• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West freestyling circa 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMicLuv

troll is a troll.

why do i get banned for trolling but yet others can

It's all in the execution. My trolling was so obvious that anyone who bought into must be a very special person. I was so blatant that it would have to take a real concerted effort to actually believe those posts. You'd have to be a tit to believe it, but many did, many tits. I thought 'If I make it any broader it'll be a giveaway' but it seems no matter how fucking broadly I played it people still wanted to believe. It's interesting that people would rather overlook the obviousness and choose to believe it was genuine when, for most people I would hope, it was clear as day what was going on. GAFs always looking for people to hate on. I wonder why? (wink)

Dali

It's all in the execution. My trolling was so obvious that anyone who bought into must be a very special person. I was so blatant that it would have to take a real concerted effort to actually believe those posts. You'd have to be a tit to believe it, but many did, many tits. I thought 'If I make it any broader it'll be a giveaway' but it seems no matter how fucking broadly I played it people still wanted to believe. It's interesting that people would rather overlook the obviousness and choose to believe it was genuine when, for most people I would hope, it was clear as day what was going on. GAFs always looking for people to hate on. I wonder why? (wink)
It wasn't obvious. There are many people out there who have the same opinion of rap in general, not just Kanye. Daft punk slows a sample down = genius. Rap producer does it = "wtf he just ripped off xxxxx song."

Furthermore trolling is against the terms of service. Glad you admitted to intentionally derailing the thread.

TheContact

Some pretty good evidence right here that opinions can be wrong and can be such in a stunning fashion.

This is a prime example of when opinions can be wrong to you? About what another person feels about someone else's albums?

o·pin·ion
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

You can come at me and argue lyrically and musically why this album is better than his other works and I would STILL be right in my opinion

Like this album all you want, but look if you tell me that this beat is entertaining to your ears then we just have really different tastes in music, again still not making my opinion "wrong".

To me, compared to 808s and MBDTF, this album is terrible. I just like clean sounding music, and this album sounds rugged, choppy and hacked.

Courage

Your backpedaling is obvious, actually.

GlamFM

Banned
It's horrible!

Thank god he became a lot better after that.

To bad he turned into one of this planets biggest idiots after he got good.

Dali

This is a prime example of when opinions can be wrong to you? About what another person feels about someone else's albums?

You can come at me and argue lyrically and musically why this album is better than his other works and I would STILL be right in my opinion

Like this album all you want, but look if you tell me that this beat is entertaining to your ears then we just have really different tastes in music, again still not making my opinion "wrong".

To me, compared to 808s and MBDTF, this album is terrible. I just like clean sounding music, and this album sounds rugged, choppy and hacked.
That shit was hawt fiyah. Sorry but if you think it was hacked then you're just wrong.

Dipz

Banned
Kanye West is, was and shall always be a fucking moron.
I was programming better beats than him on fucking SpecDrum when I was 11.
To other morons he's a genius but to anyone who knows anything about music composition and production he's a fucking clown.
I highly doubt you were making better beats on SpecDrum. Go back and listen to "This Can't Be Life" from Jay-Z's Dynasty album, the production he did for Scarface's "The Fix" album and Jay-Z's Blueprint album.. Also, the track that he did for Mobb Deep's "Amerikaz Nightmare" album called "Throw Your Hands". All those tracks are certified bangers and that doesn't even scratch the surface. You'll pull out the lazy "but he just samples, that's not creative" criticism probably, but WTF do you think DJ Premier and Pete Rock do?

I know a whole lot about music composition and production having participated in both on a professional level and Kanye isn't the one I think is a fucking clown here.

EDIT: oh and now I see you were "trolling".. No you were just posting stupid shit.

lol-i-troll-u.png

Fevaweva

LOL who is this fuckwit criticising Kanye's production because of his sampling of all things?

His persona, his lyrical content I can understand...but his beats? Now I have heard everything.

rvy

Banned
LOL who is this fuckwit criticising Kanye's production because of his sampling of all things?

His persona, his lyrical content I can understand...but his beats? Now I have heard everything.

DJ McLovin has some dope beats, I think.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I had no idea kanye was rapping as far back as this. Thought he was a producer only until he got his break.

Yeah, he always wanted to rap. This is just people hanging at a store opening rapping, he's not doing it professionally or anything. Hell, there might be audio of me rapping when I was 13 or something.
I'm pretty sure I never rapped

lordmrw

Man this shit is classic.

Looks like Complex Mag put together a list of the best Freestyles in the booth with Big Tigger on BET's The Basement. I remember watching quite a few of these as they aired. I don't know if I'd call these "the best" but it's a nice nostalgia sampler plate

They tried to cut out as many writtens as possible (which is why Kanye isn't on here - I guess his appearance on the Basement was just him stitching two different songs together) but some of 'em sneak through anyway.

Everything is Planet Rock. Except for when it's Looking for the Perfect Beat.

I can't believe they didn't provide a link to the Canibus freestyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGN_B8Ro6SU#t=78

Hip Hop

Man this shit is classic.

Looks like Complex Mag put together a list of the best Freestyles in the booth with Big Tigger on BET's The Basement. I remember watching quite a few of these as they aired. I don't know if I'd call these "the best" but it's a nice nostalgia sampler plate

They tried to cut out as many writtens as possible (which is why Kanye isn't on here - I guess his appearance on the Basement was just him stitching two different songs together) but some of 'em sneak through anyway.

Everything is Planet Rock. Except for when it's Looking for the Perfect Beat.

Shit, had in my mind that the Diplomats freestyle should be number one, and it is. Legendary freestyle right there.

DJMicLuv

Your backpedaling is obvious, actually.

"My bass drums samples are all under 20hz and my hi hats are over 30k, that's how fucking futuristic they are. "

That line there, the first line of the post, was the give away as to the frivolity of my claims. Those frequencies are basically below and above most people's hearing range. Any beats under 20hz and over 30khz would be only audible to some animals. It was a red flag that the following hyperbole was daftness for the sake of daftness. It seemed obvious to me I was taking the piss.
My first post, the one about the SpecDrum was when the penny might have dropped but it is a pretty obscure reference (SpecDrum was an early drum machine for the ZX Spectrum, it was shit).
Anyway, while I'm here, and before I get banned (if I get banned, I thought it was pretty obvious I was being daft), let's break some hearts and kill a few childhoods. There's toast on the table and I'm ready to spill the beans. There's soap in my hand and I'm ready to come clean...
The following are spoilers for those who'd like to continue to believe these shenanigans were anything but.
I'm not a rapper and I'm not a DJ (but I am a musician).
Those 'beats' were parts (ie, the rhythm tracks, no instruments) of 10+ year old backing tracks I did for a project long gone as rough, unmastered mixes I mixed down in 10 minutes before posting them from Cubase multi's I haven't touched in 10 years. My real music is actually very straightforward and would in no way be appealing to anyone on this thread (ELOesque pop, you'd fucking hate it and I wouldn't blame you).
I've been a semi-serious musician for 25+ years and my honest appraisal of Kanye's talent is this ... he's OK but he's not as great as he (or his people) paint him out to be.
Is he a genius? No. Fucking. Way. Frank Zappa? He was a genius. Brian Wilson? Genius. Prince? Genius. Kanye? I just don't see it. I can't even see him as a particularly talented musician on any specific instrument, let alone as a multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger, engineer, producer, mastering-engineer, or any other disciplines which "real" musicians spend years of dedication to master. He's OK but that's as far as I think it goes.
There, happy now? I've ruined the magic of the djmicluv persona for the children and laid it all bare. Hear that sobbing sound? That's the sound of a million Gaffer's having their dreams shattered, their dreams about the folkloric magician of mirth they know as djmicluv. You've broken their hearts. It was your fault. I hope you can sleep tonight with this guilty burden bearing down upon your heartless chest. Yes, you're a wrongun alright.

Kraftwerk

"My bass drums samples are all under 20hz and my hi hats are over 30k, that's how fucking futuristic they are. "

That line there, the first line of the post, was the give away as to the frivolity of my claims. Those frequencies are basically below and above most people's hearing range. Any beats under 20hz and over 30khz would be only audible to some animals. It was a red flag that the following hyperbole was daftness for the sake of daftness. It seemed obvious to me I was taking the piss.
My first post, the one about the SpecDrum was when the penny might have dropped but it is a pretty obscure reference (SpecDrum was an early drum machine for the ZX Spectrum, it was shit).
Anyway, while I'm here, and before I get banned (if I get banned, I thought it was pretty obvious I was being daft), let's break some hearts and kill a few childhoods. There's toast on the table and I'm ready to spill the beans. There's soap in my hand and I'm ready to come clean...
The following are spoilers for those who'd like to continue to believe these shenanigans were anything but.
Those 'beats' were parts (ie, the rhythm tracks, no instruments) of 10+ year old backing tracks I did for a project long gone as rough, unmastered mixes I mixed down in 10 minutes before posting them from Cubase multi's I haven't touched in 10 years. My real music is actually very straightforward and would in no way be appealing to anyone on this thread (ELOesque pop, you'd fucking hate it and I wouldn't blame you).
I've been a semi-serious musician for 25+ years and my honest appraisal of Kanye's talent is this ... he's OK but he's not as great as he (or his people) paint him out to be.
Is he a genius? No. Fucking. Way. Frank Zappa? He was a genius. Brian Wilson? Genius. Prince? Genius. Kanye? I just don't see it. I can't even see him as a particularly talented musician on any specific instrument, let alone as a multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger, engineer, producer, mastering-engineer, or any other disciplines which "real" musicians spend years of dedication to master. He's OK but that's as far as I think it goes.
There, happy now? I've ruined the magic of the djmicluv persona for the children and laid it all bare. Hear that sobbing sound? That's the sound of a million Gaffer's having their dreams shattered, their dreams about the folkloric magician of mirth they know as djmicluv. You've broken their hearts. It was your fault. I hope you can sleep tonight with this guilty burden bearing down upon your heartless chest. Yes, you're a wrongun alright.

3816676-0704928121-36645.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Love how once detective-Gaf discovered his dog shit beats he began the back pedaling. Keep it going man, no point in giving in now.

Courage

And that post was after your soundcloud got exposed. Keep on trying to convince us though, it's entertaining.

Pre-written freestyles are cool. For example, Lil' Wayne has killed plenty of songs and laid better verses then their original artists/writers.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
pretty cool.

i'd rank his albums MBDTF>CD>LR>808s>Graduation>Yeezus. i hate ranking Graduation that low but i loooooooooove 808s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom