• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War PS4 playable from start to finish

YaBish

Syndicate was Sony, next is MS again.
Empire confirmed to be same quality as Unity. /s

Sony always gets the better playing AC's marketing deals for whatever reason.

On topic, real interested to see how the new God of War reconciles the series' past with its new direction, gameplay-wise. Hope it comes out 2017!

If it's an all-out God of War game it'll release in 2018. They'll surely need at least that time to make the level that dwarfs the Cronos fight.

If it's all The God of War 1886 in the vein of the E3 demo then maybe it'll be a 2017 release.

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...e-me-care-about-the-series-for-the-first-time

jayu26

Did they explicitly say this wasn't coming in 2017 during the reveal or something?
They didn't say anything. Some people assumed the worst (can't really blame them). And now it's out of alpha (presumably).
I feel like this has to be posted everytime someone thinks that demo at e3 will be a full representation of the game.
Nah, not worth it. Next demo is going to be probably all about combos and hopefully some upgrade tree and finish with start to a boss fight. I don't think many know that troll wasn't a boss, but just another low level grunt.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Great news. The gameplay in the demo didnt look too hot but i am excited to try out the new combat. i love when the developers take some chances and revamp the combat. hopefully it pays off for them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nice to hear. For linear titles this milestone is often about a year before launch so it could potentially be releasing in 2017.

They didn't say anything. Some people assumed the worst (can't really blame them). And now it's out of alpha (presumably).

Nah, not worth it. Next demo is going to be probably all about combos and hopefully some upgrade tree and finish with start to a boss fight. I don't think many know that troll wasn't a boss, but just another low level grunt.
Yeah it'll be exciting to think how big the bosses are gonna be if the troll is only a regular enemy

Elandyll

Banned
I could see a packed Fall 2017 to ramp up excitement around the PS4, as 2016 was all about Hardware....

Imagine:

Early September: Destiny 2
Late September: God of War
Early October: Gran Turismo Sports
Late October: Battlefront 2
Early November: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 5
Mid November: Red Dead Redemption 2

Imo

Summer 2017: Dreams (Beta in spring),

Q1/ Spring 2018: Detroit, Sucker Punch new IP (announced E3 2017)
Summer 2018: Spider-Man, Wild

Fall 2018: FF7R, Days Gone, Bloodborne 2

Spring 2019: TLOU 2

Fall 2019: PS5 releases

viHuGi

Banned
That's pretty exciting! I hope it doesn't turn out to be the Uncharted 4 of the series. I can't imagine Barlog allowing that to happen though.

What being a Amazing game, going to sell 10m and best rated game of the year on Metacritic with several goty awards?? That Uncharted 4?

Adam M

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure of that. :)

I counted 11 unreleased announced PS4 titles from Sony. I forgot to mention that I just counted the AAA big, I don't expect more in 3 years (unless if the PS5 will come in 2021). But time will tell, maybe one more Sucker Punch title will come to the PS4.

I think GoW 4 will be 2017 because it's not open world while Day's Gone and Spider-Man are open world but one of the 2 still possibly for 2017. Damn it will be an another great year for gamers :D

I feel like this has to be posted everytime someone thinks that demo at e3 will be a full representation of the game.

Yeah, I noticed that. I still think they made the right choice with the demo. GoW fans, even if the demo didn't click with them, will still keep an eye on the game. But this initial reveal was SSM's chance to try to reel in people that may have moved away from the series or were never interested in it. So, they had basically one chance to nail that. And i'd say they did it. Now they can do whatever as far as future showings go.

Tbh I wasn't feeling it during the first showing. It's only after the seeing the little details and easter eggs scattered around the trailer and people theorizing who the boy is made me very interested the game. Also it takes a lot of guts to do a major shakeup to the gameplay after six games so I hope they'll be able to pull this off

Strider

I think it'll be spring 2018 simply because they'll wanna fill that gap instead of unload it on the usually over crowded holiday season... plus it'll give them more time to polish it up which is fine by me.

There's really just not much reason for Sony to put out big exclusives during the fall between the console discounts and huge multiplat releases... they will sell a lot of PS4s in that time period whether they have a big exclusive launching or not...

All I'm saying is, last time a game was announced that was playable from start to finish, the game suffered numerous delays and still was released incomplete.

Don't get your hopes up for 2017

Yeah but it's a completely different game. Open world RPG with hundreds of hours of content while God of War is still a linear experience. Is not that it's easier to make but I asume it could be launch by the end of 2017.

As long as it's out in March 2018, I'm ok. ^^

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'd think this would be their big 2017 game and TLOU2 their big 2018 game, no?

If it's an all-out God of War game it'll release in 2018. They'll surely need at least that time to make the level that dwarfs the Cronos fight.

If it's all The God of War 1886 in the same vein as the E3 demo then maybe it'll be a 2017 release.

1886? Maybe uncharted...

Dinjooh

All I'm saying is, last time a game was announced that was playable from start to finish, the game suffered numerous delays and still was released incomplete.

The big difference here is the open world approach versus the..

Yeah but it's a completely different game. Open world RPG with hundreds of hours of content while God of War is still a linear experience. Is not that it's easier to make but I asume it could be launch by the end of 2017.

As long as it's out in March 2018, I'm ok. ^^

Oh.. MegaSackman already said it.

Easier would be the wrong word, but you definitely have different situations when just the main quest is complete-able in an open world game vs a linear one.

Generally, the more systems you have that is able to talk to eachother the more bugs and QA time you'll need. With linear games most of this should be tested quite a lot already if you can actually play through the game.

jayu26

One minor delay. Still launched within the year and people like it well enough. Nevermind the fact that they are completely different teams and FF had two consoles to deal with. Look, I don't think they will release God is War in 2017 either, but using Final Fantasy XV as an example to prove that doesn't really work for me either.
I'd think this would be their big 2017 game and TLOU2 their big 2018 game, no?
Poor Horizon. That game needs more love dammit.

Top Bottom