• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft VR poisoning the well (Polygon, Toms Hardware etc)

DieH@rd

Banned
Looks like it has a lot of Team Fortress 2 issues.

Traditional first person view games cannot just be ported quickly to VR and mapped movement to gamepad.

I am not surprised this Minecraft VR approach is causing nausea. If they want to remove health issues, they need to totally change movement for users who don't have Vive and its Room Scale tracking.

Durante

Looks like it has a lot of Team Fortress 2 issues.

Traditional first person view games cannot just be ported quickly to VR and mapped movement to gamepad.

I am not surprised this Minecraft VR approach is causing nausea. If they want to remove health issues, they need to totally change movement for users who don't have Vive and its Room Scale tracking.
Even room scale tracking is not really a complete solution for retrofitting a game like Minecraft. Unless you have a really large VR room of course ;)

majik13

Wonder if they implement something like this. What Ubi is doping for Eagle Flight

9rO1qP.gif

basically a dynamic limited FOV, so almost like the 'screened' VR version of minecraft that people said worked well, but only when you move fast or turn, it reduces the FOV in real time. Stand still and look around and it is the full immersion mode. More or less blending the 2 modes into 1.

Wait hold on. I read many VR impressions where playing FPS are mind blowing experience. One guy said HL2 was one of the most amazing gaming experiences ever.

That is why I am getting Oculus, to play GAMES. Normal games, not walking simulators. Now all of a sudden FPS doesn't work?

kinggroin

Banned
Wait hold on. I read many VR impressions where playing FPS are mind blowing experience. One guy said HL2 was one of the most amazing gaming experiences ever.

That is why I am getting Oculus, to play GAMES. Normal games, not walking simulators. Now all of a sudden FPS doesn't work?

They work. Relax.

MaLDo

But Oculus Rift has 360º tracking for the HMD out of the box?

If you're talking about the controllers and occlusion, you could still aim the teleport sight with a gamepad, right?

The tracking in the headset back is only to avoid losing the head track while you take a quick glance over your shoulder. But you can't play back to the camera a long time, imo. Moreso, what about headsed cable if you spin in your seat? To pass your feet over the cable you need to stand. Rift showing its current limitations too early.

artsi

Wonder if they implement something like this. What Ubi is doping for Eagle Flight

9rO1qP.gif

basically a dynamic limited FOV, so almost like the 'screened' VR version of minecraft that people said worked well, but only when you move fast or turn, it reduces the FOV in real time. Stand still and look around and it is the full immersion mode. More or less blending the 2 modes into 1.

I like seeing stuff like this with the new tech. Everyone just throwing whatever they see good at the wall, and maybe something will stick in the end.

The tracking in the headset back is only to avoid losing the head track while you take a quick glance over your shoulder. But you can't play back to the camera a long time, imo. Moreso, what about headsed cable if you spin in your seat? To pass your feet over the cable you need to stand. Rift showing its current limitations too early.

Why is that, if the tracking works? I mean, why would it work just for a little while?

I agree that it would be a standing experience in that case.

Not with this VR tech. The screens are focused at infinity and all objects appear equally sharp regardless of distance. This vergence/focus disconnect can be another source of nasuea, which is why it's not recommended for devs to shove things right in the player's face.

Vergence / focus disconnect is easily learned and nausea from it overcome. And yes, in VR, if you 'focus' (again, just converge) on something up close to you, the background won't be appear in focus. I've experienced this almost every time I've worn any VR headset. You just have to learn not to automatically adjust focal length as you converge your eyes. If you haven't already learnt that from watching 3D movies, it only takes a few hours at most and will happen subconsciously.

I'm not aware of any 'rule of thumb' in designing for VR to avoid things close to the player. In fact, quite the opposite. Things up close are more impressive than things off in the distance.

They *might* give you nausea. They might not. If they initially do, you might get used to it over time. That might get you to a point where it isn't an issue, or just get you to a point where you can handle it for longer. It's basically impossible to know without diving in.

I'm not sure if you're asking how common is this in VR, or in VR Minecraft/FPS games. For the latter, nausea is fairly common. Any game that has you running a virtual body with an analogue stick or mouse is going to be a problem for a lot of people. VR in general though, it's not really a concern (other than from a design perspective). Devs have been well aware of this for years and the vast majority of games coming out design around it with a variety of methods (third person, cockpit, room scale, teleportation etc). Most games are designed to not make you sick.
I specifically said 'on foot fps' lol. And yeah, this is a problem for me. One of the biggest draws for me with vr is the idea of first person shooters. If this isn't viable then I'm super way less interested. Last time I tried vr it made me sick and there wasn't even much motion so I guess I'm pretty much out :(

HotHamBoy

In my experience with my Gear the naseua comes mainly from certain kinds of movement in the first person. In games where there is zero strafe it is usually fine. In games in which you control a character from the 3rd person it is usually fine. When the camera is in a static position it is always fine.

I think increased framerate and resolution should help, but ultimately I think developers just need to create games around these hurdles. In Omega Agent you fly around in first person in every direction, strafe and spin at fast speeds, yet I have never gotten sick. I think it's because a) the camera centers in the direction of your movement, your head does not directly control the camera but your rotational position does. And there's a visible harness in your field pf view, which anchors you like your nose does IRL.

Zalusithix

Depends on your definition of work, and your own capabilities. Basically traditional FPS don't adhere to the currently accepted best VR practices. They'll technically work, but in the process you might be subject to nausea / disorientation / etc. Alternatively (or perhaps even additionally) you might lose your sense of presence within the world from the disconnect.

There's also more to "GAMES" than FPS. Terribly short sighted there.

I specifically said 'on foot fps' lol. And yeah, this is a problem for me. One of the biggest draws for me with vr is the idea of first person shooters. If this isn't viable then I'm super way less interested. Last time I tried vr it made me sick and there wasn't even much motion so I guess I'm pretty much out :(

Your first experience isn't necessarily going to be representative of how you'll do after a period of acclimatization. Some people talk about getting their VR legs, or 'powering through the initial nausea' and never look back. It's a whole new experience for your brain to process and your brain is somewhat elastic and adaptive.

Again, this is all within limits and some people are just never going to be able to adjust... but I remember really struggling with the first couple of 3D movies I saw at the cinema (My Bloody Valentine and Avatar) but now I have zero issues going back and watching those films or watching new ones.

My neural networks just hadn't figured out how to process this unexpected thing.

I genuinely believe that a lot of the solutions to a lot of supposed 'problems' aren't things we'll be doing long term. That's separate to needing locomotion methods for roomscale experiences mind. All this work is valid. Maybe the fix will be vestibular stimulation. Maybe we'll just get used to it as I know I did.

But these initial concerns around nausea I think are relatively short term problems that will be ultimately resolved outside of game design quirks.

Hale-XF11

The solution is thankfully really simple: Just drop the full-immersion mode completely!

That's not a solution. Clearly, anyone who buys a Rift and Minecraft VR will fully expect to play it in first person mode like most any other VR game. If that fails, then Minecraft VR fails.

That being said, it might not suck for everyone. Having played Minecraft in my DK2, I didn't find traversal to be an issue, though falling from great heights was bad. They could solve that by eliminating gravity or slowing it down, though I'm not sure that's a good solution either.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
I don't really agree. Bowing down and looking at stuff close up or peeking around a corner in The Witness was pretty awesome, and completely unlike a screen.
That I agree - but I was referring to when you're in "locomoting" state. Which basically introduces this weird disconnect between two states (still and moving) - one very much feels present but everytime I move - the illusion starts to break.
Which then brings the question what's the benefit - if I had an arbitrary "point&click" teleport(which can be done pretty easily with just headtracking), it's hard to argue the VR experience would be any worse off.
Obviously - this is fairly specific to walking-sim/exploration genre.

bronk

Banned
I cant even play regular ol minecraft witout the urge to barf. I cant figure out why the game makes me so sick.

tensuke

I've done games (not mc) where I've moved around a lot with a DK2, it didn't really bother me at all, so there must be something in the way MCVR is doing it that could be improved to mostly eliminate that (sadly there will always be some people that still have a problem with it due to motionsickness or what have you). I think that's a hurdle that VR is going to have in its first few iterations, that it's not for everyone because of how different people react, but something that will naturally be improved over time as technology increases.

cakely

FPS games are not going to directly translate to VR without some careful thought.
The Minecraft VR example in this thread is what happens if you just try to drop VR onto an existing game.

In a traditional console FPS:
  • Turn, look around, and aim with your right thumb.
  • Move with your left thumb.

In VR natural instinct makes you want to:
  • Turn by moving your body
  • Look by moving your head and your eyes.
  • Aim by pointing your hand.
  • Move by walking.

Finding a control solution that complements those instincts instead of fighting them isn't trivial.

metaender

Neo Member
Greetings everyone, I've been registered for quite some time but was never inclined to post. I'm also a lead on Scorn and we were thinking about and designing with the VR (mode) in mind throughout better part of the development but reluctantly opted out in the end because of this problem.Our gameplay relies too much on movement, especially movement around enemies.If you are interested in what the actual problem is and some possible solutions check these out.
http://xinreality.com/wiki/Locomotion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwKZDpsjgg&feature=youtu.be&t=588

The percentage of people getting motion sickness is pretty high, in our office alone it's 7-3 in favor of motion sickness.A lot of people are not aware of this and think that standard games will work just fine in VR. They will not. If you check out all the lunch titles for Rift and Vive you will notice that every game from first person perspective uses some alternative form of movement. I think this should be pointed out more often. The problem also comes from developers that are saying they will have a VR mode (it's a buzz word now) in standard games so most people think it will just work as intended. I guess some are so stubborn and will not believe it until they try it for themselves.
Durante said:
This is generally true if you want to achieve nausea-free gameplay for everyone. But direct control VR is still useful for easy adaptions of existing games for those of us who can deal with it.

That makes sense but that is also all you are going to get since you can't dedicate resources(implementing proper motion control etc.) to VR mode that can't be played by a lot of potential users. Just to do the testing for VR mode you would first need to test the standard testers for motion sickness and I can guarantee a lot of them would not pass it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Greetings everyone, I've been registered for quite some time but was never inclined to post. I'm also a lead on Scorn and we were thinking about and designing with the VR (mode) in mind throughout better part of the development but reluctantly opted out in the end because of this problem.Our gameplay relies to much on movement, especially movement around enemies.If you are interested in what the actual problem is and some possible solutions check these out.

The percentage of people getting motion sickness is pretty high, in our office alone its 7-3 in favor of motion sickness.A lot of people are not aware of this and think that standard games will work just fine in VR. They will not.

Good move. If the game does not fit VR platform and there are no resources for proper adaptation [or that adaptation is impossible], it's better to not support it.

lol and people want to play Ark in VR...i get dizzy playing that game in general...with regards to minecraft, can't say im surprised but i doubt they will drop it. Too many people will likely think they are immune to the side effects and demand it.

Greetings everyone, I've been registered for quite some time but was never inclined to post. I'm also a lead on Scorn and we were thinking about and designing with the VR (mode) in mind throughout better part of the development but reluctantly opted out in the end because of this problem.Our gameplay relies to much on movement, especially movement around enemies.If you are interested in what the actual problem is and some possible solutions check these out.

The percentage of people getting motion sickness is pretty high, in our office alone its 7-3 in favor of motion sickness.A lot of people are not aware of this and think that standard games will work just fine in VR. They will not. If you check out all the lunch titles for Rift and Vive you will notice that every game from first person perspective uses some alternative form of movement. I think this should be pointed out more often. The problem also comes from developers that are saying they will have VR mode (it's a buzz word now) in standard games so most people think it will just work as intended. I guess some are so stubborn and will not believe it until they try it for themselves.

That makes sense in theory but you can't dedicate resources(implementing proper motion control etc) to VR mode that can't be played by a lot of potential users. Just to do the testing for VR mode you would first need to test the standard testers for motion sickness and I can guarantee a lot of them would not pass it.
Agree, good call to move away from it until better "best practices" can be discovered by those who are able to take on the time and risk required to develop them.

That guy who mentioned HL2 was a lucky guy who wasn't prone to simulation sickness.

So yeah you can be worried.

These responses are all over the place, lol.

FPS games are not going to directly translate to VR without some careful thought.
The Minecraft VR example in this thread is what happens if you just try to drop VR onto an existing game.

In a traditional console FPS:
  • Turn, look around, and aim with your right thumb.
  • Move with your left thumb.

In VR natural instinct makes you want to:
  • Turn by moving your body
  • Look by moving your head and your eyes.
  • Aim by pointing your hand.
  • Move by walking.

Finding a control solution that complements those instincts instead of fighting them isn't trivial.

So to those that were able to play HL2 VR, what control scheme worked?

Zalusithix

I don't understand how the 8-bit graphics style of minecraft can even work in VR.

That reminds me of co-worker who read that consoles were dead after James Cameron's Avatar: The Game didn't sell very well.

The mind can adapt fairly well to cartoony and non realistic environments so long as it still responds in the way that we expect it to. The Job Simulator people pointed out how a silly cartoon art style worked fine. Highly realistic environments aren't needed to sell the presence effect.

Edit:
Actually the majority have stated it's technically possible, but may result in experiencing a number of side effects.

Could be a problem for the for-profit retail system. If it might/might not make people sick than people will try it then return it in droves to the stores. After the warranty expires too.

"
Tried it for a long time, then my teenage son tried it and got sick, so I'm excercising my legal rights on health and safety reasons.
"

You obviously do not understand VR or what it is. I'm also guessing you've never tried it. VR isn't in huge trouble. I actually can't believe how many times I've said this on gaf:

VR is currently for enthusiasts. VR will not be mainstream immediately. VR will slowly grow in popularity over time. HTC/Valve/Oculus/Facebook know this. They have said this many times. They are in this for the long run.

It will take time for VR games to be made that you could spend 100 hours in (even though many Vive games I could probably spend that long in). VR doesn't need it's own "Halo". You keep comparing traditional games to VR games, which is exactly what you shouldn't do, as we've seen with Minecraft VR - just adding VR support to existing games does not work.

You're right I have not tried VR, though I have preorder an Oculus Rift and still intended to go through with my purchase in spite of the doubts I have with the technology. In the end, I still want to believe VR is going to be a transformative experience. Like going from 2D to 3D all over again.

Growing VR over time is going to be very difficult, especially if traditional gameplay design cannot be applied to VR games. Think about that for a second! You're talking about throwing away numerous design paradigms that have been refined over the past two decades.

In terms of needing a killer app to launch the platform with, I do think a "Halo" like title would go a long way to proving the fundamentals behind the technology.

No, this is exactly the wrong way to think about it. Figuring out how to cram the square peg of traditional gaming into the round hole of VR is a kludge fix at best.

VR doesn't need to replace our traditional gaming experiences at all. All it needs to do is provide complimentary experiences that are fully tuned to its strengths. Sure things are rough and somewhat gimmicky right now, but devs are just learning all the dos and don'ts for the medium. Grand experiences will come with time. We've had decades of perfecting the art of making games on a traditional screen. Expecting the same from VR right out of the gate is unreasonable.

I suppose those young enough that they've only ever known the more refined products might not see this as something that's self evident. Anybody that's old enough to have experienced gaming evolve over time should be conscious of it though.

The problem with asking people to be patient while charging ~$1000 CAD is that it sets VR up for a lukewarm reception. The best people can say at launch is that the experience is cool, but outside of games that boil down to proof of concepts there isn't much reason to invest in VR.

I think it's interesting that you point out that gaming has evolved over time yet leave out the fact that expectations have evolved as well. Consumers aren't going to care if there is potential in the product five years down the road when you have nothing to offer of substance in the meant time.

Look, what it boils down to is that I really want VR to the be the next great thing that ushers in a new era of gameplay for videogames. That being said, VR developers haven't managed to show anything remotely as engrossing as what is offered in traditional games. I expect to blown away the first time I put on an Oculus Rift and have a sense of presence unlike anything I have had before. I also fully expect that the sense of wonder I feel will wear off just like any shiny new thing, and without substantive experiences to carry the technology I worry it will flounder.

Zalusithix

Interesting that he implies Carmack doesn't experience VR sickness, could be one reason why Minecraft is coming out like this.

VR development must be a bitch if you don't feel nausea, because you can't really test yourself what will make people sick, and need to rely in "best practices" until you can get other people to play the game.

As far as testing goes, it's supposedly worse than that - at least going by the Job Simulator guys. Not only do you have differences between people, but the mind is malleable and learns/adapts quickly. For ideal testing of what is "natural" in VR, you need a supply of fresh people that haven't been tainted so to speak by the experience. People that have no idea how something is going to work and simply go by intuition.

So what if you had a sort of wiimote control like scheme. The head takes the place of looking and when you turn your head a bit you turn the character and that becomes forward. Movement is done with a left stick. On the other hand you have a wiimote like device that replicates a gun. Would that help the sickness issue?

Hoo-doo

Banned

The percentage of people getting motion sickness is pretty high, in our office alone its 7-3 in favor of motion sickness.A lot of people are not aware of this and think that standard games will work just fine in VR. They will not. If you check out all the lunch titles for Rift and Vive you will notice that every game from first person perspective uses some alternative form of movement. I think this should be pointed out more often. The problem also comes from developers that are saying they will have VR mode (it's a buzz word now) in standard games so most people think it will just work as intended. I guess some are so stubborn and will not believe it until they try it for themselves.

That makes sense but that is also all you are going to get since you can't dedicate resources(implementing proper motion control etc) to VR mode that can't be played by a lot of potential users. Just to do the testing for VR mode you would first need to test the standard testers for motion sickness and I can guarantee a lot of them would not pass it.

Thanks for this.

Traditional FPS and VR simply won't be compatible without huge concessions made. Wonder how many people actually know this going in.

Thanks for this.

Traditional FPS and VR simply won't be compatible without huge concessions made. Wonder how many people actually know this going in.

I didn't. I had read about how amazing HL2 VR is and how FPS will be amazing on it. I knew some people would get motion sickness but I though that was just a few people prone to it and the new models fixed a lot of those issues.

The Oculus store is going to have a rating for each game called "Comfort", which is how sick it will make you feel (since different people have different sensitivities to motion sickness). This game is odd, though, in that it has one mode that will have a perfect comfort rating, and another mode where it will make most people sick. Maybe they'll have a warning when you choose that mode.

I didn't. I had read about how amazing HL2 VR is and how FPS will be amazing on it. I knew some people would get motion sickness but I though that was just a few people prone to it and the new models fixed a lot of those issues.

I think it's going to be a huge problem, especially since many peoples first thought after hearing about VR is about exploring their favourite game worlds.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm curious if people who grow up with this technology will eventually become immune to the motion sickness. Works for sailors right?

RowdyReverb

Maybe this next generation of gamers will adapt and become super resistant to motion sickness and they'll leave all us old farts behind while we reminisce about the good old days where your character could do flipping spin jumps without inducing nausea.
Edit:
I'm curious if people who grow up with this technology will eventually become immune to the motion sickness. Works for sailors right?
Great minds and all that

Pizza

Doesn't putting a false nose that you barely notice ingame help stifle the sickness? Does minecraft VR have that?

artsi

Doesn't putting a false nose that you barely notice ingame help stifle the sickness? Does minecraft VR have that?

If that works I think it could be something like the "tunnel mode" that you could overlay on top of any game with some kind of injector?

Monger

So to those that were able to play HL2 VR, what control scheme worked?

If you don't get sick, play it like a normal fps. To minimize motion sickness, only move in the direction you're looking and try to maintain a constant speed as much as you can.

Zalusithix

The problem with asking people to be patient while charging ~$1000 CAD is that it sets VR up for a lukewarm reception. The best people can say at launch is that the experience is cool, but outside of games that boil down to proof of concepts there isn't much reason to invest in VR.

I think it's interesting that you point out that gaming has evolved over time yet leave out the fact that expectations have evolved as well. Consumers aren't going to care if there is potential in the product five years down the road when you have nothing to offer of substance in the meant time.

Look, what it boils down to is that I really want VR to the be the next great thing that ushers in a new era of gameplay for videogames. That being said, VR developers haven't managed to show anything remotely as engrossing as what is offered in traditional games. I expect to blown away the first time I put on an Oculus Rift and have a sense of presence unlike anything I have had before. I also fully expect that the sense of wonder I feel will wear off just like any shiny new thing, and without substantive experiences to carry the technology I worry it will flounder.

All tech has to start somewhere. Mass acceptance isn't needed right away. It's too expensive (on the PC) for that anyhow. Anybody with the cash to spend on VR now should hopefully have a bit of knowledge of what they're getting into. This isn't impulse purchase territory for most people.

Expectations have evolved, but it's wrong to apply those expectations to a new medium. The first 3D games were less far refined than the 2D games of the time. The first implementations of motion control were horrible compared to modern ones. The only way these experiences ever get better is by people continuing to make things using them and sharing that knowledge with others. Ideas build off other ideas, and piece by piece the picture fills out on how to do things.

As for them showing something engrossing... Unfortunately we can't really judge them fairly without donning VR headset and trying them ourselves. Without the feeling of presence, VR is severely lacking. Something might be a ball to play in VR, but a complete bore to watch. Judging a VR game by the second screen experience is futile. I think VR will bring back the era of the demo. Nothing is a good substitute for the real thing.

KiraXD

whats the science behind people getting sick with VR? i know for me.. i get car sick super easy, i cant read or play my vita while in the passenger seat... but ive never gotten nauseous playing games sitting at home. things like Mirrors Edge or whatever other games made people sick... i was fine with.

So i know sitting still and moving my head the normal range of motion... isnt like riding in a car... the inner ear equilibrium is moving completely differently when paired with visual stimulus in both cases.

Ive not tried VR yet... but if it is like trying to play games while driving... fuck that.

Top Bottom