• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Review Thread

Trago

Open world games are getting stale? Say it ain't so! Feels as if this games suffers the same problem that other notable open world games have, repetition. To be fair, repetitive objectives peppered throughout the game is understandable considering how ambitious this world is. Thing is, keeping the experience fresh must be a serious challenge. I guess open world game design needs to change.

Vire

He gave Dying Light a 5? The fuck? It was amazing, it shocked the shit out of me it was so good. An easy 9 for me. Mad Max was better than a 4 too, 6 would be fair.
The man gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4.5. He just doesn't give a shit, and whatever, more power to him. He likes what he likes and doesn't try and review things from an objective standpoint.

Durden77

So it's basically JC2 but on a different island + wing suit.
That's okay with me.

Not sure how people thought this was going to be a refreshing new instalment from the trailers and footage.

Me either. It's exactly what I expected, and exactly what I wanted.

I've saved my open world binge for this too. Skipped plenty this year including FO4.

He gave Dying Light a 5? The fuck? It was amazing, it shocked the shit out of me it was so good. An easy 9 for me. Mad Max was better than a 4 too, 6 would be fair.
His thoughts on Dying Light are actually similar to what he said of JC3:
Dying Light desperately tries to be all of the videogames in a bid to impress everybody.
He seemed to think it spent too much time trying to tick all the "open-world/popular game" boxes. So I don't think it's that he hates open worlds, he seems to be sick of a particular type of open world...

Sounds about right based on the footage I've seen. I wasn't the biggest fan of JC2, but I saw room for improvement in what could be a fantastic title. It's too bad this seems to be more of the same.

Looks like the game is exactly what I expected, Just Cause 2 with improvements to make it more fun and destructive. Definitely picking it up when the majority of the technical kinks are ironed out.

Scores are all over thus far. Sounds like I should wait for a patch or two.

Mad Max had the same thing happen in regard to reviews, but I found it to be highly enjoyable. I think some reviewers just have genre fatigue. Dying Light is another example of mixed critical reviews where gamers enjoyed it far more than the critics.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
His thoughts on Dying Light are actually similar to what he said of JC3:

He seemed to think it spent too much time trying to tick all the "open-world/popular game" boxes. So I don't think it's that he hates open worlds, he seems to be sick of a particular type of open world...

Well it definitely impressed me. At that time I was falling out of gaming, I hadn't enjoyed or finished anything for a long time but Dying Light changed all that. I have 80 hours into it, I've done every quest and I'm so ready for the expansion. It just did everything well and above all else it was so fun to play.

Vire

Sounds about right based on the footage I've seen. I wasn't the biggest fan of JC2, but I saw room for improvement in what could be a fantastic title. It's too bad this seems to be more of the same.
I think that's the kinda biggest dissapointment. Just Cause 2 seemed like a game that showed a studio with promise, a studio that was ready to jump to the next level kind of thing.

Here you have this amazingly fun and silly mechanic but nothing was really built upon that other than the incredibly obvious for the sequel.

Mad Max had the same thing happen in regard to reviews, but I found it to be highly enjoyable. I think some reviewers just have genre fatigue. Dying Light is another example of mixed critical reviews where gamers enjoyed it far more than the critics.

I loved Dying Light and Mad Max, but I feel both those feel better to actually play then JC3, which is a shame. Everytime I'm doing something that's amazing, something pulls me out later.

Jerf Justcausealar seemed to like it for what it is:

Because of Just Cause 3's impressive physics system, you're guaranteed to see a series of cascading explosions that'll leave you speechless. Most items in the world have breakable attributes and they all pinball around on screen with a super-satisfying sense of destruction. Combine that with the versatile set of tools available to Rico and you can imagine what's possible in the game's world.

Just Cause 3 does exactly what videogames are supposed to do: let you escape. Sure, it's a bit rough around the edges and there are a few questionable choices made in the upgrading and liberation systems, but ultimately, Just Cause 3 is just fun.

http://www.cnet.com/products/just-cause-3/

I loved Dying Light and Mad Max, but I feel both those feel better to actually play then JC3, which is a shame. Everytime I'm doing something that's amazing, something pulls me out later.

Dying Light was a good game, but it didn't turn out to be as good as I was hoping. I was perhaps a bit hard on it, but I had high expectations going in.

Mad Max...I still don't know what to think of it to be frank. It had its moments and some good content, but it was such a grind and so repetitive. There wasn't a lot to it despite its length, and you had to scavenge far too much.

Just Cause 3 is hands down better than Mad Max.

Karak

This game never looked great. Not sure why it was being hyped up so much.

Well Just Cause 2 was pretty damn enjoyable to a large number of gamers and had a good amount of fan support as well as playground availability and a large world. its not that hard to get it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is almost convincing me to go get Dying Light right now instead of JC3- I want both but it's quite cheap and I also loved Mad Max.

Karak

This is almost convincing me to go get Dying Light right now instead of JC3- I want both but it's quite cheap and I also loved Mad Max.

Dying Light is an amazingly fun game. Perfect? No. Fun as hell? Ya. And as someone who rated Mad Max a Buy on day one I think we probably see things somewhat alike in what we are looking for.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Dying Light is an amazingly fun game. Perfect? No. Fun as hell? Ya. And as someone who rated Mad Max a Buy on day one I think we probably see things somewhat alike in what we are looking for.
Nice. I adored Mad Max. I found it incredibly relaxing and atmospheric to play. I'm super busy with work lately and those games are such a great de-stress (something tells me the zombie game will be the opposite) but I'm drawn in by the open world / leveling / crafting. I'm a sucker for that stuff! Knowing me I'll walk out with a copy of JC3 too. Haha.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sounds like a great game after a price drop and a few patches.

Well Just Cause 2 was pretty damn enjoyable to a large number of gamers and had a good amount of fan support as well as playground availability and a large world. its not that hard to get it.

I agree with Karak. That's exactly why I was hyped for Just Cause 3, and others were/are too.

Just Cause 2 was a great surprise. It was a ton of fun.

What I find really weird is that the game has improved on JC2 in almost every way...yet it's getting lower scores... Steam reviews aren't looking so good either..

Durden77

What I find really weird is that the game has improved on JC2 in almost every way...yet it's getting lower scores... Steam reviews aren't looking so good either..

Pretty normal with games that are fairly redundant. I expected this to be more JC2 but shiner and better, but I also expected review scores like this.

Just Cause 2 came out several years ago and was more fun than this one is.

Just Cause 3 feels dated, and its objectives are repetitive, also in a way that doesn't show much outside of the box thinking or improvement from JC2. It's also technically flawed, which lowers review scores. So it's not a surprise it's getting lower scores.

It's not a bad game and is pretty fun, but it's flawed and not as good as JC2.

Rembrandt

Banned

Just Cause has a surprising fanbase. I'm confused, too. It's not a fun game to play mechanic wise and I guess it offers a lot of freedom to make your own fun after you get over the shitty combat, driving, story, missions, etc.

Durden77

Just Cause 3 feels dated, and its objectives are repetitive, also in a way that doesn't show much outside of the box thinking or improvement from JC2. It's also technically flawed, which lowers review scores. So it's not a surprise it's getting lower scores.

I am curious to know, what makes you think JC2 is the better game? Besides it being a little more impactful at release? From what I've seen this just seems like JC2 but more.

WaterAstro

Wasn't Just Cause 2 all about killing the red things too?

I had fun with that.

UrbanRats

JC2 is overhyped as all hell.
It was a fun game but people were lenient with it because it was sort of an up and coming title.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

JC2 was just as dull and lifeless. The story was dumb and only the open world playground was the appeal, kind if like this game. Problem is we played that game already, they need to innovate and grow.

Top Bottom