• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Review Thread

I think Jim has burnt out on open world games. With the notable exception of Metal Gear Solid V, pretty much all of the open world games he's marked down due to employing the standard open world content tactics of collectibles and side missions.

I can't imagine being a reviewer these days and having to play through all of these open world games that come out with the same copy-pasted mechanics, challenges, and activities. I don't blame Jim for a second for the scores he gives the majority of open-world games these days, the genre desperately needs some innovation.

Sterling review is what I expected. Lucky for me I've stayed away from far cry and ass creed so I don't think I'll have fatigue. Still gonna wait for a price drop though

Durden77

About what I expected. Call me stale, but I wanted a shinier and better JC2, and that sounds like exactly what I'm getting. Sweet. For some reason with each JC, I never get the open-world fatigue that I'm normally very susceptible to. I just love fucking around in it's world and want every reason to stay in it.

Want to see the technical issues for myself, but hopefully if they're too invasive they will be ironed out. If they are, this will easily make my personal top 5 games of the year. I just have way too much fun with these games.

4 1/2 more hours, can't fucking wait!

NotLiquid

I think Jim has burnt out on open world games. With the notable exception of Metal Gear Solid V, pretty much all of the open world games he's marked down due to employing the standard open world content tactics of collectibles and side missions.

Weird thing too - he praised Metal Gear Solid V as not being padded with filler content or it's +100 side-ops not feeling repetitive or nebulous, even though that game had crazy amounts of downtime moving between distances and performing the same tired tasks of "blow up tank, extract prisoner etc." but with so much more tedium associated with it.

Karak

Counter-counter-counter!

Yeah, it's all good. I honestly think this will be a decisive game for many. Not quite heaven or hell, but probably a wide variety of opinions depending on where you preferences lie.

Totally agree. Even without the tech issues.

I enjoy this type of mission layout with the franchise for some reason. Just mindless, "capture a point here and there".

It's why they give you so many tools and other stuff to play with so you can mess around with them, a big open sandbox. If you're not into doing that, creating chaos, creating your own fun, then of course this isn't the type of game for you.

It's pretty much what I was expecting from a sequel, it looks like JC2, with more things added on top of it. I'm happy with that.

I dig that kind of open-world play. Honestly, I find it's like cleaning. I just move from point to point, cleaning things up and having fun.

Anung

Un Rama
Sounds just like Mad Max.

Dat tired-ass open-world blueprint.

I think I enjoyed Mad Max way more than it deserved in spite of the tired open world objectives. I think I'll still grab this. I don't care about story I just want to fly around and blow shit up. I've never played a JC before so this being more of the same doesn't apply to me really.

A lot of reviewers seemed to ignore the fact that MGSV had a bland open world and shit tons of bland boring busy work (as well as many more of its flaws) when they were handing out 9's and 10's.

antitrop

Can we just be done with “sandbox” games that consist of doing a dozen things ten dozen times? I don’t know how many more I can take.

6.5/10
Alright
Fucking preach, Jim

These kind of games are this gen's "generic military shooter".

MouldyK

I think Jim has burnt out on open world games. With the notable exception of Metal Gear Solid V, pretty much all of the open world games released this year he's marked down due to employing the standard open world content tactics of collectibles and side missions.

Xenoblade X got a 9 from him today.

ironcreed

Banned
Its a b-movie game, didn't expect glowing reviews much like the last game; its more about messing around in this world and having fun.

Exactly. Playing Just Cause is kind of like watching a Bollywood flick. It is funny, over the top and absurd in all the best ways.

Top-Bollywood-Fight-Scenes.gif

You are not there for the story or polish.

Oersted

I think Jim has burnt out on open world games. With the notable exception of Metal Gear Solid V, pretty much all of the open world games released this year he's marked down due to employing the standard open world content tactics of collectibles and side missions.

He did give Xenoblade Chronicles 9/10

Exactly. Playing Just Cause is kind of like watching a Bollywood flick. It is funny, over the top and absurd in all the best ways.

Top-Bollywood-Fight-Scenes.gif

You are not there for the story or polish.

Over the top, story and especially polish do not exclude each other.

GameSpot 8/10

The majority of our time with Just Cause 3 was spent with the PC version, followed by several hours on both PS4 and Xbox One. Based on the review builds provided, the game performed better on PC, with higher and more stable frame rates, fewer bugs, and better looking environments. However, the problems did not affect the overall experience enough to impact individual scores.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/just-cause-3-review/1900-6416323/

So......how bad is the technical issues on PC?

On a scale of 1 to Arkham Knight?

Depends. From my review:

On my rig - i7 4790k and GTX 970 - the only major bug I ran into was a persistent visual bug that popped up when there was an explosion that involved eletricity. Didn't impact my play.

Another reviewer on a GTX 760 reported other issues, like trees that would disappear when messing with anti-aliasing settings, a de-sync of voices from the models, and the occasionally short freeze here and there. I did not have these issue, but I thought I should bring them to your attention. You mileage may vary.

Our review seems to be about where others are..

http://press-start.com.au/2015/12/01/review-just-cause-3/

Loading times were kept relatively minimal with only one major load initially, which seemed to me to be slowed down by the connection to Square Enix online service that syncs the asynchronous multiplayer elements. It’s a big world to load and understandably, that takes some time, but nothing excessively long. Subsequent loads between challenges and fast travel often only last a few seconds.
Keen to see if this is the case once everyone/everything is up and running.

ironcreed

Banned
Over the top, story and especially polish do not exclude each other.

No, but that is not what I am looking for in a game like this. I just want to create my own crazy fun with the tools provided in a giant and beautiful world. This game delivers that from everything that I have seen.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems odd to me that Fallout gets multiple reviews for the lackluster performance in the console versions and this only gets one despite the framerate in this performing like utter shit on consoles.

Doesn't sound like it really affects the gameplay that much compared to Fallout 4. Different reviewers, too.

chadboban

He gave Xenoblade Chronicles X a pretty high score though and that review was today as well.

It's because too many came out in a very short amount of time. Mad Max, MGSV, Batman: Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Need For Speed, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Rise of the Tomb Raider & Just Cause 3. Jesus. You have to be doing something special or exceptionally good to impress.

Edit: I had the game for more than a week but just played 2 hours lol, I was waiting for the patch. From what I played I felt the shooting and controls felt tighter than JC2 thanks to the sound mixing in this game making things feel real satisfying.

Durden77

Just Cause 2 actually had an alarming amount of polish compared to the first. I was so surprised by how it turned out considering the first could've easily been dead in the water, and I couldn't have been happier with the way it turned out considering I didn't evem expect it to get a sequel im the first place. This one seems to try to follow suit. Albiet some tech difficulties.

I want this in my viens right now so bad.

antitrop

It's because too many came out in a very short amount of time. Mad Max, MGSV, Batman: Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Need For Speed, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Rise of the Tomb Raider & Just Cause 3. Jesus. You have to be doing something special or exceptionally good to impress.
You forgot AC Syndicate.

Oersted

No, but that is not what I am looking for in a game like this. I just want to create my own crazy fun with the tools provided in a giant and beautiful world. This game delivers that from everything that I have seen.

Performance is essential for fun, especially for crazy over the top action.

DrWong

Saw your edit :]
I bolded the interesting part of your post :]

Vire

Doesn't sound like it really affects the gameplay that much compared to Fallout 4. Different reviewers, too.
Hmmm, I watched that ACG review and I beg to differ. Granted I haven't played it yet but some of those drops were abominable.

ironcreed

Banned
Performance is essential for fun, especially for crazy over the top action.

Indeed, but dips to into the 20's is not a deal breaker for me. I am actually quite used to it in huge games like this on consoles. I have seen tons of footage and the game looks more than playable.

danm999

Seems odd to me that Fallout gets multiple reviews for the lackluster performance in the console versions and this only gets one despite the framerate in this performing like utter shit on consoles.

The discrepancy between Fallout 4's versions and Just Cause 3's versions sounds a lot bigger in the former case honestly.

Dan seems to be saying Just Cause 3 has some frame rate slowdown that is disappointing but not gamebreaking, whereas Jeff said of Fallout 4 PS4 there were some sections the frame rate dropped so low the shooting was too difficult and he had to switch to VATS.

Karak

So......how bad is the technical issues on PC?

On a scale of 1 to Arkham Knight?

LOl. like a 7. Its much much better on PC than that.

I will say the odd thing is the console performance on like systems being so wonky.

Initial load was 45 seconds on one system 1+ minute on another. Same console type same harddrive. Same damned everything.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This game isn't popular enough to warrant that amount of extra review time? GOTY stuff is starting up and I know Dan still has stuff to play.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I love open world games but I'm getting burned out on them as well, so JC3 will have to wait awhile before I get it. Honestly I could go for a super linear but great game right about now, one that doesn't take 50 hours to finish.

Piers

So it's basically JC2 but on a different island + wing suit.
That's okay with me.

Not sure how people thought this was going to be a refreshing new instalment from the trailers and footage.

I could understand that feeling for him (I'm certainly burnt out), but is that really true?

Fallout 4: 9.5/10

MGSV: 9/10

XCX: 9/10

TW3: 8.5/10

AC: Syndicate: 7/10

Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell: 7/10

JC3: 6.5/10.

Batman: AK: 5/10

Dying Light: 5/10

Mad Max: 4/10

It's kin of interesting to see that Avalanche created two of the games that he scored lowest this year. It seemed like Jim was actually in fact rather liked a number of open worlds like XCX, MGSV, FO4 and TW3.

Maximo

Reviewed by different people.

LionPride

Banned
I watched the Nercubed video on it, it was exactly what I expected. Therefore I'm happy to pick this game up. I'm surprised that he is all over ads for the game though

Can totally tell why they wanted this in the hands of the popular youtube masses earmy and to promote. Best game ever quotes and all that jazz. Lol

hawk2025

As Y2KEV pointed out somewhere, I await the glorious return of at least semi-linear hub-based story games dominating over open world bloat fests!

...I still love some open world bloat fests, though.

Brizzo24

So it's basically JC2 but on a different island + wing suit.
That's okay with me.

Not sure how people thought this was going to be a refreshing new instalment from the trailers and footage.

And that notion is perfectly fine with me. I wasn't expecting anything much from the game other than a more glorified JC2 with better explosions, visuals, and locales. What's tripping me up is the negative comments regarding the crazy load times (30 seconds to two whole minutes in between deaths) and the framerate dips on PS4. I'm not sure if it's day one, or I can wait for a sale.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I could understand that feeling for him (I'm certainly burnt out), but is that really true?

Fallout 4: 9.5/10

MGSV: 9/10

XCX: 9/10

TW3: 8.5/10

AC: Syndicate: 7/10

Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell: 7/10

JC3: 6.5/10.

Batman: AK: 5/10

Dying Light: 5/10

Mad Max: 4/10

He gave Dying Light a 5? The fuck? It was amazing, it shocked the shit out of me it was so good. An easy 9 for me. Mad Max was better than a 4 too, 6 would be fair.

Ooccoo

Can totally tell why they wanted this in the hands of the popular youtube masses earmy and to promote. Best game ever quotes and all that jazz. Lol

That's why I don't bother with Youtubers for the most part. Angry Joe is great and more real than most other reviewers. Jimquisition is also fine. A lot of people are just bad at reviewing stuff and basically work for the publishers as free marketing for them.

Top Bottom