• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half of chapters in Ryse beaten in 90 minutes ?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
What the hell kind of journalist can't wait 3 hours to give their impression if they're it really 90 minutes left for the remaining half?

frayne182

Banned
I don't care about the length of a game. I'm perfectly fine with the story being under 10 hours in games. I don't have the attention span to stick with one game for a long period of time. I also want to know what difficulty they are on. I heard there is plenty of settings for this game.

Planning on getting this game no matter how long the story is.

stevil

Well it's not just Polygon. But i agree with gaf, polygon seems to have an obvious bias towards Microsoft and we shouldn't base our decisions around their reviews be it ps4 or xbox one launch games just to keep everything even.

I only know of the bc of gaf :) Appart from the scores it is crapy written.

figured it would be kinda short and i was right to be on the iffy side since i have dead rising and forza and killer instinct to play when i get xbox one.

this looks like a rental/ price drop game for me.

i wish i had that target buy 2 get 1 free deal though :'( would have been easier to take the plunge on Ryse.

Tex117

Banned
Seems like all the launch games are coming up short overall. Kind of a bummer...seems like we could've used another year to marinate Next Gen.

Nah,
It seems launch titles the last few generations have been weak.

And it makes sense if you think about it.

All the big developers want one last push with the current gen with a wide install base to sell the most games. Kinda like Naughty Dog and TLOU, GTAV, etc (though they probably have more than one development team, but you get my point).

Hence, it takes a year or two for a generation to get the really really good games in the mix.

As soon as Witcher 3 comes in (or another awesome RPG) (or red dead), then Im in.

Until then, I have an amazing backlog of games to play to finish out this generation.

So realistically it's probably in the 6-8 hour range to complete. At least that's what I can gather considering the 45 minute video/stream of chapter 1 and the tweet saying it took about 7 hours to beat. 90 minutes to beat 3 chapters seems a bit sketchy to me but who knows.

Either way, if it manages to stretch out to 8 hours then I'll be okay with that. As long as the story is at least decent.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
What's the big deal? Previous games on current gen were the same length if not shorter. Killzone 3's SP campaign was about 6 hours long.

cripterion

I'm fine if it's 7 hours campaign since I'm pretty sure the game will get reptitive. They need to flesh out the MP mode though with different ennemies, fighting styles, weapons, etc...

10/10 from Poly… oh wait. nm.

"No padding or filler, all action" 9/10 - IGN
"Film like" 8.5/10 - Gamespot
"Encourages replayability" 10/10 GOTY candidate - Polygon

There's always Polygon.

Polygon's GOTY.

Polygon Review: "3.5 hours is the perfect length for this type of game- 9.5" incoming

I hear Polygon finished their reviews for these launch titles 2 years ago

Polygon 9/10

"Ryse is an exceptional game, the length is absolutely perfect for the genre, and the game runs at an amazing and sharp 900p. The visual fidelity is unmatched on consoles."

Polygon: Finally a launch game that doesn't overstay it's welcome like knack.

9/10

9.8/10 from Polygon, I'm calling it.

"If it were anymore real, it would be real" 10/10 Polygon(Reviewed by AG)

"Ryse is like Halo, just with swords and some other awesome stuff" ~ Polygon 9.5/10

It's MS so 10/10 from poly.

Polygon 9.9/10

Game length doesn't matter. Polygon will give it a 10 and claim it's the most historically accurate Rome simulation the world has ever seen.

Steel

Banned
I was hoping for more rome-like rpgs. This doesn't quite qualify as an rpg, but I was hoping it would do at least OK in reviews to justify more games with Rome or greco-roman mythology as a back drop. But a game that can be beaten in 3 hours? Oh well.

At least now if it flops then maybe game makers will move away from stupidly short games.

King_Moc

Banned
Could be it, but has that been verified?

I think i saw someone post something Arthur Gies said on twitter seeming to confirm it? They've never denied it, anyway. If it never happened, they'd certainly have denied it as it rips their integrity to shreds. Especially when their Sony reviews are often towards the lower end of the scale compared to other reviewers.

I'm not saying they're biased, but i do know that if someone gave me that kind of money i would be doing them all the favours i possibly could.

Well this whole striving to be more cinematic is getting ridiculous... now they're going to emulate running time as well?...
*joking... kinda*

Borgia

Banned
People have been overreacting to the reviews of killzone/knack, can't wait to see what ryse gets. Because so far apart from the graphics i haven't seen anything positive about it.

Jeels

This is kind of expected for a launch title, but it is shockingly low even then. At least it has a multiplayer component.

What will be more impotant is if the game is any fun.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Probably a good thing. Ryse doesn't have the kind of combat to really justify a 10+ hour length. It's not Devil May Cry so it shouldn't overstay it's welcome.

That being said, I think you'd be nuts to drop $60 on this game. Rent it, gawk at it, finish it in one day and take it back.

Xater

Hey let's put a positive spin on it! the less time you have to spend with it the better.

The game loomed crappy at Gamescom.

Top Bottom