• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Trailer (60 FPS)

jediyoshi

The irony here is what he describe as fakeness is how your eyes see with clarity vs how cameras used to make movies or tvs shows work.

The irony in this context being the idea that one is objectively better than the other when in other mediums it's simply a stylistic preference.

Symphonia

Banned
Makes it look kind of fake and too gamey. Look at the city pan in the beginning- it looks way too static, gamey, and fake. This is the cost of 60fps and why I'm not a fan save for multiplayer games. Everything else looks awesome and a decent step above the PS4 version, especially IQ.
GTA V isn't a game?

Well, I'll be damned.

The irony in this context being the idea that one is objectively better than the other when in other mediums it's simply a stylistic preference.

But you can't really compare video games to other mediums in that matter.
Movies run at 24FPS, videogames at 24FPS would look horrible.

UnrealEck

People grasping at straws by saying 60 FPS is 'unrealistic' are cracking me up.
I'm sure your opinions will change when it's a PS4 vs Xbox One DF article or something.

COMPLETELY agree, it looked sped up like benny hill to me.

Probably because you're so used to seeing it at 30fps in every other single piece of footage out there. You've never seen GTA V at 60fps before so it's weird at first. It's the same reaction people have to movies being shown at high framerates, they're so used to seeing it at 24.

I bet if you played a solid month of GTA V at 60fps and went back to 30 it would be even more jarring than the opposite. It would look broken

I bet if you played a solid month of GTA V at 60fps and went back to 30 it would be even more jarring than the opposite. It would look broken

This. Trying a game in 60fps for some time and then playing it in 30 is one of the worst experiences you can have. Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious.

eso76

The "smoothness" of real life must have you in constant agony at all times.

I'd guess your only hope is to constantly be in a state of drunkenness so everything slows down, goes blurry and it impairs your reaction times.

Man, give the pro 30fps crowd a break.

I can totally understand why 60fps would look a little awkard at times.

Titles like The Order and Driveclub, for example, owe a lot to their 30fps+motion blur aesthetics.

Kezen

Banned
There is no justification for how poorly GTA IV performs. I have a i7 5820 @4.3 Ghz and it dips into the 40 fps range in many areas even with LOD turned down significantly. If GTA IV is a performance indicator for GTA V and it is bottlenecked similarly, then they fucked up. The fastest CPUs on the market overclocked significantly wouldn't acheive 60 fps locked.
I don't think there is any reason to believe GTA 5 won't run better. Tech has matured, the mainstream PC landscape has changed as well, quad core parts are very common. I still think there will be drops no matter what, due to DX11 limitations.

People grasping at straws by saying 60 FPS is 'unrealistic' are cracking me up.
I'm sure your opinions will change when it's a PS4 vs Xbox One DF article or something.
This.
Reeks of hypocrisy and damage control.

Zomba13

Looks glorious.

I would hate to live in the world where 30 fps looks/feels better, like so many people do.

I prefer having to deal with less information. 30fps is less information for my eyes to process so is therefore more natural and healthy.

Just anticipating a future argument in favour of low framerates.

ToD_

That looks fantastic. I can kind of see where people are coming from when they see these cinematics compared to what they are used to. Actually playing the game at 60fps will be a much better experience, however.

jediyoshi

But you can't really compare video games to other mediums in that matter.
Movies run at 24FPS, videogames at 24FPS would look horrible.

Then why conflate the idea that people's exact dissonance with regards to either is a symptom of ignorance regarding games? Surely you actually recognize that tangible aesthetic quality exists purely in regards to visuals in any other instance, right?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Man, give the pro 30fps crowd a break.

I can totally understand why 60fps would look a little awkard at times.

Titles like The Order and Driveclub, for example, owe a lot to their 30fps+motion blur aesthetics.

Why this crowd stirs the pot all the time and in a moment a big developer gives us something that some of us what we want they stink up a thread despite whining about certain eltists in certain driveclub or the order topics doing so to them.

Suck it up and deal with it fellas it's a big deal.

It certainly looks good and I appreciate the enhanced visual fidelity. However, I don't think that, even if I pick it up, I'll ever play it. I've played through GTA5 twice now, once on 360 and again on PS4 and while it's prettier, there's not enough added singleplayer content to justify a triple dip for me. Granted, I haven't played the online heists but I want to experience the continued tribulations of Michael, Franklin and Trevor. I'm really hoping that we'll hear about an expansion soon, preferably at E3.

ninanuam

Banned
I wish they would give us specs for this shit.

This is the game I decided to buy a new CPU for, If I need to upgrade something else I will. (not buying a new GPU, I don't know anything about how all this shit works but open world games apparently are CPU limited not GPU limited my new 970 will hopefully be OK, maybe in a year ill get another GPU but nothing I own has pushed this fucker yet) The next CPU was like many $100's more. 4.0 Ghz should hopefully be fine...I can probably get more hertz out of overclocking if necessary, but I don't like overclocking.

I also bought a third small 120 gig SSD just for it. now I hope I can transfer my Xbone GTA online character to PC.

RK9039

Free online as well.

happydog.gif

This. Trying a game in 60fps for some time and then playing it in 30 is one of the worst experiences you can have. Some of the comments in this thread are hilarious.

Pretty much. Even when playing a game and having it go from 60 to 30 sometimes is very jarring and distracting. There's a huge difference between the two.

As someone else said if it was a case of the PS4 version being 60 and XB1 being 30 there would be FAR different comments about it

I don't know if I believe Rockstar that this runs at 60FPS. The PS4 struggled to run this at 30FPS and 2x30FPS + 2x console efficiency according to Chris Carmack at iD= 4x as much power is needed. I don't think even quad SLI Titan X is 4x as powerful so how could any PC run this at 60FPS?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am all set for this.

I don't have internet at the moment but figured out how to get free USB tethering so I don't have to use my 5GB wifi tethering. That means unlimited data on my PC via USB and my Nexus 5 @@

I also expect this to run much better given how optimized the console versions are. SLI 970's and a 4.4ghz 5930k should kill this at 1440p.

jediyoshi

I don't know if I believe Rockstar that this runs at 60FPS. The PS4 struggled to run this at 30FPS and 2x30FPS + 2x console efficiency according to Chris Carmack at iD= 4x as much power is needed. I don't think even quad SLI Titan X is 4x as powerful so how could any PC run this at 60FPS?

...was the bottleneck purely in the GPU?

Stampy

I haven't been following on GTAV PC news, but a serious question, why did they delay the PC version for such a long time. It seems to me like they are saying to all the PC players that they really don’t care about them.

Because the PS4's CPU is garbage. GPU isn't everything, when it comes to proper optimization.

CSJ

Are you actually serious right now? Do you even play games on a PC and Console?
There are so many titles that consoles run at 30 which PC's are unrestricted and up to the users hardware, pushing 60fps.

The first thing I will do when I get this game is spend a couple of minutes getting it running smoothly at 60fps but the main reason I have been waiting for the PC version is not the graphics but because I found GTA4 played much better with mouse and keyboard controls especially when you have to drive and shoot at the same time.

RK9039

Horse Armour doing fine work as always.

Agreed, as well as limiting it to 30 fps, Im going to coat my monitor in vaseline and headbutt the sidewalk to induce a concussion for dat motion blur before playing.

Sweetfx/Reshade: film grain and letterbox, dat filmic experience.

Are you actually serious right now? Do you even play games on a PC and Console?
There are so many titles that consoles run at 30 which PC's are unrestricted and up to the users hardware, pushing 60fps.

He's not being serious, he is being sarcastic.

FloorEssence

Neo Member

Oh lord

Kezen

Banned

I know you are trying to be funny but this kind of parody post can derail threads.

CSJ

He's not being serious, he is being sarcastic.

Cool down? Bit of a stretch.

I'm sorry, have you been reading the rest of the thread? It's hard to figure out who's being serious or not, I mean there are a lot of odd one's around.

(Nice quick edit:p)

shandy706

Awesome trailer, graphics look amazing. Will be the best looking open world game ever IMO .

Having put a TON of time into the current-gen console version there isn't a lot in that video (assets wise) that looks much different.

However, I look forward to playing it with everything cranked and a more stable framerate with cranked AA (or downsampling).

I have a ton of games to play right now though, so I'll grab the PC build down the road at a good price. Gamestop gave me GTA V for free or I would have waited.

Khasim

Locked 30fps is nothing terrible, but if somebody tries to play a game that has a lot of shooting with manual aiming in 30 fps and then in 60 and then says that 30 is better then I just can't wrap my head around it. I play games to play them, not watch them, and aiming in 60 fps is just so much more precise it's not even a contest.

I recently found that extremely noticeable in AC Unity when I upgraded my GPU and was able to play in mostly 60 fps. The difference is staggering.

Locked 30 is still better than fluctuating 30-60 though, IMO.

Top Bottom