• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PS4 System Software Update v2.0 Available NOW

video is pretty cool, lots of stuff inside.... If I was them, i would detail a lot better these updates, it would have better impression than 2 sentences dedicated to SharePlay.

They released a video detailing share play a few days ago. It is pretty good.

Ramza

Banned
Anyone else thinking about powering down tonight in the offhand chance they need to recall this update? I'm sure it'll be fine, but this is one hell of a massive update for the system.

They've probably been testing it for quite a while, since we didn't get a release date until recently.

Where is the Pause-Resume For games?

I play a game have to leave, pause it and

continue it on the Vita or when I get home
If you're talking about Suspend-Resume for games, we already have that. If you're playing a game and launch Netflix, it will Suspend the game you're playing, freeing up system resources for whatever you're doing instead. If you then to back to the game, it Resumes it automatically.

If you're looking for suspend-to-disk functionality like the PSP Go and Vita have, I don't think that was ever planned or announced for the PS4; just the Suspend-Resume behavior we've had since launch.

No, those were revealed at TGS with the Toro dynamic theme. I really hope that theme becomes available with this update; it is pretty great.

Toro-theme.gif
Ah. Thanks.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Anyone else thinking about powering down tonight in the offhand chance they need to recall this update? I'm sure it'll be fine, but this is one hell of a massive update for the system.
The system automatically downloads the update for you but it doesn't install them for you IIRC so leaving the system on shouldn't be an issue.

they removed the tweet that said it was coming today

then they ninja edited the blog post. :(

oh well. Only one day to wait!!

Wonder what else is hidden in this update? friend notifications??

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Try pause/resume in the middle of a COD/DESTINY/MCC match

Let me know how that works out for you

The PS4 already suspends games when you start apps like Netflix. It just can't keep that suspended game in memory (or written to disk) when you put it in standby. But I don't know exactly what happens in online MP situations. You just get disconnected, I suppose...?

Always nice to see some meaty updates, looking forward to having the Youtube app on PS4.

Now all I need is DLNA and I can finally put my PS3 to rest, well except for the wife who watches US Netflix on my PS3.

Lucifon

Why would you not power down your system on a night, unless you had downloads to do?

DieH@rd

Banned
Share Play thread will be up in ~20mins.

Does anyone wants to claim Post #2
, so that they can maintain and organize potential SharePlay meetups, account/game listings, Trophy Mercenary stuff and more?

ethomaz

Banned
The PS4 already suspends games when you start apps like Netflix. It just can't keep that suspended game in memory (or written to disk) when you put it in standby. But I don't know exactly what happens in online MP situations. You just get disconnected, I suppose...?
It depends of the game.

Destiny disconnect you in less than 1 minute when you suspend the game.

On Demand

Banned
How did they get the box art for music? Does the PS4 do a search like itunes?

I love how music files have their own folder but not games still. I don't get it. Whatever. Nice update. I hope we don't have to wait long for the next one. They really need to let us save music and videos on the system.

Ramza

Banned
It depends of the game.

That's because it's an online game. Any offline game stays suspended while in Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. So while Destiny's servers kick you off, the game software itself is suspended.

ethomaz

Banned
That's because it's an online game. Any offline game stays suspended while in Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. So while Destiny's servers kick you off, the game software itself is suspended.
Well the guy was asking how the online MP situations works :D

DieH@rd

Banned
So with Share play I can play friends games for 1 hour?, endless times right?.

You can setup as many 1hr sessions as you want. There is not limit on them. They probably just don't want people to leave their consoles running Share Play and burning their monthly bandwidth cap.

Guymelef

You can pause/download from the notifications menu but that's in some cases the PlayGo file, "full install/background" downloads probably can't.

twisted89

You can setup as many 1hr sessions as you want. There is not limit on them. They probably just don't want people to leave their consoles running Share Play and burning their monthly bandwidth cap.

I highly doubt that's the reason, they probably want people to actually buy games instead of streaming from their mates console all the time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I'd probably just use a dummy youtube account to upload videos to - and that might actually make videos appear in the activity lists, unlike the facebook ones due to permission stuff.

is there a way to set up a youtube account without using your google account name?

ckohler

Have they said yet what the blue dot next to the Friends Online number indicates? I'm assuming that shows you're online but I'd like some confirmation.

It depends of the game.

That's because the game is Suspended, and can no longer communicate with the server. When a client stops responding, you typically disconnect them after an appropriate timeout.

Pop

This a meaty update. Can't wait!

Youtube uploading and app will get used, Following streamers and searching for certain games is cool. Really everything in this update I will use quite often.

SharePlay though, man that will be killer.

DieH@rd

Banned
I highly doubt that's the reason, they probably want people to actually buy games instead of streaming from their mates console all the time.

Well of course. They dont want to make it too easy. Guests cant use their accounts on SharePlay games also, another minus.

But overall, service provides tons of value to everyone.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I'd probably just use a dummy youtube account to upload videos to - and that might actually make videos appear in the activity lists, unlike the facebook ones due to permission stuff.

is there a way to set up a youtube account without using your google account name?

That permissions thing is one of the biggest failings of sharing so far. Don't show it in my feed if it's not actually shared with me. What's the point?

Also, no Google+ posting of videos or anything, I wonder why not? THat's where most of the my tech/game oriented friends are anyway.

Because when you're downloading a 50 gb file, if you want to stop it to play an online game your only option was to cancel the download.
That isn’t true is it? Doesn’t it automatically stop downloads going on to prioritise the online game? Same as if you turn off your PS4 while downloading, it stops it automatically until you log on again.

Top Bottom