• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Blizzard

Banned
It's a reboot according to the info we were given originally.

People, can you please mark spoilers if you start talking about the story though? I was trying to avoid watching the story parts. :p

golem

Just watched some of the Giant Bomb footage.. this game looks like it was made by Ubisoft :/ Still gonna get it most likely though

Um, no? They break Faith out of prison to rejoin the Runners, and claim she already has a legend as a runner. And she can't roll. It has nothing to do with the story unless her limbs have just completely atrophied, in which case they should not be relying on her to jump around and wallclimb.

Well then it probably has to do with player skill. You realize we're getting a sequel to this by the skin of DICE's teeth right? The first game was not a commercial success, which means, despite the fact that people like you and me adored it, most didn't connect with it. I had more than one friend that got frustrated/overwhelmed and stopped playing it (the demo was probably a mistake).

So building up player skill might not be a bad thing, and as a poster above puts, probably a very good idea in an open world context. An example of an open world platformer where you never gained any ability was POP 2008, which I really enjoyed but was heavily criticized for being boring.

I really, really... really think you should actually try this before you stress out so much about it.

If they'd take a lot of mechanics from dying light, you'd think they'd take the most useful one in this case being every freerunning move you do in game can accumulate for xp for your skll point.

Feels like "one step forward, two steps back" mentality on EA's part. Dice might not be completely innocent though.

Yeah instead of just making a better freerunning game, let's focus more on the storyline (that most never cared about) and all the cool gimmicks that we could shove in.

I really hope this game does well but they're taking all the wrong lessons from the first game. Worst case scenario, I'll just play the first game.

http://i.imgur.com/0oQJPCy.png[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wiL0W1D.png[img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/hRuON9O.png[img][/QUOTE]

Here was I thinking they were going to fuck it up by taking out the side boost jump and all the other hidden mechanics. Then they lock the basics behind points…. I just want a little bit of news that gets me hyped for this game, at the moment I'm only interested because I liked the original so much.

First Star Wars at blazing 60 fps, now this..... Dice is becoming a beast in terms of graphical standards.

I mean.... They were good (Bad Company games look bad, but Battlefield 3 and 4 were good). But this and Star Wars are beyond my expectations.

I think Battlefield 5 will be ground breaking by the end of the year.

By the way.... ME is 1080p on consoles or they will keep the 900p and 60 fps? (at least for the ps4. This game would benefit a lot from 60 fps. I know ME is an open world, but Metal Gear Solid did it).

viveks86

My goodness, we manage to find some novel shit to complain about as a community, don't we?

Seriously. As if the complaining isn't enough, people have started predicting what the level design is going to be like, just because there is a progression system. Like... I don't even... every level has a leaderboard and hence can accommodate skills that you will only gain later on. TBH, none of this matters once the game is out. The level design could be great or utter shit, with or without a progression system. I guess this sort of paranoia and prognostication keeps our minds and these threads busy.

Yes the game requires suspension of disbelief and has some ludonarrative dissonance. News at 11.

A-V-B

Here was I thinking they were going to fuck it up by taking out the side boost jump and all the other hidden mechanics. Then they lock the basics behind points…. I just want a little bit of news that gets me hyped for this game, at the moment I'm only interested because I liked the original so much.

It's still a really pretty game, and Solar Fields is still doing the soundtrack, though it's not Movements-era Solar Fields so it has a slightly different vibe.

I hope they include a TPS mode. Camera shake and low FOV in a melee FPS with free running at its score is a nightmare.

This would be pretty antithetical to the purpose of Mirror's Edge. Have you played the original? It works surprisingly well! I am to this day not quite sure what DICE did, but it feels good.

thumb

Banned
Mirror's Edge Reveal Trailer This is the first time people has ever seen the game.
First thing you see Faith doing after the jump is rolling, soon after she stands on a tube like an equilibrist trying to go across two buildings and then after a small wall-running jumps into oblivion trying to grip another tube giving you the most incredible feelings of freedom of movements.
All that in the Prologue chapter.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Faith: "What's rolling?"

Bravo EA, bra-freaking-vo *clap clap*

In the original Metroid, Samus, despite being an intergalactic bounty hunter, starts extremely powered down. She has a short range pea-shooter, she can't turn into a morph ball, can't high jump, and has no missiles or bombs. Everything that is distinctively associated with her. And yet the progressive accumulation of these abilities and their connection to the environment is such an effective game convention that it has spawned its own subgenre.

I'm not saying EA's decision here will work out. I'm just saying I'm not nearly as skeptical about it.

First Star Wars at blazing 60 fps, now this..... Dice is becoming a beast in terms of graphical standards.

I mean.... They were good (Bad Company games look bad, but Battlefield 3 and 4 were good). But this and Star Wars are beyond my expectations.

I think Battlefield 5 will be ground breaking by the end of the year.

By the way.... ME is 1080p on consoles or they will keep the 900p and 60 fps? (at least for the ps4. This game would benefit a lot from 60 fps. I know ME is an open world, but Metal Gear Solid did it).

Actually, this is a good question: do we know what FPS this is on consoles? It would really make sense for them to prioritize 60.

Randdalf

Man I really want to just turn all that collectible and open world stuff off and just play a linear Mirror's Edge game like the first one. I hope the open world nature of it doesn't dilute the platforming and running. Also a lot of the social stuff seems like a waste of time, not really sure why anybody would find that compelling except for leaderboards.

Evilkazzz

Banned
I still havent been able to find an answer.

Does anyone know if you can take off the squiggly line in runner vision? I'm aware you can just turn off Runner Vision but I actual like the highlighting of interactable parkour objects. I just dont like the new Squiggly line that basically plots a route for you every time you want to access the vision.

That and the Locked Skill tree skills are really starting to sour my hype a bit.

A-V-B

I still havent been able to find an answer.

Does anyone know if you can take off the squiggly line in runner vision? I'm aware you can just turn off Runner Vision but I actual like the highlighting of interactable parkour objects. I just dont like the new Squiggly line that basically plots a route for you every time you want to access the vision.

That and the Locked Skill tree skills are really starting to sour my hype a bit.

There's new mode (Forza lines,) classic mode 1 (just red objects) and classic mode 2 (disabled runner vision.)

Myriadis

Having to unlock skills you had in the previous games by default is Wario Land 3 levels of stupíd.
But otherwise I like what I see so far.

Seriously. As if the complaining isn't enough, people have started predicting what the level design is going to be like, just because there is a progression system. Like... I don't even... every level has a leaderboard and hence can accommodate skills that you will only gain later on. TBH, none of this matters once the game is out. The level design could be great or utter shit, with or without a progression system. I guess this sort of paranoia and prognostication keeps our minds and these threads busy.

Yes the game requires suspension of disbelief and has some ludonarrative dissonance. News at 11.

Of course there's a chance that the progression system impacts the level design. They won't put you in a position where you can't advanced.

LeleSocho

Banned
In the original Metroid, Samus, despite being an intergalactic bounty hunter, starts extremely powered down. She has a short range pea-shooter, she can't turn into a morph ball, can't high jump, and has no missiles or bombs. Everything that is distinctively associated with her. And yet the progressive accumulation of these abilities and their connection to the environment is such an effective game convention that it has spawned its own subgenre.

I'm not saying EA's decision here will work out. I'm just saying I'm not nearly as sskeptical about it.

Why are you comparing Metroid to Mirror's Edge though? They have close to nothing in common.
Also as you said Metorid started that way, no one ever expected Samus to have ice beams and screw attack from the beginning of the game. ME always had a focus on agility and freedom of movements, it was so important that they essentially showcased only that feature in the first video ever of the franchise. You are expected to do everything that Faith did in the first one and even beyond... This is not even a reboot anymore more like a reimagination of what's the focus of this franchise.

LOL @ the skill tree. I can't believe some of the stuff they locked behind the point based progression. Unreal.

I'm not totally put off by it because eventually you'll unlock everything and the real Mirror's Edge will begin, but jesus

Well it's Faith's origin story isn't it? If this is done well and the levels are designed with it in mind, i don't have an issue with it. Might be really cool and be a better way to build the player's dexterity up - some people found the original ME overwhelming.

My goodness, we manage to find some novel shit to complain about as a community, don't we?

What do you think the reaction would be if Nintendo announced the next Mario and revealed that all he had at the beginning of the game was a standard jump and his double, triple, long, wall jumps etc. were all locked? That's how I look at this situation.

I'm not saying EA's decision here will work out. I'm just saying I'm not nearly as skeptical about it.

The difference with a skill tree and the Metroid system is that the Metroid system feeds into the level design, it was a reward for exploration that would then give you more areas to explore and a way to progress in the game. The placement of the abilities were considered and developed the character in a meaningful way. A skill tree is a standard RPG mechanic that gives the illusion of progression and really just being rewarded for doing basic things and makes the player feel like they are in control, but when you ae going t unlock everything anyway what is the point make it relevant to the gameplay. I would be happy with the Metroid system being incorporated into Mirrors Edge, it would actually work damn well, potentially better than what Metroid does.

viveks86

Of course there's a chance that the progression system impacts the level design. They won't put you in a position where you can't advanced.

Of course it impacts level design. Everything impacts level design. But there is no reason to be so convinced that it will impact it negatively. The game has always been about finding the best way to get from point A to point B, not about making it impossible. So you'd be able to advance with just the basic moves, but where would that put you on the leaderboard?

What do you think the reaction would be if Nintendo announced the next Mario and revealed that all he had at the beginning of the game was a standard jump and his double, triple, long, wall jumps etc. were all locked? That's how I look at this situation.

Well if the game turns out to be engaging, challenging and fun, I have absolutely no problem with that. But your analogy is spot on. Fans are gonna cry :D

You know what they should have, just the question system from Snake Eater:

"Did you like classic ME? Do you want to play it like GTA with parkour?"

Also with the classic mode, do you get all the moves right off the bat? And faith, the free running junkie, has a stamina bar.

Llyranor

Locking away basic movement abilities sounds awful. I love ME1 and was ready to support this early on, but I think I'll wait for a decent sale now.

I'm not actually opposed to a cleverly-designed Metroidvania, but this just sounds like XP-locking in an open world, and that doesn't inspire nearly as much confidence.

Mman235

It's almost like Mirror's Edge was accidentally a good game, like DICE doesn't really get why people liked the first one.

Given that Mirror Edge 1's biggest strengths came from the kind of stuff that's the exact opposite of how most AAA developers design single player games (including DICE's other games), like high mechanical depth (including multiple glitch-type unintended moves) and a focus on replaying levels to find new routes, it wouldn't be a surprise if that was the case.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Honestly would not care but I've felt their recent Mario games lacked challenge and a sense of accomplishment anyways.

I think the game's art style is working against it. Everything looks the same and is sterile. It's like you're playing a first person Metal Gear VR mission with a two color palette. Then there's like no one around in the buildings, so the people you do encounter were scripted to be there at that exact moment. This isn't looking like a buy for me. I most recently played Dying Light and think they did a good job with the runner game mechanic but also gave you more to do than just that.

PillarEN

I hope we get to kill Icarus. Story and dialogue seems like Hollywood nonsense but who cares. Movement seems great which is what I want .
EDIT: I only watched the IGN video. there are skill trees and other crap? Veeeery skeptical now.

jdstorm

Banned
Oh wow, EXP and upgrade trees? Wonder how significant that stuff will be for movement options...

As long as the base movement is good I don't mind. It will be nice to get a new 3D platformer. I'm just really hoping to get into the beta

Edit: When Nintendo were designing DK:TF they had a dev interview/diary that talked about level design. They talked about teaching it gradually. Ie first you run, then you jump, then you run and jump, then you run and jump over a pit ect. The best case scenario for this skill tree system is that it's for teaching new players how to play in a gradual way.

Mirrors Edge 1 is a great game, but it's early game difficulty curve is tough and unforgiving. The reward for that is more then worth it. However if most people need a little more teaching and handholding to reach that level of competence then why not.

hydruxo

This looks really boring. Combat especially looks half-baked, even though I realize for this game it's a last resort.

A-V-B

I don't know how they thought that combat was good fit for this kind of game.

A part of the problem is that there isn't enough of a reason to flee in the footage we've seen. Faith, despite them saying she's supposed to be lithe and fast and not super strong, takes enemies down with ease. So everyone just goes for the clunky combat. They don't get smacked upside the head when they stop. They don't say, "oh shit, bad idea." They just pummel dudes. And the "keep moving" attacks still seem to stop Faith's momentum.

*shrug*

GWX

I'm halfway through the "Exploration Gameplay" video right now, and...

Not pleased in the slightest. Everything I see just screams what I said since the beginning: open world and platformer is recipe for disaster. Runner vision is more invasive than ever (the whole UI just looks like shit, but that's beside the point), the combat looks boring as hell... And why the hell there's so much dialogue, uuuugh.

Also, the pre-baked lighting and simple design of the first game were so good you can't even say the new one looks that much better, if any better at all.

quick edit: OH MY GOD THERE'S A SKILL TREE :LOL

Arklite

I wonder what the point of that momentum meter is, were there jumps in the first game that couldn't be made unless you were absolutely at top speed? So this is a visual cue for such situations? I don't remember that being a thing before.

Top Bottom