• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dark Soul 3 confirmed real by leaked promo art - Early 2016

hiryu

How does everyone feel about having the soul vessel return for respecs?

I probably used nearly 40 on one character and since I min max most of my time in Darksouls 1 was rushing characters to the pvp meta everytime I wanted to make a new build. I really hope it stays.

I hope respeccing is not supported but if it is I hope it's only 1 a play-through. I like the idea of having multiple characters to have different builds. I also hope they bring back the openness of Dark Souls 1. I don't want artificial things in my way. If I can make it to the bottom of the catacombs to get a scythe at the beginning of the game I want the game to allow it.

Parmenide

The original Dark Souls has a far better atmosphere and as for lore the original game easily takes the cake for me. As for the rest? Covenants, character builds, variety of weapons, armours and shields, more interesting and meaningful NPC's, more reasons to play NG+ and last of all (this is going to depend on each player) I prefer the higher difficulty.

As good as BB was and as much as I enjoyed my playthrough I pretty much went through the entire game simply tow handing the shit out of everything with my hunters axe. The only enemy that gave me a problem was those weird squid faced bastards who latched on to you. I couldn't poise lock them consistently.
A lot of the things you listed really ads little to formula, like Covenants, some of them were literally useless (Way of White, Princess Guard, Way of Blue) and some were just obtuse and tedious (Bortherhood of Blood, Rat servants). The shield was cool for the first 100hrs but then it started getting stale and repetitive, not to mention that greatshields really are easy mode. I also don't get this "variety of weapons/builds", tons of weapons shared the same movesets and magic builds were just boring, I was surprised that FROM didn't get rid of them for good in BB, they add nothing to gameplay and only serves to make the game a cake-walk (I took the Drak Lurker down in less than 10 seconds with Sunlight Spear). My only complain for BB is the lack of an interesting NG+ otherwise it's just a far better game in every regard.

Kinsella

Banned
The original Dark Souls has a far better atmosphere and as for lore the original game easily takes the cake for me. As for the rest? Covenants, character builds, variety of weapons, armours and shields, more interesting and meaningful NPC's, more reasons to play NG+ and last of all (this is going to depend on each player) I prefer the higher difficulty.

As good as BB was and as much as I enjoyed my playthrough I pretty much went through the entire game simply tow handing the shit out of everything with my hunters axe. The only enemy that gave me a problem was those weird squid faced bastards who latched on to you. I couldn't poise lock them consistently.

I also enjoyed my BB play through, but unlike the past Souls games, when it was over, I was done with BB. Chalice Dungeons didn't add any longevity to the game for me because I found them to be incredibly boring. I enjoy the speed of combat in BB, but the difficulty left a lot to be desired. 99 percent of the fights in the game ended up being the same exact thing. I really hope DS3 is a return to the form of DS1, which is easily still the best of these games so far imo.

Reebot

Bloodborne has a purity of vision unlike the Souls games, much tighter and more focused. I love it, but its not the right direction for all Souls-like releases, and re-expanding the RPG elements helps Dark Souls have its own identity.

A lot of the things you listed really ads little to formula, like Covenants, some of them were literally useless (Way of White, Princess Guard, Way of Blue) and some were just obtuse and tedious (Bortherhood of Blood, Rat servants). The shield was cool for the first 100hrs but then it started getting stale and repetitive, not to mention that greatshields really are easy mode. I also don't get this "variety of weapons/builds", tons of weapons shared the same movesets and magic builds were just boring, I was surprised that FROM didn't get rid of them for good in BB, they add nothing to gameplay and only serves to make the game a cake-walk (I took the Drak Lurker down in less than 10 seconds with Sunlight Spear). My only complain for BB is the lack of an interesting NG+ otherwise it's just a far better game in every regard.

The Rat covenant is great. Actually both it and the Bell covenant are really neat ways to encourage pvp. With the increased summons allowed by SotFS, it made for some really intense melees with 4 or 5 people running around fighting one another.

Many of the weapons in BB share the same moveset too. The difference is at least with DS you can choose to spec your movesets to be complimented by various magic types or go pure physical or focus on specific types of elemental damages to give you advantages in specific fights and then you can go dual wield or shield or two hand everything. And then you need to consider what armor you're wearing and how much encumberance you have... go quick and nimble or slow and durable? BB's two supplemental mechanics are guns which outside of the canon serve as just complimentary parry mechanics or arcane which is just underbaked in every way imaginable. And there are no meaningful armor choices and how you choose to use a weapon is limited to its trick variations. There's just not a whole lot of choices in how to play.

Also magic is actually very balanced in DkS2, more than it's ever been before in the series. Certain enemies are very resilient to magic and there are fights where it's difficult to get off spells easily. Drakes are vulnerable to Sunlight Spear so you killed it very quickly. Grats! Specing in a way that makes some fights easier (while enemies resistant to lightning will give you a harder time) is a good reward for trying out different builds. Also Sunlight Spear has been nerfed fairly severely so you probably wouldn't be able to do that still.

Parmenide

The Rat covenant is great. Actually both it and the Bell covenant are really neat ways to encourage pvp. With the increased summons allowed by SotFS, it made for some really intense melees with 4 or 5 people running around fighting one another.

Many of the weapons in BB share the same moveset too. The difference is at least with DS you can choose to spec your movesets to be complimented by various magic types or go pure physical or focus on specific types of elemental damages to give you advantages in specific fights and then you can go dual wield or shield or two hand everything. BB's two supplemental mechanics are guns which outside of the canon serve as just complimentary parry mechanics or arcane which is just underbaked in every way imaginable.

Also magic is actually very balanced in DkS2, more than it's ever been before in the series. Certain enemies are very resilient to magic and there are fights where it's difficult to get off spells easily. Drakes are vulnerable to Sunlight Spear so you killed it very quickly. Grats! Specing in a way that makes some fights easier (while enemies resistant to lightning will give you a harder time) is a good reward for trying out different builds. Also Sunlight Spear has been nerfed fairly severely so you probably wouldn't be able to do that still.
There're two weapons who shares only some moves with other two weapons, which is a huge step forwards compared to the other games. And sorry but I must call bullshit about magic being balanced in DkS2, I made a pure INT build with the starting dagger being the only aviable melee, also unable to use a shield and I breezed through the game with the only exeption of the Shaded Woods and only becuase I couldn't use a proper melee. I'm not talking about magic in PvP because I think I don't need to.

Gbraga

Whatever they do, I hope they don't bring back some form of Chalice Dungeon to DkS3. That shit can stay in Bloodborne.

That shit shouldn't stay anywhere. If there's a Bloodborne 2, please forget about that garbage.

I wonder if the resources and time spent making chalice dungeons could have been used to make Byrgenwerth a complete location instead of the half-area we got.

ShogunX

You are dismissing covenants because some of them were useless? It's just as easy to say a few of them weren't useless and added a lot to the game. You weren't required to join any of the useless or tedious covenants so to dismiss the entire concept because of them seems frivolous at best. If you found the combat to be stale because of the use of the shield then why not simply change your build or character to not rely on one? Magic builds are boring? I'm sure many magic users would disagree.

Some people prefer the fast fluid combat of Bloodborne, others don't and enjoy the slower paced more RPG heavy experience. I fall in to the latter category.

Many of the weapons in BB share the same moveset too. The difference is at least with DS you can choose to spec your movesets to be complimented by various magic types or go pure physical or focus on specific types of elemental damages to give you advantages in specific fights and then you can go dual wield or shield or two hand everything. And then you need to consider what armor you're wearing and how much encumberance you have... go quick and nimble or slow and durable? BB's two supplemental mechanics are guns which outside of the canon serve as just complimentary parry mechanics or arcane which is just underbaked in every way imaginable. And there are no meaningful armor choices and how you choose to use a weapon is limited to its trick variations. There's just not a whole lot of choices in how to play.

That's bullshit, specially end game and DLC magic is basically useless. You are forced to go either pure melee or mix, pure magic is nerfed to death.

And not "many" BB weapons share the same moveset, some moves yes, for example Kirk and ludgig sword shares non-transformed moves, but transformed moveset is basically entirelly different.

The problem with covenants has always been the amount of them - the ideas are often good, but there's too many to be utilised properly.

If they just streamlined it to invaders, co-op helpers (who can also be pulled in when randoms are invaded) and maybe one more for some other reason/reward/task. That's enough. The area-specific covenants in DS2 were fun and made for quick/easy (if repetitive) pvp, but even that could be absorbed in to the main invader covenant.

Also what's the atractive of the rat covenant? Making a subpar designed area even more annoying with flocks of enemies and traps and another player cheesing you from safety?

I never understood the point, I ended going offline in those areas...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually replayed Dark Souls yesterday, on PS3 sadly (because my friend wanted to coop and he's on PS3).

Funny, I saw a bunch of weird hitboxes there too, and a couple of cheap moments (such as getting killed on wake-up after being knocked down - and being knocked down to begin with despite having 65 poise). The character I was using was a mid-roller (above 25% equip burden but below 50%) and it felt felt quite sluggish compared to Dark Souls 2. So much, that I had to adjust my equipment a bit and use Havel's Ring to reach <25% for the fast roll because it was otherwise just painfully slow (had to sacrifice poise though). And honestly, it felt quite limiting to only have two ring slots and somewhat annoying to have to heal your phantom cooperators with Estus.

We were playing the DLC. Royal Woods and a bit of Oolacile before I turned in for the night. The bosses are great, but the first area is a bit... bland? It's essentially a reskin of Darkroot Garden environment-wise, and exploration only rewards a blue slab (which I didn't need), Proud Knight Souls and a crappy armour set (oh and a single Elizabeth mushroom).

It was still fun, of course. Fighting the golems and traversing the sprawling woods was still kind of exciting. But compared to the DLC areas of Dark Souls II, it's quite... lukewarm? Fortunately I don't let that kind of nitpicking ruin my enjoyment and declare that Royal Woods is shit-tier reskin cash-grab DLC and surely Miyazaki wasn't involved, he must have been pulled from the staff to work on Bloodborne because yadda-yadda haters gonna hate. ;)

Thanks for saving me the typing. Great rebuttal, agree with everything.

That's bullshit, specially end game and DLC magic is basically useless. You are forced to go either pure melee or mix, pure magic is nerfed to death.
Absolutely not true. My hexer still tore through the DLCs.

And not "many" BB weapons share the same moveset, some moves yes, for example Kirk and ludgig sword shares non-transformed moves, but transformed moveset is basically entirelly different.
Non-transformed threaded cane has the same straight sword moveset too. Saw spear is not that different from saw cleaver.

Also what's the atractive of the rat covenant? Making a subpar designed area even more annoying with flocks of enemies and traps and another player cheesing you from safety?
Some people enjoyed the "trolling" aspect of it. I never joined the covenant but I found it funny and entertaining whenever I was pulled into a rat bro's world. I rarely won, because the odds are stacked against me, but when I did it felt very satisfying.

I never understood the point, I ended going offline in those areas...
lol k

Parmenide

You are dismissing covenants because some of them were useless? It's just as easy to say a few of them weren't useless and added a lot to the game. You weren't required to join any of the useless or tedious covenants so to dismiss the entire concept because of them seems frivolous at best. If you found the combat to be stale because of the use of the shield then why not simply change your build or character to not rely on one? Magic builds are boring? I'm sure many magic users would disagree.

Some people prefer the fast fluid combat of Bloodborne, others don't and enjoy the slower paced more RPG heavy experience. I fall in to the latter category.

Covenants were just re-skinned PvP with rewards, what do they had so much to the formula?
Also after getting bored with the shield I never used it again seriously, that's why I think the games don't need it anymore.
And sure you can prefer the old combat, it's just that I don't get it, after BB I can't watch the other games without my eyes bleeding, especially DaS2.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
For some reason the earlier screens left me worried. I know is early, but the locations dosn't seem as detailed as BB. The initial BB trailer looked better.

I believe all the heavy work on graphics and details are left for last. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems logical to me.
After all the gameplay and mechanics are done.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't bring back some form of Chalice Dungeon to DkS3. That shit can stay in Bloodborne.

I want a new Covenant that basically combines aspects of the Chalice Dungeons and the Rat Covenant. But the most important thing is that the dungeon isn't randomly generated, rather you design it using different templates. Players are unwittingly pulled into your dungeon and the more you level up in the covenant, the harder you can make your dungeon. If people clear your dungeon, they get an awesome reward that scales with the dungeon's difficulty. If your dungeon defeats them, you get the reward!

ShogunX

Covenants were just re-skinned PvP with rewards, what do they had so much to the formula?
Also after getting bored with the shield I never used it again seriously, that's why I think the games don't need it anymore.
And sure you can prefer the old combat, it's just that I don't get it, after BB I can't watch the other games without my eyes bleeding, especially DaS2.

They turn Anor Londo in to the best area of the entire series. gets a little crazier still if you turn the whole place dark :)

Oh and from your earlier post -

Anybody who breezed through the Fume Knight solo with a magic build has my respect. Unless you didn't play the DLC?

Ferr986

Chalice Dungeon can stay if they work a lot more with it. Something less random and more akin to, say, PSO 1. Actual dungeon level design with some randomness here and there, but not full out random layour consisting on tiny rooms.

Foffy

Banned
Chalice Dungeon can stay if they work a lot more with it. Something less random and more akin to, say, PSO 1. Actual dungeon level design with some randomness here and there, but not full out random layour consisting on tiny rooms.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the dungeons that aren't Root Dungeons are pregenerated, yes? They kind of fall into the problem a randomized dungeon would fall into: copy/paste, lazy designs.

The Chalice Dungeons only saving grace is it hosts unique bosses, but it easily loses its welcome when so many of them repeat. If something were to return for Dark Souls III, I would hope it'd be greatly expanded. I'd like to see a take on the original King's Field; set it in an underground cemetery and allow it to feel like a labyrinth, not a tiered copy and paste affair.

We were playing the DLC. Royal Woods and a bit of Oolacile before I turned in for the night. The bosses are great, but the first area is a bit... bland? It's essentially a reskin of Darkroot Garden environment-wise, and exploration only rewards a blue slab (which I didn't need), Proud Knight Souls and a crappy armour set (oh and a single Elizabeth mushroom).

Isn't Royal Wood essentially an older Darkroot Garden? Or do you mean that Royal Wood could have had more variety, despite being the same area in a different time period?

Non-transformed threaded cane has the same straight sword moveset too. Saw spear is not that different from saw cleaver.

No it doesn't - the cane only shares its R2 with the swords, and even that is quicker and doesn't have as much forward movement. The only weapons that share movesets are non-transformed Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear and Kirkhammer/Ludwig's.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anybody who breezed through the Fume Knight solo with a magic build has my respect. Unless you didn't play the DLC?
I beat him more easily with my sorceress in NG+, than I did with my pure melee in NG... not that I "breezed", since there was always constant danger, but yeah.

Isn't Royal Wood essentially an older Darkroot Garden? Or do you mean that Royal Wood could have had more variety, despite being the same area in a different time period?
Yes to both. I mean I'm sure you could find some lore reason for Smelter v2, but I really don't care about that. ;)

Imru&#8217; al-Qays;167230041 said:
No it doesn't - the cane only shares its R2 with the swords, and even that is quicker and doesn't have as much forward movement. The only weapons that share movesets are non-transformed Saw Cleaver/Saw Spear and Kirkhammer/Ludwig's.
Hmm I haven't played with the cane in a while, but I could have sworn its untransformed moveset was just a standard straight sword moveset. It might be slightly different but not significantly so, of that I'm 100% certain.

An as I said, that's not the full moveset, transformed moveset is like half of a moveset of any BB weapon.

Some people enjoyed the "trolling" aspect of it. I never joined the covenant but I found it funny and entertaining whenever I was pulled into a rat bro's world. I rarely won, because the odds are stacked against me, but when I did it felt very satisfying.

lol k

I mean, after experiencing it a couple of times I just ended going offline, is not fun because the odds are basically every aspect of the shitty level design decisions the team made with DkS (swarm of enemies)

Also, I had to go melee for Fume Knight, I was doing like 300 dmg with my hexer and those stupid balls. My shitty melee buffed weapon was doing 300+ damage with more rapid swings and less stamina consumption.

And I had dark damage maxed. It's so fun having some of your spells stopping doing dmg, because "lol you're not suposed to do more than X dmg!"

Ferr986

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the dungeons that aren't Root Dungeons are pregenerated, yes? They kind of fall into the problem a randomized dungeon would fall into: copy/paste, lazy designs.

The Chalice Dungeons only saving grace is it hosts unique bosses, but it easily loses its welcome when so many of them repeat.

Non-root dungeons are fixed layout, but that doesn't mean they actually gave a shit making the layout. I guess they used the same algorimth that the root (random dungeons) used to construct the layout and then fix it.

Thats what I mean, PSO1 had 3/4 layout variations for each dungeon everytime you enter, but all of them were really well done. It's not always new but I think people would be more okay with them.

Also, the dungeons segmented into 3 gates was also a problem. Gave the sense of tiny dungeon with no really exploration. Make them an actual single stage with more maze like design and traps.

Chalice dungeon is just that aspect of a game that just need more thought. Give it a more interesting random generation, different backgrounds and locations for the layouts and you'll have a killer feature.

silva1991

Chalice dungeon is just that aspect of a game that just need more thought. Give it a more interesting random generation, different backgrounds and locations for the layouts and you'll have a killer feature.

As much as I love BB and I consider it easily better than DS2 and Demon Souls the dungeons needs to die. instead of designing the dungeons they can easily make a new well crafted area or too.

Hmm I haven't played with the cane in a while, but I could have sworn its untransformed moveset was just a standard straight sword moveset. It might be slightly different but not significantly so, of that I'm 100% certain.

Cane has quick horizontal swings, the straight swords have a four-hit combo with two horizontal swings followed by a vertical slash and a thrust. The dashing R1s are different as well - straight swords have a very wide horizontal swipe that the cane lacks.

As much as I love BB and I consider it easily better than DS2 and Demon Souls the dungeons needs to die. instead of designing the dungeons they can easily make a new well crafted area or too.
I always thought it should have just been a secret area you unlock under the city.

I really dislike the dungeons. Just feels like filler and I have no desire to complete any of them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I felt that way about the Chalice dungeons at first, too. Because I was overlevelled for them. Once I got into depths 4 and 5, it was a different story. Some very tense and scary moments, and the hardest bosses of the game are in the Chalice dungeons, so they're absolutely worth doing.

I don't think even the concept of Chalice dungeons is good. Randomized template layouts is completely antithetical to the Souls experience which is all about exploration and discovery. There's nothing they can really do to the idea that promotes that experience.

UrbanRats

That shit shouldn't stay anywhere. If there's a Bloodborne 2, please forget about that garbage.

I wonder if the resources and time spent making chalice dungeons could have been used to make Byrgenwerth a complete location instead of the half-area we got.

Subscribed.
Chalice Dungeon is everything that's good about the Souls games, out the window.

So much for the A team/B team bullshit, lol.

If they were in Dark Souls 2, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

I agree that stuff like Chalice Dungeons is unnecessary. Really a drag having to do them over again for each character I want to PVP with. Spend that dev time somewhere else on the main game. For example, more than 3 covenants, a few more weapons, or online that works day 1.

Subscribed.
Chalice Dungeon is everything that's good about the Souls games, out the window.

Frigid outkirts is 100x worse, because they tried to pass that as a proper area. Even (most) chalice dungeons has proper enemy encounter unlike that.

It's better than Demons Souls in just about every way. Being the second best of 3 isn't some huge mark of shame and a devastating critique of the developers. Dark Souls 2 threads seem filled with people who compare it to DS1 but forget that Miyazaki also make Demons Souls. DS2 took inspiration from both, and plenty of things that DS2 gets criticized for are things that were in Demons Souls.

Dark Souls 2 better than Demon's Souls in just about every way? Preposterous. Demon's Souls is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Every location and every line of dialog is perfect.

Sure, it has some fiddly mechanics - grass, item burden, nonsensical weapon upgrade system. But it was the first game in the series, it's churlish to nitpick it for that. Dark Souls 2's mechanical issues are just as severe and the result of unforced errors committed while tinkering with an established formula.

UrbanRats

Frigid outkirts is 100x worse, because they tried to pass that as a proper area. Even (most) chalice dungeons has proper enemy encounter unlike that.

Nah, at least Frigid Ouskirts feels more like a weird experiment, and it's a one off (very optional and minor) thing in a DLC.
The Chalice directly affects the whole game, with a lot of loot being locked behind it (all decent gmes, basically), and a lot of main game loot being useless trinkets aimed at unlocking the next Chalice nonsense.

The worst thing ever in a Souls game, after Soul Memory, as far as I am concerned.

convo

Subscribed.

That is some accusation. Chalice dungeons for me are just places to try out your combat which are equally important to me as the environment in main areas. CD is more like a playground to try different weapons in and fight crazy stuff, though more interesting areas only come at latter depths i admit. Making the aesthetic of the Nightmare frontier a random tile set for something Randomly generated with a sky box to boot would be a challenge for even the biggest AAA studios.

Nah, at least Frigid Ouskirts feels more like a weird experiment, and it's a one off (very optional and minor) thing in a DLC.
The Chalice directly affects the whole game, with a lot of loot being locked behind it (all decent gmes, basically), and a lot of main game loot being useless trinkets aimed at unlocking the next Chalice nonsense.

The worst thing ever in a Souls game, after Soul Memory, as far as I am concerned.

Meh, you find decent gems in the main (end) game, only 4 or 5 chalice dungeons has better gems. Unless you really want go full PVP is not really necessary go through that (but you also miss very cool bosses, so I guess there's that). I don't see how chalice dungeons being also 100% optional affects the whole game.

I see them also as a weird experiment, and I think it didn't worked that well, but I find redeeming aspects in them, unlike Frigid Outkirts, which is the worst designed area in a souls game yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I actually both hate and love the Frigid Outskirts. It's scary as shit and quite intense, but also very annoying. Having a weapon with high DPS and staggering/poise-breaking power helps a lot, though. After dying there at least once on every single playthrough (coop or solo), I solo'ed the Outskirts + boss with my Company of Champion character without dying once with a red iron twinblade. Felt quite satisfying.

Guess I'll have to make sure I'm done with Fallout 4 by then. As long as I can summon and play in party with my bros, then I'm good.

Praise the sun. Praise it.

Gbraga

Subscribed.

Absolutely agree with you there.

The fact that there were interesting chalice-exclusive bosses just makes it even worse to me, tbh.

And don't get me started on the best gems being there, having to go through all that crap every new PVP character you make is so much fun! yaaay

I hope the DLC comes with the most bullshit gems of every type. It's shitty to hide the best gems behind a paywall, but at least it'll be actually good content that I'll have to play in order to make my PVP characters.

I liked the idea and thought it worked rather well, it was just difficult if you didn't know what you were doing, but the visual cues were simple enough for most.

Is not about getting lost on it, (seriously, is not even that hard, you just have to wait for the storm to stop, look for a building in the distance and run to it, I got that the first time I entered). Is about having endless spawns of a very annoying type of an enemy, because the whole concept of the area is so simple that they couldn't come up with something better as a challenge or actual level design on it.

The fact you had to do the whole thing again and again for every boss try, make it worst.

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
So any news on the rumor about Miyazaki? Early 2016 makes it sound like this is B-team.

I mean I´ll buy it, it will still be a good game but not as good and well designed.

Gbraga

So any news on the rumor about Miyazaki? Early 2016 makes it sound like this is B-team.

I mean I´ll buy it, it will still be a good game but not as good and well designed.

Since the rumor about Miyazaki being involved dates from back when we didn't have any more details or screenshots, I'd say it's still up.

Top Bottom