• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac on lack of Sunset Overdrive 2: Ask Microsoft, may continue w/o them one day

Chrisdk

I don't think anyone would criticise MS for funding a sequel to a highly-rated cult hit. It's more their quick abandonment of games that aren't mega-successes before falling back and relying again on their core franchises.

Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2. All sequels to games that are not mega-successes. It's not like MS have officially declared Sunset Overdrive dead, but it makes sense that it's not on top of Microsoft list of games with all the other sequels coming. We also know that a sequel to Alan Wake is in the works and that ReCore will probably be back.

Sunset Overdrive can still happen, it's not like the IP is that old.

Chris1

*Owns the publishing rights for it. I suspect that will be for 5 years. Similar publishing deal they had on Mass Effect as that came to PS3 in late 2012; five years after its Xbox 360 release.
Lol ms funded the development of So1. They own the game. It will never expire and will never make it on any other platform

You seriously think ms is going to fund a game then let it go multiplatform and not make a penny off it after X years? Come on. If it was that easy to scam these big companies you'd be seeing it more often
Seems port begging is allowed for this game.

Honestly they gave it away with GWG and I'm sure they have looked at the numbers of people who downloaded and played it before tabling it for now.
Not just this game, any xbox game

Drek

Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2. All sequels to games that are not mega-successes. It's not like MS have officially declared Sunset Overdrive dead, but it makes sense that it's not on top of Microsoft list of games with all the other sequels coming. We also know that a sequel to Alan Wake is in the works and that ReCore will probably be back.

Your post is a great encapsulation of the problem here.

Halo Wars 2 - The first was a well rated and fairly solid (>1M copies) sales spin off of a flagship franchise. After it's release they closed Ensemble, one of the best RTS studios in the industry. The sequel was outsourced to Creative Assembly and by most accounts is a pretty solid game, but after taking a ~7 year break between 1 and 2, and not even willing to fund an internal studio for the sequel, it's hard to see MS as real committed to continuing HW.

Crackdown 3 - took so long to greenlight #2 despite massive cult success on the X360 that the studio had signed another deal (to make Brink). So 2 was made by a mostly unrelated studio and it showed. Now they roll it out again with yet a third team (though having a few people from the first apparently) years later. Way to develop that IP.

State of Decay 2 - The first was a low cost XBLA risk that found far more success than they'd expected. Stepping up for 2 is a good move, they definitely deserve some credit there.

Also, how do we know that a sequel to Alan Wake is in the works? All the interviews before Quantum Break talked about how they scrapped AW2 while putting some of the concepts into American Nightmare because MS wanted something new. Even if they do move forward with it, how in the world was it a good strategy to shelf the IP for this wander in the wilderness period?

This is a big part of the problem here. Hell, MS brought back Killer Instinct and now Phantom Dust. They view anything outside the big three as nothing more than a lure to the hardcore gamer they need to throw out periodically, not something worth building up.

That makes the future of SO especially uncertain because Insomniac isn't waiting around for MS and it's Insomniac's IP. Eventually MS' rights of refusal expire and Insomniac can do whatever they want.

Sitting on IPs for nearly a decade between iterations is not servicing those IPs well. Sony had Insomniac push out three Resistance games and had Bend make a PSP game on the franchise all within the PS3's lifespan in an attempt to built the IP, though without success. They did the same with Uncharted to great success, seeing a huge breakthrough in sales with the sequels. Same with transitioning Sucker Punch from Sly to Infamous.

But that's because Sony maintains a non-trivial stable of internal studios working on new things. MS has their Forza, Gears, Halo studios and then looks to contract out everything else. An odd software development strategy for the world's largest software company if they're truly interested in video games production, but their strategy all the same.

highrider

Banned
I wasn't really enamored of the game tbh. The humor wasn't funny, and the gameplay felt forced. Traversal was solid, but it didn't work as a shooter. I felt like I could only bounce around and get radical lol.

Okay, fair enough (although State of Decay was a big hit for a digital game - I recall it doing over 1 million sales within its first year). Also, do we know that Alan Wake is coming back?! Didn't Remedy and MS part ways altogether? And do you have a link for Recore coming back? I hadn't heard that.

Lol ms funded the development of So1. They own the game. It will never expire and will never make it on any other platform

You seriously think ms is going to fund a game then let it go multiplatform and not make a penny off it after X years? Come on. If it was that easy to scam these big companies you'd be seeing it more often

I think MS was the publisher for Sunset Overdrive but doesn't own the IP or the copyright. They probably own the publishing rights which means that Insomniac cannot publish the game elsewhere without MS or MS's say-so, and I recall Ted Price talking about bringing it to other platforms a couple of times so I assume that deal has an expiry date.

Here's the small print on SO from its own website:

"Sunset Overdrive and the Sunset Overdrive logo are trademarks of Insomniac Games Inc. INSOMNIAC and the INSOMNIAC GAMES symbol are the registered trademarks of Insomniac Games Inc. All rights reserved."

For comparison the small print on the PS store for Ratchet & Clank reads:

"Ratchet & Clank™ ©2002-2016 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by Insomniac Games. “Ratchet & Clank” is a trademark or a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved."

And Fuse is this:

"FUSE™ is the trademark and INSOMNIAC® and the Insomniac FULL MOON Logo® are the registered trademarks of Insomniac Games, Inc. Copyright © 2013, Insomniac Games, Inc. All rights reserved. EA and the EA logo are trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc."

Chris1

Yes sunset owns the ip. I'm not arguing that. But ms owns the first game in the sense that it's going nowhere unless ms wants it to.

To the bold.. Link? I highly doubt that. Unless he was talking about pc which we know insomniac want(ed?) To do. Maybe they were hopeful with Ms pc initiative.

Edit in 2015:
Sunset Overdrive was published by Microsoft. We partnered with Microsoft because they shared our vision of the game and were willing to let us retain the IP. Being independent, we get to choose the right partners for each project.

However, because it is published by Microsoft, it is exclusive to the Xbox One. This is similar to how our Sony published games (Ratchet and Resistance) are exclusive to PlayStation.

We have no plans to bring Sunset Overdrive to any other platform (meaning PC/PS4/etc)
I mean they just compared sunset 1 to Ratchet which will never make it to xbox, that says all you need to know.

Yes sunset owns the ip. I'm not arguing that. But ms owns the first game in the sense that it's going nowhere unless ms wants it to.

To the bold.. Link? I highly doubt that. Unless he was talking about pc which we know insomniac want(ed?) To do. Maybe they were hopeful with Ms pc initiative.

That's not owning the game, that's owning the publishing rights.

I'll have to concede this as I can't find anything to back it up. I'm sure I remember him saying something like they owned the IP so they could do what they wanted with it (specifically a few months after it launched to obviously not-terrific success), but can't find a link now.

Chris1

That's not owning the game, that's owning the publishing rights.
Well same thing really. Trigger was saying owning publisher rights = they expire after a length of time. That's not going to happen here. As I edited above they compared so1 to Ratchet and Clank which is a Sony owned ip so..

There's a difference between publishing games like titan fall sunset and ryse and publishing tomb raider etc.
I'll have to concede this as I can't find anything to back it up. I'm sure I remember him saying something like they owned the IP so they could do what they wanted with it (specifically a few months after it launched to obviously not-terrific success), but can't find a link now.
Ok I remember that.

They can do anything with the ip. They can't do anything with so1 game. Nothing is stopping them from funding so2 or making a movie or whatever.

Like I said man there's absolutely no way ms fully funds a game then allows it to go multiplat after X years and not see a penny from those sales. The only way it'll go on ps4 or pc is if ms wants to release it there, not as a result of expiring contracts. If it was that easy to scam publishers we'd be seeing it more often. Instead the only example is me1 and Im not even sure if ms funded that or if it was just a moneyhat

...Whatever. At the end of the day we don't know the deal the two companies have in place, or whether the publishing agreement is indefinite or has an expiry date.

Well same thing really. Trigger was saying owning publisher rights = they expire after a length of time. That's not going to happen here. As I edited above they compared so1 to Ratchet and Clank which is a Sony owned ip so..

There's a difference between publishing games like titan fall sunset and ryse and publishing tomb raider etc.

No it isn't the same thing. All Microsoft owns is control over where it's released, Insomniac owns the actual game itself (assets, design, etc). Whether those publishing rights expire or not will depend entirely on the contract Insomniac signed with Microsoft, but I do agree that they probably won't (unless someone buys those rights off Microsoft, like EA did with Mass Effect 1). I think you're reading a bit too much into that R&C comparison though.

On the bold bit: EA published Titanfall. It's more like Dead Rising 3 (or Street Fighter V on Sony's end) than any of the other games you mentioned..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This game is so awesome it feels like we get a lttp thread on it or an outright sequel beg thread weekly. MS take fucking note already.

Chris1

No it isn't the same thing. All Microsoft owns is control over where it's released, Insomniac owns the actual game itself (assets, design, etc). Whether those publishing rights expire or not will depend entirely on the contract Insomniac signed with Microsoft, but I do agree that they probably won't (unless someone buys those rights off Microsoft, like EA did with Mass Effect 1). I think you're reading a bit too much into that R&C comparison though.

On the bold bit: EA published Titanfall. It's more like Dead Rising 3 (or Street Fighter V on Sony's end) than any of the other games you mentioned..

Yea you're right, dunno why I said MS published Titanfall but it's EA, I just meant there's a difference between publishing a game like Tomb Raider where a moneyhat is involved and publishing like DR3 or Ryse where MS actually funded development fully. MS published all of them including TR, but the only ones that haven't left MS platforms is the ones where MS funded the actual development of the game, and SO is one of them so it's pretty much never going to leave Xbox since they don't seem to be interested in porting it to PC

Not the game's fault so much as the game came out when the XB1 had a negative stench and was overpriced.

It is sort of like InFamous: Second Son(Without the IP recognition of course) of a game that came out too soon in the console's cycle and may not have sold as well because of such.

Ordinarily launching early in a consoles life cycle is beneficial. I don't think it would have performed much better later down the line. They could always release a complete edition or something like that if they had confidence it would perform better, now.

Infamous Second Son benefited from its early launch. It's the best selling Infamous title, despite arguably being the worst.

With that said I do think that their game would sell better on multiple platforms. People like Insomniac's games on the Playstation platform, but they don't have much of a reputation elsewhere.

Top Bottom