens that are not representative of what they'll have on their tv soon.

AaronMT86

Not skimming 60+ pages for this but is it possible that players who use Neo boosted games in multiplayer modes (e.g, shooters) will have an upper hand? How will this play out?

hemo memo

Gold Member

Wait till you see all game reveal acting like PS4 Neo are the base specs, showing footage at E3 with Neo framerate and IQ ;) I give them one year for that.

_Mah god look a that incredible Assassin's Creed with incredible graphics at 1080p/30fps!! It looks so good!
_(a shy journalist in a corner of the room) Aaaand what about it on PS4 vanilla ??
_Oh well, you'll just have to see when it's released, don't worry.. It'll be playable.

The worst part? They'll not tell you and you'd believe that your vanilla PS4 could run it only to be dissapointed after by a terrible performance. Your average joe wouldn't care but for you you either buy the new cosnole or live with it.

I don't like to complain a lot or be negative :/

Jebusman

Banned
Not skimming 60+ pages for this but is it possible that players who use Neo boosted games in multiplayer modes (e.g, shooters) will have an upper hand? How will this play out?

Arguably as it has played out on the PC for decades: You deal with it.

Unless developers can promise parity (same res, same framerate), the better machine will always have the upper hand.

oakenhild

I'm on the other side of the fence on this issue, but this is a good argument. I completely understand why many people that own a PS4 are upset.

I think from a business perspective it still makes sense to release the Neo. At this point I wouldn't consider buying a PS4, but a Neo might get me in. I did buy the New 3DS after all.

Hexa

Well those guys will be buying games based on screens that are not representative of what they'll have on their tv soon.

I mean, they already have. Multiplats always show max settings on PC. Even exclusives often get super sampled bullshots.

Interfectum

Seems like a lot of fearmongering to me. For the foreseeable future most good devs will target Xbox One and PS4 spec as that is their target audience. The ones that jump the gun and gimp the base PS4 version, just avoid their games.

creatchee

The concern is this thread is real. Several points to consider:

1. This generation isn't like the past - consoles are using an understood and proven architecture (x86) for game design and execution. What this means is that we're not going to see the "developers getting more power out of the console as they learn tricks" situation that was seen in previous generations. In fact, devs are already hitting the wall in terms of power utilization and have likely been hitting that wall for some time. Console games are more bound by the hardware they're running on than they've ever been - and the hardware just isn't that great.

2. Stemming from point 1, if PS4 games are to start running at some lowered performance metric - whether it be resolution, framerate, or graphics settings - they would be doing so regardless of the existence of PS4 Neo. No amount of "squeezing" or "tricks" is going to change the fact that the CPU and GPU are out of date at this point. So if we start seeing Vanilla PS4 games running sub-1080P, blaming the PS4 Neo is an exercise in futility because they would have been that way whether or not Neo was an option.

3. Choice is never a bad thing. Sony is putting safeguards in place so that the ONLY difference between Vanilla and Neo is performance. You can choose to upgrade and play a game at a higher graphical performance level on Neo or you can stick with Vanilla and play the SAME GAME at a relatively lower level of graphical quality. Any FUD about exclusive content or games not running on Vanilla should be disregarded and reprimanded appropriately.

4. It seems that a lot of people are in the "I bought the most powerful console in the world and soon it won't be the most powerful console in the world anymore" camp. Too bad. Advancements happen, whether you want them or not. There were no guarantees as to the lifetime of the "most powerful" status. Sony is doing this because there is reason to do this, whether it is from a development, financial, or other standpoint. Regardless, you can STILL play every game on PS4 that is coming put on the PS4 platform - you just can't say that you're playing the best console version of a particular game unless you're doing so on a Neo (or the new Xbox, if that ends up having equal or greater power). And if that's a problem for you, well boo hoo hoo. Gaming shouldn't be a whatever measuring contest, and if having a perceived better graphical experience than somebody else drives you, you're missing the point of gaming in the first place. Besides - PC will always be better than you on non-exclusives anyway, so don't feel so bad ;)

Top Bottom