• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

4Tran

It seems so unappealing that I'm surprised that it's even as high as 2%.

If their titles aren't selling as well then they better hurry or else they are just losing lots of potential cash.

I don't even think PC gamers have an issue with buying MS made games, it's more of an issue with the store itself that people are avoiding in it's current state.

Though I suspect that the decision is more than Phil Spencer call.
Microsoft's reason for selling games on the Windows 10 Store is to promote the Store as a successful marketplace. Making any money off these games is only a secondary goal at best, so I doubt that we'll see any of Microsoft's big games on Steam any time soon.

Have numbers for QB come up? Relative to how it sold across Win10 and XB1?

Speaking only for myself, the stench of GFWL still lingers. It's hard to justify purchase price on the service, even when it is the only option.

bede-x

Not particularly surprising. PC Gamers tend to latch onto Steam like it's their one true savior.

Or another narrative: One store is simply better than the other. I don't see why anyone would choose Win 10 Store over Steam. Not only is it worse, Microsoft has a poor track record with clients immediately making you consider what will happen a few years from now, when they decide to move in a new direction.

aeolist

Banned
Im gonna throw my wing of optimism here. Steam wasn't that great when it launched either. And I know MS should be held to a high standard and there is no reason for their lack of basic functionality.

But I'm sure MS will eventually make it close to the quality of what steam offers. I doubt they'll ever get where steam is but look at how they've improved the x1 interface?

I'm not buying anything from their store but I'm hopeful that it'll get better.

steam sucked for a while but they also had basically no competition. by the time the first third party games came out on their service the functionality they provided was actually really great.

uwp is an inherently hobbled platform that can and will never match win32 in functionality unless microsoft backtracks on its fundamental design goals.

MUnited83

For you.
Im gonna throw my wing of optimism here. Steam wasn't that great when it launched either. And I know MS should be held to a high standard and there is no reason for their lack of basic functionality.

But I'm sure MS will eventually make it close to the quality of what steam offers. I doubt they'll ever get where steam is but look at how they've improved the x1 interface?

They had 10 years to improve GFWL and try to bring it to the standard of steam.

Guess what they did?

Serick

Married Member
I still don't have my Windows Store copy of Quantum Break.

I just don't care enough to sit in support chat to try and get it.

Jonbo298

They couldn't do it for Windows Store 5 years ago, the writing was on the wall since Windows 8 failed to light the world on fire with regards to its' integrated ecosystems.

Yep, that's the problem. If Microsoft was dominating the mobile market and console market, the integration would have been much more successful. As it stands, it's an unfulfilled potential and likely will not change. For me as a mostly PC gamer, I'm not actively going to support a platform that is more closed and assuming I'm an idiot by dumbing things down and removing ubiquitous features.

If they launch future MS UWP exclusives on their store, those games need to run close to flawless in order for people to run to the store. I do wonder how much Quantum Break and KI season 3 have sold on PC. I also wonder the amount of Forza Apex downloads. We need Steamspy for the windows store.

Have numbers for QB come up? Relative to how it sold across Win10 and XB1?

Speaking only for myself, the stench of GFWL still lingers. It's hard to justify purchase price on the service, even when it is the only option.

I don't believe we have numbers for any of the bigger Xbox releases MS has put on the Win10 store.

People using the narrative steam sucked at first....that was 2004...you cannot launch a store now and compare the standards to 2004. They had a decade to improve and learn and launch a better product and never. You launch a store today it has to be somewhat close to the standard that is set today or it is DOA. Times and standards change.

Zedox

If they launch future MS UWP exclusives on their store, those games need to run close to flawless in order for people to run to the store. I do wonder how much Quantum Break and KI season 3 have sold on PC. I also wonder the amount of Forza Apex downloads. We need Steamspy for the windows store.

I presume numbers for QB aren't high (and especially how bad it's been running on NVidia cards). KI probably did ok but I see more of the users being users from xbox since it's cross-buy.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I opened up the Windows 10 store ONCE, saw a bunch of old shitty mobile games, and never touched it again.

I find the comparison to Steams early days bizarre. This isn't MS first attempt at a PC storefront, it's their second. They should have learned from their first attempt with GFWL.

I find the comparison to Steams early days bizarre. This isn't MS first attempt at a PC storefront, it's their second. They should have learned from their first attempt with GFWL.

Not only that, but when you come late to the party, it's not an excuse to miss out on every basic features.

Gurnlei

When your way to download games have these issues:

VK2cJhj.png

it's not ok.

Steam was released over 10 years ago. We have much higher standards nowadays. Something that isn't even as good as Steam was at the beginning (despite the fact MS has tried before with GFWL), is not going to cut it in 2016.

This quote says it all:

Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.

Yet people will flock to defend MS and act like MS will benefit greatly from their store. It won't work at all.

May be a wake-up call for some in the Scorpio thread. All they've been banging on about for weeks is how "UWP" is going to change everything.

Yep, but I don't think it will stop them, a lot of posts in those threads are fan fiction and rose coloured glasses type of posts. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Nothing you say will change their minds regardless how right you are.

And that's just damn sad & pathetic. They always act like Microsoft can do no wrong & thinks that they're the gods of gaming just because they're an American company & are one of the biggest companies in the world.

icespide

Banned
UWP could fail miserably on PC and still be a big deal for future iterative Xbox consoles. it's really a different discussion

I'M SHOCKED!

SHOCKED!

Well not that shocked.

Makes me wonder how well Mirrors Edge 2 is selling on Origin. At least Ubisoft seems to get that not on Steam == actual lost sales, even if the "game" is an launcher to another software.

Not that Steam is absolutely perfect, but when the competition is much worse no one is going to jump ship just to play a game.

Lucumo

Windows 10 installs, too, were nowhere near what Microsoft had planned...“There are supposed to be 2x as many Xboxes out there as there are right now. There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are.
I'm surprised at that, considering their malware-like practices.

Zedox

1) It happened, it failed for anti-consumer reasons.
2) People don't need that kind of competition.

Oh shit, it failed in it's first couple months when AAA games came out for it, let's pack up our bags, let's not get better...cuz you know, that's not how competition works.

Wake me up when MS chooses to be competitive.

Ok, i'll wake you up in 2 years. (That's honestly where I think MS will actually be competitive with Steam. Just a personal projection)

There is already competition,and it is competition that is deciding the win 10 store is not much competition. The same way competition is why PS4 has a 20 million lead on X1.

That's fine...so should Microsoft just leave every gaming platform alone or nah?
----------------------------------------------

I don't think MS is up to snuff against Steam right now at all (and didn't think that they would be)...and I don't see it happening for a while. I think that at best (in the near future) games that are going to get the "highest" sales will be MS IPs on the storefront. It just makes the most logical sense. Thinking that MS is going to come in at this point in time and do everything that Steam does and provides out the gate and be good at it...is just wishful thinking. I also don't think it's good to think that they shouldn't try to be competitive either and just "leave it"...that's how you have PC port begging. But either way, none of what is happening is anything that is unexpected.

EDIT: What's more surprising to me is that MS expected more...that's hilarious to me.

notaskwid

Most of this 2% must be the people that bought the game using that exploit that allowed you to buy from the Russian store.

Top Bottom