• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Review Thread

epmode

From what I've played, it feels like Just Cause 2 with a bunch of quality of life improvements and AMAZING EXPLOSIONS which is exactly what I expected. Runs really well on my PC too.

I'm happy with it.

NotLiquid

I am curious to know, what makes you think JC2 is the better game? Besides it being a little more impactful at release? From what I've seen this just seems like JC2 but more.

It's basically JC2 but with a much more integrated, skill-required version of the Superman mod and a bigger effort to emphasize maneuverability. I find it hard to imagine anyone liking JC2 not liking JC3 unless it's a matter of the novelty having worn out (which is understandable as the series has always been fairly shallow) or the performance issues putting a damper on the fun (which is an incredibly valid point to make since many people expected better from Avalanche).

It's fairly understandable that this didn't get as good of a critical reception since it's not doing much to actively blow apart the formula. It's generally more of the same but more streamlined and with some fun new additions.

I am curious to know, what makes you think JC2 is the better game? Besides it being a little more impactful at release? From what I've seen this just seems like JC2 but more.

Wasn't Just Cause 2 all about killing the red things too?

I had fun with that.

The original Just Cause was merely okay. I liked it more than most, but it was a bit ho-hum. Then Just Cause 2 came along and it blew me away. The parachute/grappling hook/skydiving combo was amazing. It was also a hell of a lot of fun; one of the most enjoyable games I've played to be honest.

Sure, it was repetitive, but it was a lot of fun until it became too similar at the end. (It took forever to unlock the last two missions, because you had to cause so much chaos)

Just Cause 3 is fun and enjoyable, but it feels very similar and the core gameplay doesn't feel like it's improved. It doesn't feel as tight as I remember, and the technical issues also affect it.

The objectives also don't show forward thinking.

It's NOT a bad game, but it's also not a great game like JC2 was.

GHG

Just Cause has a surprising fanbase. I'm confused, too. It's not a fun game to play mechanic wise and I guess it offers a lot of freedom to make your own fun after you get over the shitty combat, driving, story, missions, etc.

That's just your opinion.

It's a game that doesn't take itself seriously so I don't understand why people look at it seriously expecting things like stories and "realism". The game is about having fun and making your own fun by creating crazy set-pieces.

This looks to be more of the same from JC2 with a few extra tools at your disposal and that is not a bad thing.

Durden77

It's basically JC2 but with a much more integrated, skill-required version of the Superman mod and a bigger effort to emphasize maneuverability. I find it hard to imagine anyone liking JC2 not liking JC3 unless it's a matter of the novelty having worn out (which is understandable as the series has always been fairly shallow) or the performance issues putting a damper on the fun (which is an incredibly valid point to make since many people expected better from Avalanche).

It's fairly understandable that this didn't get as good of a critical reception since it's not doing much to actively blow apart the formula. It's generally more of the same but more streamlined and with some fun new additions.

Pretty much exactly what I've been thinking. If you want more JC2, this is your game.

The original Just Cause was merely okay. I liked it more than most, but it was a bit ho-hum. Then Just Cause 2 came along and it blew me away. The parachute/grappling hook/skydiving combo was amazing. It was also a hell of a lot of fun; one of the most enjoyable games I've played to be honest.

Sure, it was repetitive, but it was a lot of fun until it became too similar at the end. (It took forever to unlock the last two missions, because you had to cause so much chaos)

Just Cause 3 is fun and enjoyable, but it feels very similar and the core gameplay doesn't feel like it's improved. It doesn't feel as tight as I remember, and the technical issues also affect it.

The objectives also don't show forward thinking.

It's NOT a bad game, but it's also not a great game like JC2 was.

So it's really just the fact that JC2 blew you away, and JC3 is more of the same? That's fine and all, and like I said earlier I understand the lowet review scores because of redundancy, but I don't see how that makes it a worse game. If it's JC2 with more options, it will almost certainly be a better game to me unless they've severely fucked up something.

Hupsel

Still thorn between Mad Max and Just Cause 3. But since Im playing on consoles I guess Mad max is the better option.

UrbanRats

Weird, i haven't played much, but the first thing I thought, is how much better it feels to control Rico.
I do miss the roll though, as useless as it was.
I like that now you don't grapple people to yourself, but yourself to them (kicking them in the process) it's so useful to move around.

Rains

Looking forward to this however am not gonna pick it up until well i hope until they fix the frame rate

So it's really just the fact that JC2 blew you away, and JC3 is more of the same? That's fine and all, and like I said earlier I understand the lowet review scores because of redundancy, but I don't see how that makes it a worse game. If it's JC2 with more options, it will almost certainly be a better game to me unless they've severely fucked up something.

Weird, i haven't played much, but the first thing I thought, is how much better it feels to control Rico.
I do miss the roll though, as useless as it was.
I like that now you don't grapple people to yourself, but yourself to them (kicking them in the process) it's so useful to move around.

As I said, it's not bad. But it's not as impressive as Just Cause 2 was, outside of its world's size. The gameplay hasn't evolved enough, and actually feels a bit worse in ways, and it feels dated. Yes, it's quite similar, but I don't think it's an improvement.

I wanted this to be so good that it'd be my GOTY, but it's not that good and I'm disappointed. It's fun enough, but it's technically flawed and its gunplay mechanics are lacking.

UrbanRats

As I said, it's not bad. But it's not as impressive as Just Cause 2 was, outside of its world's size. The gameplay hasn't evolved enough, and actually feels a bit worse in ways, and it feels dated. Yes, it's quite similar, but I don't think it's an improvement.

I wanted this to be so good that it'd be my GOTY, but it's not that good and I'm disappointed. It's fun enough, but it's technically flawed and its gunplay mechanics are lacking.

Personally i don't see how the gameplay is "dated", compared to what? But i'm not here to convince you, if you are disappointed, that's fine.
Agree to disagree and all that.

The only thing that drew me into JC2 was the multiplayer mod. So much fun.

You would think the dev team would have played the JC2 multiplayer mod and realized how important multiplayer was. Can't imagine why it wasn't added.

Dang. That opening paragraph is brutal.
The explosions in Just Cause 3 are really, really good. They’re elaborate, extravagant eruptions of fire, debris, and smoke. And when you blow something up, the ensuing fireball spreads to other objects around it, triggering a massive, destructive chain reaction. It’s a brand of fiery devastation that Michael Bay would describe as ‘too much’. But that’s about it. When the fires burn out, the smoke clears, and the dust settles, you’re left with a simplistic, one-note, and strangely dull open-world action game.

The only thing that drew me into JC2 was the multiplayer mod. So much fun.

You would think the dev team would have played the JC2 multiplayer mod and realized how important multiplayer was. Can't imagine why it wasn't added.

Dev A: Should we add multiplayer? JC2 multiplayer mod was thriving, we should add it to JC3 this time.
Dev B: Why bother? Waste of time and money. Modders will make the JC3 version anyway.
Dev C: Good point.

Still thorn between Mad Max and Just Cause 3. But since Im playing on consoles I guess Mad max is the better option.
I've been playing Mad Max on pc and having a lot of fun it's a pretty solid game. Love the explosions this dev does a decent job with fire effects

antitrop

I've been playing Mad Max on pc and having a lot of fun it's a pretty solid game. Love the explosions this dev does a decent job with fire effects
Ya, and those storms were quite a sight to behold, as well.

The way you can see them quickly rolling in from the distance before everything goes to complete chaos never got old.

Mad Max really could have been something if it wasn't so held back by its strict adherence to the generic open-world collectathon formula.

Ya, and those storms were quite a sight to behold, as well.

The way you can see them quickly rolling in from the distance before everything goes to complete chaos never got old.

Mad Max really could have been something if it wasn't so held back by its strict adherence to the generic open-world collectathon formula.
That's right also the draw distance is great it is awesome to see far away structures and chimneys blowing out smoke and fire...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dev A: Should we add multiplayer? JC2 multiplayer mod was thriving, we should add it to JC3 this time.
Dev B: Why bother? Waste of time and money. Modders will make the JC3 version anyway.
Dev C: Good point.

Lol totally lazy devs.

I'm sure when the publisher volunteered to give them millions more to their budget and a dedicated multiplayer programming team the lazy devs said "No way, we're too lazy"

bobawesome

Joke? There's no joke that i know of.

RjFIaVS.gif

meanspartan

Ouch, really thought this one would be better. Some people were saying Mad Max was only OK because they were focusing on Just Cause 3, but it looks like Avalanche just put out two decent-ish games instead.

If anything, next drought I'll probably go with Mad Max over this one if I were to pick between the two. Mad Max may end up slightly lower on the metacritic, but it just looks more interesting.

Catdaddy

Sounds like a wait and see for me until they get the tech issues corrected for the consoles.  Got Mad Max for X1 at a good pricelast week so may pound that out until it this gets patched up.

danowat

Banned
Apart from being open world, I don't get the comparison to Mad Max, they are very different games that can easily coexist.

JC3, apart from some technical issues, is really solid fun.

Luq

Hi guys, our review is up as well (polish)

6,5/10

http://www.gry-online.pl/S020.asp?ID=10884

pros:
- huge world
- total freedom
- top notch graphics and effects
- challenges and progression system work together quite nicely (i know, some people are complaning but i liked the idea and execution ;) )
- using wingsuit and rest of the gadgets is extremely fun

cons:
- plot and voice acting suck big time
- camera-work in closed spaces
- tons of small glitches
- mediocre gunfight
- loading screens and online issues are killing the pace

Consumer

Pretty much what I expected, score-wise. Good reviews, but not great reviews. Hope AngryJoeShow reviews it soon. I'll probably pick it up for PS4 late 2016 when it's cheap and fixes most of these technical issues + excessive loading screens.

Unity2012

So, after reading the reviews and impressions, Is it fair to say that Just cause 3 is what Fallout 4 is to Fallout 3?
More of the same things we enjoyed, with a few improvements, better visuals and bugs that we hope are patched.
So if we liked the first one, we sure will find some good in this one unless we are overly fatigued of the formula. True to either game.

Question for anyone playing the game, how's the ammo quantity or availability? I hated the fact the you ran out of ammo so easily on JC2.

SURGEdude

Sounds like outside of the technical issues it hits most of the marks for fans of it's particular brand of extreme sandbox. Doubtful it will appeal to those of us that couldn't stand the previous games though.

While I do wonder how the saturation of the genre might affect the novelty of it, I'm also pretty sure that fans of these games enjoy the somewhat paradoxical design of an expansive world with few restrictions, which in practice is actually a highly repetitive and drawn out process of accomplishing a laundry list of similar and quickly menial tasks. Many people I know find real enjoyment in the grind be it WoW, Destiny, or this month's flavor of themed sandboxing.

At least Just Cause owns it's primary focus on freedom and pure player control. That's why many people love it. In contrast Ubi still thinks people believe their games are story driven narratives and not just the same stuff with an impressively crafted city thrown in each year to distract from an underlying game which increasingly looks like something released by EA sports.

Hasney

Yeah, defo grab it on the cheap on my PC. Was hoping there was going to be vast improvements and I enjoyed 2, but it was one of those games where I'd play for an hour, accomplish nothing except blowing shit up, then play something else.

Xater

I was fully on board with this game up until the point I liberated the first region completely. I couldn't wait what was to come, but sadly the game doesn't evolve after that. It's still kinda fun, but definitely diminishing returns. 7/10 seems fair to me. Maybe even a point less on consoles because of the technical issues.

Agreed. I'll be waiting on a few performance patches for the PC version before I take the plunge.
PC version is the one that already runs great, haven't seen any issues mentioned about it and I get 60-90FPS depending on the situation despite not meeting the recommended CPU (3770k vs my 3570)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
To be quite honest, I'd rather play RFG than JC3, cuz at least there's a lot more and ton of fun to be had in terms of destruction and physics gameplay, not to mention that content there is not actually gated by a bunch of stupid and boring shit. The game has not changed for the better too, it is basicly the same game but with the wingsuit and I see almost zero improvement over JC2 in terms of locked content (somehow JC3 manages to be even worse than JC2 in this aspect), story progression etc. and it is VERY DISAPOINTING. JC3 even looks no where near as good as GTAV for example to require i7, GTX 980, 8 GB (or more) of RAM for the max settings in 1080p, nfw. The game looks like it's from 2010 or 2011 in terms of overall image quality but with a few fancy effects which do not change the picture that much and just overall.

*sigh*

I think it's time for me to just boycott these types of games (JC3/Mad Max and any similar games in terms of overall structure of the open world component/side activities etc.) and buy/play something that is actually worth playing and buying. Goddamnit! Why!? Why in the world almost every game nowadays absolutely has to be open world? This must be stoped for the sake of the actuall games. I mean, if you can't make an open world game with good, interesting, memorable and meaningfull content which players can enjoy and invest their time in, why even bother and more importantly - why in the fuck do you gating a lot of interesting stuff and even story missions (!!!) behind a ton of boring, uninspired and supid shit? Stop it, right now! Please, for Christ's sake.

It's not that I hate open world game overall, no, I do not hate them, I just want to enjoy more ot them, I really do, but I can't, I simply can't because of the reasons above (which are not related to graphics in any way, but the game must look good to reqaure a beast PC to run at max settings 1080p and JC3 is not that game, period).

RawNuts

a) Games haven't improved much from the past generation

b) Same ole shit, new paint?

c) Critics are harsher

d) Blowback from not using the entire scale so they are using it now?

e) All of the above
I'd like to ask the audience, Regis.

Gurish

Fucking preach, Jim

These kind of games are this gen's "generic military shooter".
Yea I'm tired of this shit, can't wait for Uncharted 4 already, don't want to play open world games for years at this point, I would've bought TR if i had an XB1, really missing focus and pacing in games, and actually a good mission design, interesting objectives and some scripting and set pieces god forbid, open world is indeed this gen's generic military shooter :/

Top Bottom