• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenberg: Quantum Break is not coming to Steam

Oreoleo

Where the hell is this GFWL narrative coming from? It's the same fucking store that's been there since Windows 8. Still shares functionality between the apps it shares with Xbox and such.

The same Family Guy and Red vs Blue episodes I bought on Xbox 360, I'm pretty sure it was with the first dashboard, is still there for me to download.

Nah, doom n gloom.

Go ahead and try to download some GFWL content that you bought around the same time.

Hint: You can't.

That's where the 'narrative' is coming from.

I can see the downsides to this, but if MS actually sees it through this time I think they will succeed regardless.

Selling it on the store and having it be hooked into the Xbox services makes total sense even if we don't like it. It's just like Origin or Uplay. However, the restrictive app packaging - while consistent with their strategy (hence why they have their own game DVR etc.) - may be more likely to bite them in the ass at some point.

If they go this route they need to provide compelling alternatives in their own ecosystem. Or, they could preferably just support good old x86 executables for "PC games" so all the injectors and third party software works.

I know people are citing the failure of GFWL, but it feels different this time. I think they will see it through.

Salsa

I don't see why this is an issue. Just people are never happy.

okay, shit, let's list it so maybe people stop with the "lol steam DRM fanboys" stuff

advantages of Steam:

- platform where your friends are
- platform you already use where are all your games are, no need to divide it
- no need to start using yet ANOTHER storefront / account / CC info / what have you
- ability to use your Steam credit you earned to buy the game rather than your money
- screenshots
- achievements
- guides
- all these within overlay
- SALES, chance for the game to go cheaper
- the fact that every other storefront has had one way to fuck up or another. be it lost saves, file corruption, slow downloads, whatever the fuck
- this alternative is virtually GFWL 2.0 which was by far the worse of all these other storefronts

do you really "don't see" why some people might not like this and just chalk it up to "PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY?"

I just assume people who say this arent familiar with the platform

thankfully the game will come to Steam eventually cause that's where PC games sell and they ultimately want their game to sell.

QuikNez

I guess I'll be waiting on this.

Nope. This means also that steam controller can't be used. (In addition to other limitations).

Not really. There's legit concerns over Microsoft's support for platform and how long until they abandon it and games become unavailable. (Like with GFWL).

At least Ubisoft & EA's Origin are proven and very likely to have continued support from them.

Because Microsoft has done so in the past?

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?publisher=Microsoft Studios&sort_by=Released_DESC

Also Xbox & PS4 games are sold elsewhere, and not in single shop only, so it's not really comparable. Xbox as platform isn't available on PS4, but Windows Store & Steam are both on same platform (Win10).

That said, I'll probably get it from some sale later when it's very cheap (unless I forget about it altogether, there's just too many good games coming on PC).

I recognize that managing history can be difficult, I also acknowledged those who think the Windows store is a POS, because it is (but it still works for most of us) and lastly I certainly feel for those who can get W10 working properly; that said, net net PC gamers are better off with QB (and other Xbox platform exclusives) coming out to them.

So considering the above, I just find that our complaining about the Windows store (except those with legitimate technical issues) as being downright petty and embarrassing.

We're better than that GAF.

SZips

Wait for the Feb 25th event where they will reveal more about their PC related news and features.

Why? Are they suddenly going to undo everything they did wrong with the Rise of the Tomb Raider release?

Are they going to permit:
Overlays?
FPS counters?
Graphical modding?
OBS?
ShadowPlay?

Their track record leaves a LOT to be desired here and unless you know something that the rest of us don't, I won't be holding my breath.

How dare them not want to give up a significant percentage of their sales revenue for no reason.

You don't think that making this exclusive to a platform many people want nothing to do with isn't an even bigger avenue for potential lost revenues than if they put it on Steam/Origin/GOG/etc.?

patapuf

Where the hell is this GFWL narrative coming from? It's the same fucking store that's been there since Windows 8. Still shares functionality between the apps it shares with Xbox and such.

The same Family Guy and Red vs Blue episodes I bought on Xbox 360, I'm pretty sure it was with the first dashboard, is still there for me to download.

Nah, doom n gloom.

The store working like an app store is precisely the issue

Jesb

Why couldn't they atleast let us get it on windows 8.1. I am sticking to this version why lose out on those sales. Stupid.

GHG

Gold Member

Nah, doom n gloom.

Do you really want people to start telling you the horror stories of GFWL? Do you really not know?

Guys, if there wasn't a Windows Store to put the game on, it probably wouldn't be on the PC at all.

Well, it's on pc but it's like it wasn't there actually.

It's treated like any other "app" from their store, which means you can't do anything (and it means that your hardware won't work as intended).

But since it's a Remedy game, I have some faith.

Still, not buying it day-one as I did for Tomb Raider.

Why couldn't they atleast let us get it on windows 8.1. I am sticking to this version why lose out on those sales. Stupid.

Because it's Direct X 12 exclusive and there is literally no excuse to not upgrade if you're playing games.
Then the people who want it on Steam won't buy it then. Seems like people are fine with Steam or bust.

Data to back that up?

There is none, as there's a single AAA game on it that's also available on Steam.

Anecdotally, I've never met anyone who's used the store at all.

Give it more time like GFWL?

GFWL faced that fate because they were doing great with XBox360, but now with Xbone they are not and also landscape changed a lot in PC due to steam and other storefronts gaining a lot for selling games last few years which they did not expect. So they've learned a lesson and now laying their future foundations using their Win 10 as a platform, so we can expect better support this time instead of GFWL mostly because we already seeing change as they are trying to support by releasing many of their AAA exclusives to PC. Give them some time like a year and you will see their support to PC. I'm really looking forward to their Feb 25th event and hope they will make their message clear this time.

Salsa

my butt

W10 store with real games will probably debut with Killer Insctinct, right?

we'll see numbers, we'll see what happens with QB, we'll see if Remedy pushes to actually sell their game on PC on a platform that's already established and where games sell the most by far

it'd be a stupid move in a list of stupid moves they've done and supposedly want to change (MS, that is)

it'll be a timed exclusive to W10 store for sure

Eh, don't care. It will play just fine either way. I'm not one of those people that has hard on for Steam though. I have no issues with Origin, Uplay, GoG, etc on PC. What's one more?

Gbraga

Since Remedy knows PC gaming very well, I'm hoping they'll try to offer in-game options to make up for the lack of third party software compatibility.

So, a proper framepaced 30fps lock, in-game fps counter and stuff like that. I have no idea how likely it is, but it would be nice.

jaypah

In for this and KI. I have games from every service scattered around my PC, 1 more isn't going to hurt. Sure I'd rather it be on Steam but I'm not going to pass up playing these games.

It's odd that people cited the increased sales being a good drive for QB to release on PC given the situation of AW's sales. Now that it's not releasing on steam people are upset and declaring their lack of intention to go anywhere near the game.

Yes I understand the lack of features is annoying as of now. With Microsoft looking like they're gearing up substantial PC support in order to lay the basis for their platform, whose to say things won't change? I mean at least give it til the upcoming event to see what they have planned before giving up hope.

This steam or no buy epitomizes the entitlement held by some gamers. I mean be glad the game is available on your platform of choice?

gamz

Win10 store is a system as closed as Apple's. It's bad, really bad.

Especially since it contradicts what I can normally do on my Windows pc with any other program.

I don't care for different platforms, I care about standards.

It's steam or any store closed?

CSJ

Locked to windows store, win 10 only, who's to bet bad sales performances (if any) will be cited because it was PC and not the other two aforementioned stipulations of playing.

I will never ever understand why no steam is a bad thing. It's on PC either way.

I think it's more a worry from those of us who've witnessed Microsoft's attempts at a content delivery platform being really, really bad.
I can understand if you haven't been around PC gaming that long, you don't even need to have had the problem yourself to know the wider spread issue like myself; was okay for me for the most part but others? Neeeewp.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
okay, shit, let's list it so maybe people stop with the "lol steam DRM fanboys" stuff

advantages of Steam:

- platform where your friends are
- platform you already use where are all your games are, no need to divide it
- no need to start using yet ANOTHER storefront / account / CC info / what have you
- ability to use your Steam credit you earned to buy the game rather than your money
- screenshots
- achievements
- guides
- all these within overlay
- SALES, chance for the game to go cheaper
- the fact that every other storefront has had one way to fuck up or another. be it lost saves, file corruption, slow downloads, whatever the fuck
- this alternative is virtually GFWL 2.0 which was by far the worse of all these other storefronts

do you really "don't see" why some people might not like this and just chalk it up to "PEOPLE ARE NEVER HAPPY?"

I just assume people who say this arent familiar with the platform

thankfully the game will come to Steam eventually cause that's where PC games sell and they ultimately want their game to sell.

Origin and uplay devalues those arguments IMO. PC is already a slightly fragmented storefront experience so one more won't kill you

Can you add win 10 store games to steam as a 'non steam game'?

Salsa

I will never ever understand why no steam is a bad thing. It's on PC either way.

post #206

Origin and uplay devalues those arguments IMO. PC is already a slightly fragmented storefront experience so one more won't kill you

Uplay games are sold on Steam

Origin lives and dies with MP shooters established before storefronts were a thing (battlefield, battlefront, etc)

gdt

Devils advocate: It's no wonder EA and Microsoft wont put their games on Steam. Doesn't Valve want like %30?

Err that's like the flat rate for all digital storefronts. PSN, Xbox live, App Store, Amazon, GMG, whatevethefuck

But yeah if MS has their own store it's ok for them to make it exclusive. It's not evil or whatever.

It just sucks for me and what I want. I'm ok with waiting. I'm not like super angry about it.

abracadaver

Won't buy on the W10 store. Not even for $10 from some shady 3rd world country marketplace

Give me Steam version or fuck off

madjoki

Devils advocate: It's no wonder EA and Microsoft wont put their games on Steam. Doesn't Valve want like %30?

30% is industry standard for digital games (physical games is around 50-50).

EA does sell their games on other places too, where they have to give 30% cut not just on Steam. (Probably because Valve requires games to download from Steam and not just give actiation code).

Jameson

Do you really want people to start telling you the horror stories of GFWL? Do you really not know?

What about the horror stories of people losing access to their steam accounts, having to deal with their slow non useful support over email for months. Both companies have their problems.

tuxfool

Banned
Guys, if there wasn't a Windows Store to put the game on, it probably wouldn't be on the PC at all.

I don't anybody contests that. They just don't care. I'll restate that I won't touch it until it no longer is a UWA. I don't really care for a compromised experience.

Salsa

What about the horror stories of people losing access to their steam accounts, having to deal with their slow non useless support over email for months. Both companies have their problems.

google around and find out what platform had more issues

and by google around I mean open your eyes at whatever on the internet basically, cause the badness of GFWL is as widespread as the dankest meme

epmode

Again, the Windows 10 store implements app restrictions that simply aren't present on any other PC storefront. You can't run anything with an overlay (like FRAPS), can't use third party software like Shadowplay to record footage, can't install graphics mods like ReShade.

For those of you who don't get why some of us aren't particularly fond of Windows Store and moves like this from Microsoft:

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

I'm generally fine with pretty much any client/storefront other than Windows Store. I simply do not have any confidence in them.

Feichaw

I really don't see a problem with this. I almost bought an Xbox One to play this game, so I'm very happy that it's coming to PC after all.

Top Bottom