• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Confirms 53MHz GPU Speed Upgrade For Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last minute clock speed bumps trigger a red flag to me. You can't just increase it without taking a hit on hardware reliability. Microsoft should have learned their lesson from the 360.

Are you serious? It's a tiny oc over what was probably a very safe clock for yield/reliability's sake.
On pc these chips are ran at up to 1ghz out of the box.

50% difference translated to real world gains of up to 24% in actual game framerate, so a game running 40fps on XBO is running 49.6fps on PS4 with identical settings (According to Digital Foundry)

50% compute - 24% framerate difference
40% compute - X framerate difference

X = 19.2% framerate gains over XBO

So the same game running 40fps on XBO will run 47.7 fps on PS4... fuzzy math but in the end the difference between XBO and PS4 has shrunk a bit. Tweak shadows, lod or AA and devs can easily equalize the framerate with minimal loss is visual.
Oh god, those DF articles actually have an audience gullible enough.

EagleEyes

The last thing I am going to say about this is that MS is not making a big point out of it, lsiten to the podcast. It's the people that try to negate it as news worthy are making a bigger story out of it themselves.
Yep, exactly. You just need to ignore those people as their screen names are the exact same ones since the beginning of the year that have been nothing but negative in any X1 thread. They are already on my ignore list but unfortunately when somebody quotes them I see it lol.

That none of this matters.

Nonsense. Power is of course a factor here. It doesn't make sense to just look at it isolated and say it doesn't matter. You could say the same about price or exclusives or release date or... It's the combination of everything that matters.

Rumors about a minimal, possible GPU downclock = "Newsworthy, decision making stuff right there!! XBOX sux!"

Microsoft mentioning in a podcast the GPU has been increased = "Not news, means nothing!! Microsoft making a huge deal for PR spin. XBOX sux"

You are obviously exaggerating here, but the thing is, a downclock of something that wasn't that much powerful in the first place is of course more concerning than a single-digit percentage increase of something that wasn't much powerful in the first place.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man.

Yes, the most powerful console has typically ended up in second place or so (N64 did, Xbox did, PS3 did), but that wasn't because they were the most powerful! Believing that to be the case is so utterly ridiculous. There are countless other factors involved. Of course, being the most powerful usually means you are also the most expensive, which is of course a problem. Not so this time around. For the first time ever (?) the most powerful console is also the cheapest (not counting Wii U, but I don't think it is really part of this particular conversation).

That's not the issue.

The issues is that developers are greedy and only care about maximizing profit.

Developing for the lowest common denominator is cheapest as they can be sure it will run on the more powerful system with minimal time spent tweaking.

Develp for the most powerful, and more development time and resources are needed to scale things down so it will run fine on the less powerful console.

Granted, that should be easier this gen since the x1 and ps4 architectures are very similar, but I"m sure many/most will just be lazy as they're going to sell the same amount of Call of Duty's across the two platforms regardless of whether they look the same or one version looks a little better than the other. They couldn't care less if the PS4 versions old more than the X1 as it's all the same to them, so why waste any resources making that version look better?

tfur

That none of this matters. The whole conversation being had in this thread. None of it matters.

I feel you...

X7OVUD5.jpg

see5harp

I don't know if you're being obtuse or what but when a company is so completely out of touch with the consumer that they have to double back on what they were touting as the future of gaming that is a terrible thing. The same morons that devised such a terrible anti consumer campaign with such arrogance (besides Mattrick) are still with the company. It took them getting their asses handed to them in pre orders to realize what a terrible fucking idea their philosophy was in the first place. It was insane when Crazy Ken Kutaragi did it and it is insane now.

Here you are saying the original plans are dumb, which I agree with because I use gamefly. I am saying their decision to change their policy before release was probably a smart one. You have somehow convinced yourself that because their original plans were so bad, that it doesn't matter what the console and ecosystem is at launch. That's incredibly silly.

Except, that the "third console curse" is not true of every single console manufacturer in history, only Nintendo and Sony consoles.

Well MS has never made a third console until now?

I mean sony only just made their third console so certainly nitpicking

How come no one is talking about Cboat's post in the Destiny thread?

What does it mean? Can someone translate it?

It could be from World of Warcraft: When a player from the Horde, for example an Orc, says "lol" to an Alliance player, he only sees "kek", because they have different languages in the game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Except, that the "third console curse" is not true of every single console manufacturer in history, only Nintendo and Sony consoles.

Hey Rocco. Just like SmokyDave I'm interested in the poster that made the following posts:

Rumors about a minimal, possible GPU downclock = "Newsworthy, decision making stuff right there!! XBOX sux!"

Microsoft mentioning in a podcast the GPU has been increased = "Not news, means nothing!! Microsoft making a huge deal for PR spin. XBOX sux"

I think it's good to know where your fellow posters stand and I would like to be informed who holds these positions.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Even that is incorrect, Ps2 launched as the most expensive for that generation until the Xbox launched at the same price.

I think the correct statement is:-

"The most expensive and powerful console may or may not have never won a generation depending on the generation and the vertical time slice you choose as a data point."

It's catchy and has a ring to it...

That none of this matters. The whole conversation being had in this thread. None of it matters.
You must be relatively new in gaming because the PS2 killed the dreamcast before it was even released, just with it's higher power potential. So yes, it does matter.

SmokyDave

Hey Rocco. Just like SmokyDave I'm interested in the poster that made the following posts:

I think it's good to know where your fellow posters stand and I would like to be informed who holds these positions.
I think he must be off grabbing the links for us.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No. I've got ten more minutes before I go to lunch.
Thanks for using those to click on the Plus sign to reveal the post ID so we can see who made the posts you quoted.

Edit: I guess it will never be revealed who made those posts now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom