• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major PS4 System Software Update v2.0 Available NOW

Shin-Ra

Extra bits from the video.

Manual pause/resume downloads

15618655346_ed4444dfdd_b.jpg
15022286843_f6a232137d_b.jpg

USB music player

15642376205_647af69c86_b.jpg

Live from PlayStation archived video playback and Featured (friends and VIPs)

15021626094_71925e50c3_b.jpg

Livestream custom message (not just purple BG colour!)

15021626204_201375b2ca_b.jpg

Party Audio in Broadcast (think this is new)

15643205672_58a85328a0_b.jpg

Lots of new PlayStation Camera video settings

15456242308_0dfe7f815c_b.jpg
15643206092_79f4013335_b.jpg

How do you pause a download once it finishes its initial 10-20% and rest of it is done in the game? or is it going to be full download in XMB screen now?

Fuck yeah, this update is great for me. Very excite.

And half of the reason why I still use my PS3 is to watch Youtube videos (especially giant bomb quick looks). Having a native PS4 app will be really nice. Now they just need to match the media features of the PS3 and I'll be set.

edit: moved para to new post for discussion's sake.

Pillville

I did see that, but it mainly looked like visual tweaks instead of how it works.

I hate the fact I click PSN store and I get taken to the website which is poorly optimised for mobile devices.

This isn't going to change. The store launches in a browser because of this:
If an iOS app lets you buy something, it's considered an in-app purchase and Apple gets 30%.
If you buy it from the browser, Apple gets 0%.

(but that doesn't mean that they can't improve the mobile store site)

Geez, pause and resume. And when you think it's almost been a year it is a bit stupid we haven't had it until now. But for someone with a relatively small amount of bandwidth this is a godsend.

Cornbread78

I

For disc based games, it doesn't check until you start the game for the first time, even though it's installing the game.

Gottcha

I'm talking about the first time you put a new game in. Start the game and THEN it begins downloading an update. Quit game, wait for update to finish downloading, reboot game. That little song and dance is ridiculous. Just went through it last night with Driveclub.

Answered above. I only have a couple disk based games, so I guess I've never noticed before. However, this is only for the first time you put a disk in. After that, I now get the CoD/BF4 and KZ:SF updates automatically now...

Isn't this a PS+ feature?

Yes

They stay on the USB. I have a feeling it's due to the weird partitioning system the PS4 uses.
No upload to ps4. It only reads the music off USB drives.

I think it has to do with read/write speed for the internal drive.
Cant copy to Ps4, kinda sucks but i can live with it.

oh god, that is so so dumb...especially because the USB ports are in the front and there are only two of them.

I'm afraid to ask if custom backgrounds includes uploaded .jpgs or we have to use their canned themes from the store?

daveo42

Banned
I'm talking about the first time you put a new game in. Start the game and THEN it begins downloading an update. Quit game, wait for update to finish downloading, reboot game. That little song and dance is ridiculous. Just went through it last night with Driveclub.

This also happens when it's been a while since you've run a game. Played Octodad with a few friends over the weekend and it started a download as I started up the game. This is really a painful process.

Way too slow. Need to refresh the page to get new messagens and it usually takes a while

Hover's around 97-99% for awhile before sending the message off.

Sometimes (fairly often from my experience) it takes minutes to load up new messages, which is pretty ridinky-donk.

I wouldn't say that that's too much of an issue. As soon as you click Send and the progress bar appears you can just double click the PS button to go back to your game and enjoy your experience.

Huh, weird. I never ran into that problem.

Pillville

oh god, that is so so dumb...especially because the USB ports are in the front and there are only two of them.

I can understand this limitation since most games use the HD now, they probably guarantee the developers a certain read speed from the HD and they develop around this. Playing music from the HD would certainly slowdown the HD speed the game is assuming.

Daffy Duck

This isn't going to change. The store launches in a browser because of this:
If an iOS app lets you buy something, it's considered an in-app purchase and Apple gets 30%.
If you buy it from the browser, Apple gets 0%.

(but that doesn't mean that they can't improve the mobile store site)

Is that true? How does MS get away with it with SmartGlass then? I can guy games for my xbox one on that.

Pillville

Is that true? How does MS get away with it with SmartGlass then? I can guy games for my xbox one on that.

If you look closely, it's all in-app until you click the "Purchase" button, then it loads a web page to finalize your purchase.

It uses an in-app browser, but it's still being done from a web page and not in-app.

If some are having it and others aren't, I'm wondering what factors could impact this.

Size of friend list? Number of messages sent/received? Number of games on HDD?

Not sure what else there could be?

it happends alot to me too. I even checked the messages on the mobile app and it does the same. i think its just sonys slow servers..

Hagi

I would rather have had mp4 playback so i could watch videos from a HDD instead of mp3 ugh. Can't complain too much i guess seeing as we are finally getting paused downloads after a year lol maybe in another year I'll get that video player

If some are having it and others aren't, I'm wondering what factors could impact this.

Size of friend list? Number of messages sent/received? Number of games on HDD?

Not sure what else there could be?

Hmmm....I have my router setup for PSN like port forwarding, static ip, dmz, custom DNS settings etc... I don't know if that's why I never ran into those problems people have been talking about?

Daffy Duck

If you look closely, it's all in-app until you click the "Purchase" button, then it loads a web page to finalize your purchase.

It uses an in-app browser, but it's still being done from a web page and not in-app.

Well kudos to MS then because they integrated it very well into SmartGlass that I didn't even realise!

I still hate the process on the PS App, hopefully Sony can do something similar then, or at least sort the mobile page out.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
So by tomorrow does it mean the update would be available at midnight (PST)??

It's not here, simple as that, it will come hopefully but you don't need to keep asking the same question.

Isn't that done when you share items, I know it is when I upload to Facebook, I would assume the same when uploading to YouTube this time around. Sony doesn't store the images/videos on their servers and reference back to Facebook etc for the content.

Possibly. I don't have my PSN account tied to facebook so it'd be nice if they made that available to everyone.

Don't get my hopes up.

Pillville

Well kudos to MS then because they integrated it very well into SmartGlass that I didn't even realise!

I still hate the process on the PS App, hopefully Sony can do something similar then, or at least sort the mobile page out.

Besides MS having a better site, they wait until check out to exit the app, where Sony exits the app as soon as you want to browse the store.

PS: App -> EXIT TO BROWSER -> Store -> Check Out
MS: App -> Store -> EXIT TO BROWSER -> Check Out

DieH@rd

Banned
Will Remote Play work on any tablet ou smartphone now or only on Sony ones ?

For now only Xperia Z3 line, but other Xperia devices will most probably be supported soon.

As for others, android coders are already working on enabling Remote Play compatibility for all android devices.

Mengetsu

Pls have friend notifications...

It kills me that I have to stop what im doing to check to see who's online now and again....This feature was at the PS3 launch right? Why is it not here after a year? Give me all the updates you want but this is all I want out of my gaming console to know who's online and off :(

Ramza

Banned
For now only Xperia Z3 line, but other Xperia devices will most probably be supported soon.

As for others, android coders are already working on enabling Remote Play compatibility for all android devices.

Yep. It didn't take them long to make PS Mobile work on non Sony devices. Can't wait to try it out on my rooted G3 when they get it up and running.

It kills me that I have to stop what im doing to check to see who's online now and again....This feature was at the PS3 launch right? Why is it not here after a year? Give me all the updates you want but this is all I want out of my gaming console to know who's online and off :(

PS3 also had a hard limit of 50 friends at the time. It's a lot harder to implement with 1000+ friends since they also have to create categories and whatnot.

Pausing downloads? How useless.

Not for everyone, some of us have a download cap. Personally, I get free downloading from 2AM-8AM. Without being able to pause downloads, if they didn't complete by the morning I didn't really have much of a choice other than to turn off the system. When games are in the 50GB range and my cap is 150GB it's pretty important.

pop_tarts

Not sure about anyone else, but when ever my PS4 is in "Stand By" (The orange light is lit on the console)and I have my Playstation to download automatically when in Stand By. So why is it when I get home turn on the console that the updates are starting to download when I boot it up. I thought "download in Stand by" means that it would turn on at a point (like the PS3 did) download and then go back into stand by. Am I missing anything?

Cidd

Wait a minute, Can I use my own custom wallpapers?

because it sounds like I can only use the themes they're giving us.

Top Bottom