• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Jon's defense mechanism for being stomped on is to laugh and go "oh, ok haha" in some sad attempt to make it seem like he can't even be bothered to respond and correct the record.

JonTron is absolutely disgusting. I used to like him at least in passing during the GameGrumps days, but that was of course before his extreme hateful views bubbled to the surface.

It infuriates and saddens me that people like JonTron have a platform from which to influence young, impressionable minds with vile agendas of hate.

I just want to believe that the good influences in our society amount to a net positive over the bad ones, but with the current US administration lowering the bar for civility and ethics and the emboldening of the bigoted, hateful far right, it's hard to stay hopeful.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The fact that JonTron is at least getting backlash on popular sites like reddit gives me some small scrap of hope, though, that maybe there might be a real movement towards disallowing this sort of bigotry so casually.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Calling someone a racist who is in a position like JonTron, may as well throw him into a lake. Let's be honest, now that he has been labeled that... A LOT of people won't be happy until his career is destroyed.
Did you not see what he said? He's a racist. Not a clever one who wraps his views in libertarian economic arguments or other deflections. The things JonTron has said... they're like KKK or Neo-Nazi level of explicitness. There's zero ambiguity in what he said.

JonTron said I'm diluting the American gene pool.

The guy should be thrown in the figurative lake.

This argument is by the way not only horrifyingly racist but also, for what it's worth, scientifically false. We should strive to breed with people of different ethnicities because it helps keep genetic diseases at bay.

He defended Pewdiepie, no problem. h3h3 hates "SJWs" and feminists. So I could see Ethan Klein defending a white nationalist, too. Because Youtubers gotta stick together, or something.

How does he hates SJW and feminists? Care to point it out? And don't bring man spreading and Hugh Mungus, please. I'm legit curious so I can drop it too.

And must of them are on welfare and most commit crime.

Something something genes something pool.

It's pretty crazy that this was almost 2 hours of Jontron saying horrible racist shit and he had the audacity to say he's not racist.
Getting more and more pissed off as I listen. Flat out insanity.

As an aside, is there a link or anything for the 2 refugees out of the 800,000 or whatever number Destiny said that were arrested? Would link something to show my dad who says all of them are bad people and I can't do a search atm.

Big One

Banned
At least Pewdiepie apologized and recognized he was in the wrong here. It was scandalous but wasn't really anything as big as this. Jontron is outright saying racist shit without even joking about it.

Teeuwen

Banned
So popular people should be exempt from criticism because it might have an effect on their careers?

Okay, I don't think you're going to listen anyway because that's completely ridiculous, but I'm going to clarify because I think it's important. People who have a wide reach or high amount of power should have a whole bunch of people watching them because they have more ability to screw things up for other people due to their position. It's their job to navigate the risk by acting responsibility and doing their jobs well. JonTron obviously is rejecting that because he's an irresponsible person.

Nope, I am not saying that criticism shouldn't be made. Calling someone a racist is not open to dialogue or debate.It shuts down conversation.

Nope, I am not saying that criticism shouldn't be made. Calling someone a racist is not open to dialogue or debate.It shuts down conversation.

Is he entitled to a conversation?

This is thst whole "being called a racist is worst than being a racist" garbage.

Stop.

He can lose the label by educating himself and coming to the table with a real apology.

WadeitOut

It only shuts down the conversation if the person doesn't have a rhyme or reason to defend himself. Because if they are just legitimately a racist, there shouldn't be further discussion. Racism is never okay.

DJMicLuv

D: "Do you know how many immigrants are responsible for crimes in America?"

JT: "LOL. AIAIAI. You are impossible!!!"

JT: "Europe is all the same."

D: 2 minute rant about how JT is wrong.

JT: "Europe is very different."

What a fucking wanker.

Bruh, people aren't calling him racist to shut down conversation. We're calling him racist causes he's making racist talking-points.

Calcaneus

Its amazing, this guy can spew his shit about immigration and how non-whites are just more criminal, but don't call him a racist you might ruin his reputation.

L Thammy

Stop trying to turn racist into an empty insult. It's a descriptive term. It's absolutely up for debate. Is the person promoting racist ideas or acting based on racial motivations? If you can demonstrate that they aren't, wow, they aren't a racist anymore.

In this case, it's "not open to dialogue or debate" because what JonTron has spouted is Nazi-ass super racism (+10 damage to nonwhites) and dialogue or debate trying to present it as anything is else is inevitably going to be disingenuous and ridiculous.

Jon is 100% racist. It's not racist tendencies, it's quite accurately Stormfront-level racism. If you are afraid of foreigners diluting your gene pool, then I'm afraid there is little debate to be had.

WadeitOut

Some of the junior posts in this thread...

yikes.gif

I came back to this thread expecting to see some lost sponsorships and denouncements from other prominent youtubers.

Is that just not happening (yet)?

Trickster

He defended Pewdiepie, no problem. h3h3 hates "SJWs" and feminists. So I could see Ethan Klein defending a white nationalist, too. Because Youtubers gotta stick together, or something.

Unless PDP said some really fucking insane shit I missed, what he did and have said is absolutely nothing next to what JonTron has been saying.

To be willing to defend JonTron is something completely different than being willing to defend PDP for his thing.

Gestault

Calling someone a racist who is in a position like JonTron, may as well throw him into a lake. Let's be honest, now that he has been labeled that... A LOT of people won't be happy until his career is destroyed.

This is a personality-based entertainer. Could you describe the problem with his audience turning away as a result of unpopular attitudes woven around his work? It's not an issue of an arbitrary label. It's about specific views that his audience potentially objects to. Attitudes about cultural and racial superiority. The artist's concern that the culturally superior group is being degraded by the presence of others. People rightfully find that disgusting.

Could you please explain why that's an unjust reaction? That's why people "want him to fail" after learning this. It's a sense of normal consequence. This isn't an unfair "scarlet letter" that comes from an uncharacteristic collection of comments made in passing from a huge backlog of social media statements. This is a multiple-hour debate where he argues the merit of those view in detail, leveraging his celebrity to actively promote them, and attempt to influence changes in law to those ends.

Dismissing a self-evident and easily substantiated point about someone's views (and most importantly, their social/legal lobbying) as merely a "label" is the most transparent of tactics.

Which video specifically? I Just Want to make sure I know which one you're referencing.

It's in the op, with some annotation, but this is the best form of the video being discussed. You're giving the appearance of being insicere, the more I look back at your interactions in the thread. If you do the thing now where you nitpick a seemingly random moment from the video to counter a point, at odds with the obvious bulk of the points and statements from the video, you'll have played into those expectations perfectly.

If this is true civilisation in the United States would have ended a hundred years ago.

But hey, let's go back to the old times! Better yet, why not marry your cousins and siblings to maintain the strong and perfect Aryan genes!

Wallach

Dude he got on Destiny's stream for a conversation so that he could rapid fire Stormfront talking points. If you think we can't call someone doing that a fucking racist who the fuck is a racist? It's like people want the label to go away while still representing every idea that brought it into existence.

I feel like this should be the official NeoGAF stance on JonTron from here on forward.

You'd think so, but there's quit a few suspect responses in this thread...

I came back to this thread expecting to see some lost sponsorships and denouncements from other prominent youtubers.

Is that just not happening (yet)?

I'm just hoping that it's a "yet"... We will see if there's any fall out from all of this.

Undubbed

I'm glad I unsubscribed from him a long time ago.

I always thought he was funny and only he could pull off the zaniness, in my opinion. But, there were always certain off-handed comments and jokes he'd make in the videos that really made me wonder if he might be racist. Just relatively subtle shit. I don't remember them, I just remember unsubscribing cause just going purely by his videos, I didn't feel comfortable continuing to watch him. I never bother with twitter or facebook or youtube comments and stuff like that, only his videos.

Honestly, not all that shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom