• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Military personnel on Xbox One; Microsoft responds

BigDug13

So why not just get PS4s?

None are backcompatible anyways.

Not american enough?

Oh they will. But it's still baffling to me that the only console maker that is American is the only console maker that is unable to support the military with their console.

Raide

Your point is 100% valid, but look at it this way:

If MS doesn't respect the Americsn military, then who do they respect?

It's not so much the loss of buyers among the military personnel, but the Image problem this creates. The US has this huge cultural veneration for their (active) troops, so any policy that is perceived as harmful or disrespectful against them is also going to affect buying behaviour in the US.

Fair enough.

Personally I do hope MS has a good long look at all of their polices and slowly do something to redact them. Maybe the plan is to announce everything and then slowly make good, thus repairing their relationship in the users eyes that they are not all that evil. Maybe. :D

Meier

The Rachel Maddow tweet is kinda nuts. This thing is hitting critical mass. They won't be able to take body blows for 5 months.

DC1

Not to defend Microsoft, but the military will not be able to play a lot of games on the PS4 either due the industry wide move to online only contents and dedicated servers. Across the board the military WILL be getting a worse experience than last generation.
Hmmm.....they only played SP mode and local multiplayer. Those options will be available in next gen and beyond that.

MarkusRJR

OK, going to voice a question...

1.4 million...in the grand scheme of console sales, will it really matter? Does the military really add that much to their overall sales to make this anything other than another PR mess-up?
Didn't someone in an earlier Xbone say approximately 65% of Xbox 360's are connected to the internet, and of those 65% connected consoles, only 50% or so are paying for Xbox Gold? If so, that 1.5 million aren't going to be the only ones having issues with the Xbone. What the fuck went through MS's heads to think this was a logical decision?

Speevy

Banned
You're kidding right?

XBL may set the standard for what speed and connectivity within the console market should be but to think the 360 is, "driving the industry" is laughable.

If you're not going to read what my posts actually say, please don't bother responding.

Does anyone want to bet me that the Xbone won't outsell the PS4 this holiday season? Any takers?

I'll gladly eat crow.

thumb

Banned
Yes, I referred to the US market several times, which is the market that determines significant Western developer support.

More specifically, it determines the developer support that drives Microsoft's business.

Okay, sorry I missed that qualification. I agree with you that the US market is very important regardless. I'm less confident about who will initially lead in sales there, however.

Dennis

Banned
untitled-3gvb11.gif

Nice twirl EviLore, now use the eraser to get rid of Microsoft.

Eric C

Sony should donate some launch units to the military. It'd be great PR.

Oh, and fuck MS if they make exceptions for anyone else and screw normal people. They can go to hell even harder.

Exactly my opinion.

Don't have the restrictions for anyone, and then by default you don't screw over the military.

Proelite

Hmmm.....they only played SP mode and local multiplayer. Those options will be available in next gen and beyond that.

Titanfall, BF4 and a lot of mp shooters that rely on dedicated servers will not have a local mp mode.

lbk62

I can only say DAMN YOU MICROSOFT

i have a lot of 360 games, i love it, i have joysticks, controllers, etc etc

and right now i say to you GOODBYE

In this exactly moment i have placed a pre order for the ps4 and saying to all my friends to get one.

So long Microsoft.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
says right here they will have a workaround for them to play so long as game is activated once and no subsequent 24 hour check, they are just not giving details
thats great in all, but what happens when they are deployed for 6, 12 or 18 months? Lot of games come out in those months. They wont have anyway of activating unless they send their console back home have someone login as them and "install" the game and then have them ship it all back.

alstein

Eh, they can shoot people and die themselves for free and in real life. What do they need vidyagames for?

You'd be surprised how popular some genres are among military folks. Civ games were really popular in my unit, and JRPGs.
Daaamn. It's a testament to

1. how bad Microsoft has truly screwed up this thing, and
2. what balls Maddow has

when you consider the first two letters of her employer's name.
MIcrosoft got out of MSNBC last year.

Sean*O

It won't. I keep telling you guys this. Microsoft is white-hot right now, and they're going to steamroll this holiday season, whether we hate their machine or not.

You crazy. Microsoft is drunk off their own farts and is going beyond just pissing off gamers now, they are about to start turning people off to their entire brand and become a universally despised company. Like, a take your 360s and OS's and Surfaces and WinPhones and go to hell kind of company.

It won't. I keep telling you guys this. Microsoft is white-hot right now, and they're going to steamroll this holiday season, whether we hate their machine or not.

It will most likely sell out at launch, but I don't think it has a hope in hell of outselling the PS4 Worldwide(or anywhere that is outside the US).

If you're not going to read what my posts actually say, please don't bother responding.

Does anyone want to bet me that the Xbone won't outsell the PS4 this holiday season? Any takers?

I'll gladly eat crow.

I will. Avatar bet for 3 weeks . Total WW sales till the end of December.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is epic, and we are so far away from launch. By then even my mom will know Xbox One is - something she doesn't understand - evil.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sony has an offline system, it's called the PS4.

Eusis

No one is saying to take away digital downloading...
Yeah, if that's what I wanted I'd STILL get PS4, because at least then I can play them still when the servers are down for whatever reason. X1's actually for the ones who want to eat cake and have it too, to have that amazing library on shelves AND all of it on their console at all times. Or most of it anyway, probably need to stick a 4 TB hard drive in the back to be set for life.

The Rachel Maddow tweet is kinda nuts. This thing is hitting critical mass. They won't be able to take body blows for 5 months.

Yeah, will be very interesting to see where they go from here. I know there's a rumour of them offering personnel special consoles, but I don't believe that will really cut it, especially with Kinect in tow...

BigDug13

I'll gladly eat crow.

Riiiight. The console that is heavily supply constrained, is $100 more expensive, is getting massive media coverage about how much it sucks, is WEAKER, and is being pushed not as hard at retailers as PS4 due to their damaging of store profits from used sales is going to outsell the PS4. You might want to start getting your condiments ready.

I'll gladly eat crow.

Your saying you thinking Xbone will outsell PS4 at launch?
Shoot man were not allowed to do ban bets but Ill take those odds any day of the week.

gaming_noob

Good points, but I do think the opporunity is there for them to come back from the brink. A price cut or value added along with a firm commitment to remove the 24hr check in would see the backlash soften, but it won't repair the significant damage that's already been done.

I'm not sure what they could do to repair that, perhaps give everyone a year of free gold along with a game of their choice? Would it work? People can be very forgiving when they are given free shit...

They certainly need all this negative attention to improve on their next product. They need to change their culture and strategy. Stop charging indies $40,000 for a patch. Stop building inferior products and expect it to break out in popularity by sheer $$ spent on marketing and deceive their customers. Start looking to provide value to customers first instead of new ways to bill them; Why should I have to pay $10 to change my gamertag??? They really need a new leader.

I'm with you. I primarily prefer the Playstation, but I've had great times with my 360 this generation. There have been some undeniably fantastic games, and having another generation of Xbox games sounds freaking great. But not like this. :(

Yep same here

I prefer playstation but loved some Xbox exclusives

If MS reverse these policies I will likely get an X1 assuming they can't just implement them again

There's no way that Sony doesn't take advantage of this somehow, right? Maybe they won't donate, but they could offer a big discount or something.

Didn't they sell the military like 2000/3000 PS3's a few years ago to build a supercomputer? Playstation must already have some relationship with the military from that.

thumb

Banned

I'll gladly eat crow.

Hmmm. I'll take you up on that bet. I don't think I have your confidence, but the PS4 does seem to have a significant PR lead at the moment. Can you define the "holiday" time period specifically and what you will use for sourcing sales?

Also, how about we make the bet for a friendly $5 Amazon gift certificate?

On a side note people that react to legitimately negative news about their console by doing the playground "Oh yeah I bet my brother can beat you up" is hilarious.

Amir0x

Banned
Didn't someone in an earlier Xbone say approximately 65% of Xbox 360's are connected to the internet, and that of those 65%, only 50% or so are paying for Xbox Gold? If so, that 1.5 million aren't going to be the only ones having issues with the Xbone.

47 million Xbox 360 owners have either a Gold and Silver account and connect to the internet through them. The rest of the users - a full 30 million - have neither accounts and hardly ever connect to the internet whatsoever. This is the tip of the iceberg, and when you factor in the number of people who got a Wii and a PS3 and also never accessed the internet, the staggering figures suggest Microsoft was willing to write off just an incalculably huge amount of potential customers. For nothing in return, because their One business model makes zero sense as well!

It's such a fucked up mess.

I don't think that's possible. It would be a matter of months before those systems got out to the public rendering half of their XBL shit useless.

Yea, I was skeptical too, but they definitely did say that...

That was a "Polygon source" a while back when they were in full on damage control mode after their reveal. It might be true, but with those quotes from PR...

Yeah I don't believe anything from Microsoft anymore, but I can't imagine they'd let themselves get stuck under this potential PR nightmare. If the "American console" is caught being super unfriendly to the troops? With the political environment being what it is? It's suicide.

Saw this coming a mile away. It's pretty shocking how much gaming goes on in the military and (especially) the Navy. Sony should literally just send free PS4s to various US and EU bases.

I'm a PC master race gamer so I won't be buying either of the two next gen systems this gen, and normally don't pay much attention to consoles...but I must say I'm shocked at how MS has handled this. This rollout is already being discussed in business schools, and I'm sure many papers will be written about it in the coming years (assuming MS doesn't retreat). They have basically created an America Box, and even that name isn't completely accurate considering there are tons of areas throughout the US with limited internet (especially during the winter).

If Sony courts the military too, it's beyond over - it's starts becoming a massacre at that point.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I am looking foward to installing my games and - having a nice clean shelf next gen.

If you people stop this, then there will be hell.

How many games do you think you'll fit on a 500GB HDD?

Top Bottom