• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.
He defended Pewdiepie, no problem. h3h3 hates "SJWs" and feminists. So I could see Ethan Klein defending a white nationalist, too. Because Youtubers gotta stick together, or something.

I think this might be a big leap, don't forget this is also the guy who called out someone for faking a black lives matter attack.

DJMicLuv

D: *Explains why there is disproportionate amount of black crime in America*
JT: So why is it so consistent across Africa?
D:!!!??? Why Bring up Africa?
JT: LOL You're not living in reality!

Sakujou

Banned
im not sure, but this actually does nothing to do with gaming.

yes, he is a popular gaming-youtuber, but nothing related to gaming was brought into this thread.

otherwise... welp europe and the AMERICAS have to deal with this. they got rich as fuck and influenced everything over the world.

you know, people in africa and asia still believe that white people are superior and more worth.
my parents are of indian heritage, and they told me, never to touch a white kid.
after i got beat up in kindergarten, they said, still iam not allowed to touch a white person.
born and lived my whole life in europe.

i give zero fucks about religion and race, but this still makes me think, how fucked must have been the colonial powers, that the indigenous people really believe to this very day like this?

Azuran

Banned
Nope, I am not saying that criticism shouldn't be made. Calling someone a racist is not open to dialogue or debate.It shuts down conversation.

Just another junior with the typical "the left are so intolerant" garbage. But of course, what can you expect from someone who started their NeoGAF career with amazing and insightful political commentary such as this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229853792&postcount=112

Breh, just tell us how you really feel already.

I came back to this thread expecting to see some lost sponsorships and denouncements from other prominent youtubers.

Is that just not happening (yet)?

lol that's never happening because they know a large subset of their fanbase is made up of garbage people like that. The last thing these apolitical Youtubers want to do is lose what little money they make.

The only people who call out this shit like are people like Jim Sterling who are actually successful and aren't scared of losing their nazi fanbase because it wouldn't make a difference to them in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimately I think this is going to burn JonTron harder than most other Youtube personalities.

JonTron's appeal as a personality is that he's kind of childish and I don't mean that in a bad way. He was a lovable goofball who just wanted to talk about Banjo Kazooie and Star Fox and play with his pet bird. His appeal was that he seemed like a goofy guy who liked everyone. At least that is the image he was projecting in his Youtube videos. You're never going to have that image again when you come out talking about immigrants "diluting the gene pool". The Destiny debate is literally him digging his own grave for an hour. He even ends it saying "RIP my career." It's been sad to watch this thing as it plays out, but I really can't look away.

KoopaTheCasual

Sure is strange how we keep getting people in here defending him without even bothering to watch the video.
I'm so fucking tired of this shit.

I called it so hard. With the "calling someone a racist shuts down dialogue" I knew this guy didn't know what he was defending.

Clearly couldn't be assed to actually watch the debate.

D: *Explains why there is disproportionate amount of black crime in America*
JT: So why is it so consistent across Africa?
D:!!!??? Why Bring up Africa?
JT: LOL You're not living in reality!

It makes sense though, if you judge people entirely by skin color then that's all he's gonna see and compare. That's why europe is our spirtual brother and canada is unofficial America, white people. The problem with jons arguments are that.... well they are parody level simple. Well that and his entire idea is fueled by racism. That's why it's a trap to ask him about black people. Because he'll sound racist..... because he has racist views and doesn't wanna admit them.

Calcaneus

Fucking right? To some people, the absolute worst thing you can call someone is racist.
Because they so strongly refuse to acknowledge anything less than an actively violent KKK member as a racist, they are terrified and offended to be labeled as anything similar to that. Its their own blinders biting them in the ass.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure Audible will be cutting ties very soon.

Nah, this hasn't blown up publicly (apart from a few genre sites or tweets) yet, the time frame of interest for (no pun intended) mainstream media is probably almost over. I think it'll just be ignored at this point, if it doesn't appear on a major platform very soon. Guy has still way more followers than Gamegrumps as a whole, he's still raking money for whoever cares.

DJMicLuv

Just another junior with the typical "the left are so intolerant" garbage.

The question remains: Why do I have to tolerate this shit? If I'm intolerant it's for a fucking reason. Witch Hunt? This is a Cunt Hunt and I've got no problem with that. It's time to stop putting up with this shit.

yes, he is a popular gaming-youtuber, but nothing related to gaming was brought into this thread.

otherwise... welp europe and the AMERICAS have to deal with this. they got rich as fuck and influenced everything over the world.

you know, people in africa and asia still believe that white people are superior and more worth.
my parents are of indian heritage, and they told me, never to touch a white kid.
after i got beat up in kindergarten, they said, still iam not allowed to touch a white person.

i give zero fucks about religion and race, but this still makes me think, how fucked must have been the colonial powers, that the indigenous people really believe to this very day like this?
dune coons. There's no excuse for that anymore. Even Indians living in India know better than to defend colonists. The first gen immigrants have this affliction, though. its all up to you to decolonize their minds.

DJMicLuv

Well, I got 75 minutes in and I can't handle this bollock any more. "There is no discrimination in the US!". Wilfully and proudly ignorant. He deserves everything he'll hopefully get and more. Fuck this guy.

L Thammy

Unfortunately, guys like this asshole are part of gaming culture too, and they're only becoming a bigger part. They're going to spread as far as people allow them to. We should at the very least be aware of them - and what better way to become aware than by talking about it?

Gestault

Can I just point out 102:11 in the youtube version of the video, where he laments that even if social integration weren't an issue, that wouldn't address the problem of non-whites becoming part of the "gene pool."

I stopped listening last night shortly before that point. Maaaaan. Wow.

Nanashrew

Banned
Every time I see JonTron being defended by someone, it's always the same argument and trying to make the words empty and certain words like "racist" meaningless. It's very clear they spent most of their life on chan boards where they try to make words empty through nihilism. Then they are completely shocked to find that in the real world words have meaning.

EDIT: That and genuine racists defending him too.

Lilseb93

Never mind liberal this, conservative that, this is just ignorant BS. I doubt every right wing person believes this. But Jon keeps appealing only to some of his audience who thinks anything left leaning is SJW/PC/snowflake BS. Similar to Colin. While the rest of us go WTF?

Which sucks because I find his videos really entertaining.

And here I thought Jon was smarter than this.

What a let down, what a confusing emotion I have right now after watching Destiny's Twitch interview with him.

I miss the days the worst thing he did was make fun of someone for being offended at the word retarded...... actually no I take it back he was always kinda awful wasn't he.

Mahonay

Banned
Every time I see JonTron being defended by someone, it's always the same argument and trying to make the words empty and certain words like "racist" meaningless. It's very clear they spent most of their life on chan boards where they try to make words empty through nihilism. Then they are completely shocked to find that in the real world words have meaning.

EDIT: That and genuine racists defending him too.
And he's thanking them for it.

yo670mb5r4ly.png

Yeah mate, you weren't articulate, that was the problem.

Twat.
When Neo Nazis are giving you support and admiration for your actions, maybe it's time to ask "am I the baddie?"

But nah. Jon just says "thanks!".

SerTapTap

Never mind liberal this, conservative that, this is just ignorant BS. I doubt every right wing person believes this. But Jon keeps appealing only to some of his audience who thinks anything left leaning is SJW/PC/snowflake BS. Similar to Colin. While the rest of us go WTF?

Which sucks because I find his videos really entertaining.

I remember a time when "liberal" was used relating to a specific set of social and fiscal beliefs that at most half of the country believed was correct. It currently seems to be used to refer to anyone who thinks black people are not wild animals destroying the precious white master race gene pool.

...BUT DON'T CALL THEM RACIST because they think non-whites are inferior!!!!

What the fuck happened. How.

Weird how many gamers seem to be alt right scumbags when I see how progressive this forum is

Not being funny but those that aren't progressive tend to be banned.

Neogaf's population has been screened for this type of shit fairly efficiently. Be careful it doesn't give you a distorted representation of who gamers actually are. For the most part they exhibit similar variance in personality and political views as the rest of the population.

It really shows when I end up going to midnight launches and stuff. Stand in line for Call of Duty and GTA and you'll often find yourself experiencing a whole other world of gaming culture, and in my opinion and experience, not a pleasant one.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way. It doesn't seem to me that Yahtzee has said anything too crazy, rather that he's just being "edgy" or pushing buttons. It's pretty immature in my opinion but it's relieving that he's not full-blown crazy like JonTron.

That's the kind of stuff I was asking about as well. The quotes and links provided were pretty flimsy. Of course, if Yahtzee does go full-blown JonTron, I think that would be crystal clear.

Yahtzee almost always brings diversity up in the context of videogames and their design. I think one of the problems people might have with him is that his ideas assume a level playing field which is not what we're playing on. As one of the posters you quoted mentions, he often seems to follow the "truth is in the middle" fallacy which while quite flawed is at the very least well-meaning and permissive to dissenting viewpoints.

The problem with trying to argue for creative voice being heard above all things is that in our current climate not all voices are heard equally. The argument for vision being paramount works in an ideal world where there is currently no issue with equality, while as it stands we're in a climate where marginalized voices are struggling very hard to be heard. When we do have these less-represented groups currently engaged in that struggle and as part of our videogame demographic, views on diversity like the one Yahtzee proposes without ever being hateful do slow down movements towards correcting the issue. It's not a good argument because if we really were interested in creative vision above all else we should absolutely be working towards fixing the problem for the sake of making sure that meritorious ideas are heard and come to fruition regardless of the sex, color, etc. of the person with the idea.

His "hero and damsel" thing is ridiculously flawed as well, but it's quite self-evident so I won't go into it.

Basically I can see why someone would have issues with what he's saying and there are quite a few things I disagree with him on. I don't think, however, that these constitute bigoted thoughts. Yahtzee has lots of time to prove me wrong but in the meantime I don't see a reason to pull out the torches and pitchforks on him.

I'm listening to this stream after reading your opinions about it... Even though that Destiny guy just search for info on Wikipedia he manages to get the other guy angry.

"Are you trying to get me to say something racist? You want to set up a 'gotcha' moment, right?"

What's up with his persecution complex?

I have to say while I'm often alarmed or irritated by NeoGaf users' overreaction to game scores and fits of random chaos I'm really heartened to see how enlighted, empathetic, and unifying most of GAF is about social issues. Good on every enlightened and seemingly kind user on this thread.

1) JonTron doesn't know or understand the actual empirical definition of racism.

2) JonTron doesn't understand that people like David Duke and the alt-right view "half breeds" as lower than full blooded minorities. Correct me if I'm wrong but he is only half caucasian, right?

3) On a political level this was a dunderheaded viewpoint to lean in on but it is complete idiocy from a business perspective. People feeling bad that we are ruining his career they themselves don't understand capitalism.

4) His xenophobia also makes no sense in the context of gaming because the industry was founded in the eastern world and some of the best games come from countries that are more open to immigrants than America ten fold.

5) I vacillate on whether we should stop promoting this intolerant bigot Jon !JAFARI! because it is important to put a spotlight on these deplorables' crumbly misinterpretation of the intent and spirit of "America" (I think America, or the concept, is a fiction. We stole this country anything from Natives and folk of the First Nation anyway. It makes no sense). I think a counterbalance would be to promote and subscribe to Destiny because he was cogent and respectful. I liked the defense of diverisity and immigrants he put up.

6) This is a minor point but JonTron is a condescending ass and hss a weak grasp of rhetoric and debate. Every time he laughed or deflected/dismissed Destiny in a rude way I wanted to punch that smacktard. The folly of his whole argument is not hedged in white privilege but white petulance. I love white/European cultures, as rich as they, but some of the far-right maniacs are complicit in this country's divisions past and present.

It really shows when I end up going to midnight launches and stuff. Stand in line for Call of Duty and GTA and you'll often find yourself experiencing a whole other world of gaming culture, and in my opinion and experience, not a pleasant one.

Or just play a few games of competitive Overwatch at Bronze level.

Mahonay

Banned
Not being funny but those that aren't progressive tend to be banned.

Neogaf's population has been screened for this type of shit fairly efficiently. Be careful it doesn't give you a distorted representation of who gamers actually are. For the most part they exhibit similar variance in personality and political views as the rest of the population.

It's why I live exclusively in party chat and mute public chat in every online game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom