• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Quantum Break is not coming to Steam

I figured they'd do this.

I think it's a long-term bad decision but they want to push W10 and Windows Store adoption above all other priorities, so something has to be sacrificed at that altar.

Nokterian

MS has had a digital storefront on PC for about a decade. They've had all the time in the world.

Expect it was and it is still shit..it's going back to GFWL 1.0 but now with a new coat of paint disguised as GFWL 2.0.

And people really comparing this to Origin? What are you guys for real?

Mivey

Not offering on the largest PC digital platform at least proves that the point of porting their games is not to actually make money, but rather building up their ecosystem. Hope it works out for them.

Wait, just so I get this straight: you think a game releasing on the Windows 10 store would not sell more units if it were to release on the Windows 10 store as well as Steam?

I should have clarified in my post, what I meant was that I don't think the game will sell badly. I think enough people will suck it up and still buy it on the Windows Store for it to be a success.

Obviously it would sell even better if it was on Steam too. No brainer. But people acting like this is an automatic dud and dead-on-arrival are ignoring how much of a success Windows 10 has been for MS.

Qassim

I'm not at all against buying games from other store fronts if a company wishes to build one out, Valve did much the same thing, but the RoTR issues have been worrying. They really need to lift some of the restrictions of Windows Store apps if they want their games to be successful on there.

Kathian

Banned
Fee years ago I'd care but anyone not shopping around other stores from Steam just doesn't care for their money these days.

Kind of weird to see people think this is shitty of Microsoft when EA and Valve keep their games exclusives to their own clients.

It isn't. EA and Valve put a modicum of effort into Origin and Steam.

Microsoft's Windows Store is not only awful (worse than Uplay), but they were behind creating GFWL. There's also that 10 years of Microsoft promising things to PC gamers post somewhere in this forum.

It's hard to be particularly confident when they make moves like this.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It requires DX12 which is Windows 10 exclusive.

Trying to force gamers onto W10 like they did with Halo2 and Vista.

So kind of like forcing gamers to buy an Xbox One to play Halo 5, or Sony forcing gamers to buy a PS4 to play Uncharted 4?

Those monsters.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
They really do care about PC gaming.

Pretty much this. They will forgo selling as many copies as possible to as many people as possible to push their own store.

crazy.gif

FLD

Lol, expected but still a bummer. I almost got excited there for a second. Hopefully when it bombs horribly they'll come around and release it on other storefronts like S-E did with FFVII. Won't be buying it until then. At least, not at full price...

People will complain about this (including me) but I doubt it will affect its sales. Windows 10 adoption numbers have been very high, and unlike Origin, the Windows Store is installed already by default.

The simple fact of limited exposure probably limits sales a lot.

Steam is used by a whole lot more people than the Windows Store. How many people would look at the game when it appears on the frontpage on Steam compared to that Store? Or would a Windows Store sale have as much of an effect as a Steam sale?

I highly doubt so.

Why would they release it on Steam? Do you expect Sony to release their games on Xbox?

This argument makes no sense. They have released plenty of games on Steam. Also they are still releasing it on Windows PCs.

Either come with a good argument or a good comparison.

Crono27

Not surprised at all. However I'll just pick it up when ever it becomes dirt cheap, like I do with games on origin.

Doffen

I figured they'd do this.

I think it's a long-term bad decision but they want to push W10 and Windows Store adoption above all other priorities, so something has to be sacrificed at that altar.
Individual games are short-term ventures compared to services like Steam and Windows Store.

Haunted

I should have clarified in my post, what I meant was that I don't think the game will sell badly. I think enough people will suck it up and still buy it on the Windows Store for it to be a success.

Obviously it would sell even better if it was on Steam too. No brainer. But people acting like this is an automatic dud and dead-on-arrival are ignoring how much of a success Windows 10 has been for MS.
Fair enough. Although I personally think Windows 10 being a success does not guarantee a game on the Windows 10 store to be a success, so I think they're (calculatedly) leaving money on the table to prop up their exclusive offerings.

Same as Alberto, I don't think this'll work out for them long-term.

Waaghals

This is not surprising, nor is it evil or anything of the sort.
It makes sense that they would want their own games to be exclusive to their own store.

I would still be cautious of buying anything on the windows store after the way they handled GFWL and the various limitations that come with the Store.

Windows 10 being a success doesn't mean the store is a success, and with how developers have been treating the W10 Store and the grumbling from them I don't think they're very impressed with it so far.

MUnited83

For you.
Does no one remember the early days of steam? you have to give win10 store some time.
Oh yes, giving time to s to fix up their shit seems reasona- oh wait someone's yelling me they already a little thing called GFWL for more than a decade that fucked up beyond belief. There's no reason to believe they will actually put any effort now.

cyba89

With their whole history with GFWL I will wait til it hits sub-$5 then.
Or wait til it comes to either Origin, Uplay, or Steam. Just anything that is not the Win10-store.

Tonza

Valve really is in an unbelievable position where people want their services to be monopolies. Even after their debacle during the christmas sales.

But yeah, no surprise that Microsoft wants to promote their own service.

Uzzy

So how long until Microsoft drop support for GFWL 2.0, and leave customers without the ability to download their purchased titles?

WaterAstro

This is exactly what Microsoft should be doing to compete with Steam.

Of course it sucks for us if it's exclusive to Windows Store, but giving Steam competition is good for Microsoft.
If there's more PC exclusives that don't go on Steam, Valve might be forced to actually make games lol.

Trace

Banned
Windows 10 is fine, I switched to it in the other day from 7 and I haven't had any issues with it, no reason not to switch when we finally have some DX12 stuff coming out soon.

I don't like W10 not allowing exe modification and I do hope they change that policy however.

malfcn

Why does everything on pc have to be tinkered with. Why not just enjoy the game. Putting the poo poo on a game because it's not open to modding sounds silly.

Fardeen

i would assume its not on steam because its a windows 10 /directx12 game only, people might get pissed buying the game on steam not knowing it does not run on win 7/8. i do hope its gonna be on steam

Top Bottom