• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR 4k TV sets with lowest input lag?

insanexer

Does anyone know anything about the models they have at costco? They don't seem to have model numbers that match up with other retailers? Can you just compare it to the closest model number it resembles? (last couple digits tend to be different)

They have an LG 65" for 1,000 right now that i'm eyeing.

The model number is similar to this one:
2016 65" LG 65UH6150 4K 120hz LED HDTV 33ms Check Amazon Great DisplayLag

Costco:
LG 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) 4K Ultra HD Smart LED LCD TV 65UH615A

Will the "A" make a difference?

If not, this seems like a sweet tv?

Comparing the spec sheets on the LG site they look identical, but obviously that doesn't guarantee anything.

I have this TV and I got it from Costco for $999. It is no different than the 65UH6150 that was $1299 at best buy when I bought it. Same TV, just a slightly different model number. I love it so far. I bought a 65 Sony model as well just to compare which one I liked better. The sony went back into the box and I kept the LG. The game mode is fantastic and I noticed details, colors, etc I haven't seen before on both my xbox one s and ps4. Also, it recognizes HDR content and shows on netflix like Marco Polo look out of this world good. I wouldn't think twice about getting this one. The only downside is that it has 3 hdmi ports.

dose

The input lag when a 4k TV receives and shows an actual 4k image is a lot higher than normal. I think people are going to be in for a shock when the Pro comes out.

The problem with HDR is that it may add to the input lag if enabled. To get the lowest input lag, you need to enable game mode which disables most of the post-processing effects and features, HDR including.

Rich!

Samsung is generally pretty good with latency (~20ms) though I think Vizio does even better (~10ms). Definitely check out Rting.com

Problem is for myself is that Vizio seems to be a US only brand.

Samsung is pretty much the best I can see available here for myself in the UK. I have nine retro consoles hooked up via rgb to an xrgb Mini - so input lag is absolutely crucial for myself when choosing a new set.

Vinc

Does anyone here have experience with a KU6290? I'm wondering how input lag is with HDR on and I can't seem to find info on this online.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I mentioned this in the horizon thread, but I bought this one: Samsung UN50KU6300 50-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model), and I absolutely love it. I've been mainly gaming on it, and watching Netflix and YouTube, and the picture quality is gorgeous, the input lag seems very good as well (I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls 2, 3, and Deus Ex on it, mainly. I'll be popping in some God of War and other 60fps games this weekend). I've only had it for a month, but I have no complaints. Great price as well at $625USD.

I had no plans on jumping into the 4K scene, but my 40" 1080p set croaked on me suddenly, and I figured if I was going to get a new TV, might as well just get a 4K one, and a bigger screen to boot. All of my TVs have been Samsungs. They've yet to disappoint me.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I have Game Mode turned on. I had it off for the first day initially, then turned it on. Truth told, I didn't see much of a difference with it on and off in terms of performance/input lag. I spent a good half hour to 45 minutes tweaking picture and audio settings, but it's a very nice set, especially if your primary aim is gaming. Reading the reviews, I can't say I noticed any judder when watching streaming movies and Blu Rays. I popped in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and watched half of it, and was very impressed with everything from sound to picture, to performance (no juddering).

georly

Costco uses the warehouse product code and stores use store product code. They're most likely identical except maybe frame color.

Costco has the KS8000 as KS800D.
Good to know, thanks!

I have this TV and I got it from Costco for $999. It is no different than the 65UH6150 that was $1299 at best buy when I bought it. Same TV, just a slightly different model number. I love it so far. I bought a 65 Sony model as well just to compare which one I liked better. The sony went back into the box and I kept the LG. The game mode is fantastic and I noticed details, colors, etc I haven't seen before on both my xbox one s and ps4. Also, it recognizes HDR content and shows on netflix like Marco Polo look out of this world good. I wouldn't think twice about getting this one. The only downside is that it has 3 hdmi ports.

Wow thanks.

And 3 HDMI ports is more than enough for my needs. Ok getting it now. Appreciate the feedback.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
All these tests are pretty much invalid enabling HDR mode in game mode if the tv even allows it in the first place adds more lag please keep that in mind. If you truly want to be safe wait for next years models.

Example: LG G6 OLED goes from 34ms in [Game] mode to 51ms in HDR mode. It does implement a HDR "game mode".

Samsung is the same boat added input lag when you compare HDR off v On.

Nipo

Digital Foundry did an article on this back in August:

For those not interested in HDR, the Samsung KU6400 (KU7000 in North America) offers up great 4K performance at a low price point. Extremely low input lag, deep blacks and good colour accuracy all provide a solid experience. The KU6000 (KU6300 in the US) is the cut-down option, with a standard rec 709 colour gamut (the KU6400/KU7000's is slightly wider) and a direct backlit display rather than an edge-lit set-up.

Right now options are somewhat limited for gamers in need of a low latency screen for HDR. And balancing out a good ratio of price versus performance alongside the different panel types and standards (which can dramatically affect HDR performance) isn't as easy as it should be. The Panasonic DX750 hits the sweet spot for displays around the £1000 mark in terms of both screen size and feature set, while the LG UH850V provides a good alternative for those who prefer the wider viewing angles of an IPS panel.

In terms of higher-end models the Panasonic DX902 stands out as an excellent choice delivering solid performance in many areas. Alternatively, more casual gamers and those not too sensitive to input lag would do well to check out LG's E6V OLED (or perhaps the cheaper B6). At 64ms input lag is certainly tolerable for more casual HDR gaming, and you get the added benefits of superb contrast and native black levels that exceed even the best Plasma HDTVs.

Costco uses the warehouse product code and stores use store product code. They're most likely identical except maybe frame color.

Costco has the KS8000 as KS800D.

Thanks for explaining this... was lookint at Sams Club and they have the KS800D as well. Figure it more or less identical, but still.

Have a 2015 70 inch 4k Vizio (no HDR) that Im trying to take a loss on but pretty much get at least close to enough to cover going down 15 inches, but havent had a whiff yet on craigslist. :/

Nipo

Thanks for explaining this... was lookint at Sams Club and they have the KS800D as well. Figure it more or less identical, but still.

Have a 2015 70 inch 4k Vizio (no HDR) that Im trying to take a loss on but pretty much get at least close to enough to cover going down 15 inches, but havent had a whiff yet on craigslist. :/

A lot of times stores will do slightly different product codes to prevent price matching and/or because they offer a slightly different warranty.

Earlier poster was right, KS800d is a rebranded KS8000 for Costco. Only difference is the color of the bezel. I've got the 800d, love it. Can't wait to hook up a PS4 Pro to it.

I've never looked too deeply into this but I'm curious: what's considered the average acceptable amount of input lag for a non-4k, non-HDR capable HDTV? I'm curious for the sake of comparison.

New002

I've never looked too deeply into this but I'm curious: what's considered the average acceptable amount of input lag for a non-4k, non-HDR capable HDTV? I'm curious for the sake of comparison.

It's going to vary from person to person, but personally I consider 20-30ish to be acceptable, with preference toward the lower end, and 20 and below to be fantastic. This is when talking about HDTVs.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

I'd say 2 frames around 33ms or so of lag is acceptable but lower is always ideal if you can get around a frame or under of lag you'll be loving it.

When I play fighting games I def prefer under a frame of input lag.

On top of all this you have game engines that have their own amount of native input lag lol.

New002

In the comments they state that is the 4k HDR input rating. Not sure where the 1080p comment is coming from.

Probably because the screenshot they show right above the input lag paragraph is marked 1080p on the top right and has "www.leobodnar.com" on the bottom right.

Karak

Probably because the screenshot they show right above the input lag paragraph is marked 1080p on the top right and has "www.leobodnar.com" on the bottom right.
Maybe. Can't see it on my mobile

I'd say 2 frames around 33ms or so of lag is acceptable but lower is always ideal if you can get around a frame or under of lag you'll be loving it.

When I play fighting games I def prefer under a frame of input lag.

On top of all this you have game engines that have their own amount of native input lag lol.

Yes this is something people forget. Everything adds some lag even a damn controller. So going from what you have now to something that SEEMS fine may put you above a ceiling.

It's going to vary from person to person, but personally I consider 20-30ish to be acceptable, with preference toward the lower end, and 20 and below to be fantastic. This is when talking about HDTVs.

Wow, that's actually a little surprising to me. Is this true of current non-4k, non-HDR enabled HDTVs? I would've thought 20-30ish would be high...

I dunno much about 4K TV on Sony side, but my 1080p Sony is amazing. Feel like people are exegerrating a bit here, most Sony sets are still reviewing good.

jeffc919

Gracias. Besides the look of the ks8000 it seems like the best choice

Unless we're missing something, or you don't care about high input lag, or you don't care about HDR, or another model gets a firmware update to lower game mode with HDR input lag....it seems like the ONLY choice available now (along with the other KS8xxx/KS9xxx models).

The Sony model with the lag in the 30s might be OK if you aren't too concerned with PvP multiplayer.

Karak

Unless we're missing something, or you don't care about high input lag, or you don't care about HDR, or another model gets a firmware update to lower game mode with HDR input lag....it seems like the ONLY choice available now (along with the other KS8xxx/KS9xxx models).

The Sony model with the lag in the 30s might be OK if you aren't too concerned with PvP multiplayer.

Agreed. Its why its best to wait until the better technologies in the next couple months get than input rate down. No reason to go into the futures BIGGEST picture breakthrough with edge lit when there is barely any media right now anyway. Wait for deals, improvements to the better tech and then hell you could still do it when it actually really mattered if nothing full array and no banding got better

Heidern98

I have the LG 65UH9500 and it feels ok for lag, but none of the sites seemed to have done any measurements for it. AVSForum's thread discussed it and were able to get details that it is an actual true 10-bit panel vs. a 8-bit panel with dithering. I don't have any data on HDR performance because MS still hasn't put out an HDR game I can try with the XBox One S.

I also sent a message to LG about adding an HDR Game mode option (right now the TV auto-switches to a new set of video modes whenever it detects HDR content). Hopefully that is something that is possible, but who knows if they will update it anytime soon.

With Forza Horizon 3 coming in a couple of weeks I should be able to try HDR gaming and might be able to provide some subjective comments regarding lag.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Wow, that's actually a little surprising to me. Is this true of current non-4k, non-HDR enabled HDTVs? I would've thought 20-30ish would be high...

Things have gotten much better in the HDTV space in the past manufacturers did not give a flying fuck now most are starting to give a real fuck about game mode.

One example I can give is how Panasonic plasma's went from having great low input lag in game mode to high as fuck input lag in their last few sets because they simply kept more and more processing options on to improve the picture.

I still keep my G10 Plasma around for fighting games because it's legit fast enough for me to land all my one frame links in fighters.

I dunno much about 4K TV on Sony side, but my 1080p Sony is amazing. Feel like people are exegerrating a bit here, most Sony sets are still reviewing good.

Sony have done a good job over the last 3 or so years with their game mode not only on their TVs but their projectors too. Example their VPL-HW65ES 1080p projector has 22ms of input lag in game mode which is awesome enjoy that big screen gaming bro. :)

You'll have to go Samsung for low lag and HDR, HDR definitely works on the JS9000 2015 in game mode, so I'm sure the KS range do too.

jeffram

This is such a sad statement when just a couple of years ago Sony was by far best-in-class in terms of input lag.
Yeah, my current Sony set has less than 20ms. That being said, I don't know how much of an impact it would be to go up to something like 50ms

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
The problem is that all the tests done on these sites are when receiving a 1080p signal. When a 4k signal is received the input lag is even higher.

RTings states that the difference is about 10ms higher using a computer and applying the 2 screens method of lag input testing. For a set like the KS8000, that would mean the HDR in game mode might be at 34ish ms rather than 24ish. Still very good.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
The problem is that all the tests done on these sites are when receiving a 1080p signal. When a 4k signal is received the input lag is even higher.

Keep repeating yourself without a source. It's super effective.

I had the KS8000 and in game mode when playing Dark Souls 3 at 4K on PC it felt fantastic. There was a visual stutter that annoyed me, so I returned it (only to find out later that I just didn't have a second correct on my PC). I am a picky bitch when it comes to input lag, so, even if it is a couple of milliseconds above the rated 20ms on displaylag, it's still damn good.

Karak

Keep repeating yourself without a source. It's super effective.

I had the KS8000 and in game mode when playing Dark Souls 3 at 4K on PC it felt fantastic. There was a visual stutter that annoyed me, so I returned it (only to find out later that I just didn't have a second correct on my PC). I am a picky bitch when it comes to input lag, so, even if it is a couple of milliseconds above the rated 20ms on displaylag, it's still damn good.

Actually no what he says is indeed true.
Additionally you being ok with something doesn't mean someone else will. In fact technically your the one commenting without a backed up source other than "picky bitch". His is indeed backed up. By Rtings themselves and now a couple other websites. It will add some lag and nothing he said in that post is unaccounted for.

As for me I still think its a totally fine input lag. But going off the hinges isn't needed.

New002

You just gotta keep your expectations in check when looking at HDTVs. I consider 20ms to be excellent on an HDTV, but for a monitor I would want closer to 10ms, which is what my current monitor is rated at. Again though a lot of it is personal. What may be unplayable to you, is perfectly acceptable to others, but the numbers I listed are what I think are solid general numbers.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Actually no what he says is indeed true.
Additionally you being ok with something doesn't mean someone else will. In fact technically your the one commenting without a backed up source other than "picky bitch". His is indeed backed up. By Rtings themselves and now a couple other websites. It will add some lag and nothing he said in that post is unaccounted for.

As for me I still think its a totally fine input lag. But going off the hinges isn't need.

I just picked one of his few posts that parroted the same thing. In a previous post on this same page he said it is "a lot higher." I have heard nowhere that it is that significant (including rtings). Yes, in PC mode 4K it is 36 milliseconds - I would classify that as "much higher", but that's PC mode. If game mode is ~2 milliseconds higher, it hardly seems newsworthy.

Also - me asking him for a source when he is stating something as fact isn't out of line. I don't need to give a source when I am stating an opinion. That's why it's an opinion.

urge26

Anyone with this LG 43UH6100?

This whole PS4 pro debacle now has me wanting to upgrade my 32" Vizio to a new set and this seems to fit what I want (don't want to go past 43").

Karak

I just picked one of his few posts that parroted the same thing. In a previous post on this same page he said it is "a lot higher." I have heard nowhere that it is that significant (including rtings). Yes, in PC mode 4K it is 36 milliseconds - I would classify that as "much higher", but that's PC mode. If game mode is ~2 milliseconds higher, it hardly seems newsworthy.

Also - me asking him for a source when he is stating something as fact isn't out of line. I don't need to give a source when I am stating an opinion. That's why it's an opinion.

Then quote correctly next time. Otherwise its filled with jackassery and looks factually incorrect. To fight inaccuracy by then being inaccurate just causes issues and muddies the entire thing especially if true wrong data is being given out. But I have done it myself for sure as well.

You just gotta keep your expectations in check when looking at HDTVs.
This is so true best to know that right now there is a difference in these things compared to your beastly monitors. Like no gsync.
But its nice to see some of them putting some effort into it now.

Top Bottom