• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA: Vice City still has the best song selections!

OP is right.

San Andreas has awesome radio stations, but Vice City was still better. It'll be tough to ever match anything like Vice City's radio again because it came out at such a sweet spot. Record labels and performers were willing to have their music in the game, didn't demand a high price, and figured "whatever, it's just a videogame..." But the success of Vice City and San Andreas made it much harder to get music into the games... And then suddenly you have people suing Rockstar because they didn't know the kind of revenue that these games made and the amount of money they could have gotten from it, then you have labels pulling music from the games in future releases or not re-upping their license later on.

Vice City was the sweet spot for getting licensed music into a game. San Andreas was great too. IV was very disappointing IMO... It never sounded like a radio station, it sounded like some guy's hipster Spotify playlist with only three or four songs that were bona fide radio hits. And while GTAV was better than IV, it was still a little disappointing.

Nothing touches WCTR though. GTA has never had a better talk radio station. IV and V's talk radio were horrible in comparison, especially V. V has 3 boring programs and it seems like no matter what, it's always on annoying ChakraAttack.

Fjordson

Vice city's music definitely complimented the game's atmosphere the best compared to other sequels.
They'll never be able to top Vice City in that regard. Simply not possible. The 80's was a distinct era in popular music and Vice City's radio is laser-focused on invoking said era. So it all ties together nicely. The soundtrack is basically a hand-picked list of culturally significant songs that stood the test of time and would still resonate with people in 2002.

With games set in the present day like IV and V, they don't have decades of separation to see which songs will make a lasting impact on people. And today you have things like classic rock and other stations focusing on the past, so it inevitably ends up feeling less cohesive. Which is just a mirror of today's radio in the real world.

Almost always had wave 103 on, and goddamn that never say never song was so bad.

Now that I'm older I think I could listen to the rest of the stations but I remember at the time feeling there were really notable omissions from the era such as Duran Duran or The Police or Adam & The Ants.

Dai101

Banned
Pressing Issues with Maurice Chavez was the best radio in any GTA game.

Commercials included?

You're listening to VCRP, the radio station for disoriented and unrealistic college professors who wear fuzzy sweaters and find everything terribly interesting. I'm Michelle Montanius.

Indeed it is. The BEST.

Josie's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I wanna say
You know I like my girls a little bit older

Marjorine

Easily my favorite.

I bought this game when I just moved to a new city and was lonely. I fired it up and then Wang Chung starts playing? Damn man. Picked me right up.

Axial

Absolutely agree, Vice City had indeed the best music selection to complement the overall theme and atmosphere of the game.
San Andreas soundtrack in comparison was quite disappointing and mediocre at best. Imho the worst were stations like Radio Los Santos or Playback FM... really couldn't get into the game with all that gangsta rap and hip hop bullshit. Radio X and K-DST were minor exceptions with a couple of solid tracks, nothing special though.

Camp Lo

Banned
Yeah, I can't disagree with this. SA has the best rap but only rap. VC has good stuff on every station. It's really remarkable.

True, but somehow I remenber the radio stations of GTA III more. Probably because it was the first game I played that had actual radio stations.

Good memories!

bud23

CJ would like a word with you OP

cjbig.jpg

"I appreciate your input, but please, fuck off."

And yes, as a huge SA fan, I agree.

Remeard

I definitely enjoyed GTA3's more. Vice was pretty much just the hits. GTA3 seemed to really capture everything there was about what it was going for instead of being locked into trying to be something else.

And that opera man, damn.

Fjordson

Absolutely agree, Vice City had indeed the best music selection to complement the overall theme and atmosphere of the game.
San Andreas soundtrack in comparison was quite disappointing and mediocre at best. Imho the worst were stations like Radio Los Santos or Playback FM... really couldn't get into the game with all that gangsta rap and hip hop bullshit
=[ that gangsta rap and hip-hop bullshit complemented the theme and atmosphere of SA as well as anything in VC. This is early 90's south central Los Angeles we're talking about.

Edit: unless you're just literally not a fan of hip-hop, which is cool.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
No lie right there.

Mainly because I looooooooove the 80's.

I would lose my mind if the next GTA was set in the 80's again, especially with how amazing GTAV 's port looks - one made from the ground up? Oh boy.

Wrote this just a short while ago, though I've edited and improved it to try more clearly (but still long-winded) covey my argument, when we had this same topic (and same concesus) why I think GTA Vice City's songs, even isolated from the broader music (such as original scores) and sound, are great but surpassed by GTA V.

GTA V likely as an overall score, though I need to explain why the scoring of the game is relevant to the soundtrack.

V is the first GTA with an original score. The 80s synth/cyberpunk-esque and jazzy score pieces to the mission set-ups, preparations, and executions are very well crafted and one of the most ambient scores in any game. There are moments where it feels like the cast is in a cyberpunk cityscape, noire thriller, or Michael Mann scene. The work that Tangerine Dream did on the action tracks and The Alchemist did on the ambient set pieces is masterful. And their skill set is precisely when the soundtrack of GTA V is elevated above other GTA's.

Vice City has an incredibly purposeful soundtrack, and by far the tightest and strongest mood and theme. And it has a track listing that easily compares to GTA V. But what GTA V has that VC does not is that GTA V scores the soundtrack to the story more because Rockstar added a talented team of folks like Tangerine Dream and The Alchemist to do so and produce an additional original score.

Lazlow chose the soundtrack list for both Vice City and GTA V, and I think both fit their rightful themes perfectly. I'd argue almost every GTA's soundtrack is top notch, and Lazlow always seems to find the perfect mix of known and unknown tracks that capture both nostalgia and surprise. In particular, VC stands out because VC is tighter where as GTA V has to have tracks that fit a much wider variety of locales, such as Vinewood, Los Santos, East LS, Sandy Shores, Chumash, and Blaine County, and in that regard GTA V has a soundtrack that fits 5 or 6 themes very well opposed to VC needing only 1 theme. And in that regard, both soundtracks fit their respective moods well, and are loaded with gems. Worldwide FM and FlyLo FM deserve special note for just finding free roaming gems, but this is more subjective. Objectively, the thematic choices for the varied geography of GTAV are complimented very well by Los Santos Rock Radio, Mirror Park, The Lowdown, and Rebel Radio, and East Los FM much in the same way that Emotion, Fever, Flash, and VRock perfectly complimented VC.

But what sets GTA V above is that it also has its own masterful original score created by a very talented team, and that team was able to better utilize the soundtrack. VC's likely most iconic moment utilizing the soundtrack is only Flock of Seagulls, but GTA V story has numerous moments utilizing everything from Seger, Chicago, NWA, Green Velvet and Harvard Bass, Smokey Robinson, and T.S.O.L. The scoring of the story, precisely because it had the team doing the original score to the story and missions, also better utilized its soundtrack for key moments in the game.

Arguing about the best colour or taste is a little silly of course but objectively speaking GTA V had by far the best musical production of any GTA game. It's the only GTA with an original score and the only GTA that makes tailored use of its soundtrack for in-game moments. Even the trailers, the best in the series, have made The Chaingang of 1979's Sleepwalking icon for GTA V, but that's much in the same way Vice City was even more iconic for Flock of Seagulls. It's the in-game use, however, that sets GTA V above GTA VC. Sometimes it just changes your radio station, such as Trevor Philips Industries beginning with Soulwax FM in the car. But often, a specific song has been chosen to set the mood of a mission. The game has a lot of great moments that are in part defined precisely because it picks specific songs to play on the radio at that time, such as NWA's Appetite for Destruction for Franklin & Lamar, Waylon Jenning's I Aint Long Living Like This at the end of Mr. Philips, Doobie Brother's What A Fool Believes and TSOL Abolish Goverment-Silent Majority for Crystal Maze, Chicago's If You Leave Me Now finishing Monkey Business, and Black Strobe's Boogie in Zero Gravity for the Jewelry Store. The latter, for example, being the iconic song for completion of all Heist 1 parts and also part of the reason the finale of Heist 1 is one of the best moments in the game.

I think a lot of folks miss that, along with a lot of the world detail and game world life, for that matter, if you only play the game once because you assume it's random and not handcrafted.

I would agree that a good case for either VC or GTAV could be made for having the more purposeful, thematic, and successful soundtrack. VC is probably the tighter and more thematic soundtrack. But I would say as a broader soundtrack listing, and also 'use' of those songs in-game in specific missions and cutscenes, was superior in GTA V. Subjective prefer and taste aside, I think the technical production of choosing and use songs was more competent, active, and purposeful. Overall I would give over GTA VC the edge to GTAV because its soundtrack was more utilized to score the story.

*nods*, i agree

it was all new to me as well, so it just blew my mind when i heard all the songs
how it introduced me to the gods known as hall & oates

plus Blondie is amazing

Corpsepyre

Banned
No lie right there.

Mainly because I looooooooove the 80's.

I would lose my mind if the next GTA was set in the 80's again, especially with how amazing GTAV 's port looks - one made from the ground up? Oh boy.

I know, right? Shit, it could be the best thing Rockstar ever does. GTA V-quality visuals, set in the 80s, with 80s pop/rock to back it up. I'll just disappear into that game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's some good shit there, for sure! GTA V was so bad music-wise. A rock/metal fan? Tough luck, fuck you.

EDIT: The original score in V was great though, yeah.

maxcriden

Incredible OST. Seriously, just amazing. I used to like GTA a lot and now I found it repugnant. But this soundtrack is incredible.

Indeed. Still the best GTA soundtrack. Actually, best soundtrack of any game. Still have my treasured 8 CD box set.

I'd love to see Rockstar revisit the 80's.

San Andreas had a very strong playlist, but looking at that list it's clear Vice City has an all time great playlist, especially the Flash FM and V-Rock stations, just fucking mega classics in there.

I didn't even know Peace Sells was in Vice City either, i'm going to have to reinstall and ride around on a bike listening to V-Rock :D

Top Bottom