• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS4K a threat to PC gaming?

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

lol the PS4K is not even a threat to my rig I built 3 years ago.

rauelius

Well, twice as powerful as the PS4 is still 1/8th as powerful as my PC. I'll still get the PS4S for 1st party games and games that I have that get patched to run better.

rauelius

LMAO, by the time PS4K comes out, Pascal and Polaris (newest Nvidia/AMD gpu architectures) will be out and already receiving their refreshes... and we'll be talking what's just around the corner from them... multiple times more powerful than what's out today... which is already multiple times more powerful than what will be in PS4K...lol

Pretty sure the PS4K is gonna be using an APU version of Zen+Polaris.

Frozone

Well, twice as powerful as the PS4 is still 1/8th as powerful as my PC. I'll still get the PS4S for 1st party games and games that I have that get patched to run better.

Really? So 1.84 * 2 = 3.68TFLOPS for PS4K. And that's 1/8th of your PC? When did Nvidia/ATI sell a ~30TFLOPS graphics card? Quad SLI?

Maxey

Really? So 1.84 * 2 = 3.68TFLOPS for PS4K. And that's 1/8th of your PC? When did Nvidia/ATI sell a ~30TFLOPS graphics card? Quad SLI?

Math always seems to get all fuzzy and warped when it comes to quantfying the raw power of the PS4.

It wont even be twice as powerful as the original ps4 too, for that price range people are dreaming if they think they will be getting a 4k gaming experience, its hard enough as it is now running games at 1080p on consoles.

I think the ps4k will mainly be about 4k video than anything.

Obviously it's a massive threat.

The main attraction of PC gaming is the superior graphics. That will be less of an attraction now.

This is pretty much guaranteed to hurt pc gaming.

belmonkey

I feel like if anything, the idea of upgrading for better performance would make pc gaming seem more attractive since there's even more options available.

Also, by the time the ps4k comes out, there might be another cheap 750 ti-esque card that competes with it anyway, meaning pc gaming at a console level wouldn't be a difficult option either.

This is bad news for PC gaming. Unless you are there for the few PC exclusives this makes PC gaming close to pointless for many people.

No one has given a reason why this obvious thing won't happen.

Maxey

This is bad news for PC gaming. Unless you are there for the few PC exclusives this makes PC gaming close to pointless for many people.

Good job assuming PC gamers only chose PC over consoles because of the graphics.

Or that all they do on PC is play games.

If anything it is a threat to console gaming and emboldens PC gaming. If consoles become iterative with hardware upgrades every three years you are essentially just upgrading a PC shaped as a console at that point, except your console "PC" is a walled off garden with shittier specs, more expensive games, requires that online multiplayer be paid for and you can't upgrade components without voiding your warranty. Just save your money at that point and buy or build a gaming PC.

dmr87

As someone who's into high end PC gaming I welcome shorter console cycles, I'm used to upgrading hardware. I would still want a console for the exclusive titles.

Yarbskoo

Why would it? The games still play the same way, no new mods or options. The processing power will just be slightly less outdated, and you have to replace your entire system.

Also won`t the the current ps4 owners be pissed if the ps4k turns out to be a more powerful system gaming wise? That`s one of the reasons I think that this 4K thing is just a video output thing. If however the new ps4 improves gaming then I think this will piss a lot of people [current ps4 owners], just 3 years and now they are forced to buy a new system.

Man Im glad I waited, thank you Naughty Dog I was waiting for Uncharted 4, now I might as well wait for this new PS4.

Yarbskoo

When I upgrade my PC, I get visual/performance upgrades for 95% of the entire library. Can you say the same for PS4>PS4K upgrades?

dippa

Neo Member
PS4.5/4K isn't going to do squat against PCs running at 4K/60fps courtesy of asynchronous GPUs (few years down the road, but the Ashes of the Singularity DX12 tests with dual AMD/NVIDIA setups are promising) and the 14nm/16nm generation.

AmFreak

This explains all the people i saw, no matter the site/board, who said they will just switch to pc gaming if the upgrade thing is happening.

Nzyme32

The main attraction of PC gaming is the superior graphics. That will be less of an attraction now.

No.

• Freedom to build to what every spec / price range suits you. Upgrade / rebuild however and when ever you want
  • Freedom to prioritise the performance and IQ of the game over graphics
  • Freedom to modify games to work better, have more features, modes, total conversion etc
  • Freedom of choice of peripherals
  • Entire genres of games that don't exist anywhere else
  • Even more games that don't exist anywhere else or develop entirely differently to console counterparts thanks to experimentation and evolution of the platform through its open nature. Even more games that don't exist anywhere else due to back / forward compatibility
  • Perpetuity for practically all games, software, peripherals etc (yes I've mentioned games so many times, because there is so much more of them, and amazing ones at that)
  • Multiple store solutions, business models, game mechanics and paradigms not possible anywhere else or developed and honed on PC thanks to the open nature of the platform and competition.
  • Cheaper games.
  • No online fees / no subscription required
  • Mouse + Keyboard + Steam Controller
  • mITX small form factor amongst all manner of other form factors

All of these are ahead of graphics for me.

Aiustis

No.

• Freedom to build to what every spec / price range suits you. Upgrade / rebuild however and when ever you want
  • Freedom to modify games to work better, have more features, modes, total conversion etc
  • Even more games that don't exist anywhere else or develop entirely differently to console counterparts thanks to experimentation and evolution of the platform through its open nature. Even more games that don't exist anywhere else due to back / forward compatibility
  • Perpetuity for practically all games, software, peripherals etc (yes I've mentioned games so many times, because there is so much more of them, and amazing ones at that)
  • Multiple store solutions, business models, game mechanics and paradigms not possible anywhere else or developed and honed on PC thanks to the open nature of the platform and competition.
  • Cheaper games.

Beautiful. I play games on low settings and have an old graphics card, and this is why I'm a PC gamer (outside of handheld)

I had been literally about to get a gaming PC after not having one for many years. But this definitely changes things.

PS4k sounds like it should be awesome and with plenty of power for 1080p gaming.

You asked in the PC build thread if an old ass used PC (560ti) was a good deal and I told you it wasn't. That's pretty weak for an attempt to get a gaming PC. The rest of your comments are not even worth a discussion as you obviously know nothing of PC gaming but here you are declaring it's doom. :D

No.

• Cheaper games.
  • mITX small form factor amongst all manner of other form factors

But all those things are true today already, so not relevant in any way. You're missing the point, which is, what changes with PS4k?

Well, the PS family will have some of that flexibility and options that you just evangelized. So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing? Seems like you are contradicting yourself.

Seems like you just proved, if any change is going to happen, it will be PS4K impeding on PC space, by adopting some of those amazing advantages you are talking about. And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
But all those things are true today already. You're missing the point, which is, what changes with PS4k?

Well, the PS family will have some of that flexibility and options that you just evangalized. So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing?

Seems like you just proved, if any chance is going to happen, it will be PS4K impeding on PC space, by adopting some of those amazing advantages you are talking about. And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true. A graphical equalizer is a huge deal.

What advantages are they adopting?
I see none of those which are true for PS4K

It literally gets none of them. Incidentally, there is no graphical equalizer with a new GPU, a release in 2017 will already see progress in PC hardware.

Also 2x the ps4 APU would be more like a 280x, and at this day that's a one gen old mid-range card from AMD.

diaspora

But all those things are true today already. You're missing the point, which is, what changes with PS4k?

Well, the PS family will have some of that flexibility and options that you just evangalized. So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing?

Seems like you just proved, if any chance is going to happen, it will be PS4K impeding on PC space, by adopting some of those amazing advantages you are talking about. And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true. A graphical equalizer is a huge deal.

It literally gets none of them. Incidentally, there is no graphical equalizer with a new GPU, a release in 2017 will already see progress in PC hardware.

Anno

But all those things are true today already, so not relevant in any way. You're missing the point, which is, what changes with PS4k?

Well, the PS family will have some of that flexibility and options that you just evangelized. So if having more flexibility and options is such a coveted thing, how is PS getting it a bad thing? Seems like you are contradicting yourself.

Seems like you just proved, if any change is going to happen, it will be PS4K impeding on PC space, by adopting some of those amazing advantages you are talking about. And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true.

I assume you're trolling, but really, which of these advantages are being adopted? It looks like the same closed, optionless platform it is now.

Nzyme32

Beautiful. I play games on low settings and have an old graphics card, and this is why I'm a PC gamer (outside of handheld)

I'm literally using a 4 year old laptop that was mid-range back when I bought it. Lately I played MGSV, Talos Principle, Alien Isolation, GTA V and a bunch of others without issue, and not to mention all the PC focused games that scale all the way back to still support this machine. Of course it can't run everything, but there are so many amazing games to play till I can complete the new PC, at which point my options open up nicely. Heck, I recently went through Mafia 1. Not only does that stuff still work, it still feels amazing to play through and rediscover old classics again

Mudcrab

And most obviously, how can you guys keep insanely ignoring the blatantly obvious fact people are attracted to PC gaming due to aging console hardware? Seems bizarre you guys just pretend this isn't true.

The only bizarre thing here is you telling us why people play on a PC when you know nothing about it. Let me tell you, aging console hardware is not why I play Crusader Kings 2.

Is optimus trolling? I genuinely cannot tell

ehh you're probably right.

PSqueak

Banned
The exact opposite actually. PC has never looked more attractive.

Pretty much, if consoles adopt this iphone styled iteration bullshit, PC gaming becomes more attractive, because then it's just one big monetary push then little cheap upgrades rather than paying yearly for full price consoles with a new hat.

BlackHeron

Neo Member
Obviously no (and I am shocked anybody would think the opposite).

We are talking about a new version of the PS4 that is superior (but not by that much) than the base one.

A non upgradable console will never compete with a PC, and that is because the COMPLETELY different nature they both present.

PC Gamers do not play on PC just because of "slighty superior graphics", but many other reasons (and freedom is a huge one).

If a new PS4 comes out, some console players will surely upgrade, but do not expect a guy with an high end PC to even care.

And this comes from a guy that owns a PS4 and a super PC, and play both every single day.

I am suprised this is even a thread, and that anybody thinks that a guy that owns a PC would give it up for a slighty better version of a console in the middle of a console gen.

Top Bottom