• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft VR poisoning the well (Polygon, Toms Hardware etc)

Mindwipe

unfortunately there's not much they can do to fix this. current FPS games really aren't suited to seated VR.

There's plenty they could do to significantly reduce the effect. Change the player avatar from a person to a floating magic pod thing with a person sat inside. It floats off the ground, and has significantly softer movement, including falling, because it's a magic flying thing. And it would have a cockpit. That doesn't have to have a radical gameplay change and is relatively easy to do, and would significantly improve the issues.

Sitting in a 3D environment playing a 2D game is also gonna kill VR pretty dead, because people will think it's really, really boring.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
there has to be some way to handle movement through a world that is more than just teleporting though. I don't know what is so fundamentally different with minecraft that'd make it do this, or it is just one of the first examples of walking around freely so it is surfacing issues other games will also have. If it is just the way you move - eg head bob or speed, then they could adapt that. I'd rather have minecraft with slower walking or different locomotion than based on teleportation

I know you design around the limitations of VR, but I really want some games where you can properly explore.

I don't want people to misuse the term 'shoehorn'. It doesn't mean no existing games can be adapted for VR. This game should be a good candidate if adapted properly.

One thing is the difference in weight and how the camera behaves. Takes a Killzone or a Battlefield and suchforth and you feel the weight. Meanwhile in a Half-Life or Minecraft you're just skating around with no resistance and it just feels wrong. Your body knows its wrong, its not a camera, it cant just phase around like that.

Also additionally it seems that 4D Samsung headphone stuff will be the next step to make VR even more immersive and feel real if it can seemingly stimulate your cochlea as it seems to be reported.

They've repeatedly stated that if something can't be made to run perfectly on PSVR, it gets cut out. A health-issues-free experience is of paramount importance, which is why you see stuff like mandatory time-outs implemented in kid-friendly stuff like Golem.

I think extrapolating so much just from Golem is perhaps a little bit much?

shandy706

Slap a warning on that bad boy and let her go.

Edit* Or simply slow-down falling and jumping motions (I imagine falling is much worse). Allow the image to be processed more easily rather than it being a flash of speed.

If people are getting violently ill while attempting to play on foot FPS this is a problem. You can't just release a product that makes people projectile vomit. even if it's half the population....or a third. or a quarter. Even if one out of eight people experience severe nausea while playing minecraft in first person, you can bet there will be no first person minecraft on psvr. People will sue. Seriously though, how common is this? Have I been shielded from it by HYPEGAF?

I'm not sure if you're asking how common is this in VR, or in VR Minecraft/FPS games. For the latter, nausea is fairly common. Any game that has you running a virtual body with an analogue stick or mouse is going to be a problem for a lot of people. VR in general though, it's not really a concern (other than from a design perspective). Devs have been well aware of this for years and the vast majority of games coming out design around it with a variety of methods (third person, cockpit, room scale, teleportation etc). Most games are designed to not make you sick.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Slap a warning on that bad boy and let her go.

What purpose would that have when the mode is basically unplayable for long stretches due to your senses not matching up?

The aim of this entire VR thing is to be able to used with actual games, not five-minute tech demos. If the experience is awkward, nauseating and uncomfortable to use, there's no point of shipping the game with it as a primary input method.

I actually do appreciate having the option to be honest, I played around 3 hours of Portal 2 in VR, controlling the character with a pad and very basic head tracking and it was a fine and engrossing experience.

To be honest, at this point in time Im more excited about playing old games in VR with 3D wrappers than most of the small games/demos I have seen.

Zalusithix

A question for those having experienced a CV1 or DK2.

Does Oculus still have a menu, where you have to input the eye distance? In the DK1 you had to input the eyedistance, so it will not lead to nausea and similar things, but on conventions they just used the average one.

The reason this was a software setting before was the DK2 and earlier were single screen devices. With the current use of two independent screens on both the Rift and Vive, the IPD adjustment has become a physical thing.

Edit: Actually scratch that, games should still need to know the IPD for correct placement of the virtual cameras. Physical value probably gets fed in from the HMD adjustment.

Why not just throw up a disclaimer or something before you go into Full Immersion Mode? "Many users have become nauseous in this setting, if you feel yourself becoming sick please remove the headset, take a break, and switch to cinema mode." Something like that.

No reason to deny the option to people who can cope with it.

shandy706

What purpose would that have when the mode is basically unplayable for long stretches due to your senses not matching up?

The aim of this entire VR thing is to be able to used with actual games, not five-minute tech demos. If the experience is awkward, nauseating and uncomfortable to use, there's no point of shipping the game with it as a primary input method.

theysavedlisasbrain4.png

:p

The majority will become motion sick. I've been demoing VR experiences on stands many times now over the last two years and FPS experiences creates that result in the majority. Even if it produced motion sickness in 'only' 10% that's a way too high number. Offer an obfuscated mode hidden behind security messages for people like yourself but don't (significantly) damage the majority.

Unless you were keeping tallies of how many people tried the experience and how many people felt motion sick, you'll forgive me for not taking your 'majority' claim as a fact. I've also demoed VR to a lot of people, but you'll notice, I make no such claims. Some got motion sick, some didn't.

Oculus will continue to rate games by a comfort level. Just as they do on Oculus Home on the Gear VR. I don't see the need for anything more than that. We all want VR to succeed. People may well be wrong to want first person games controlled by analogue sticks, but they want that. Letting them see for themselves that it's not the best solution in many cases isn't that bad.

And there are those of us that love it. By the sounds of things, this defaults to the home theatre mode. People who jump into first person and start feeling horrible, will jump back to the home theater most likely. Or play something else.

I've heard from the people demoing Adr1ft that most people *don't* get motion sick playing it, and that's probably the worst case scenario I can think of. Maybe they're wrong. Maybe you're right... but throwing around absolutes or claims that most people do or don't get motion sick doesn't help anyone.

People want this option. Some of those people will change their mind once they play a game that uses it. Some of us already know we won't.

VR is something that's going to find an audience either way, and I honestly think that in time, more and more people will be comfortable with artificial locomotion (just as apparently over time, car sickness has become less and less a problem). It'll never fully go away. Already there are people who get motion sick playing FPS games on standard displays, so I'm sure there will always be more people who get sick playing the same kind of game in VR...

Building things in minecraft is a perfect fit for roomscale VR, and I hope we see it. Exploring minecraft worlds that other people have made is something I'm going to want to do without having to resort to teleporting everywhere.

VR is going to have disclaimers left right and center. I don't see any need to bury options. Just don't default into the thing that's more likely to make people motion sick.

Temple Run VR on the Gear VR has one of the lowest comfort ratings on the store. It's also one of the most played titles on the platform.

Why not just throw up a disclaimer or something before you go into Full Immersion Mode? "Many users have become nauseous in this setting, if you feel yourself becoming sick please remove the headset, take a break, and switch to cinema mode." Something like that.

No reason to deny the option to people who can cope with it.
Because actually making people sick is a non-starter and everyone who is being realistic knows that.

I'm sure, if the base experience is worthwhile, you would slowly get used to it, just like you would to zero gravity situations with no up and down - might be a long headache on the way, but the more used one gets to VR the less headache and nausea we'll get even with bad VR titles.

Sidenote: Can't wait for the Trackmania Turbo first person-look VR impressions from "normal" people who try it, especially if they have that free-turning chair on a robot arm again.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I wouldn't call this poisoning the well, I'd call it putting a sign on the well saying, "Poisonous." Fix the well and the sign will go away.

Nonsense. All people with epilepsy constantly sue console makers too?

one in 8 people dont have epilepsy lol. It's a relatively rare condition which from the sounds of it is not the case with VR and first person nausea. That why I'm asking, how common is this? I don't have time for Defensive VR idiots, I just want some facts.

I've played Doom 3 and Half Life 2 in VR for hours at a time without issue.

I've not seen any good data on how common it is for people to get motion sick from such titles, but it is apparent to me that at least in people who haven't spent a lot of time with a headset on, that it is more likely to make people motion sick. How much can they adjust to it? Can anyone fully overcome it?

Again, I haven't seen any good data on these things. But I can tell you that Doom 3 and Half Life 2 in VR were some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Sucks if they make you motion sick... but don't deny those of us that it doesn't. If devs want to target those of us that can hack it, back off. We want it.

I'm sure, if the base experience is worthwhile, you would slowly get used to it, just like you would to zero gravity situations with no up and down - might be a long headache on the way, but the more used one gets to VR the less headache and nausea we'll get even with bad VR titles.

Sidenote: Can't wait for the Trackmania Turbo first person-look VR impressions from "normal" people who try it, especially if they have that free-turning chair on a robot arm again.
Trackmania shouldn't be too bad at all. Well, without robot arms anyways. You are locked relative to the car, like there is a boom coming out the back of it which you are attached to. In other words, the car is always fixed relative to you, so whether you are upside down or spinning through the air, or whatever, the car always 'remains still'.

I've played Trackmania 2 in VR a bunch. It's a blast.

one in 8 people dont have epilepsy lol. It's a relatively rare condition which from the sounds of it is not the case with VR and first person nausea. That why I'm asking, how common is this? I don't have time for Defensive VR idiots, I just want some facts.

I've not seen any good data. Your first experiences with such titles in VR are much more likely to make you motion sick. You can get used to it, at least to a point.

The consumer headsets should be less nausea inducing than the Gear VR, DK1 or DK2, but we have less experience with the PSVR, the Rift and the Vive to know for sure. It's basically impossible to predict without putting the headset on yourself and trying out a few different experiences. And then it's even harder to know if you'll be able to build up much tolerance over time.

Trackmania shouldn't be too bad at all. Well, without robot arms anyways. You are locked relative to the car, like there is a boom coming out the back of it which you are attached to. In other words, the car is always fixed relative to you, so whether you are upside down or spinning through the air, or whatever, the car always 'remains still'.

I've played Trackmania 2 in VR a bunch. It's a blast.

It was more of a joke, but I could see Trackmania having(edit: "causing") problems with framerate and motion blur effects in your peripheral vision when you're driving very fast along detailed objects that are close to the track border

Diffense

I can get motion sick playing some ordinary first person games so I suspect that I'd get motion sickness in VR.

IMO, the technology is still unsuitable for general games. In many of the games built for VR the player is stationary, possibly warping to different locations. Locomotion is an issue because you don't have unlimited space in the real world (even with room-scale VR) to mirror a large virtual space 1-1. Apparently, the unnatural visual cues that you're moving when your inner ear says you're actually stationary is a recipe for motion sickness.

I still think it's a cool novelty but not generally applicable yet.

It was more of a joke, but I could see Trackmania having(edit: "causing") problems with framerate and motion blur effects in your peripheral vision when you're driving very fast along detailed objects that are close to the track border

Trackmania 2 didn't have any problems. But obviously depending on your hardware, your mileage will vary. Nadeo games tend to be very well optimized and capable of hitting high framerates though, generally, and they've been experimenting with stereoscopic output (and VR support) in their engine for years.

throwing around absolutes or claims that most people do or don't get motion sick doesn't help anyone.

I agree with this, there isn't really any solid number you can put on this because every game is different. You can't say "FPS make 90% of people sick", because there will obviously be a big difference between, say, Quake or Mirrors Edge and Gone Home. You can't ignore factors like walking speed or the tightness of turning/moving or the scale of the environment and potential vertigo-inducing heights. They all play a factor, which is why it makes sense to have a comfort rating because different games will effect more or less people and to different degrees. I don't recall hearing any of the -- what must be 20+ people that played the slow paced FP horror game Affected on the react channel -- complain about sickness, and in my experience none of my friends had any problem with that game either.

That said this type of game is the primary cause of motion sickness, so developers should really design around it when possible and a game of Minecrafts popularity should really have a more comfortable alternative (aside from theater mode, which isn't what people really want from VR Minecraft)

Trackmania 2 didn't have any problems. But obviously depending on your hardware, your mileage will vary. Nadeo games tend to be very well optimized and capable of hitting high framerates though, generally, and they've been experimenting with stereoscopic output (and VR support) in their engine for years.

Yea, I've written that kinda bad, sorry. What I meant is not unstable framerate or framerate drops, but the effect that you have in real life. When speeding alongside objects close to you, there will a natural motion blur effect, because it's too fast for your eyes, just like waving your hand in front of your eyes very fast. I don't think games really have that effect figured out yet (I could be wrong, never played something that was going at 160mph through narrow environments in VR). Momentarily they only simulate it because without it, a racing game will look a lot slower. With only a screen in front of you and not around you, getting these speed sensing effects wrong will not cause much of a problem for players. The effect might need to be different at different framerates as well.

Even if one out of eight people experience severe nausea while playing minecraft in first person, you can bet there will be no first person minecraft on psvr. People will sue. Seriously though, how common is this? Have I been shielded from it by HYPEGAF?

Nonsense. All people with epilepsy constantly sue console makers too?

But you have time for such questions?

It is obviously irrelevant how many people get nausea from VR for a legal action. Because it would have no chance of success even if 4/5 of people get nausea.

That people get nausea from VR has been discussed here and all over the internet for years now. There is no empirical data. By the way: Many people get nausea from simple ego shooters (without 3D or VR).

jax

Banned
Is anyone else kind of excited to get motion sick? I've tried every VR headset and have never actually had this feeling.. But that sounds awesome. "Yeah I played VR 4 hours last night so I'm sick now" .. So rad.

Is anyone else kind of excited to get motion sick? I've tried every VR headset and have never actually had this feeling.. But that sounds awesome. "Yeah I played VR 4 hours last night so I'm sick now" .. So rad.

No. No I am not excited about the prospect of getting motion sickness.

I expect it to happen on occasion though.

Yea, I've written that kinda bad, sorry. What I meant is not unstable framerate or framerate drops, but the effect that you have in real life. When speeding alongside objects close to you, there will a natural motion blur effect, because it's too fast for your eyes, just like waving your hand in front of your eyes very fast. I don't think games really have that effect figured out yet (I could be wrong, never played something that was going at 160mph through narrow environments in VR). Momentarily they only simulate it because without it, a racing game will look a lot slower. With only a screen in front of you and not around you, getting these speed sensing effects wrong will not cause much of a problem for players. The effect might need to be different at different framerates as well.

The higher HZ your display, the less you need motion blur. I've not been able to try VR at 90 hz though yet myself though.

Hoo-doo

Banned

It just means the VR isn't properly implemented, so no, it really doesn't excite me.

Walking around in the real world shouldn't make one nauseous. Neither should walking around in a virtual one.

Alo0oy

Banned
Can't they just put the character in a mech suit to temporarily solve the problem? Kinda like Rigs is doing multiplayer FPS?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
jaxapollo said:
"Yeah I played VR 4 hours last night so I'm sick now" .. So rad.
It's not so rad if you spend the next hour hugging the toilet bowl (and yes, that happens to some people too).

Can't they just put the character in a mech suit to temporarily solve the problem? Kinda like Rigs is doing multiplayer FPS?
Yeaaa! A sick mining mech in minecroft lol
ultra-gore mod incoming.

The higher HZ your display, the less you need motion blur. I've not been able to try VR at 90 hz though yet myself though.
Would 120Hz be enough to go without motion blur effects even at 300mph in a high-detailed tunnel? Is that the absolute maximum of the human eye?
Edit: I think even for 144Hz monitors nVidia has an app to dial-in the motion blur effects. nVidia Light-SoAndSo (edit2: nVidia LightBoost, and I remembered the use of it wrong, sorry, it's about eliminating bleeding-blur and flicker) don't remember the name or is that just for unstable framerates?

elyetis

I have zero problems playing a fast paced game like Quake in VR. Why should people like me be denied the option of playing it from a first person perspective?

This is a perfect middle ground. It lets people who can't handle first person stuff yet (because at least some people will adjust... I know some won't) still enjoy the game, but it doesn't hamstring it for people like me that don't get sim sick so easily.
That.

It's not that I want to see VR get bad publicity, but I let's not put huge bundaries like that on VR just because of it.

Kareha

All this talk of VR upsets me as I cannot use it. The last time I tried Oculus I puked up after 5 minutes of use :(

All this talk of VR upsets me as I cannot use it. The last time I tried Oculus I puked up after 5 minutes of use :(

That's probably going to be me. I'm really excited about VR but I am afraid it will hit me like a ton of bricks. Any type of physical spinning makes me nauseated, I am afraid that will carry over in the VR world too.

As far as minecraft goes, I am surprise this is an issue but it's not for something like Rigs or games where you are in a "cockpit".

Yeaaa! A sick mining mech in minecroft lol

ultra-gore mod incoming.

Would 120Hz be enough to go without motion blur effects even at 300mph in a high-detailed tunnel? Is that the absolute maximum of the human eye?
Edit: I think even for 144Hz monitors nVidia has an app to dial-in the motion blur effects. nVidia Light-SoAndSo (edit2: nVidia LightBoost, and I remembered the use of it wrong, sorry, it's about eliminating bleeding-blur and flicker) don't remember the name or is that just for unstable framerates?

Okay, let me give a more indepth answer. In VR you really don't want artificial motion blur of any kind at all, at least until someone figures out eye tracking. You certainly don't want motion blur coming from head movement under any circumstances.

In the real world there isn't motion blur in the sense there is in games or cameras. Our eyes don't work like cameras. Motion blur is a great way of making movement look smoother in a video game or of making a game look cinematic.

When you turn your head, you're always subconsciously locking onto a series of fixed points in order to keep your bearing. When something is flying past you at high speed, you might track it with your eyes to bring it into focus, or you might remain looking at the back ground.

Since you'll have 1:1 scale on the world, you won't need artificial depth of field either. When you focus (though technically, you aren't changing focus, you're just converging your eyes) on something up close, the background will blur anyways, and vice versa.

The only time it really makes sense to simulate camera effects in VR is if you're supposedly piloting a vehicle or rig of some sort that uses cameras to see. That goes for being blinded when coming out of a dark area (the OLED displays in the headsets will be capable of showing detail at very low and very high brightnesses). That goes for lens flares. That goes for chromatic aberration.

If something is blurred because the game has decided it is, and you can't focus on it as your brain expects, that's only going to cause issues.

Zalusithix

Okay, let me give a more indepth answer. In VR you really don't want artificial motion blur of any kind at all, at least until someone figures out eye tracking. You certainly don't want motion blur coming from head movement under any circumstances.

In the real world there isn't motion blur in the sense there is in games or cameras. Our eyes don't work like cameras. Motion blur is a great way of making movement look smoother in a video game or of making a game look cinematic.

When you turn your head, you're always subconsciously locking onto a series of fixed points in order to keep your bearing. When something is flying past you at high speed, you might track it with your eyes to bring it into focus, or you might remain looking at the back ground.

Since you'll have 1:1 scale on the world, you won't need artificial depth of field either. When you focus (though technically, you aren't changing focus, you're just converging your eyes) on something up close, the background will blur anyways, and vice versa.

The only time it really makes sense to simulate camera effects in VR is if you're supposedly piloting a vehicle or rig of some sort that uses cameras to see. That goes for being blinded when coming out of a dark area (the OLED displays in the headsets will be capable of showing detail at very low and very high brightnesses). That goes for lens flares. That goes for chromatic aberration.

If something is blurred because the game has decided it is, and you can't focus on it as your brain expects, that's only going to cause issues.

You forgot DoF in your list of camera effects that don't belong in VR.

Nevermind, I'm blind... bad quick reading at work!

Edit: As long as I've made a useless post, I'll attempt to give it some value by with bringing up the fact that light field displays will allow true focusing in the (distant) future. To those unfamiliar with them, unlike traditional displays they recreate the light that our eyes would normally receive from a given scene. Light received from distant objects is thus different than the light received from near objects. This allows the eye to focus naturally at any point within the scene.

Crispy75

the guy in the video said it felt uncomfortable any time he was moving. Maybe there is something fundamentally odd/wrong with how minecraft handles motion generally. He says it feels digital - full speed or stop - which should be ok (no acceleration). So whats up with it?

Remember, acceleration is a vector, ie. a change in speed and/or direction. Therefore rotating on the spot with a controller is enough to trigger nausea due to the disconnect with your vestibular system.

Any FP game with rotation on the controller is going to suffer from this.

Not with this VR tech. The screens are focused at infinity and all objects appear equally sharp regardless of distance. This vergence/focus disconnect can be another source of nasuea, which is why it's not recommended for devs to shove things right in the player's face.

I have an iron stomach, in fact I like to try to make myself sick in the zero-g space game Escape Velocity by spinning uncontrollably. I'm sure I'd have no problem with Minecraft VR and I hope it doesn't get cancelled because of this.

la_briola

This is not a new phenomenon, everyone that tried first person "shooter" type games like HL2 will tell you the same.

What does work are cockpit (tank/aircraft) type games, because you are always stationary and never move your virtual body.

You want room scale VR (vive) for games where you move your virtual body, so your physical movement can be mapped directly (or an approximation of that) to your virtual one.

Zaptruder

Banned
They need a couple different comfort modes that the user can toggle on/off.

My recommendations;

Cloud step. Bad for immersion, but no vection, no nausea.

For those that don't know - it involves teleporting players forward in small increments rather than showing the flow of points across the retina as normal movement does.

Stereo on/off function. No stereo means that things appear to be large and far away, and the movement is just arbitrary projection. Again, not the best for immersion, but helps with motion sickness.

And probably the most reasonable is fixed point of reference - which is the cockpit thing that people are talking about. Except you don't need a cockpit - just the room/chaperone bounds overlaid is sufficient to do the same thing.

Tunneling is also a pretty swell solution, and that's in house... so if nothing else, they need that!

Durante

The solution is thankfully really simple: Just drop the full-immersion mode completely!
That's a very console-mindset "solution".

I think an option existing for the people who want to (and can) make use of it is much better than no option existing at all. I for one greatly enjoyed playing e.g. The Witness in VR, even if it is hardly optimized for that. Put it behind a command line parameter or something if you are worried about the general public's impressions.

For people who want to experience completely nausea-free VR there are plenty of other options -- the best at this point in time obviously being room-scale.

This is not a new phenomenon, everyone that tried first person "shooter" type games like HL2 will tell you the same.

Cockpit (tank/aircraft) games work best, as you are always stationary and never move your virtual body.

You want room scale VR (vive) for games where you move your virtual body, so your physical movement can be mapped directly (or an approximation of that) to your virtual one.
This is generally true if you want to achieve nausea-free gameplay for everyone. But direct control VR is still useful for easy adaptions of existing games for those of us who can deal with it.

la_briola

[...]
This is generally true if you want to achieve nausea-free gameplay for everyone. But direct control VR is still useful for easy adaptions of existing games for those of us who can deal with it.

I agree. There is no reason to not let people ride a roller-coaster, only because I get sick.

Choice is good.

Seiru

Banned
I'd be interested to know whether their implementation of VR for Minecraft is actually bad, or if it's just a bad reaction from people who are previewing it. I thought Carmack was working on Minecraft VR (or was it just mobile Minecraft VR)? I wouldn't think he'd let anything slide.

No joke, I had to go to an eye doctor and start wearing glasses a few months after getting the 3ds. I have a stigmatism. Could be completely unrelated to the 3ds, but I can't look at the 3d on that system without my eyes hurting. Not touching VR with a ten foot pole.

Sounds like the 3DS actually helped you diagnose the problem!

But as long as the VR device you buy has space for you to wear glasses under it (or has the option to adjust the optics to compensate for astigmatism) then I think you'll be perfectly fine with VR.

Crispy75

I'd be interested to know whether their implementation of VR for Minecraft is actually bad, or if it's just a bad reaction from people who are previewing it. I thought Carmack was working on Minecraft VR (or was it just mobile Minecraft VR)? I wouldn't think he'd let anything slide.

The problem is not unique to Minecraft, but is common to all FP games that are "ported" to VR. That porting is the first mistake. It's just particularly facepalm-worthy that they've chosen Minecraft to release like this because it is so popular. Thousands of people are going to leap feet-first into it and come away puking.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
But direct control VR is still useful for easy adaptions of existing games for those of us who can deal with it.
I dunno - having developed some tolerance for FP movement, I now find those experiences more akin to having a large screen - controller/stick movement simply breaks presence for me most of the time. But I agree options are still good to keep, more so because much of what works and what doesn't is still very much subject to debate.

Durante

It's not so much about letting anything "slide", the simple fact is that you cannot make anything other than room-scale (1:1 mapped) VR movement nausea free for everyone at this point.

Most of the solutions -- other than fixed position and teleporting, which are pretty much equivalent to no movement for the purpose of this discussion -- boil down to making the user think that they are not, in fact, moving. And depending on how much you make the user think that (e.g. how big the canopy in your cockpit is) there is a direct relation to how many people will get how sick how quickly.

I dunno - having developed some tolerance for FP movement, I now find those experiences more akin to having a large screen - controller/stick movement simply breaks presence for me most of the time.
I don't really agree. Bowing down and looking at stuff close up or peeking around a corner in The Witness was pretty awesome, and completely unlike a screen.

(And also drove home how insufficient the tracking volume and reliability of DK2 is and that I really need a Vive :p)

Top Bottom