• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 4 art leaks (Norse setting, Kratos w/ beard) [Up2: Polygon says real]

Which part of God of War 4 are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Kratos make me thinks it's just really early concept art, so they don't have the really amazing artist work on these, just people who give them a basic idea of what they are going for. We'll probably see some of the really beautiful concept art before release.

He worked there at the end of 2015. Surely they'd have the direction set in stone by now? Surely!?

sith23

Neo Member
Just so we're clear, the guy who did these is like 18 years old, and started as an intern last May. This is the minor stuff.

Sorry to ask but, any source on that? I know it may not seem super bombastic, but looks pretty damn good.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
*sigh*

They're just meant to be teases and to see people (including myself) get excited, and never to go too too far, not to generate a witch hunt and infiltrate a password-protected section of an artist's site for this stuff.

Makes me feel reserved in mentioning anything else in the future.
Honestly, leaks like this are shitty and you really ruin what a dev team has been working for years on just for the sake of Internet cred.

Hope it was worth it man. Ugh.

Edit: wait, I thought you leaked the concept art and stuff. If it wa just Twitter teases then that's fine I guess.

I'm genuinely curious what they'll do with Kratos' character arc going forward, outside the luscious beard. He had such a good vengeful set-up from end of GoW/GoW2!

2010-03-22.jpg

Kelly Turnbull's Kratos is the bessssst.

Needs more beard, i want his signature move to be ripping torsos apart with his beard! You level up your beard until it can matches Odin's and then you rampage through Valhalla with glorious beard combos!!! Do it Santa Monica, just do it!!!

Drayco21

Yeah, it looks like Nerdleaks couldn't take the load, not that Sony is taking it down or anything to me.

Excited! This is basically exactly what I wanted- same old Kratos, but new gear and new mythology. Norse is fun. Looking forward to seeing how he's developed as a character, and what rad bosses will be in this one.

I'm genuinely curious what they'll do with Kratos' character arc going forward, outside the luscious beard. He had such a good vengeful set-up from end of GoW/GoW2!

By the end of God of War 3, Kratos seems to be against the concept of humanity living beneath the rule of any Gods; or at least that was my read of it from years ago, it's been a while since I've gone back to 3 specifically. I'd like to see him traveling the world from game to game, putting down pantheons and extending his crusade across the globe.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Anyone remember this?

_1418063789.jpg

They enacted the damage control and distanced themselves from ever saying this. I think it's time they tell us that YESSSSSS, WE ARE WORKING ON GOD OF WAR 4....and that we should expect a reveal soon. Gaming industry can be really weird.

DigSCCP

Honestly I can understand why some people dont want another Kratos game.
What I cant get it is why it should be GoW then?
GoW IV?
GoW is all about Kratos.
Ok you dont want another Kratos game, so you dont wanna a GoW game.
I would be completely ok if SM goes to another IP, even tho with some of the GoW mecanics, if they dont want to continue with Kratos.
But if its GoW I want Kratos!

ps. will buy it anyway lol

I don't mind the character, but honestly is there anything left for him to do? What reason does he have to get into a huge conflict with another pantheon? Of course the writers can cook something up, but it won't be as strong as his original story where he had a long-running history with the series' antagonists.
It's kind of a fun and schlocky concept that he's just gonna murder every god ever now, as some even larger than life than before figure.

*sigh*

They're just meant to be teases and to see people (including myself) get excited, and never to go too too far, not to generate a witch hunt and infiltrate a password-protected section of an artist's site for this stuff.

Makes me feel reserved in mentioning anything else in the future.

That's really messed up on their part, whoever decided to do this. I understand you having reservations in the future shinobi but I hope you don't feel like this is your fault. They did the shitty stuff, not you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hope this has open world structure, towers, quest givers, various MMO style level up grinds, wide open fields where you can kill the same monster over and over, and OMG PLEASE PLEASE HAVE COSMETIC DLC MICROTRANSACTIONS

-Horizon-

I hope this has open world structure, towers, quest givers, various MMO style level up grinds, wide open fields where you can kill the same monster over and over, and OMG PLEASE PLEASE HAVE COSMETIC DLC MICROTRANSACTIONS

Beard style DLC pack

Comparing a story driven game to Mario/Pokemon/Racing games...

103NotReaching_837177062.jpg

Okay.

But the question here is why do fans of something want more of it? I mean, That's surely a self fufilling question. Some of us happen to like Kratos. He isn't as shallow as some make out but I'm not going to start writing essays on him. The gameplay holds up and the set pieces are awesome. The question is the same for anything with a fan base. People just love to shit on things they don't like and it's toxic to discussions.

Plenty of games do character development on the same scale as God of War and plenty do it better but if people don't like it they are not forced to play it.

Asking for a different protaganist is dumb. He is a playstation mascot at this point.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Wow, you just described the perfect God of War game.

Regginator

kratos in a nordic setting, wtf, isn't kratos supposed to be based on the real-life greek mythology? what the fuck is his business in the nordic mythology?

solely because of this i believe - or should i say hope - this is fake. surely santa monica wouldn't make such a stupid decision?

Kratos murdering the crap out of Thor and taking his hammer is going to be soooooo good.
Looks like we're getting 1-handed weapons this time around. I wonder if the combat will be different?

kratos in a nordic setting, wtf, isn't kratos supposed to be based on the real-life greek mythology? what the fuck is his business in the nordic mythology?

solely because of this i believe - or should i say hope - this is fake. surely santa monica wouldn't make such a stupid decision?
He's always been an original character, and I think we can all guess what his business in GoW4 is.

Stike

Donald Trump's hair as Kratos-DLC? ^^

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's kind of a fun and schlocky concept that he's just gonna murder every god ever now, as some even larger than life than before figure.

People like to say Kratos is just generically raging for no reason, but that's dumb and false and all his actions were clearly motivated up until this point. What are they going to dangle in front of him to make him want to kill a bunch of gods he's never heard of? What does Kratos want now that the Greek gods are dead? "hey kill all these dudes and we'll bring your family back with magic!"

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Pardon?

vpance

Scrambled to make something safe after Stig's disaster project.

Don't forget branching dialogue, skill trees and shared world co-op. I don't want any kiddie shit in my God of War.

d00d3n

What kind of monster would deny GOW fans these fine evolutionary steps of the AAA business model?

People like to say Kratos is just generically raging for no reason, but that's dumb and false and all his actions were clearly motivated up until this point. What are they going to dangle in front of him to make him want to kill a bunch of gods he's never heard of? What does Kratos want now that the Greek gods are dead? "hey kill all these dudes and we'll bring your family back with magic!"

Plenty of reasons but Loki promising him his family and a perfect life would do it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Every single link provided early on in the thread has been killed

Hide yo kids, hide yo wife

TEH-CJ

Banned

New gods might have his family captive.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Plenty of reasons but Loki promising him his family and a perfect life would do it.

Why would Kratos believe that? Could he believe in a "perfect" life?

New gods might have his family captive.

Because they are ghost kidnappers?

These are not a promising basis for a story, guys.

Bro. You forgot crafting.

Floody

He worked there at the end of 2015. Surely they'd have the direction set in stone by now? Surely!?

When did he join? This could just be from when he started, not necessarily from when he left. But, yeah, if these are from 2015, it's probably not that early, the Kratos just looks rough though.

They were motivated, but they were barely motivated. Like when he kills Hephaestus? Literally all they need is

"Kratos, help us avoid Ragnarok"
"Don't tell me what to do!!!!"

Also j agree that anything with Loki would work. Maybe Loki pretends to be his wife.

Hexa

Why would Kratos believe that? Could he believe in a "perfect" life?

Loki could twist some crazy tale about Ragnarok being about rebirth without telling him it also involves the end of the world or something like that. I don't know. It doesn't have to be that major. Kratos is a moron.

Drayco21

They were motivated, but they were barely motivated. Like when he kills Hephaestus? Literally all they need is

"Kratos, help us avoid Ragnarok"
"Don't tell me what to do!!!!"

Hephaestus sent Kratos on a suicide mission, and when that didn't work, he tried to stab him in the back and kill him, hoping to protect his daughter from being sacrificed. Seems fairly motivated to me.

Top Bottom