• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's new (added) mandate is 'Make epic games,' Spider-Man is just the beginning

A great Spider-Man game is all I've wanted for so many years, so excited this is happening.

I hope that we see a new Ultimate Alliance soon too. Or X-Men Legends! Loved those games.

fader

if MVC4 were to happen. there will be no X-Men. They barely made the cut in MVC3. and MVC without X-Men is like Street Fighter without Ryu.

Do not want...

kewlmyc

You've failed at your job if MvC4 isn't on the list. I'm sure Capcom is eager to make money.

if MVC4 were to happen. there will be no X-Men. They barely made the cut in MVC3. and MVC without X-Men is like Street Fighter without Ryu.

The lost of Wolvie, Storm, Sentinal, Doctor Footdive, and Magneto will hurt, but I can live with it as long as we get good replacements.

Some Nobody

Why can't the black man have his own game?

Let's be honest here: until the MCU happened, the only heroes that could get solo games regularly were Spider-Man and the Hulk. The instinct is to throw everyone into a generic team beat 'em up so everyone's happy, rather than spend money individually developing games based on each character.

This is the same reason I'd be willing to bet DC's next game is Justice League rather than Superman.

Even though exploring Wakanda would be the second most lit thing ever.
Most lit is Iron Man and War Machine rocketing over New York wrecking shit.

Sandfox

No lies detected

I'd love for him to have his own game, but it'd be like giving Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch their own game. Then again, you could do a lot with Wakanda.

Black Panther could carry a game better than those two, but I don't see him getting one for other reasons.

Neoxon

Not necessarily. The X-Men aren't nearly as popular as they used to be. The fact that Rocket Raccoon is better-known than Cyclops in the eyes of the average joe these days is a testament to that. Marvel could give Capcom access to a number of decent replacements for the lost Fox characters (Ex: Black Panther instead of Wolverine, Groot instead of Sentinel, Ultron instead of Magneto, Loki instead of Doctor Doom, etc.). But that being said, the exclusion of the Fox characters would piss off casual & hardcore gamers alike, & the last thing Capcom needs is to take the fall for Marvel's petty business practices.

Seriously though, the Arkham series got me thirsty for more Superhero games. I mean these properties are all over Film and Television. And they're perfect fits for gaming. Gimme ALL the Superhero games, please.

Neoxon

I would really like an X-Men fighting game again. Like Mutant Academy and Next Dimension.
There's a link in the first page (written by your's truly) explaining why we won't see the X-Men or F4 characters in any games for a good long while.

Ploid 3.0

Making games for Marvel isn't all sunshine and rainbows btw. Don't expect all devs to be frothing at the mouth to jump in on that. Every little detail has to be approved by them usually. It can be a headache and time consuming. Gazillion go through it a lot, but lucky for them they are pretty tied to the hip with Marvel and seem to have a good system of churning out new marvel content and fast. I'm surprised they aren't called Marvel Games or something by now.

It sucks when they get slaps on the wrist for trying to help the xmen characters out though. Especially since I like a lot of xmen charcters. They seemed to have gotten in big trouble for having a Fantastic Four event one week. R.I.P. non MCU, Inhuman, Spiderman, etc. type character I guess.

Neoxon

You've failed at your job if MvC4 isn't on the list. I'm sure Capcom is eager to make money.

The lost of Wolvie, Storm, Sentinal, Doctor Footdive, and Magneto will hurt, but I can live with it as long as we get good replacements.
I thought the same thing, & then I began to think that Capcom should wait it out. But seeing this article, it's starting to fill my heart with hype, which something that hasn't happened since the MvC3 Hype Train days (which only the Smash 4 Hype Train came close to).

KyleCross

So, does this mean Marvel is in control of games based on Marvel properties now? I'll never forgive Fox for fucking over Raven's Wolverine game by forcing them to tie it into the X-Men Origins: Wolverine film. The game still managed to be great, it could've been one of the best action games period if Fox had no influence.

Ploid 3.0

New Punisher game, DO IT

That would work so well in gaming.

This something I wonder if they are going to do in the future.

I would look forward to it, but they are getting pretty late with how long they are sitting on it. They have been working towards it it seems, with controller support, and streamlining the beginner experience with console like introductions and tweaks to the story mode.

Ultimate Alliance will probably beat them to the punch if they wait too long.

Neoxon

Making games for Marvel isn't all sunshine and rainbows btw. Don't expect all devs to be frothing at the mouth to jump in on that. Every little detail has to be approved by them usually. It can be a headache and time consuming. Gazillion go through it a lot, but lucky for them they are pretty tied to the hip with Marvel and seem to have a good system of churning out new marvel content and fast. I'm surprised they aren't called Marvel Games or something by now.

It sucks when they get slaps on the wrist for trying to help the xmen characters out though. Especially since I like a lot of xmen charcters. They seemed to have gotten in big trouble for having a Fantastic Four event one week. R.I.P. non MCU, Inhuman, Spiderman, etc. type character I guess.
Marvel can't really punish Gazillion directly since their license was obtained before Marvel enacted the X-Men/F4 ban. But from the sounds of it, Marvel's making the process of obtaining more X-Men/F4 characters in Marvel Heroes a bit harder, even though Gazillion technically can add whoever they want until 2019 (when their license expires & they have to renew).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fuck yes. Disney should join in too. They have a lot of franchises that could make great games.

Can't wait to see the Telltale Game. Spiderman looked incredible (although that probably was target render)

From what was said in the other thread its all real time and in game on a PS4. OF course we have heard that before but we had some people with Insomniac confirming it.

Neoxon

I'm thinking an epic fighting game where marvel characters fight capcom characters would be pretty sweet
ErqQeG.gif

Pachimari

Let the PROJECT TEKKEN team make a fighting game with all your heroes. And let Insomniac or Sucker Punch make a Daredevil game. Always wanted that. Maybe add in an Iron Man title and Marvel vs Capcom 4.

Ploid 3.0

Marvel can't really punish Gazillion directly since their license was obtained before Marvel enacted the X-Men/F4 ban. But from the sounds of it, Marvel's making the process of obtaining more X-Men/F4 characters in Marvel Heroes a bit harder, even though Gazillion technically can add whoever they want until 2019 (when their license expires & they have to renew).

It seemed like they got in some kind of trouble with the last Fantastic 4 event they had. They never did anything like that again. It was during the Fantastic 4 movie with the weird Doom.

A xmen event during the movie week would have been nice since the Civil War event was insane, though I didn't play many Civil War characters so the crazy bonuses for the characters were less beneficial for me.

That would work so well in gaming.

I would look forward to it, but they are getting pretty late with how long they are sitting on it. They have been working towards it it seems, with controller support, and streamlining the beginner experience with console like introductions and tweaks to the story mode.

Ultimate Alliance will probably beat them to the punch if they wait too long.
That would be sad if this happen.

Realistically they could probably package whatever they have now into a $60 product and it'd probably sell fairly well.

That is something I feel like they would do.

Great to hear. They have so many great licenses and it's sad to see them all wasted on iPhone endless runners with in-app purchases.

MikeyB

I really really want to see a new X-men action-adventure style game with co-op multiplayer.

Have Wolverine, Gambit, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Angel, Storm, Rogue, all the main x-men characters and have each of them be a playable character.
X-Men Legends 3. Yes, please.

Neoxon

i don't think Capcom has the budget to make anything "epic" these days anymore.
Technically they do, it's more of the fact that they aren't as brave with their cash. Street Fighter V would have happened either way, Sony only stepped in to speed up the process. Capcom plays things too safe for their own good.

Luke_Wal

I'm pretty sure I read in some Gaf thread that the surveys for that Telltale game were all about Guardians of the Galaxy. So expect that, maybe?

Marvel should work harder on obtaining their X-Men/F4 characters rather than making it harder for us to obtain them. I'd be down with that.

Neonep

There's a link in the first page (written by your's truly) explaining why we won't see the X-Men or F4 characters in any games for a good long while.
Yeah, I knew that. Doesn't stop me from wanting it. I do want a proper Daredevil game.

Neoxon

Marvel should work harder on obtaining their X-Men/F4 characters rather than making it harder for us to obtain them. I'd be down with that.
If you mean Marvel obtaining the X-Men/F4 movie rights, Deadpool being a box office hit pretty much guaranteed that Fox won't sell the X-Men rights anytime soon. Maybe Marvel can get Fox to budge for the Fantastic Four, but that's it. What Marvel's doing now is to minimize the exposure of the Fox characters in any way they can.

Kaizer

Banned
About damn time, gimme Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 or a badass Avengers game now Marvel! Also bring your Marvel MMO to consoles, I'd love to play it!

eizarus

Banned
3rd person espionage Winter Soldier title by Kojima Productions

Thor by Sony Santa Monica

Black Panther by Rocksteady

Squad based action Guardians of the Galaxy game by whoever.

Make it happen Sony!

Top Bottom