• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Quantum Break is not coming to Steam

By the way, it's already been announced that Fable Legends also will be exclusive to Windows Store.

We can expect everything that MS publishes will be Win 10 store exclusive only. Their focus is to get people interested in their store and merge both Xbox and PC into one ecosystem with their storefront by offering cross buy and play features as their future which i really like it. So gamers who want plug and play setup can buy their consoles and gamers who want PC like experience along with Xbox live services can have it too.

Ganado

Why would they release it on Steam? Do you expect Sony to release their games on Xbox?
That's not the same thing man. It's a different store on the same platform. After GfWL, I'm not trusting Microsoft with another Store on PC. They should've just done what Ubi did, integrate uPlay with Steam.

SZips

I'm going to pass on this one then, unless they change how games are handled when purchased through their store.

Seeing what limitations there were with Rise of the Tomb Raider, I really don't want to deal with that. I dislike how they bloated up the size of the game by including every language in one download. I also don't like what I've been hearing about just getting OBS to capture RotTR. You can't use ShadowPlay either. I like being able to have the option to use overlays if I need to, but apparently that's very difficult (impossible?) to set up with the Store version of RotTR. They tend to greatly help when I'm finding out graphical settings to select to maintain a comfortable framerate.

epmode

I would still be cautious of buying anything on the windows store after the way they handled GFWL and the various limitations that come with the Store.

Yeah, that's the thing. Microsoft in particular should stay far away from digital storefronts on PC.

Also, I'm still mad at them for shutting down Xbox Live 1.0 to save on legacy server costs.

Nzyme32

Just take a look at Rise o the Tomb Raider W10 Store edition limitations.

What are they?

You can't modify the game at all—you can't inject better antialiasing or use ReShade, and you can't add the game as a profile to RadeonPro or nVidia control panel (although for the latter case, the game does respect nVidia Control Panel's global profile).

SHOCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant inject/modify the game, patch waiting is longer etc

Pretty much. No overlays, no ability to use recording software / shadowplay etc, just the ability to use what MS have setup. This all makes sense in the context of Universal Apps and mobile platforms, but for PC gaming in particular, this is just disappointing. I don't think there should be any expectation for MS to put their games on Steam when they are obviously trying to build up there own ecosystem of "Xbox" on Windows, but the limited nature of the games is just not a good compliment to PC gaming's openness to all those things

TheMoon

First party game is on first party platform. Shocking news.

Really bizarre that some people are surprised by this. I mean, the concept of first party software should be obvious by now. That Win10 store is their PC platform. That's all there is to it. The rest is logic.

I don't really like it either but come on, you all knew this was going to happen.

madjoki

I guess I'll be waiting on this.

Can you shortcut it to steam though so you can use steams features?

Nope. This means also that steam controller can't be used. (In addition to other limitations).

So you would buy QB if it were on steam?

This logic blows my mind

Not really. There's legit concerns over Microsoft's support for platform and how long until they abandon it and games become unavailable. (Like with GFWL).

At least Ubisoft & EA's Origin are proven and very likely to have continued support from them.

Why would they release it on Steam? Do you expect Sony to release their games on Xbox?

Because Microsoft has done so in the past?

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Microsoft Studios&sort_by=Released_DESC

Also Xbox & PS4 games are sold elsewhere, and not in single shop only, so it's not really comparable. Xbox as platform isn't available on PS4, but Windows Store & Steam are both on same platform (Win10).

That said, I'll probably get it from some sale later when it's very cheap (unless I forget about it altogether, there's just too many good games coming on PC).

gdt

I'm probably out unless the buzz is insane. I don't want to deal with the windows store. That shit will disappear in a few years and we all know it.

It's ok for ms to be looking to boost their own storefront, I just don't have to use it.

deadman69

Why does everything on pc have to be tinkered with. Why not just enjoy the game. Putting the poo poo on a game because it's not open to modding sounds silly.

thats one of the main reasons why i play games on pc, because i can tinker. i'd be playing on a console if i didn't care about that shit.

As long as Windows 10 refuses to accept that I'm logged into Xbox with my original 360 account and not with the generic random account that was generated automatically for me with the W10 installation, Microsoft won't get any money from me. It's such a simple thing: I can log into the Xbox app with my real account, but any Windows 10 app that uses Xbox doesn't acknowledge my login in the slightest.

Until they fix this (they won't), Xbox for Windows is dead to me.

Can't say I blame them. Valve's cut of Steam sales is nothing to shake a stick at. For a company of Microsoft's clout and leverage, distributing the game exclusively through their own storefronts will probably be a net positive. Works for EA with Origin.

I'm going to pass on this one then, unless they change how games are handled when purchased through their store.

Seeing what limitations there were with Rise of the Tomb Raider, I really don't want to deal with that. I dislike how they bloated up the size of the game by including every language in one download. I also don't like what I've been hearing about just getting OBS to capture RotTR. You can't use ShadowPlay either. I like being able to have the option to use overlays if I need to, but apparently that's very difficult (impossible?) to set up with the Store version of RotTR. They tend to greatly help when I'm finding out graphical settings to select to maintain a comfortable framerate.

Wait for the Feb 25th event where they will reveal more about their PC related news and features.

Fractal

Banned
Well, I'm not too surprised, but I do find it somewhat annoying. It's not a deal breaker, but can't say I'm thrilled to add another client on top of Steam, Uplay and Origin... especially one coming from MS.

Windows 10 is fine, I switched to it in the other day from 7 and I haven't had any issues with it, no reason not to switch when we finally have some DX12 stuff coming out soon.

I don't like W10 not allowing exe modification and I do hope they change that policy however.

This is the only real objective criticism against both, the WIN10 store and Denuvo. Really wish people would give it time as it evolves. Steam pretty much got the same treatment for it's D/L speeds back in '04.

JaggedSac

As long as Windows 10 refuses to accept that I'm logged into Xbox with my original 360 account and not with the generic random account that was generated automatically for me with the W10 installation, Microsoft won't get any money from me. It's such a simple thing: I can log into the Xbox app with my real account, but any Windows 10 app that uses Xbox doesn't acknowledge my login in the slightest.

Why don't you log into Windows with your 360 account?

Oreoleo

It's akin to EA selling their games on Origin though
That is a fairer comparison, however

Why isn't it? It's MS's game and they're choosing to not put it on a competitor's platform.

Even Origin doesn't put half the limitations on it's games that MS does on Windows store apps. PC's aren't a closed ecosystem like Microsoft seems to want them to be. It's a lesson they've been taught in the past but they seem incapable of learning from it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't see why this is an issue. Just people are never happy.

Because Microsoft has done so in the past?

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Microsoft Studios&sort_by=Released_DESC

Also Xbox & PS4 games are sold elsewhere, and not in single shop only, so it's not really comparable. Xbox as platform isn't available on PS4, but Windows Store & Steam are both on same platform (Win10).

That said, I'll probably get it from some sale later when it's very cheap (unless I forget about it altogether, there's just too many good games coming on PC).

It's pretty amazing to see people act like MS would never support Steam, as if it's another console or something - when they have an established history of using the platform for distribution. Lmao

Because the Windows store sucks. For example, Tomb Raider on the Windows store doesn't have exclusive full screen, a launcher, etc. It also requires the buggier latest Xbox One controller drivers, and it's sandboxed so injecting SLI profiles in games that don't support it, like Tomb Raider, is broken.

Also, they hold the impulse triggers hostage to Windows Store games, which is fucking lame.

Nabs

I guess I won't bother.

This is the only real objective criticism against both, the WIN10 store and Denuvo. Really wish people would give it time as it evolves. Steam pretty much got the same treatment for it's D/L speeds back in '04.

It's not 2004. This also isn't Microsoft's first go at this.

Qassim

You don't see why having a store which imposes limitations on games which don't exist on any other platform and lacks several basic features is a problem? (Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc)

How dare them not want to give up a significant percentage of their sales revenue for no reason.

How dare people wish for games not to be crippled by a store that is not fit for purpose.

finley83

Banned
Well I'm out, MS Store won't even let me download anything. I've spoken to about 5 MS Support Techs and none of them know what's wrong, and the end solution ended up being "maybe reinstall Windows?"

Also I don't trust MS not to shut off the service in 5 years like they have with GFWL, but that's a different discussion.

Win10 store is a system as closed as Apple's. It's bad, really bad.

Especially since it contradicts what I can normally do on my Windows pc with any other program.

I don't care for different platforms, I care about standards.

patapuf

I just want to be able to get it without having to run it as an app. Thats the worst

If ms wants to keep the Win10 store limitations, their PC gaming efforts will fail yet again.

Why don't you log into Windows with your 360 account?

Because it's attached to an email that no longer exists. Besides, why should I be forced to use a specific Windows account to access the Xbox service? They're essentially telling me to reinstall all my shit for no good reason whatsoever.

Another issue for PC users is how we're going to play the game in 10+ years when Microsoft close the W10 store. Steamworks to the rescue.

I can wait a long time for this game. Definitely want to play it, but I've got enough on my gaming platter as it is.

Head.spawn

Where the hell is this GFWL narrative coming from? It's the same fucking store that's been there since Windows 8. Still shares functionality between the apps it shares with Xbox and such.

The same Family Guy and Red vs Blue episodes I bought on Xbox 360, I'm pretty sure it was with the first dashboard, is still there for me to download.

Nah, doom n gloom.

gamz

I don't get this? Why don't you log in using your xbox account?

fantomena

I expected it, but it's goddamn shitty noneless.

The Windows 10 apps has so goddamn many limitations it's sad.

And because of GFWL there's no way in hell I trust MS.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Where the hell is this GFWL narrative coming from? It's the same fucking store that's been there since Windows 8. Still shares functionality between the apps it shares with Xbox and such.

The same Family Guy and Red vs Blue episodes I bought on Xbox 360, I'm pretty sure it was with the first dashboard, is still there for me to download.

Nah, doom n gloom.
Some people think that if they say it enough times it will come true.

Sydle

Why not just login to Windows with your 360 account? It's a Microsoft account all the same.

Because it's attached to an email that no longer exists. Besides, why should I be forced to use a specific Windows account to access the Xbox service? They're essentially telling me to reinstall all my shit for no good reason whatsoever.

How are you accessing Xbox Live with a Microsoft account that no longer exists?

Top Bottom