• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Living with my crush/best friend for the next 2 weeks

Mortemis

Banned
Guys it's been already done. I'm already moved into her house and will see her when she returns from vacation tomorrow.

This is like watching two planes head directly towards each other, and while either plane can move away in the huge sky, they'll inevitably crash and you can't do anything about it.

Luminaire

Challenge her boyfriend to combat. Impress her with your swordplay. When she falls to your feet confessing her love for you, walk away and say it wasn't meant to be. After all, you're a gentleman.

Wait this is way too confusing. I need MS paint graphics to show me whats happening. Green will be noise of course.

zgxRXWH.png

C.Mongler

Well since we apparently can't tell you not to put yourself in this situation anymore, just don't do anything fucking weird. And frankly, try and spend as little time in the house as possible.

I am looking forward to updates, however.

UCBooties

If you're actually just trying to save some money on an apartment (lol), then find ways to be out of the house. Don't just hang around waiting for things to get awkward. Be friendly, be a conscientious guest, and be as absent as possible. Get to know the area where you'll be working, go running, hiking whatever. If you don't want things to get weird and fucked up, don't give them the opportunity to get weird and fucked up.

The first time you two are alone together you're going to be standing in the kitchen having a circular argument about why you should/shouldn't fuck. Hope you enjoy your two weeks of awkward sniping and a resentful handjob.

prepare to get rekt.

or fuck like rabbits and live happily ever after.

I think its 50/50

Edit: I like the above idea of getting outta the house. I know how the brain works in proximity to a crush: "I gotta be around her, make her laugh, show her how awesome I am. I gotta be there for her as much as possible." WRONG. Be unavailable. Be busy. If she has any feelings for you, she'll make plans. If she doesn't, hey! You just did some dope shit!

Real talk, though, in general I would just not trust or listen to GAF re: relationships. Sure, it could be awkward. Terrible shit might happen. Or you might both just be adults and be cool. Or something in between. Live your life, try not to forward an agenda, be grateful that she's saving you money, don't be a bad guest.

Now more gifs, plz.

BadAss2961

She invited you to stay at her place, knowing her family will be gone most of the time? With the least amount of game, you should be able to smash. Maybe something will come out of that, maybe not. The friendship is in serious jeopardy now either way, so I strongly suggest you at least pursue sex.

Play the passive friend role and you'll end up nowhere, embarrassed, and full of regret.

LordKasual

Banned
Have any of ya'll been in a similar situation? Let me be clear that my intention is to not get with her or anything these next 2 weeks. I just want to spend some quality time with her/not make anything awkward, perhaps become better friends. I'm already going to be at work majority of the day so it's really only a couple of hours everyday I'm anxious about. Any DOs/DONTs do ya'll have to offer?

yeah whatever

you two should just smash and get it over with

I don't get what the big deal is here.

Just make sure everything is super cool and very chill.

By which I mean, every time she turns around, be there smiling and ever-ready to ease what meaningless task might impose some small burden on her day-to-day being, even if it's something she's been doing on her own for years. Be there. But smile, always smile. Don't let her not see you smile.

Greet the guys she brings home warmly. Tell them, "It's so great to meet you." It might not be, but say it anyway. And you're smiling, you're smiling.

Now, it's time for dinner. "Let me pay." You owe it to her since she's letting you shack up, but don't let that on. "It's my treat," you say (are you still smiling?) in a voice that is both very cool and super chill.

But oh, now it's bedtime. Awkward, right? People just have to sleep. It's time. No more weird smiles. Linger. Linger too long. Uncomfortably. Be there, almost agitated, but not quite. Bubbling, but not over. Not chill, no, not any more. Snatch the throw blanket she offers you. Look around in a huff. I mean, where do you put it? What the fuck?

Act weird and cold. Distant. Like she owes you something, which she doesn't. Act slighted, which you aren't. Grumble to yourself occasionally. And most importantly, update the OP.

It will be over before you know it.

General rule in life-- The more a situation sounds like it could be the setting for a sitcom or deliberately awkward anime plot twist, the worse it'll play out. This definitely fits that criteria.
On the other hand if you are lucky you will get to have fun meaningless sex for about 2 weeks with no strings attached since she made it clear a proper relationship is impossible.
It's not "no strings" when there's a gigantic web of disastrous history between the two. "No strings" would be if the OP was moving in with a completely random girl for 2 weeks. This is the complete opposite of that. There appear to be few ways this could possibly be more complicated.
What's the worst that could happen? I'm asking because that's what will happen.
100% accurate. Even if by some complete miracle there's not any sort of intimate moment or extremely awkward conversation, the OP will emotionally grind himself into the pavement trying to cope with how godawful the situation is.

Hi, I haven't posted here in years but I came to tell you that you should only do this if you intend to permanently burn down this "friendship." Get moved in. Once you're in her house, make it clear that you want to fuck her brains out, religion be damned (pun intended). Tell her that she's an asshole for stringing you along and if she isn't going to shit or get off the pot, you will kick her ass out of the bathroom (metaphorically). You don't have to be mean about it, but deliver a clear ultimatum of what you want and be firm about not deviating from it once it's out there.

I'm just saying, make your move with the full-on "Fuck it!" mentality so that by the end of this two weeks you either have what you want or you will never speak to this person again.

If you want to maintain the relationship as is, then as everyone else said, do not do this.

Yep. This is sound advice considering you're hurtling towards disaster anyway. You're already making a huge mistake moving in with her even temporarily. If this is a relationship that is, by your own admission, toxic, you'll learn sooner or later it's best to end it if it continues to be toxic, which it will if you two don't get together. So why not. Go for broke.

I don't get what the big deal is here.

Just make sure everything is super cool and very chill.

By which I mean, every time she turns around, be there smiling and ever-ready to ease what meaningless task might impose some small burden on her day-to-day being, even if it's something she's been doing on her own for years. Be there. But smile, always smile. Don't let her not see you smile.

Greet the guys she brings home warmly. Tell them, "It's so great to meet you." It might not be, but say it anyway. And you're smiling, you're smiling.

Now, it's time for dinner. "Let me pay." You owe it to her since she's letting you shack up, but don't let that on. "It's my treat," you say (are you still smiling?) in a voice that is both very cool and super chill.

But oh, now it's bedtime. Awkward, right? People just have to sleep. It's time. No more weird smiles. Linger. Linger too long. Uncomfortably. Be there, almost agitated, but not quite. Bubbling, but not over. Not chill, no, not any more. Snatch the throw blanket she offers you. Look around in a huff. I mean, where do you put it? What the fuck?

Act weird and cold. Distant. Like she owes you something, which she doesn't. Act slighted, which you aren't. Grumble to yourself occasionally. And most importantly, update the OP.

It will be over before you know it.

is this from gone girl

Guys I'm not blind, I know it's a blatant friend zone and all. It's not a great situation to be in. But I'm seeking advice on how to make the situation better/not awkward because she really is doing me a huge favor here.

jasonng

But here's the thing though. You can't bring any girls home. When the mood strikes, where do you think your feelings are going to be towards?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
you two will end up getting it on, and then while great, it will make it awkward.

or it won't.

use protection ok.

Kensation

Guys I'm not blind, I know it's a blatant friend zone and all. It's not a great situation to be in. But I'm seeking advice on how to make the situation better/not awkward because she really is doing me a huge favor here.
Don't bring up anything remotely past the line of being platonic while under the same roof. If it's something you really want to pursue, wait till you're out of there.

This thread is like a day late you need to ask that shit before already being at her house bruh.

gohepcat

Banned
, but due to to her expecting herself to become more religious in the future

How do people live like this?

I dated, had casual sex, fell in and out of love...dozens of times before I got married. I never ever thought of religion.

How do people live with this anchor around their necks?

Mark L

OK, well here's the real answer: get an out of the home hobby real fast. The gym, the library, whatever. But you can't be gone forever or it'll feel awkward. That's the best I can do.

Top Bottom