• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes August 11th

Has a build-up effect ever had any noticeable impact on console sales? Perhaps for heavily marketed games like Titanfall, but Gears Ultimate and Rare Replay aren't exactly huge titles. It even seemed like Batman didn't get its spike until the month the game actually released.
Yeah, I agree.
A game would have to be massive to have a "build up" effect...I think Halo 5 might have done that some already (people buying an xbox because they know it will have Halo), or stuff like UC4 ect. but Rare Replay, and Gears remastered will likely have no impact at all on July.

NavNucST3

Didn't post these before, because they really don't help with monthly predictions. If you just want general sales discussion fodder, though ...

...snipped...[/IMG]

Have you given any thought to putting the data on tableau or tableau public? Probably only of interest to those of us who love data visualization but just a thought.

Javin98

Banned
And again a junior member who tries to prove everyone else wrong gets banned when I wasn't around. Whelp, looks like he really was an alt. The way he questioned someone for using Amazon reminded me of Hermain Cain, really.

looking online real quick if my Mobil loads the page properly, it seems that deal is going on this month as well.

His Mobil? Interesting. I didn't realize that chain of gas stations was capable of on-the-spot internet searches.

And again a junior member who tries to prove everyone else wrong gets banned when I wasn't around. Whelp, looks like he really was an alt. The way he questioned someone for using Amazon reminded me of Hermain Cain, really.

His account must have been buried near a Micmac indian burial site. The ground there is sour.

RexNovis

Banned
Yeah, I agree.
A game would have to be massive to have a "build up" effect...I think Halo 5 might have done that some already (people buying an xbox because they know it will have Halo), or stuff like UC4 ect. but Rare Replay, and Gears remastered will likely have no impact at all on July.

Yep I think it's more about the marketing push than anything else. I'd argue titanfall sold a ton of XB1s prior to its release largely due to the unprecedented marketing push the game received. You literally could not go anywhere on the web even tangentially related to video games without seeing Titanfall ads, testimonials and preorder prompts. It was truly mind blowing and with the attach rate at release it was proven to be very very successful.

But this is all besides the point. Neither the Rare Replay collection nor the Gears remaster have anywhere near the marketing oomph to push hardware prior to release especially during a slower summer month.

That said I'm morbidly curious to watch the marketing machine for Halo 5 unfold. One would imagine it would be just as big if not bigger than the Titanfall campaign but thus far it hasn't received anywhere close to the push Titanfall received. I keep waiting for the marketing to kick into high gear but it hasn't really happened yet.

If he put that same kind of dedication to doing good for humanity, or writing a book, think of what he could achieve.

I shudder to imagine what sort of book would spring from that mind...

Dynomutt

Curious to see how the 40 inch Samsung TV and Xbox One bundle do for this month. It's back to school and could be a mover. It is only limited to Best Buy.

Blanquito

Didn't post these before, because they really don't help with monthly predictions. If you just want general sales discussion fodder, though ...

PS360vsPS4XB1_201506.png

LastGenx2vsCurrentGen_201506.png

LastGenx2vsCurrentGen_1-2_201506.png

Donny, once again great graphs and great info.

TomShoe

Banned
Yep I think it's more about the marketing push than anything else. I'd argue titanfall sold a ton of XB1s prior to its release largely due to the unprecedented marketing push the game received. You literally could not go anywhere on the web even tangentially related to video games without seeing Titanfall ads, testimonials and preorder prompts. It was truly mind blowing and with the attach rate at release it was proven to be very very successful.

That said I'm morbidly curious to watch the marketing machine for Halo 5 unfold. One would imagine it would be just as big if not bigger than the Titanfall campaign but thus far it hasn't received anywhere close to the push Titanfall received. I keep waiting for the marketing to kick into high gear but it hasn't really happened yet.

This will never stop being funny.

Ryan McCaffrey said:
This is Microsoft’s killer app. You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should. Sure, you’d have a good time with it on PC if you’ve got a capable rig, but your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it’s best enjoyed in. It likely won’t decimate Call of Duty’s market share anytime soon – particularly since it’s a platform exclusive – but once Titanfall releases this spring, I guarantee you that word will spread amongst the hardcore CoD community. “Have you seen Titanfall?” they’ll say. And little by little – or maybe in droves, who knows? – they will flock to Titanfall, and they will never go back. Not after this. Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter. Believe the hype.

Javin98

Banned
It's been a while since we saw two juniors simultaneously imploding in an NPD/sales thread.
You're never gonna let that go, are you? Must have been your first experience with two juniors having a go at each other :p. Then again, that kind of stuff doesn't happen very often and the drama in that thread was comedy gold.

You're never gonna let that go, are you? Must have been your first experience with two juniors having a go at each other :p. Then again, that kind of stuff doesn't happen very often and the drama in that thread was comedy gold.

I was still a junior back then and one of them was trying to drag me down with him. This was me after Bish banned those two juniors:

Nz2Dv6Y.png

pixelation

lol, i love how this kind of threads never fail to bring out them crazies!

Javin98

Banned
I was still a junior back then and one of them was trying to drag me down with him. This was me after Bish banned those two juniors:

Nz2Dv6Y.png
There, there, man. It's okay. The nightmares are gone now. I'm glad you're still here with us :p

lol, i love how this kind of threads never fail to bring out them crazies!
Me too. It seems like almost every month Microsoft Chad/Hermain Cain has a new account only to get banned a few posts in.

Ryan McCaffrey said:
This is Microsoft’s killer app. You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should. Sure, you’d have a good time with it on PC if you’ve got a capable rig, but your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it’s best enjoyed in. It likely won’t decimate Call of Duty’s market share anytime soon – particularly since it’s a platform exclusive – but once Titanfall releases this spring, I guarantee you that word will spread amongst the hardcore CoD community. “Have you seen Titanfall?” they’ll say. And little by little – or maybe in droves, who knows? – they will flock to Titanfall, and they will never go back. Not after this. Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter. Believe the hype.

How is that guy still employed? He is wrong more than my local weathermen (I live in Wisconsin-they can't predict the weather 3 hours from now). Wait... have we ever seen Ryan McCaffrey and Michael Pachter in the same room at the same time?

How is that guy still employed? He is wrong more than my local weathermen (I live in Wisconsin-they can't predict the weather 3 hours from now). Wait... have we ever seen Ryan McCaffrey and Michael Pachter in the same room at the same time?

He has apologized for "fan-boying out" since then and now is trying to be known as the "co-exist" gamer guy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/630493881147113472

He is an ok dude that was in charge of IGN'S Xbox team when they were in their prime, so his over enthusiasm for the brand is understandable in the context. But the editor probably should have softened it up some, even if they thought Titanfall would be the new hottness...

Rymuth

He has apologized for "fan-boying out" since then and now is trying to be known as the "co-exist" gamer guy.

He is an ok dude that was in charge of IGN'S Xbox team when they were in their prime, so his over enthusiasm for the brand is understandable in the context. But the editor probably should have softened it up some, even if they thought Titanfall would be the new hottness...
I still remember when he asked Phil if he could do the E3 conference for them.

I saw him wearing that shirt during the Xbox podcast last week. He is definitely trying to be more neutral now.

Mory Dunz

Haven't the Wii U and 3DS been hovering around ~50k and ~100k respectively for some time now?

They might be the easiest to predict out of all the consoles. Weird to see some of the high and (mostly) low numbers for those two lol

Top Bottom