• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Stans damage control all y'all want. Same reason why Will Smith can't be one of the greats is the same reason y'all can't say drake's close to the best of his generation.

Courage

Like Esch said, it makes sense for hits. But if I find out a song like You & The 6 was ghostwritten, then I'd just laugh my ass off.

Still looking forward to VFT6. I hope all this BS fuels him (or his ghostwriters
zfzBavv.png
) to make something great.

Nibel

Like Esch said, it makes sense for hits. But if I find out a song like You & The 6 was ghostwritten, then I'd just laugh my ass off.

Still looking forward to VFT6. I hope all this BS fuels him (or his ghostwriters
zfzBavv.png
) to make something great.

Writer's room is prolly
znKfZXs.png
znKfZXs.png
znKfZXs.png
right now

Detox

That same Hollywood reporter article says the soundtrack got Em and Kendrick on it. If it's new shit we bout to get another west coast classic.

Dereck

I don't think Hannibal Buress' new show is funny, but the guy is gonna have Flylo, Thundercat, and Open Mike Eagle on the next episode. Damn you Hannibal, now I'll have to watch it again.

Drake is basically Hov

- the talent, classics, and being ugly

+ some singing
Breh did you see that Drake>Hov thread on the Coli. Dudes were legitimately making the argument, comparing their first 3-4 albums. I had to log off for the day and listen to country music to cleanse myself of urban fuckery.

I'll give Drake props for his winning streak; dude might be on the most commercially successful run of any (black) rapper. Everything he touches charts, he's going plat without singles, dude is just winning right now.

But the more he succeeds the more I feel compelled to compare him to the greats....and he just doesn't match up on any level. Maybe you could say he has the best hooks or whatever but then again 90s rap often had different types of hooks compared to today.

Kyzer

Banned
He's right but it doesn't invalidate the fact that, if its really entire verses written by others, Drake is literally a pop star on the level of britney spears. He's just a face and unique timbre.

But Vince staples is right. A songwriter is a career for a reason .

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Breh did you see that Drake>Hov thread on the Coli. Dudes were legitimately making the argument, comparing their first 3-4 albums. I had to log off for the day and listen to country music to cleanse myself of urban fuckery.

I'll give Drake props for his winning streak; dude might be on the most commercially successful run of any (black) rapper. Everything he touches charts, he's going plat without singles, dude is just winning right now.

But the more he succeeds the more I feel compelled to compare him to the greats....and he just doesn't match up on any level. Maybe you could say he has the best hooks or whatever but then again 90s rap often had different types of hooks compared to today.
Maybe you could say Jay had the best raps or whatever but then again modern rap often has different types of raps in comparison to the 90s.

Lol it's pretty simple, just compare Thank Me Later to any decent debut
doesn't even come close
pretty laughable actually

FZZ

Banned
Not even gonna lie DS2 has some of the best production I've heard this year on any album

It's not the greatest album or anything but the production has straight moments of brilliance

And it's so simple too

Esch

Banned

He not comparable to any of the greats really. I think Take Care is a borderline almost there type effort but when I rustle back through it i walk away like There's not a single standout moment in his career where i really take a look at him and think damn, you really are up there with the best, you're one of the best rappers to bless a microphone. I can't really think of a single time I heard him spit something so ridiculous that I run it back a couple times to really think about it or just cause it hits me deep. Just in terms of writing or rapping. As an overall musician Drake's pretty good, but he's not a gawd emcee.

What I really like Drake for is some of the energy he brings on guest verses or throwaways. He's a more personal rapper than can operate on trap shit and make it seem less generic.

C2d1gDR.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drake > Jay
Certainly looks like the trajectory.

At least I don't feel like anyone has owned an era so clearly as Drake has this one in a long time. Dude is the perfect storm in so many ways.

He not comparable to any of the greats really. I think Take Care is a borderline almost there type effort but when I rustle back through it i walk away like There's not a single standout moment in his career where i really take a look at him and think damn, you really are up there with the best, you're one of the best rappers to bless a microphone. I can't really think of a single time I heard him spit something so ridiculous that I run it back a couple times to really think about it or just cause it hits me deep. Just in terms of writing or rapping. As an overall musician Drake's pretty good, but he's not a gawd emcee.

What I really like Drake for is some of the energy he brings on guest verses or throwaways. He's a more personal rapper than can operate on trap shit and make it seem less generic.

C2d1gDR.png
I think Drake is kind of missing that moment but I also think with the amount of music that's pushed to us now it's kind of hard to extract that as it doesn't have time to settle. I don't even really feel Kendrick has had one of those moments. Would you consider shooting in the gym that moment? Bullets that fire backwards? Control? They may as well be, or maybe that accolade takes the form of consistently reminding you that I'm a force to be reckon with and artists and OGs bending over from going "he's not that nice" to "yeah Drake is one of my favourites."

He's undebatably one of the greatest of all time as an artist and I'm pretty glad we're at a point where the accomplishments speak for themselves and we don't have to argue over that. But I think where it really breaks down is his legacy as an MC being framed up against guys who do what they did for their era in that way, usually very aggressively attacking a beat, and I think every MC should be treated within their own context. For Drake that's the relatibility, content diversity factor and the barrage of opposition he's overcome that puts him up there. He might not touch my soul like Cube and Pac did, but the work is there IMO.

drake's greatest contribution was giving us the weeknd
while his influence is A-tier, he'll be remembered as a high B-list rapper imo
not that I don't enjoy a lot of his stuff
but can you even with half a straight face imagine putting his name alongside some of the greats as far as quality goes? didn't think so

overcast

As an artist? Naw. Take Care is probably the only album I feel is overwhelmingly praised. I think his influence and popularity is undeniable. Shit, you can say the dude is pretty much in control of where the rap game heads and his content is solid enough. It still feels like Drake's greatalbum has to come. Nothing Was The Same and Reading This leave us close to 4 years out. He's killed some verses and released a couple of good songs here and there but that won't cut it. We need one singular full body of work that is completely realized artistically. Which is why Take Care comes close but that shit is way too inconsistent and poppy for myself.

Honestly, he can be a great artist but he hasn't made something where I say he's one of the greats. This is all personal of course.

Fjordson

He already has one classic under his belt in Take Care imo, but I'd say he needs another one or two to really solidify himself.

Nothing Was the Same is a personal classic for me, but that's just me. Don't think it was as widely praised or as influential as Take Care.

Can I shit on Ab Soul one more time? I was listening to Dead Presidents 3 for some reason and realized I forgot about this

I ain't waiting for my knee to blow
Yesterday I was needing this dough
Get it, kneading/needing this dough

That's what I'm talking about. That's how you do it. Flab Soul and Toku, take this L.

Courage

I've been converting to the 'NWTS > Take Care' camp gradually. Take Care has way too much filler, even if it has some of his best tracks on there.

Nibel

Can I shit on Ab Soul one more time? I was listening to Dead Presidents 3 for some reason and realized I forgot about this

I ain't waiting for my knee to blow
Yesterday I was needing this dough
Get it, kneading/needing this dough

That's what I'm talking about. That's how you do it. Flab Soul and Toku, take this L.

Now this is someone who would benefit from a ghostwriter

Esch

Banned
I think Drake is kind of missing that moment but I also think with the amount of music that's pushed to us now it's kind of hard to extract that as it doesn't have time to settle. I don't even really feel Kendrick has had one of those moments. Would you consider shooting in the gym that moment? Bullets that fire backwards? Control? They may as well be, or maybe that accolade takes the form of consistently reminding you that I'm a force to be reckon with and artists and OGs bending over from going "he's not that nice" to "yeah Drake is one of my favourites."

He's undebatably one of the greatest of all time as an artist and I'm pretty glad we're at a point where the accomplishments speak for themselves and we don't have to argue over that. But I think where it really breaks down is his legacy as an MC being framed up against guys who do what they did for their era in that way, usually very aggressively attacking a beat, and I think every MC should be treated within their own context. For Drake that's the relatibility, content diversity factor and the barrage of opposition he's overcome that puts him up there. He might not touch my like Cube and Pac did, but the work is there IMO.

For me, Kendrick has a couple of those moments. It didn't really materialize in a single song for me till GKMC (Sing About Me) but already on section 80 he was showing off a combo of crazy wordplay, subject matter and flashes of brilliance in overall technical breadth and depth. When people started taking Drake a little more seriously as a rapper I think it was in between Take Care and NWTS and he started dropping more fire throwaway tracks on soundcloud and his radio dominance became clear. Anyway Marvin's Room might be that moment for him, maybe.

undebateable greatest of all time artist
laff.gif

Barrage of opposition? He already had a presence and contacts in the entertainment industry before he ever dropped a verse. His mixtapes had Kanye West, 9th Wonder, Boi-1da production.... Lil Wayne, Bun features... Compare that to say, Hov himself, who was getting kicked out of A&R meetings and had to actually sell drugs to muster enough money to break into the music industry. Of course there were a lot of heads sticking up their nose at Drake, but they don't matter too much in a market sense and haven't since the 90s.

Either way IMO he's not seeing Jay on trajectory, he has no Reasonable Doubt level album and I don't really see him dropping a Blueprint either really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've been converting to the 'NWTS > Take Care' camp gradually. Take Care has way too much filler, even if it has some of his best tracks on there.
I'm more split on this than I was before, which was Take Care >>> NWTS.

All I can really say is NWTS has better album cuts but worse singles, and I also take notches away for being kind of the start of some of the less than stellar go-to flows Drake has been using since.

TBH I've been coming around to Thank Me Later too. Well, half of it. It's not cohesive but it's not supposed to be. You forget how many damn smashes there are on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom