• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Trailer (60 FPS)

Because of the connotation, perhaps?

Driving games and fighting games are 60fps and 'arcadey' by virtue of appearing in arcades, so maybe that's where you're getting that notion from?

Smooth frame rates just feels unrealastic to me. And it's probablly because when i was a kid i'd play in the arcades (most arcade games were 60 i think?) like i remember crazy taxi and stuff..
i know it's just a weird thing to say but i prefer 30fps for most stuff. especially if there is a realistic tone. I couldnt stand 60fps on last of us remastered for instance. but if it was something like power stone, 60fps is the way to go.

i suppose it's movies and "cinematic" ruined games for me being 60.

Omni

Meh. Maybe a year ago

At this point there's nothing really here that makes me go "wow I'm going to buy this again". Great for those that didn't cave in and buy it on the consoles, I guess.

GavinUK86

Yeppers and I should be able to at 1080p with most settings up.

It's up to you what you do of course but that just seems really weird to me. I usually cap my games to 30 if they hover in the 40's or 50's but never if I can hit 60. Interesting.

Tawpgun

lol anti 60 fpsers are amazing.

Id I had a PC capable I'd triple dip. This looks amazing. And the mods will be so good.

Smooth frame rates just feels unrealastic to me. And it's probablly because when i was a kid i'd play in the arcades (most arcade games were 60 i think?) like i remember crazy taxi and stuff..
i know it's just a weird thing to say but i prefer 30fps for most stuff. especially if there is a realistic tone. I couldnt stand 60fps on last of us remastered for instance. but if it was something like power stone, 60fps is the way to go.

The "smoothness" of real life must have you in constant agony at all times.

I'd guess your only hope is to constantly be in a state of drunkenness so everything slows down, goes blurry and it impairs your reaction times.

Compared to the PC centric trailer they put out for GTA IV this was a little disappointing. Some nice shots and all but this was more like a studio demo reel than a trailer.
NO DELAY? No catch here for the PC version?

Something's gotta be up..
The catch is it won't work for most people at launch.

The "smoothness" of real life must have you in constant agony at all times.

I'd guess your only hope is to constantly be in a state of drunkenness so everything slows down, goes blurry and it impairs your reaction times.

i'm not against 60. Just some games should have it, some shouldnt (just my opinion)

and the difference between 30 and 60 for reaction times is so slim it doesnt even matter to most people.

Kinthalis

Banned
No but it's fair to speculate that it will take a very fast CPU, and overclocked at that. My stock 4770K won't cut it for a locked 60 but framerate should be high enough for me with toned down LOD. No way I'll set the density slider to its max value.

GTA 4 is still pretty brutal on modern CPUs :
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Grand_Theft_Auto_IV-test-GTAIV_proz.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Grand_Theft_Auto_IV-test-GTAIV_intel.jpg

Isn't GTA IV a DX9 game? That API has a shit ton of CPu overhead. It's NOT a good source of comparison for a DX11 game.

taa0098

Neo Member
Can't wait to finally experience this game for the first time on PC, I've managed to stay very spoiler and mostly game play free since it came out! Also these anti-60 fps comments are mind-boggling to say the least. I pretty much built my computer for 60 fps, it feels so much better than 30. This isn't to say that 30 fps is unplayable, if I'm on console I have no problem with it (hi bloodborne <3), however I will always, always choose 60 if the option is available. Which on pc, almost always is.

60 FPS are only important when it's a console game running @ 60 fps or when a console can maintain a higher framerate than the other.

On PC (oft when the console counterpart can't sustain the same framerate) it's too realistic, too non-cinematic, too smooth.

Seanspeed

Banned
and the difference between 30 and 60 for reaction times is so slim it doesnt even matter to most people.
It actually makes a noticeable difference. Console gamers don't tend to realize it because everything they play is always [roughly]the same speed.

It is why 60fps is so important for racing sims, for instance. It's not something that only benefits some people, it is basically a necessity for driving optimally. Of course many games don't *require* such precision, but the point is that it does give you much tighter feeling controls.

jWILL253

Banned
Is that DJ Krush mashed up with something else? Or is that a track from the OST with lyrics added, it's been a while since I listened to the OST. Either way, cool jam.

I imagine this is MNDR feat. Killer Mike - "Lock & Load", from the upcoming Rockstar-sponsored compilation "The Alchemist & Oh No Present: Welcome to Los Santos"

BTW, the song she's singing over is called "The Grip", from the OST. It plays during the Hood Safari mission.

I don't understand how experiencing glorious 90's arcade games could make you dislike 60fps...

Tawpgun

i'm not against 60. Just some games should have it, some shouldnt (just my opinion)

gzus

To me the eye opening moment was playing Halo at 60 fps. So smoooooooooth

You'd be very surprised what can happen in those extra 16ms (60 FPS is ~16ms and 30 FPS is ~33ms).

I never finished GTA V because I couldn't take the blurry 720p sub 30 FPS mess that was the 360 version. In the 360/PS3 and One/PS4 version, were there bullet casings on the miniguns or is that something new for the PC version?

jediyoshi

http://30vs60.com/

That is a good site showing you the difference and feel of 60FPS in different games.

But really, the anti-60FPS crowd is both hilarious and rage inducing.

Nah, thumbnail videos are awful, always gives the illusion of higher framerates in either scenario. I imagine the 30fps clips are actually post processed with the 60fps clips as source material, completely different. It's like the shitty 30fps mode in TLoUR vs running the original game.

neilka

The catch is it won't work for most people at launch.
It's the first time Social Club is going to be used as a distribution platform in addition to the stats/achievements system it has been so far. It's not hard to foresee it being a complete disaster on day one.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I know what he means, it brings out a certain "fakeness" that is less apparent at lower fps. Sort of akin to the Hobbit debacle.

But I still think it looks way better and would always choose 60fps, soap opera appearance and all.

The irony here is what he describe as fakeness is how your eyes see with clarity vs how cameras used to make movies or tvs shows work.

ninanuam

Banned
No but it's fair to speculate that it will take a very fast CPU, and overclocked at that. My stock 4770K won't cut it for a locked 60 but framerate should be high enough for me with toned down LOD. No way I'll set the density slider to its max value.

GTA 4 is still pretty brutal on modern CPUs :
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Grand_Theft_Auto_IV-test-GTAIV_proz.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Retro-Grand_Theft_Auto_IV-test-GTAIV_intel.jpg

I have a 4790K 4.0Ghz and a 970. Am I gonna be able to run this mothafucka?

(yes Im very drunk right now).

Already pre ordered through steam totally triple dipping.

Kinthalis

Banned
DX11 has a very high overhead as well, but probably less than DX9.

Not probably. Definitely. The difference from DX11.1 and higher to DX9 is around what the difference is expected to be from Dx11 to DX12. DX9 rendering will choke a single CPU core if you dare try and do more than a small number of draw calls, or try any sort of decent lighting effect.

Kezen

Banned
I have a 4790K 4.0Ghz and a 970. Am I gonna be able to run this mothafucka?

(yes Im very drunk right now).

Already pre ordered through steam totally triple dipping.

"Run" yes without a doubt.
With what settings we can't say, it totally depends on whether or not Rockstar have enhanced the PC version beyond its console counterparts.

Not probably. Definitely. The difference from DX11.1 and higher to DX9 is around what the difference is expected to be from Dx11 to DX12. DX9 rendering will choke a single CPU core if you dare try and do more than a small number of draw calls, or try any sort of decent lighting effect.
DX11.1 is nice but very few games use it, should we assume GTA 5 will be one of them ? DX9 was a sequential API but so is DX11.
Yet, we can find a number of DX9 games scaling to 4 cores or more. Don't you find that surprising ?

I would expect GTA 5 to run better than 4 on modern CPUs but this is going to be a challending game if you crank up the LOD.

There is no justification for how poorly GTA IV performs. I have a i7 5820 @4.3 Ghz and it dips into the 40 fps range in many areas even with LOD turned down significantly. If GTA IV is a performance indicator for GTA V and it is bottlenecked similarly, then they fucked up. The fastest CPUs on the market overclocked significantly wouldn't acheive 60 fps locked.

derExperte

It's the first time Social Club is going to be used as a distribution platform in addition to the stats/achievements system it has been so far. It's not hard to foresee it being a complete disaster on day one.

See the server issues after heists got released for consoles. It won't be pretty.

tci

It's really sad that 60 fps seems to be some magic thing that have been happening the last few years. How gaming have fallen.

As for the trailer. It's quite terrible. Not sure what they want with it. I will get GTA V when the modding scene have made it better.

It's really sad that 60 fps seems to be some magic thing that have been happening the last few years. How gaming have fallen.

As for the trailer. It's quite terrible. Not sure what they want with it. I will get GTA V when the modding scene have made it better.

I remember when Quake III Arena would run at 200+ FPS.

Makes it look kind of fake and too gamey. Look at the city pan in the beginning- it looks way too static, gamey, and fake. This is the cost of 60fps and why I'm not a fan save for multiplayer games. Everything else looks awesome and a decent step above the PS4 version, especially IQ.

COMPLETELY agree, it looked sped up like benny hill to me.

Grief.exe

Probably one of the reasons Rockstar hasn't removed GFWL from GTAIV can be attributed to just how much of a mess that game is.

Zomba13

Ewww disgusting. Look at how smooth it is. Like, that isn't realistic or cinematic at all! And with the PC you can have it at 4K? Why!? The eye can't see more than 1080p anyway! It's a waste and not realistic at all.

I'll stay with the console version thank you very much.

/s duh.

Top Bottom