• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDR 4k TV sets with lowest input lag?

Cartman86

Banned
I really really am ready to spend up to 3500 for a 4K TV, low latency (<40ms) at 4K with HDR on, OLED, Full 4:4:4 to my knowledge literally does not exist. If I have to maybe i'll go with the KS8000 LCD? Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between that and a great OLED?

HOW MANY THREADSSSSS

the power of PS4 Pro

I really really am ready to spend up to 3500 for a 4K TV, low latency (<40ms) at 4K with HDR on, OLED, Full 4:4:4 to my knowledge literally does not exist. If I have to maybe i'll go with the KS8000 LCD? Does anyone have an opinion on the difference between that and a great OLED?

would like to know this as well. currently looking at the KS8000 65"

jaaz

I'm looking at the Samsung 8500, my only problem is that it's curved, any got a curved tv? how you feel about it when playing games?

I haven't played any games on one, but I did see it in person at BB today. And it looked amazing, even better (to my eyes) than the non-curved version (8000 series). I'm seriously considering going with the curved version.

Trojan

Would you mind giving me a breakdown of your settings on the PC side? Are you running 4:4:4?

And you are actually playing games at 4K in game mode and it feels good?

Not sure what you mean by 4:4:4...can you elaborate? I have a Titan X, but you can still get great 4K performance from a 1080, as long as you aren't a stickler about having the highest settings at 4K for some games. I always want to optimize to 60fps at 4K and it feels great playing at that frame rate. The game mode for the TV doesn't actually go to "game mode" when it detects a PC connected, so it still keeps the same great IQ and low 23ms input lag. It just hard-locks to a 60htz refresh rate and I can still use the dynamic mode and HDR and dynamic contrast adjust (I keep everything else off as far as post processing). This TV is awesome with a PC hooked up at 4K.

Pandacon

Totally. You're right. It seems like they sold much worse than flat models so companies are pivoting away from them.

Tough to say because I went from an okay 2013 LG led to a 2016 LG OLED. This thing is stunning and I don't see any issues caused by the curve, but it's a whole different ball of wax compared to my old set.

Hah, that's gonna be same for me probably. I'm using super budget 1080p stuff for my desktop and PS4 so any upgrade is a big upgrade for me at this point XD

Garuda1One

well damn, thanks..

this is more confusing for me.. haha, so, whats the rule of thumb for finding this 'true' HDR10 TV with all this different marketing jargon ?

10 bit colour and WGC ?

Basically if it has 10 bit and it says it has hdr, you should be good. There's two standards of hdr though. HDR10 which is found in xbox s and PS4Pro, and Dolby. I would recommend finding a tv that has both so you won't be screwed in the future :p. Like the tv I mentioned above.

https://www.vizio.com/tvs/pseries/p50c1.html

harz-marz

I agree about the whole HDR thing being a total mess and confusion. I am thinking of getting the Samsung KS8000 ahead of getting a PS4 Pro on release. I am assuming this TV is full HDR and suitable? Is there anything HDR-wise that it lacks?

CyberChulo

I agree about the whole HDR thing being a total mess and confusion. I am thinking of getting the Samsung KS8000 ahead of getting a PS4 Pro on release. I am assuming this TV is full HDR and suitable? Is there anything HDR-wise that it lacks?

It's the HD-DVD vs BluRay battle again. Except this time it's a "quieter" battle. But since 40+ million PS4's will be activated for HDR 10, it's only a matter of time before the war is won.

EvB

Look at the KS9500 that is Samsung's top of the range 2016 set, and allegedly has a low input lag

EvB

No, it does the important things, it's 10-but and gets to over 1100nits for brightness.

CyberChulo

All you guys thinking of picking up Samsung tv's. Make sure you do your research on the panel and not just on price. Most are edge lit panels and you are most likely going to have screen uniformity issues such as banding. Just putting in my two cents.

eecec23b2e1347f25af88b27443e73456cec961af5f0989fb9b8202ed2040f1b.jpg

Nephtis

This is what I have:

Samsung 4K 65&#8243; UN65JU7500 17ms Excellent Check Amazon
Samsung 4K 78&#8243; UN78JU7500 20ms Excellent Check Amazon
Samsung 4K 55&#8243; UN55JU7500 20ms Excellent Check Amazon

It's curved, and it's a fantastic display. Especially after you get it professionally calibrated. Mmmmm. Sweeet, sweet display. It's equally amazing on my PC, consoles, and regular TV.

mossypne

I'm tempted to pick up the PS4 Pro but don't have a 4k TV, however i don't really have a lot to spend on one. In the region of around £600. Is there anything anyone can recommend or am i better waiting for now.

EvB

well damn, thanks..

this is more confusing for me.. haha, so, whats the rule of thumb for finding this 'true' HDR10 TV with all this different marketing jargon ?

10 bit colour and WGC ?

Get one wth the UHD Premium logo.
Then you are as safe as you can get

Mr_Moogle

God it shits me that the B6 OLED has over 50ms input lag. It's the only one even close to my price range.

I would probably by a KS8000 if I was in the market for a TV right now. 20ms lag is fantastic. Pretty much anything 30ms or below is pretty decent.

spwolf

Not sure what you mean by 4:4:4...can you elaborate? I have a Titan X, but you can still get great 4K performance from a 1080, as long as you aren't a stickler about having the highest settings at 4K for some games. I always want to optimize to 60fps at 4K and it feels great playing at that frame rate. The game mode for the TV doesn't actually go to "game mode" when it detects a PC connected, so it still keeps the same great IQ and low 23ms input lag. It just hard-locks to a 60htz refresh rate and I can still use the dynamic mode and HDR and dynamic contrast adjust (I keep everything else off as far as post processing). This TV is awesome with a PC hooked up at 4K.

dude, first of all, it is great that you are super happy with your TV. Thats the important part.

Then, your TV does not have 23ms input lag in 4K and non game mode.... you are just not playing games where input lag matters or simply are not noticing it. I personally am not sensitive to input lag so my large but cheap Samsung 58" works fine despite input lag likely being 50ms.

If you are using dynamic mode and 4K, you are likely closer or above 100ms. Your TV was tested at 113ms lag outside the game mode, at 1080p. It is going to be worse at 4K (they tested +30ms in 4K game mode).

Outside Game Mode Show Help : 113.5 ms

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

Samsungs are infamous for having good game mode input lag but terrible input lag outside the game mode, with game mode picture looking "bad" since everything is turned off.

boyshine

This is what I have:

It's curved, and it's a fantastic display. Especially after you get it professionally calibrated. Mmmmm. Sweeet, sweet display. It's equally amazing on my PC, consoles, and regular TV.

JU7500 does not have HDR, or QD and it's edge-lit. Do not recommend that screen to anyone buying a 4K TV in 2016.

Mr_Moogle

Haha I have two of them a 55 and a 40 I'm on the edge of buying a 4K tv but man it's going to be hard to give up these beauts as the super low input lag and amazing picture will be hard to beat,

I wish I had gotten a 40 inch one of these for my bedroom.

I do have the Sony 60W600B in my living room which is decent for gaming but still not as quick as the 900A.

boyshine

I'd still just be cautious dropping cash right now, I think I read that some HDR sets actually disable HDR in game mode.

Most TVs do that, HDR in movie mode only. That's why HDR+gaming is a problem if you care about input lag.

But as I understand, Samsung is fixing this through a firmware update (already out?), at least for the KS-series.

I'd rather not go with "seems" "feels" "I'm really sensitive to input lag"

Many of those people came forward with their ROTTR XBO expertise, claiming it to be fine when it wasn't.

We need testing with game mode and HDR mode on every review needs to explicitly state what the input lag is using HDR mode.

Seems the best way is to see the set outside of game mode like the Visio P series

DF say KS7000 has 112ms of lag outside of game mode, are the other KS models that different that everyone is recommending?

Trouble is DF go on to say the DX750 is great but only claim responsive controls, seems you can only test 1080p game mode and assume if the set allows HDR in game mode you'll be okay, sort of and have to use their experience, which could mean the set has any number for lag until the reviewer perceives it? 2160p and HDR within game mode is going to add more but we don't really know.

In another review "The LG UH850V offers up 48ms of latency in cinema mode, which should provide a fairly responsive gaming experience when using HDR."

Assumptions are just not good enough for me, sorry.

Just to get this right, the Samsung UN55KS8000 is the equivalent of the Samsung UE55KS7000 here in Europe, right? While our 8000 are 9000 in the US and our 9000 ar 9500 in the US?

iMax

Most TVs do that, HDR in movie mode only. That's why HDR+gaming is a problem if you care about input lag.

But as I understand, Samsung is fixing this through a firmware update (already out?), at least for the KS-series.

The KS line has never been restricted in this way.

Just to get this right, the Samsung UN55KS8000 is the equivalent of the Samsung UE55KS7000 here in Europe, right? While our 8000 are 9000 in the US and our 9000 ar 9500 in the US?

yes

Correct.

The KS8000 in PC mode has around 45ms input lag and can do full RGB 4:4:4 with 8bit colour. To switch to 10bit colour for the PC games that support HDR, you have to drop to Chroma 4:2:0 in your GPU's control panel.

In game mode it has ~25ms input lag and again will display at Chroma 4:2:0. The setting that game consoles and UHD players etc use.

On PC I have both profiles set up, and I switch between them depending on whether I am playing a game or just doing general PC use.

Overall it's a great TV to accompany a PC.

VS the OLED's. As a quick statement, I would say with the Sammy KS you are getting 80% of the TV for 50% of the price. The picture quality is still fantastic and the input lag is better.

I can highly recommend the KS line for anyone looking for a 4K HDR TV.

spannicus

Saw a guy on Craigslist selling brand new 65 inch KS8000 for 1500.00. The thing is how do i know its an OEM panel and not some other shit?

jeffc919

Samsung KS8000

/thread

I'd agree once we get confirmation what the input lag is in 4k with HDR. If it is still 22.6ms or in the ballpark then the question is whether to get this since it is the best option available or wait until next year when there is hopefully something comparable with full array local dimming.

gamz

God it shits me that the B6 OLED has over 50ms input lag. It's the only one even close to my price range.

I would probably by a KS8000 if I was in the market for a TV right now. 20ms lag is fantastic. Pretty much anything 30ms or below is pretty decent.

Could you even tell the difference between 50 and 20?

Any reason to throw down a chunk of cash on a 4K set right now when the set you end up buying will probably be outdated and vastly surpassed by better (and cheaper) sets in a couple of years?

Synless

I'm just going to wait. I have a 4K tv without HDR and I'm ok with that because I got it cheap. The input lag vs price vs quality is too mixed right now for me to want to commit to any set. Though I am eyeing that OLED 65 4K I keep walking by at Best Buy.

gcubed

Thanks. The KS8000 seems to be mentioned more than any other set, my mind is almost made up!

I have the 65", it's an awesome TV that you can find for a decent price on sale. I also have the JS8500 and while it doesnt have the brightness for "proper" hdr it's still a beautiful set.

Samsung has been hitting it out of the park with their upper mid TVs lately. They just need more FALD sets

Top Bottom