• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

aeolist

Banned
i guess the first game selling badly meant the sequel was always going to neuter what fans liked about it in search of a broader audience.

still stings a bit though. ah well, if it's genericized i can avoid giving ea money.

Except a prestige title is devs making what they want to make, right? A passion project. A AAA game is very financially driven.

If you try and mix the two, won't you get something resembling a confused blob?

What do you make of Spec Ops: The Line? Or Alan Wake?

A-V-B

Guys, if swinging from bars is locked behind a (fairly) late XP upgrade, does that mean the main story missions can't have any sections where you swing across bars?

Story missions must be completed as if players went directly from mission-to-mission without leveling up, so that means the fewest unlocked skills. Who knows how they're paced out, or how much grinding is required to unlock skills. I guess that's the info we're really missing. But we do know they're unlocked one at a time, and you need a certain amount of XP to unlock one skill. They're not part of a set or something.

So... looking at all the skills on that list.. at a guess, either missions give quite a lot of XP, or you're going to be grinding your ass off.

viveks86

All XP bars do is make you wait till the end of the game to play the game the way you originally wanted to play it. Then you have almost nothing except completionist stuff to use your cool moves on.

Except that doesn't apply to a game that is mostly about time trials and leaderboards. Anybody planning to invest time in this game beyond the story will come back to use every skill they gained. It's really not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. We have no idea what it's really going to take to unlock these abilities.

A-V-B

What do you make of Spec Ops: The Line? Or Alan Wake?

I think Alan Wake is a confused blob with interesting ideas.

And going from the dev stories, I think Spec Ops: The Line sort of got lucky. Some of the biggest parts of that game's story were pulled right out of the writer's ass due to some weird real-life environmental challenges.

Zojirushi

Story missions must be completed as if players went directly from mission-to-mission without leveling up, so that means the fewest unlocked skills. Who knows how they're paced out, or how much grinding is required to unlock skills. I guess that's the info we're really missing. But we do know they're unlocked one at a time, and you need a certain amount of XP to unlock one skill. They're not part of a set or something.

So... looking at all the skills on that list.. at a guess, either missions give quite a lot of XP, or you're going to be grinding your ass off.

That one SIde Mission in the exploration video netted 500 XP. At the point he was he needed 7000 XP to unlock one skill so...

RSB

Banned
I've been watching the videos, and yep, I'm still hyped. I'd rather have everything unlocked from the beginning, and a couple of minor details are annoying (like the absence of the bone crush sound when falling from great heights) but overall, I really like what I'm seeing.

Do we know if there's a no HUD option? Having things like enemy indicators and enemy life bars is kind of annoying, so I hope there is.

Except that doesn't apply to a game that is mostly about time trials and leaderboards. Anybody planning to invest time in this game beyond the story will come back to use every skill they gained. It's really not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. We have no idea what it's really going to take to unlock these abilities.
Yep, that's how I see it.

thumb

Banned
Except a prestige title is devs making what they want to make, right? A passion project. A AAA game is very financially driven.

If you try and mix the two, won't you get something resembling a confused blob?

Not necessarily confused, just different. My understanding is that DICE had been pitching ME sequels for years before Catalyst finally got the green light. They really wanted this game even though the first was not a financial windfall. I suspect EA relented, in part, due to the passion project, keep-DICE-happy thing. But they also wanted to see a plan for real profitability.

End result? Mirror's Edge is not an art house game--it will have many of the trappings of modern AAA titles. But it will also, in many ways, be the game that DICE has been trying to make for years now.

This is all speculative, of course. But from the outside, that's what I'm guessing.

A-V-B

That one SIde Mission in the exploration video netted 500 XP. At the point he was he needed 7000 XP to unlock one skill so...

Of course, we don't know how XP scales throughout the game either. Does it all stay at the same level needed for a skill point? Does it start lower? Are rewards consistent?

Because you could take any balance and tweak it to fit your goals. If you really, really want it to be a learning system, you'll measure it out to create as little grinding as possible. A natural curve that just happens to use XP as a ruler.

T'would be nice if that were the case, but again... not enough info at this point.

Arion

Guys, if swinging from bars is locked behind a XP upgrade, does that mean the main story missions can't have any sections where you swing across bars?

That's pretty major. Rolls, quickturns, etc all make the game feel a lot better, but you could technically beat the original without ever using them.

Perhaps story missions will have multiple paths like the original. They could have a path with bar swinging and a path without.

b0bbyJ03

What's a better way to play the first game? Xbox elite controller with the paddles for jumping and ducking or KB/M? Gonna replay it before the new one

A-V-B

What's a better way to play the first game? Xbox elite controller with the paddles for jumping and ducking or KB/M? Gonna replay it before the new one

KB/M is always, in my experience, better for first person games, but if you're more familiar with controllers for that sort of thing, don't let me stop you.

Blizzard

Banned
A 360 controller works fine so I assume an XBone controller would work.

My personal preference is mouse + keyboard since I thought those controls worked quite well on PC.

Blizzard

Banned
The roll is making me a little dizzy.
Did you play the original one? It did a full first-person flip. :p I actually liked it better since it flowed smoothly though. This one feels like it bounces back, but I guess on average it bothers people less.

Nabs

0oQJPCy.png

wiL0W1D.png

hRuON9O.png

image.php

So that IGN video, is that from PC or Xbox One? It all looks really good but then i noticed low res shadows and usually that's not the case on a good enough PC, right? If that's Xbox One, it sure looks good and smooth. Not sure if this game is for me though, was never incredibly fond of the first one.

Linkyn

Did you play the original one? It did a full first-person flip. :p I actually liked it better since it flowed smoothly though. This one feels like it bounces back, but I guess on average it bothers people less.

I've had it sitting in my backlog for a while now. I was always going to try the original first before committing to a purchase, mostly so I could know whether I axtually like this type of game. Maybe it's not as bad when I'm in control over what happens, so I can anticipate what kind of feedback I'm getting (similar to how it's easier to respond to inertia in a car when driving yourself).

TM94

Movement abilities locked behind a skill tree

5gJI0Be.gif

The writing for the dialogue and main story beats seems dogshit across the board as well.

I've had it sitting in my backlog for a while now. I was always going to try the original first before committing to a purchase, mostly so I could know whether I axtually like this type of game. Maybe it's not as bad when I'm in control over what happens, so I can anticipate what kind of feedback I'm getting (similar to how it's easier to respond to inertia in a car when driving yourself).

Let me tell you—the roll in the first game is disorienting, even when you're in control. I don't get ever motion sick, but it still causes me to lose track for a little bit.

Learning to push through it is part of the fun, though. And, as someone who spent years doing gymnastics, it really is similar to what quickly rolling feels like.

LeleSocho

Banned
um, yeah i agree its not a great thing (upgrade stuff) but ruin? overreaction much?

just watched the videos. day fucking 1. cannot wait.

Yeah it's ruined, no question about it whatsoever.
ME was about be free in movements and do whatever i wanted now i have to unlock stuff to perform freaking rolling.

nynt9

um, yeah i agree its not a great thing (upgrade stuff) but ruin? overreaction much?

just watched the videos. day fucking 1. cannot wait.

Yes, ruin. It's not an overreaction I think. This has implications for the game design. It means that no essential mission will require "advanced" skills. The game will be geared towards beating it with your basic skillset that consists of running and jumping. Think of all the sequences in the first game where you had to execute series of complex moves to proceed. Those will be gone.

It also means that you will have to grind doing endless open world fetch quests to unlock your full potential, which won't really be required anyway. I can't really think of an open world game that did balancing against a character without any abilities versus against a fully leveled character very expertly.

DVCY201

I think another interesting new design is the Stamina Bar. She's got one, and it can be upgraded. Looks like it drains as she climbs up a pipe. I'm not too sure what the point of that is

Oh, nevermind. Confusing. One is for Health, another is for Top Speed. Got it.

nynt9

I think another interesting new design is the Stamina Bar. She's got one, and it can be upgraded. Looks like it drains as she climbs up a pipe. I'm not too sure what the point of that is

Give you yet another thing to upgrade, to give you a sense of progression? Surely it will be pitifully low in the beginning of the game.

LeleSocho

Banned
Mirror's Edge Reveal Trailer This is the first time people has ever seen the game.
First thing you see Faith doing after the jump is rolling, soon after she stands on a tube like an equilibrist trying to go across two buildings and then after a small wall-running jumps into oblivion trying to grip another tube giving you the most incredible feelings of freedom of movements.
All that in the Prologue chapter.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Faith: "What's rolling?"

Bravo EA, bra-freaking-vo *clap clap*

Arklite

I don't think anything will be ruined, but there's no need for gated skills. The old mechanics made sense and were necessary to the game's pace, drip feeding them to you does nothing for the game.

If they had incorporated several new traversal mechanics/puzzles/gimmicks/schemes then it would make some sense, but from the looks of it this doesn't even seem to have Portal to Portal 2 levels of differences.

Welcome to video games, where all established heroes start from scratch

Well it's Faith's origin story isn't it? If this is done well and the levels are designed with it in mind, i don't have an issue with it. Might be really cool and be a better way to build the player's dexterity up - some people found the original ME overwhelming.

My goodness, we manage to find some novel shit to complain about as a community, don't we?

RedSwirl

I feel a little better knowing the open world is actually gated behind abilities, suggesting DICE actually put some thought into how it relates to the overall game progression. Might end up feeling more like Zelda or 3D Metroid than a Ubisoft game.

I don't know about skill trees yet. In one of the previous DICE defended it by saying locking abilities convinced players to actually use them more once they actually unlocked them. I don't know if XP and levels are the best way to do that though. Maybe they should have been locked behind events in the main story. How will side missions and extras be balanced around this? Maybe some will simply require certain abilities unlocked? Could the main story gate people like this?

Maybe DICE is trying to address how difficult the first ME was for some people. A lot of people died a lot in that game. It was one of those games where you really suck at it when you first try it, but slowly get better as you figure out how to best utilize abilities and the environment.

This is starting to feel like one of those "the fanbase from the niche original is going to be impossible to please" kind of sequels.

I have absolutely no memory of whether or not I signed up for the beta, lol. I assume I would have if I saw it back when signups went live.

A-V-B

Well it's Faith's origin story isn't it? If this is done well and the levels are designed with it in mind, i don't have an issue with it. Might be really cool and be a better way to build the player's dexterity up - some people found the original ME overwhelming.

My goodness, we manage to find some novel shit to complain about as a community, don't we?

Um, no?
They break Faith out of prison to rejoin the Runners, and claim she already has a legend as a runner. And she can't roll. It has nothing to do with the story unless her limbs have just completely atrophied, in which case they should not be relying on her to jump around and wallclimb.

This is starting to feel like one of those "the fanbase from the niche original is going to be impossible to please" kind of sequels.

There's a balance between making an improved sequel and jacking its pacing up with obligatory skinner boxes.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I hope they include a TPS mode. Camera shake and low FOV in a melee FPS with free running at its score is a nightmare.

Top Bottom