• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GVF-Hop l0† 13l La Soulja Nostra

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
He pretty much single handedly started the incredible alt pop movement, and even if you don't like his voice you can't deny his skill as a producer.

I assume you're talking about this generation, because Bjork is pretty well accredited with starting that movement in the 90s. Except those people who point to Yoko. But we ignore those people.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Fair enough. I'm listening to some more of his tracks, he's alright. I can see why people are high on a potential rap collab.

codhand

the fuckery

yo1gpol1.gif

overcast

Didn't care for that James/Rza track.

Drake stans quick to point out that he'll still sell millions. Of course he will. Just funny that this is happening at all.

I should have said alt RnB.

That would make more sense.

Whatever you call James Blake's or Bjork's sound, it's been around for decades before either of them. Pretty much since the first synth people have been making "alt pop" in one form or another. In it's current form, it probably stems from Kate Bush. The Dreaming album in particular.

Esch

Banned
He pretty much single handedly started the incredible alt pop movement, and even if you don't like his voice you can't deny his skill as a producer.
I respect the way he plays around with his vocals a lot but WRT his self titled that people really go gaga for, I've never been into. It's like he's trying to have the spirit/soul of Cooke-y RnB but done with the disjointed rhythms of some of the more awkward west coast/Flylo style productions... But ALSO like some Pärt style overarching minimalism. Honestly that music frustrates me because sometimes it feels like it's about to unfold into something really impressive and multilayered with lots of different voices but then his shit will shut down and go quiet again.

I actually quite prefer Overgrown as a result. I think it takes better advantage of Blake's poppier sensibilities, gives you a solid range of sound to explore, but maintains a pretty consistent moody aesthetic all the way throughout (something he's overall good at: project theming).

Daria

Wait, what? Dope! Blake's first album is a personal classic. Second was great, too.

tru

James Blake had 'limit to your love', 'wilhelms scream', 'I never learnt to share', 'why don't you call me'. Overgrown had 'Overgrown', 'Retrograde', and 'Digital Lion'.

I respect the way he plays around with his vocals a lot but WRT his self titled that people really go gaga for, I've never been into. It's like he's trying to have the spirit/soul of Cooke-y RnB but done with the disjointed rhythms of some of the more awkward west coast/Flylo style productions... But ALSO like some Pärt style overarching minimalism. Honestly that music frustrates me because sometimes it feels like it's about to unfold into something really impressive and multilayered with lots of different voices but then his shit will shut down and go quiet again.

I actually quite prefer Overgrown as a result. I think it takes better advantage of Blake's poppier sensibilities, gives you a solid range of sound to explore, but maintains a pretty consistent moody aesthetic all the way throughout (something he's overall good at: project theming).

Just get to the point: dude's voice is trash. He'd be a dope songwriter for someone.

Ninja Dom

Woah, for real guys, I never heard of James Blake before till now. Looked him up on Wikipedia and now I'm streaming the Overgrown album. I nice haunting style to it. I like it so far.

Esch

Banned
Looking back wholly at the Drake thing........It's understandable when you get to a certain point of big that you have people writing your hits or you buy them off other people on your roster (which i suspect he's long been doing for his sing songy shits with Weeknd/PND/Majid Jordan). Sustaining a stream of hits honestly requires doing stuff like that. but there's been rumors about Drake from the beginning with Nickelus F.

It's one thing to have people on the sidelines who are brushing your shit up but i don't even think Kanye is doing stuff like having people write a straight verse for him, reference tracks word for word like Meek is implying. It's at least kinda more understandable with a Dre or Ye cause they're still producers first and foremost, nobody but the dumbest stans respect their pen game or ever thought they had a claim to best "rapper"/emcee at any point in time. There is (was?) a solid level of respect for Drake as not only a rapper but for his bars, his content, etc.

dUlMFSY.png

Kinda feels like if a lot of the things people have been saying about him are all true then it's like hes basically... Katy Perry/Rihanna? Just a face?

Fjordson

Still kinda hard to believe somebody is handing Drake completed verses. At least in a broader sense for the majority of his songs. But if he really did do it for Rico then that's not a good look.

I mean if drake has someone ghostwriting his shit he's overpaying lol
But can you really overpay when you're going platinum every time out.

This may have shut down a big cashflow for Q. Miller. Kinda fucked up by Meek, brehs gotta eat
feedme.png

Nibel

Look up Wikipedia b, it's all there. Drake never hid the fact he has people like Hush or Quentin behind him and did credit Quentin for his work. The reason making a big fuss about this is that it a) came from Meek who has an audience and b) people on Twitter do 0 research about Drake or the music industry in general. Besides, nothing better than a conspiracy theories with explanations from unconfirmed/biased sources like Meek, OG Maco or that other no-name I don't remember right now.

Whatever the reality is behind the scenes: Meek is still a bitch for doing the exact same shit he did to Wale. Claiming to care about realness but being signed to the man who forged an entire persona. Claiming to care about realness but trying to expose someone who not only supported him during his prison days but gave him 2 of his 3 top 10 singles and always showed respect. Claiming to care about realness but complaining on Twitter like a fifteen-year old and trying to make this 'situation' a thing because otherwise nobody cares about Meek like they do for other high-profile rappers. People crucify Drake for being emotional or talking about feeling but Meek burned a bridge because of Drake not tweeting about his 4/10 album or doing a video with him. That whole Nicki thing might play a role as well, but that's probably a whole different story.

Sad shit is even the self-proclaimed OGs side not only with Meek but support his bitch-ass behaviour just to take shots at someone they will never accept amongst them. A lot of people clown Meek for his shit and rightfully so, but the fact that the people who should know better buy into that bullshit is just disappointing. These people are still blinded by a romantic view of hiphop and that a rapper has to do his work in a certain way to be credible, which for someone like Drake doesn't work 100% anymore since there are dozens of people dependant on him and his success; everything he does needs to succeed.

It's no surprise that Drake has people on his side when writing shit, but yeah: it sucks that Meek burned that bridge for literally no other reason than jealousy. I mean the whole fuckery is incredible and I rarely laughed the past few weeks as much as I did today, but yeah: shit was unnecessary and corny in my eyes, and bad for Meek as it will not even scratch Drake. Hova was completely right on 'Light Up', lmao

Courage

I'm listening to this Quentin Miller dude's music and he doesn't really sound like Drake (as a matter of fact, he sounds awful), so I'm somewhat doubtful Drake is leaving the reference tracks untouched.

Meek seems to only be referring to RICO anyway, considering Miller wasn't credited in that song. It'd be somewhat of a stretch to say he doesn't contribute anything to his music. But crazier shit has happened (like ghostwriting about someone else's dead brother).

overcast

Well honestly who gives a shit about Meek Mill. It was dumb but funny.

People tend to get writing credits all over albums now, feel like there is a particular strict nature to putting out a big album. If Drake has had others penning basically everything for him? That does hurt him imo, but I don't believe he hasn't written shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm listening to this Quentin Miller dude's music and he doesn't really sound like Drake (as a matter of fact, he sounds awful), so I'm somewhat doubtful Drake is leaving the reference tracks untouched.

Meek seems to only be referring to RICO anyway, considering Miller wasn't credited in that song. It'd be somewhat of a stretch to say he doesn't contribute anything to his music. But crazier shit has happened (like ghostwriting about someone else's dead brother).
I think I can see where people are saying the songs on his latest album are his, but yeah this dude is straight awful. I wonder if dude himself played Meek the original tracks and is looking for a come up.

Semi-related, but September is coming up and we still don't know Drake's label situation, right? I wonder if he's gonna go through OVO Sound or set up a deal with 300 (I remember rumours of him being part of its inception when people thought it was going to be a management agency).

That last one especially lol

Esch

Banned
I dont give a shit about sides or anything, or that i believe all of what Meek/OG Maco are saying verbatim. IDGAF about Meek, he's probably just mad his girl got swooped. I don't even care about this beef really, I just think that IF true it kinda confirms a lot of the suspicions i had, especially wrt some of his more RnB tracks.

Kanye doesn't sound like Consequence, CyHi or Rhymefest either... Not saying Kanye straight raps off references but ghostwriting isnt always that obvious.

VaLiancY

The situation behind this tweet confuses me. He got offended by the "dream girl" line and then got played the verse by the other dude weeks before the album came out and releases the album to only bring it up now?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The thing about album credits is the hip-hop community is so out of touch for what can get you writing credit. Writing credit is not just a lyrical contribution, it's also anything musical. There are a bazillion ways to get writing credit.

- You contribute a hook or reference
- An A&R (or simply a connection) gets a beat from someone and that someone has done some work on top of the beat that influences the record
- The beatmaker himself
- Your homie lets you know that line was wack and that maybe it should go like this (everyone does this and there's zero problem with this IMO, only way people get better)
- Samples, including ones they record themselves and chop up
- The-Dream adding the -ella-ella- to Umbrella

It's a losing game to try and figure out, but if Meek does claim he heard the reference track with a completed verse on it it's cause for controversy. It's all hearsay until keeping it real goes wrong (or right).

Fjordson

The thing about album credits is the hip-hop community is so out of touch for what can get you writing credit. Writing credit is not just a lyrical contribution, it's also anything musical. There are a bazillion ways to get writing credit.

- An A&R (or simply a connection) gets a beat from someone and that someone has done some work on top of the beat that influences the record
- The beatmaker himself
- Your homie lets you know that line was wack and that maybe it should go like this (everyone does this and there's zero problem with this IMO, only way people get better)

It's a losing game to try and figure out, but if Meek does claim he heard the reference track with a completed verse on it it's cause for controversy. It's all hearsay until keeping it real goes wrong (or right).
Yeah, it's a lot more broad / complex than some people realize.

But I think this is an L for Drake unfortunately (or fortunately depending on the banner you march under) even if it never goes beyond Meek's twitter rant. Perception is reality for a lot of casual fans out there.

I'm waiting for the soundcloud link of Q. Miller rapping the RICO verse. That would be a legendary megaton. Probably exists somewhere out there in the depths of the internet.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate

- The beatmaker himself

Example - All Day:

Kanye West, Tyler Bryant, Karim Kharbouch, Mario Winans, Ernest Brown, Cydel Young, Victor Mensah, Allan Kyariga, Mike Dean, Che Pope, Noah Goldstein, Allen Ritter, Charles, Njapa Malik, Yusef Jones, Paul McCartney, Patrick Reynolds, Rennard East, Kendrick Lamar, Noel Ellis

RP912

Banned
All this twitter beef got me going back to the JMT album that was released this year. I don't understand the hatred, it was a banger. It's good to see Stoupe and Vinnie back together again, even though Jus Allah wasn't apart of the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom