• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dark Soul 3 confirmed real by leaked promo art - Early 2016

martino

I've never thought of Souls games as being pure RPGs. It is fun to try out different builds, but it's not the primary draw.

Thankfully not everybody only scratch the surface.
But my point is there are valid and quantifiable examples to explain why you can prefer DS2 over BB.

Different =/= Better
Even more when it rely on subjective perceptions like fun.
In the end there is always somebody to find fun in what is shit for you.

Edit: And i'm not saying BB is shit. it's good. But i prefer DS design choices over BB ones.

I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed that this turned out to be true. I was hoping for more Bloodborne.
Whelp, picking up a shield again is going to be interesting.

Aesnath

Hot god--with the amount of time it takes me to complete these games (only really have a few hours each weekend)--I may never play a non-FROM game if they keep this release schedule up.

Camwi

It's really relaxing, isn't it? You have people concerned whether it will be like DS1, or like DS2, or exactly how many hours some guy will send working on it, but you can just not give a shit.

Exactly!

arnold-arm-wrestle-o.gif

GRIP

I have to admit I'm kinda disappointed that this turned out to be true. I was hoping for more Bloodborne.
Whelp, picking up a shield again is going to be interesting.

Bloodborne hasn't even been out for 3 months and you were expecting another one in early 2016?

DS2 is a great game, especially SOTFS. While the overall design of the game world isnt as good as DS it doesnt mean it isnt a good game. Combat is leagues better than DS.

Heartfyre

A "bad" Souls game is still good enough to get a bunch of GOTY nominations. Don't conflate it with some of the legitimately bad games released over the last year.

Still, I hesitate to call any Souls game an RPG. It has a lot of RPG game mechanics, but it's an action game at heart. Just because you put points into vitality doesn't mean it's an RPG, necessarily.

Still love these games. Sword-and-board for life.

How does everyone feel about having the soul vessel return for respecs?

I probably used nearly 40 on one character and since I min max most of my time in Darksouls 1 was rushing characters to the pvp meta everytime I wanted to make a new build. I really hope it stays.

Man, I'm glad I'm not one of the people who hates Dark Souls 2. I fucking loved it as much as the other two Souls games. Can't wait for 3!

Agreed, I kinda played them backwards though so maybe that helps. I beat Bloodborne then went back and played 2 since it was on the PS4 as well. Almost done with the first game now and I loved both so I am stoked.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

This is dumb. Just read any of the dozens of positive reviews (or existing posts in this thread or any other Souls thread) if you actually want to hear arguments in its favor. You're the dissenter, the burden of explanation is on you.

For the record, I thought DS2 exhibited some real weaknesses that were absent from its predecessor, but it still entertained me for over 60 hours, so by that measure it's still better than almost every other game from the last decade.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There's something like 40-50 people in BB credits that also worked on Dark Souls 2.

Do you happen to know how big those respective teams are? What kind of percentage is 40-50 people of the overall team I wonder.

Parsnip

Do you happen to know how big those respective teams are? What kind of percentage is 40-50 people of the overall team I wonder.

Of the core BB team (not counting sales, publishing, localization etc) I think it's like a 25-35% or so. This is just based on a quick glance at the credits on mobygames, so take that as you will. There was also a lot of art outsourcing on both games, so the actual head count gets even muddier.

elhav

I would love it if DS3 would take the best from both DS games. I mean, DS2 certainly had some problems, but DS1 also had issues. If FROM can make these problems dissappear, then it can give us the best from both worlds

Assuming I'll ever come back or the games maintain their quality on this schedule.

This is getting to Assassin's Creed level.

The games have been good thus far so I see no reason to complain about getting really really good games from them at a frequent clip. Its not like they are mass produced, mass appeal, design by committee games like Assassin's Creed.

Vaporak

It was a great game doomed to stand next to two of the greatest games ever made.

It's better than Demons Souls in just about every way. Being the second best of 3 isn't some huge mark of shame and a devastating critique of the developers. Dark Souls 2 threads seem filled with people who compare it to DS1 but forget that Miyazaki also make Demons Souls. DS2 took inspiration from both, and plenty of things that DS2 gets criticized for are things that were in Demons Souls.

Foffy

Banned

Are you comparing this to the Souls series, or games in general? Your how would only make any sort of sense to the former. Dark Souls II, despite any flaw you can make of it, was surely one of the best games of the last generation. You can argue this generation too thanks to the re-release, as I would consider that the definitive edition of the game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
You guys realize that From doesn't publish these games right? And that BB and DS are paid for (and hit different) companies' bottom lines?

From takes the best jobs they are offered.
They are gaining a lot of global respect, and money. This thread reads like a lot of people want them to start turning down deals haha.

Yuterald

Just wanted to throw in my two cents on the developer/team worship nonsense. All this Miyazaki praise and "team" bashing/critiquing is beyond tiring/old. People gotta stop wearing people/shit on their sleeves. I completely understand respecting/enjoying someone's work, but when it gets to the point where these threads seem to go, it becomes misguided and borderline sad. I've had my dev-worship days (with Capcom at their peak and even to some extent with Platinum), but I look back on those days and just shake my head and laugh.

From/Miyazaki are not infallible (the second half of Dark Souls is garbage, I'm sorry). I've been playing their games since their King's Field days on the original Playstation and they've always sort have been a "B/C-team" developer. As much as I enjoy the Souls titles (including Bloodborne), they're not flawless and each games has its pros/cons. I feel like while From's scope has evolved/changed, their quality level (in particular areas) has not. They're rather incompetent developers (programmers, especially), but with really fucking cool ideas for dark games.

After Bloodborne going back to Souls is a step backwards imo.

Well, it certainly is a lot different. I went from having quick battles against the likes of Ebrietas, Pthumerian Descendant and the Abhorrent Beast to movement that is slow as molasses in Dark Souls II. The difference is jarring.

Kazuhira

How does everyone feel about having the soul vessel return for respecs?

I probably used nearly 40 on one character and since I min max most of my time in Darksouls 1 was rushing characters to the pvp meta everytime I wanted to make a new build. I really hope it stays.

I really don´t like it but since it´s totally optional,i don´t care if it stays.
For some reason,the freedom to respec my build killed my interest in creating new characters and i kind of like to deal with the consequence of my mistake,if i was stupid enough to put 5 points into resistance then i deserve to be kicked in the ass for wasting those levels(yeah,i´m crazy lol)
Objectively,the mechanic is awesome in every way (you can experiment different classes without the need to start the game again,rebalance your build if you think you wasted points in a certain stat etc etc) but against any logic,i don´t like it at all haha.
To sum it up,yeah i´m pretty sure soul vessels will return.

While Dark Souls combat isn't quite as active as Bloodborne's, it's a fallacy that the game requires playing slow behind a shield. After getting through BB, I was inspired to go back to DkS2 (SotFS) and build a lightly armored dual ultra-greatsword build and it felt great. Very quick movement followed up by devastatingly powerful swings. It was every bit as viable as a weapon + shield build or a magic focused build and felt extremely similar to Bloodborne with relying on invincibility frames to roll through enemy attacks and then strike.

I'm interested to see how they plan to expand upon dual-wield mechanics in DkS3 given the jump from 1 to 2 in that regard.

Foffy

Banned
I don't get it,how can they make a full fledged Dark Souls game on a new system in ~2 years?

They have a track record of putting out consistent dark fantasy games since the company's inception, back in 1994.

I imagine the updated engine with all of the bells and whistles for Bloodborne is being used here. Either that or they're using the Dark Souls II engine, pre-downgradegate.

All I ask is the quality of the product not be botched. Please, no bullshit bosses like the Ancient Dragon and the Gank Squad which break the traditional formula on what makes bosses good.

ShogunX

For example? Bloodborne has better atmosphere and a far more interesting lore, and these three things makes "souls-like" games for me.

The original Dark Souls has a far better atmosphere and as for lore the original game easily takes the cake for me. As for the rest? Covenants, character builds, variety of weapons, armours and shields, more interesting and meaningful NPC's, more reasons to play NG+ and last of all (this is going to depend on each player) I prefer the higher difficulty.

As good as BB was and as much as I enjoyed my playthrough I pretty much went through the entire game simply tow handing the shit out of everything with my hunters axe. The only enemy that gave me a problem was those weird squid faced bastards who latched on to you. I couldn't poise lock them consistently.

While Dark Souls combat isn't quite as active as Bloodborne's, it's a fallacy that the game requires playing slow behind a shield. After getting through BB, I was inspired to go back to DkS2 (SotFS) and build a lightly armored dual ultra-greatsword build and it felt great. Very quick movement followed up by devastatingly powerful swings. It was every bit as viable as a weapon + shield build or a magic focused build and felt extremely similar to Bloodborne with relying on invincibility frames to roll through enemy attacks and then strike.

I'm interested to see how they plan to expand upon dual-wield mechanics in DkS3 given the jump from 1 to 2 in that regard.

I don't care by dual-wield mechanics, all these feel obsolete after playing BB.

I'm more interested how they gonna bring all the superior combat mechanics in BB to DkS.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I've just got to the Unseen Village yesterday for the first time. Graphics blew me away.
DS3 will look amazing.

Top Bottom