• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of chapters in Ryse beaten in 90 minutes ?

Gaz_RB

So when it reviews poorly, an MS PR rep will humbly explain that this is a second game, meant to be enjoyed with casual gamers who only have movie-length attention, and that they knew it would review poorly because it only has three hours?

vbIU3Ie.gif

Don't make fun of yosp!

Gestault

Things that have nothing to do with this news: Polygon and other games.

It's almost as though a lot of the conversation in this thread is motivated by some other, different events recently. And since we have live-streams having shown play-times far different from this, first-hand accounts of longer playtimes by people who finished the game, and even the original source doesn't claim to have finished the game, I think this thread isn't necessarily a font of reliable information and discourse.

Could the game be short? Sure. We'll know soon enough. The source here sure as heck doesn't know yet.

Patryn

I bet DR3 reviews better than people are expecting, given the backlash in the press against all this tech talk.

I'm still convinced that when the dust settles, DR3 will be the highest rated launch exclusive of the two platforms, with a Metacritic somewhere in the low 80s.

Omega

Banned
Did anyone expect longer?

This game was made for "people who come home after a hard day of work and just want to relax"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
From the live stream, there's atleast 8 chapters. Can't tell if the menu scrolled or not.

But yeah, it took them 45 minutes to livestream all of Chapter 1. It was on normal as a beefed up character.

Your average movie runs for like $10 a pop nowadays, so $60 for three hours of cinematic content + dat crytek button prompt tax seems about right.

I don't think Ryse will review worse then KZ

Not because the game might be amazing but I just have a hunch that it will get mid 8s to low 9s by the press

KoopaTheCasual

Yikes, I figured it would be really short, since they kept avoiding that, but that's too short. And those tweets? He cleared Legendary in under 7 hours? Not a good look. Expecting 5 hours average, then.

Warewolf

Not too surprised, Ryse looks gorgeous but never looked like a lengthy game. That's good though, I don't think Ryse -as it stands- has the kind of gameplay you'd want in a long campaign.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well I went through and estimated that the chapter takes around 32 minutes to complete without any cutscenes or pausing. There are 8 chapters in total so if they were all 32 minutes each you've got yourself a 4 hour campaign on normal without any cutscenes.

I don't think a reviewer would ever gauge the playtime without cutscenes.

Mdk7

Many of us guessed it would be short but if that keeps up holy shit. That's like COD length right there.

Actually i was told in person by one of the dev in Cologne last summer that the lenght of the single player is "around the lenght of CoD", so you pretty much nailed it.

Moneal

Forza Motorsport - May 2005
Forza Motorsport 2 - May 2007 (Gap of two years)
Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 (Two years & five months)
Forza Motorsport 4 - October 2011 (Two years)
Forza Motorsport 5 - November 2013 (Two years & one month)

One ever two years is hardly rushing things these days.

why didn't you add horizons - October 2012? it basically split 4 and 5. so its 4 games in 5 years

tfur

Not surprising. Shimmed on controller input that probably should of remained Kinect.

At least with Kinect input you could excuse the jankiness.

People are upset over the low scores for Knack and kill zone

Well it's not just Polygon. But i agree with gaf, polygon seems to have an obvious bias towards Microsoft and we shouldn't base our decisions around their reviews be it ps4 or xbox one launch games just to keep everything even.

Derrick01

Banned
KZ and Knack gets trashed.

Forza doesn't look impressive and missing standard features.
DR3 is a god awful technical mess.
Ryse is 3 hours
KI has 6 or so characters i think?

Safe to say next gen took forever to get here, yet still rushed to the market. lol

Yeah once I go through my launch games I can see my PS3 being hooked back up for quite a while.

GameSeeker

Game length doesn't matter. Polygon will give it a 10 and claim it's the most historically accurate Rome simulation the world has ever seen.

Chobel

Well I went through and estimated that the chapter takes around 32 minutes to complete without any cutscenes or pausing. There are 8 chapters in total so if they were all 32 minutes each you've got yourself a 4 hour campaign on normal without any cutscenes.

Still short, but maybe the other chapters are longer than the first.

9.8/10 from Polygon, I'm calling it.

Why, because Knack wasn't up to what you expected? ...and just because Killzone looks amazing, that doesn't make it an amazing game!! Those reviews are across the board, not just Polygon!! Dry your tears and move on.... You still have Infamous.

Top Bottom