• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Review Thread

PSOreo

Its a b-movie game, didn't expect glowing reviews much like the last game; its more about messing around in this world and having fun.

Blobbers

Some of the design decisions straight-up baffle me – fast travel is tied to a limited resource that you can only expand by completing challenges. Hell, you need to complete a challenge to earn the right to unlock precision aiming.

wat

Kacho

To someone who already doesnt like JC2 gameplay, that's a pretty disappointing line.

Yep.

I don't have a problem with open world games like some here do, in fact I prefer the freedom they offer. But if you're going to make an open world game nowadays please try to move past the PS2 open world blue print. A random assortment of uninteresting stuff to do just doesn't cut it these days. It needs to be more.

Karak

Just want to say, I really enjoy and value your reviews. Seems like you put a lot of thought into them.

Appreciate that Vire thanks.
Yep.

I don't have a problem with open world games like some here do, in fact I prefer the freedom they offer. But if you're going to make an open world game nowadays please try to move past the PS2 open world blue print. A random assortment of random stuff to do just doesn't cut it these days. It needs to be more.

In many ways it actually feels far more shallow than the prior titles. Its odd.

This is one of those games that can easily be improved with modding. Here's hopping it's easily moddable.

JC2 had a pretty robust modding community. There was even a multiplayer mod for the game which is now has its own official steam page.
I believe JC3 will follow the pattern.

MouldyK

But...London Buses said that NerdCubed called it the "Best Game Ever" or something...

...I know because ever fucking Bus which went by today said that on it...

Oh look, a TV Advert too:

qGjk45a.jpg

And a Twitter Quote from him:

Daniel Hardcastle ‏@DanNerdCubed 13h13 hours ago
Just Cause 3's missions vary between "This is the greatest thing ever" and "the intern made this on a Friday afternoon."

Best Game.

antitrop

Yep.

I don't have a problem with open world games like some here do, in fact I prefer the freedom they offer. But if you're going to make an open world game nowadays please try to move past the PS2 open world blue print. A random assortment of uninteresting stuff to do just doesn't cut it these days. It needs to be more.
So you have the same problem with open world games that some here do.

We Got This Covered - 3.5/5

Just Cause 3 can be a rather fun game, but it's not the sequel we were hoping for. There are some very impressive things to be found within its large-scale and explosive quest, and on its insanely large world of Medici, but technical problems and dated mechanics hold it back from living up to its potential.

Krakn3Dfx

Still excited to play, unlocking on Steam right now, only 43 minutes...I mean 3 hours and 18 minu....I mean 15 hours and 8 min...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely seems smart to get it on PC.

Trace

Banned
I was hoping Avalanche had learned from what was wrong with JC2 and had made the actual game more substantial. I wanted to like JC2, huge world with lots of freedom is good, but cut/paste content and no story isn't.

I'm excited to play this. Looks great. I'm hoping for 1440p/100fps or so on my rig. I know I'm gonna spend a lot of time just wingsuiting around. I spent so much damn time just using the superman mod in JC2. I'm excited to see what the mod community brings to the table too.

UrbanRats

I usually don't listen to reviews (not for anything other than mere curiosity anyway) because i haven't found a particular reviewer i agree with on a consistent basis, but i was interested in hearing about the technical side of things on PC, and it ain't looking too well, i gather.

Oh well, preload is done, and i certainly wouldn't have let that stop me from getting the game.
As long as it isn't Batman AK level of bad.

But...London Buses said that NerdCubed called it the "Best Game Ever" or something...

Best Game.

NerdCubed was working with Square Enix before release, literally anything he says about the game is without merit.

I enjoyed 2 but I'm already feeling open world tedium so this sounds awful for me. I think I'll send my copy back - glad I didn't open it.

Dug

Banned

Best Game.
I thought Fallout 4 was the best game ever:

c1cebd_5754159.png

Sounds like it will be well worth the £15 I paid for the PC version, just want to fly about in a wing suit somewhere that isn't pouring with rain and depressing, while also causing stuff to blow up.

Shame the consol versions are abysmal though I suspect lots of people will get this at Xmas.

Karak

Fortunately, the less important ways.

I consider funfactor the most important way.
I counter Karak. I think JC3 feels far better than JC2 did.

USgamer 4.5/5.

Biggest issue I had was the online connection problem.
LOL. I chuckled at the counter! But your sort of...countering a good deal of people, or at least more than just me lol. Counter-counter!

But as I say in the reviews. I dig it when people enjoy something they bought. Thats pretty much all that matters

Pretty much what I expected.

If it's like Just Cause 2 then it will be a great game for people who like to make their own fun, but if you prefer more structured stuff then there are far better games out there. That's the reason people like NerdCubed say it's the "best game ever" - I haven't watched his videos in years, but I recall him saying JC2 was his favorite game of all time because he loves to make his own fun and the JC games are an amazing platform for that.

NotLiquid

Sounds to me like it's JC2 done better. That's about all I could ask for from a game that was already a total riot. In terms of a creative sandbox of possibilities, JC is my go to series for fucking shit up in style.

antitrop

Not too many games out there that let you pull off the kind of shit you can do in Just Cause, though. It is not exactly trying to be AC or Batman.
It's definitely very, very reminiscent of Far Cry, at least.

Although Far Cry 3/4 were obviously taking cues from JC2.

MouldyK

NerdCubed was working with Square Enix before release, literally anything he says about the game is without merit.

I know, but i'm just bitter because while I was waiting for my bus to work today, every bus going the other way was saying that and I was like "Hmm...this is getting annoying".

I thought Fallout 4 was the best game ever:

Wow, I don't know who to trust more: Buzzfeed or Nerdcubed?

Both seem pretty credible...

Hip Hop

I enjoy this type of mission layout with the franchise for some reason. Just mindless, "capture a point here and there".

It's why they give you so many tools and other stuff to play with so you can mess around with them, a big open sandbox. If you're not into doing that, creating chaos, creating your own fun, then of course this isn't the type of game for you.

It's pretty much what I was expecting from a sequel, it looks like JC2, with more things added on top of it. I'm happy with that.

Ferrio

Banned
I was really looking forward to this game, but for some reason I had it in my mind that it was shipping with multiplayer. You think after the huge efforts by the modding community to get it into JC2 that Avalanche would of made it one of their top priorities. They didn't even have to make it the crazy 100 person server stuff either, just one or two more people to join you in random stupidity would of made the game a lot more attractive IMO.

Lulubop

Just seems like JC2 with better graphics, nothing too new or exciting. Even though I really enjoyed JC2 it did get old, so I'll be waiting for a sale on this one.

ironcreed

Banned
I fully expected a lot of middle of the road scores and a few upwards of around 8. It was never going to be some mega blockbuster, its Just Cause and those who enjoyed JC2 should know what they are getting into. The same kind of deal, but in a prettier world and with more tools to have fun with.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds exactly like the second game with better graphics and a new environment.

Just seems like JC2 with better graphics, nothing too new or exciting. Even though I really enjoyed JC2 it did get old, so I'll be waiting for a sale on this one.

Yep. Definitely not worth $59.99 to me, but I'll pick it up once it hits $30 or so.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I was actually expecting worse scores, huh.

I'd give it a 7.

Hip Hop

I was really looking forward to this game, but for some reason I had it in my mind that it was shipping with multiplayer. You think after the huge efforts by the modding community to get it into JC2 that Avalanche would of made it one of their top priorities. They didn't even have to make it the crazy 100 person server stuff either, just one or two more people to join you in random stupidity would of made the game a lot more attractive IMO.

Yeah, that was a really baffling decision from them.

To be honest, NerdCubed seems like one of the more down to earth YT guys. He at least knows the significance of been paid to attend events by publishers - and he has said he refused to do so for JC3. He might be spouting sensationalistic phrases - which is another kinda problem - but at least he seems to try and tackle this endeavor of his the correct way.

UrbanRats

I think one problem they face is that JC2 was an underdog in a way, JC3 isn't anymore.

What i mean by this, is that when people played JC2, they were playing this weird game that nobody really gave a shit about and was actually sort of unique and cool.
So a little cult following grew and JC became a bigger name.

Now JC3 has to play it straight, and expectations are as high as any regular AAA, which means they don't have that leeway luxury to fall back on, anymore.

That said, i'm still pumped as fuck for it and thankfully many of the (legitimate as they are) complaints i've read didn't really worry me too much, aside from the technical side of things.

When you reach a settlement, you have to hunt down all the destructible targets yourself, repeatedly needing to open up a separate map screen to pinpoint the remaining targets once you’ve located and eliminated enough of them. I never thought I’d see the day where I’d be longing for a radio tower to climb so I could unlock map markers, but Just Cause 3 made me do it. So much of the experience is akin to finding needles in haystacks.

For all my complaints, Just Cause 3 is not a terrible game. It’s more obsolete – yet another open world game full of nebulous busywork, boasting an antiquated structure to boot.

I'm out. Will pick it up on a Steam sale next summer when hopefully I've recovered from open world fatigue.

I consider funfactor the most important way.

LOL. I chuckled at the counter! But your sort of...countering a good deal of people, or at least more than just me lol. Counter-counter!

But as I say in the reviews. I dig it when people enjoy something they bought. Thats pretty much all that matters

Counter-counter-counter!

Yeah, it's all good. I honestly think this will be a decisive game for many. Not quite heaven or hell, but probably a wide variety of opinions depending on where you preferences lie.

ironcreed

Banned
It's definitely very, very reminiscent of Far Cry, at least.

Although Far Cry 3/4 were obviously taking cues from JC2.

It is a giant sandbox with crazy explosions, destruction and tools to pull off fun as hell stunts. Love it or hate it, it's doing it's own thing at the core and is not trying to really copy anybody. As most of the fun is totally left up to the limits of your imagination. That's what I dig about it.

Wow, that's a tough review by Jim. Eeesh.

I think Jim has burnt out on open world games. With the notable exception of Metal Gear Solid V, pretty much all of the open world games released this year he's marked down due to employing the standard open world content tactics of collectibles and side missions.

Top Bottom