• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dark Soul 3 confirmed real by leaked promo art - Early 2016

UrbanRats

That is some accusation. Chalice dungeons for me are just places to try out your combat which are equally important to me as the environment in main areas. CD is more like a playground to try different weapons in and fight crazy stuff, though more interesting areas only come at latter depths i admit. Making the aesthetic of the Nightmare frontier a random tile set for something Randomly generated with a sky box to boot would be a challenge for even the biggest AAA studios.

It's exactly the random (not that random, anyway) aspect that's detrimental.

Boring room after boring room, with enemies dropped in, and often even copy pasted bosses.
Then you even have shit like the Defiled Chalice, which is textbook definition of "cheap artificial difficulty", something the Souls games prouded themselves not to fall into.
I don't care about the difficulty in and out of itself, in Souls games, i care about the intricate and unique level design, i care about the deep lore and interesting bosses, not just content for the sake of content.
The difficulty is a tool to push you to be creative and try new things, to explore and feel uneasy, not just a checkbox, like they started selling with DkS1 PC, and their "prepare to die" bullshit campaign.
It's a mean to and end, not the end itself.

And i criticized Dark Souls 2, for having too much content, but not enough polish on the individual pieces, and although the main storyline in BB is pretty great and polished, the Chalices feel exactly like that to me, padded content.

I would've much rather preferred a singular, well designed level, called "Tomb of the Gods", with some of the unique bosses we see in the Chalice, but designed as a normal level, with the nice complex level design, instead of having to see the same room 50 times, and open a majestic golden chest, to receive "Blood Ritual (3)".

Full disclosure: I also can't stand "randomly generated Rogue Likes" like, say, Rogue Legacy.

NEO0MJ

Boring room after boring room, with enemies dropped in, and often even copy pasted bosses.

I just had to laugh when I saw the first boss of the lower pethmurian chalice. It was a copy paste of the second boss in pethmurian chalice, which was just three copy pasted normal enemy found in the dungeons, though one of them wielded a shotgun to appear unique.

Then you even have shit like the Defiled Chalice, which is textbook definition of "cheap artificial difficulty", something the Souls games prouded themselves not to fall into.
I don't care about the difficulty in and out of itself, in Souls games, i care about the intricate and unique level design, i care about the deep lore and interesting bosses, not just content for the sake of content.
The difficulty is a tool to push you to be creative and try new things, to explore and feel uneasy, not just a checkbox, like they started selling with DkS1 PC, and their "prepare to die" bullshit campaign.

And i criticized Dark Souls 2, for having too much content, but not enough polish on the individual pieces, and although the main storyline in BB is pretty great and polished, the Chalices feel exactly like that to me, padded content.

I would've much rather preferred a singular, well designed level, called "Tomb of the Gods", with some of the unique bosses we see in the Chalice, but designed as a normal level, with the nice complex level design, instead of having to see the same room 50 times, and open a majestic golden chest, to receive "Blood Ritual (3)".

Full disclosure: I also can't stand "randomly generated Rogue Likes" like, say, Rogue Legacy.

I want to just say one thing:

Cursed chalice dungeons lowers your HP, but also lowers the damage you recieve, except for elemental damage. The actual dungeon itself is NOT that hard because of this fact, but their bosses can be that deadly for that very reason, but terribly exciting also.

WatchDawg is my favorite boss fight of the whole series.

Gbraga

Are you my lost twin?

Preach.

My man.

Novocaine

I adore games like Rogue Legacy and I couldn't agree with you more. That kind of level design just doesn't feel like it belongs in a game like Bloodborne. It's completely counter-intuitive to the game.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

Ugh, that may well have been the worst part of the entire mess that was the Chalice Dungeons.

PirateKing

Ugh, that may well have been the worst part of the entire mess that was the Chalice Dungeons.

Yep. Optional rooms was even worse than the actual dungeons themselves. They really should've placed some Lost or whatever variation of the weapons in those.

Jobbs

Banned
Iand open a majestic golden chest, to receive "Blood Ritual (3)".

I don't necessarily hate generated dungeons, but boy did the lack of anything fun or exciting in the treasure chests turn me the fuck off. It was a problem with the game in general, in fact, not just the chalices.

convo

Summarized people want hand crafted stuff and want story context for enemies and bosses. I am too far gone into the pure combat portion of the game where the CD seemed like fast food to me. Of course BB doesn't have the loot or upgrade mechanics that could sustain it like the Tower of Mirages in Dragon's Crown . Drilling away at boring time sinks is something i do,even if they're lack luster , but the average souls games enthusiast is stricken by grief when presented with something mundane. The feedback should be big enough for them to enhance the game in such directions,

doofy102

I disliked the Chalice dungeons at first, but warmed up to them on my second playthrough. They feel pretty pointless on your first playthrough when there are much better, new, unexplored levels to pioneer, but once you're familiar with them the Chalice dungeons offer the only fresh layouts in the game.

Padding-souls is still souls, I guess.

convo

If they actually had the Chalice bosses as some non-optional story boss in the main game, a larger percentage of people would still not have beaten the game. I have nothing against improved dungeons if they felt like showering us in loot like diablo but that is never happening it's not quite the mold the souls game are fit for at least for most people here.
I could go for a labyrinth with more story though, with secret shit at nearly every corner and maybe some npcs as well.

Ferr986

And what do you guys think about the bell system compared to the sign system?

I feel there's some cons and pros with both.

For example, as a helper I like that with the bell system, I just want to ring the bell and the game will pair me with the host whenever he is. He doesn't need to see and interact with my sign. I like that and it seems that it makes finding co-op faster.

On the other side, it sucks that you can't stop the bell to keep finding people. And also, the PvP bell, forcing you to 2vs1 in a lot of cases, but thats another thing.

PirateKing

What if the DLC were additional Chalice Dungeons?
notlikethis.gif
On the other side, it sucks that you can't stop the bell to keep finding people.

Am I reading this right? Use Silencing Blank?

How about an actual secret city beneath the dungeons? Would still have to beat the final chalice boss to get there though lolololol

After all, the stone has come in use after killing the final boss in the Chalice missions no? ;)

And what do you guys think about the bell system compared to the sign system?

I feel there's some cons and pros with both.

For example, as a helper I like that with the bell system, I just want to ring the bell and the game will pair me with the host whenever he is. He doesn't need to see and interact with my sign. I like that and it seems that it makes finding co-op faster.

On the other side, it sucks that you can't stop the bell to keep finding people. And also, the PvP bell, forcing you to 2vs1 in a lot of cases, but thats another thing.

huh?

There's an item that does that.

As you said, the worst is the inherent case that in invasions it would naturally involves 2vs1 situations, since in most areas only when there's co-op there's invasions.

I think a compromise between both systems would be the best.

The Short Ritual Root Chalice is garbage, and it takes forever to find a coop partner.

My friend and I tries to connect for like 20 minutes and apparently it's a known issue.

Really hope they step up the connectivity in ds3.

Ferr986

notlikethis.gif

Am I reading this right? Use Silencing Blank?

;)

huh?

There's an item that does that.

OMG. almost 200 hours in Bloodborne and I didnt know Silencing Blank also served to stop the bell for finding people.... I though it was only for dismiss helpers.

565.jpg

Top Bottom