• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

_woLf

I'm still super pissed at DICE that I didn't get a key emailed to me from them despite signing up the second you could, but I was lucky enough to win one from a kind gaffer, so I was able to download and play it yesterday. I "finished" it up this morning.

First off, it runs fine on my PC at all Ultra aside from a few hiccups when it was night/raining. Intel 3770K and GTX 970 FTW. Was happy to see that.

That being said, something about the image quality, even at full 1080p, seemed really off. Maybe it was the motion blur (which, when turned off, improved the appearance dramatically) or maybe it was the depth of field - but for some reason, this doesn't look that impressive to me. I would occasionally even go as far as to say the last one looked better in spots.

Textures in the beta seemed really low quality, even at ultra settings, and the lighting at times was just downright awful. I was in areas that you could not see any detail in the characters (the hub, for example, at night time) and it just looked super unnatural. I really hope they improve the lighting when it comes to shadows and nighttime. And I'm not sure if it was just me, but there were some crazy bad LOD problems with a lot of the models in the game, especially the microchip container boxes. You can't even see them until you're 3 feet away and they just pop in. The graphics are just really overall super inconsistent and it doesn't feel anywhere near as clean and polished as the last game.

The gameplay seemed fine though. It's about what I would expect from a Mirror's Edge game, aside from the need to level up/unlock skills. I really don't get why they did this. Combat feels really weird in this game and I have a hard time really getting anything going when it comes to combos. The controls seemed fine once I got used to them, though. One thing I really hope they improve on for the final game is the damn load times - in the last game, if you died, getting back into it was really quick. In Catalyst, it can take what feels like forever. Some of the time trials and dead drops are extremely unforgiving, too - I was often failing them or finishing with 1 or even 0 seconds remaining.

Music seemed great, although there is literally only one song that plays when you're free-roaming. I hope that changes in the final game. I absolutely loved the main theme that played when you saw the title card, though. Voice acting seemed great, aside from Faith. I really don't like her new VA.

All in all I'm happy with the beta aside from the really disappointing graphics and lightning. Here's hoping that small delay can be used to polish it up a bit. I'm still in for day one and still just as excited as I was the day it was announced.

edit: oh, and +1 to the weird animation jankiness in cinematics. It seems like all scripted sequences just perform very poorly in the game -- the drones floating around the city were doing the same thing for me.

Mystic654

Has EA said if we are allowed to upload/Stream gameplay to youtube & Twitch or not? Since the Beta has that annoying text floating around the screen with your Username and other details. Which gave me a bit of a pause if we can upload or stream yet.

wowzors

Cutscenes are a disaster on ps4. I have the biggest headache from how jerky they are. Game seems to run decently in game, only noticed a little slow down. The pop in is pretty present when the game shows world views.

This looks like a buy on pc and a pass on ps4.

N° 2048

Hmmm... I hear a lot of people saying that graphics is incredible on PS4 and while it's true when it comes to characters, some parts of the world looks simply awful, rough edges etc. Am I the only one seeing it?

FPS drops very often for me as well on PS4... flow of the game is amazing but those interuptions caused by constant frames drops are a bit annoying.

Yep same here. For a game this pace it should be locked in the FPS department.

ps3ud0

Is the runner trail online gated? It keeps on disappearing and then tell me its online moments later - not really paid attention to the message that pops up as trying to work out where to go at pace normally.

Really hope Im mistaken or its just something for the beta.

ps3ud0 8)

There needs to be a way to keep the little red flag icons from other people's time trials from showing up all over the place on the screen while you're playing. Is there a way? I turned the icons off on the map, bu they still show up in game and it's absolutely disgusting.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Still a chance the frame-rate will be slightly improved upon release for the PS4, and I hope it is. Doesn't run bad at all but considering the quality of the visuals in some places (like the random traffic you see below and some of the passing "ships" that look really bad) I hope they nail it down. Still looking forward to the game though, the demo has been really good.

Played for an hour or so. Everything is wonderful. Great.

The only things I wish they didn't do is lock vital movement stuff behind progression. Beyond that, I'd like to see it take a bit longer of a time to get up to max speed.

EDIT: oh the FOV slider is the best thing implemented in a console game ever.

mosdl

Are cutscenes very stuttery on PC for anyone? The game runs at 80+ fps on my 970 on high but cutscenes are stuttery and 30, so I assume its just fmv?

Thewonandonly

Yo does anyone have the beta thing going across the screen like the window screen savers. It just says beta the time the date and my gamer tag is really anoying

Golgo 13

Yo does anyone have the beta thing going across the screen like the window screen savers. It just says beta the time the date and my gamer tag is really anoying
Yes, I'm on PS4 and I have it. Pretty sure everyone does, since it's a closed beta and therefore you're not allowed to broadcast it.

I really don't think there's any purpose in evaluating graphics/performance from this beta. It's really, really clear that they've removed and downres'd textures in order to keep the download size low. Given that, it's hard to evaluate how the game would look if the textures were improved.

BiggNife

So I'm having quite a bit of fun with this but locking skill roll and quick turn behind a skill tree is 100% bullshit and there is no excuse for it

Like imagine if you couldn't wall jump or triple jump in Mario 64 unless you had a certain amount of stars

I really don't think there's any purpose in evaluating graphics/performance from this beta. It's really, really clear that they've removed and downres's textures in order to keep the download size low. Given that, it's hard to evaluate how the game would look if the textures were improved.

some people seem to have a hard time grasping this

once the final version comes out, the complainers are gonna look awefully stupid

Golgo 13

I really don't think there's any purpose in evaluating graphics/performance from this beta. It's really, really clear that they've removed and downres's textures in order to keep the download size low. Given that, it's hard to evaluate how the game would look if the textures were improved.
Really? I think this is actually really close to how the game is going to look. Removed and downres'd textures? Highly doubt it, they're going for a stylized, minimalist look and favoring fluidity of gameplay over everything.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This game is fantastic--I'll be picking it up day one. I'm really enjoying the beta.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Played some on the Xbox but just like dying light the controller bugs me. Can't stand when a game uses the small triggers for stuff u got to do all the time. I'll get it for the ps4

Is the runner trail online gated? It keeps on disappearing and then tell me its online moments later - not really paid attention to the message that pops up as trying to work out where to go at pace normally.

Really hope Im mistaken or its just something for the beta.

ps3ud0 8)

Well, it does need an internet connection, kind of, but not in the way you're thinking. :p

It needs an "in universe" online connection. :D

Just play without it for a bit, after a while an indicator will pop up saying "Press E to download runner vision," or something like that. You've probably figured this out by now though. :)

Really? I think this is actually really close to how the game is going to look. Removed and downres'd textures? Highly doubt it, they're going for a stylized, minimalist look and favoring fluidity of gameplay over everything.

Have you... seen... some of the textures? Take a look--a lot of them are literally PS2 quality. Downresing textures doesn't provide a minimalist aesthetic.

Of the "missing" textures... I suppose it is possible that some of the objects are supposed to look like that. But I doubt it. It doesn't look minimal, it looks wrong.

N° 2048

beta is rough, wow.

The package quest is bugged.
The hemlet visors break but they are intact on the enemy body lolol?
The textures in the distance are horrid
There are people walking mid air sometimes in the very distance as if they have loaded but the buildings haven't
Don't look down, it's like they put no effort into the ground.
There are surfaces that should be climbable but are not.

I can get by the graphics stuff but basic skills hidden behind upgrades? Also this does not feel open world at all. Just some of the things I can remember right now, I'm trying to enjoy this but it's really rough, I'd rather play the first one right now.

Menitta

My major worry, (and this was a broad one) is present, at least in the beta. It doesn't feel like an open world game at all. No matter where I'm going, it feels incredibly linear. Maybe it's because of the red guide, but even without it, it still feels linear.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just take in account that they delayed the game precisely for the feedback from the Beta. BTW, have they acknowledged the feedback somewhere?

pmj

Some things I do think will be improved, like framerate and some of the textures. Maybe image quality a bit.

Not distant detail though. I'm fairly sure that it's a result of a more limited budget than what Dice's bigger games get and them not being able employ an army of artists to fix up every detail of the world, and instead applying resources where it matters most.

It does look funny when you stop to look at certain things, particularly the ground, but I never notice any of that when I run so I'm perfectly okay with the trade-offs that they made. They gotta get the framerate under control though.

Coffinhal

My major worry, (and this was a broad one) is present, at least in the beta. It doesn't feel like an open world game at all. No matter where I'm going, it feels incredibly linear. Maybe it's because of the red guide, but even without it, it still feels linear.

This is because it's not an open world. They created areas that are or are not connected between, with few (or none) organic systems that we could expect by 2016, and a level design that is forced to look linear even if he isn't — and this is reinforced by the runner vision and the things they had to add because they felt that people would get lost (because of the bad level design).

They opened the levels for free roaming and secondary quests. That's all. They should've explained better, people will expect Assassin's Creed X Far Cry X GTA V X RDR X Just Cause X MGS V;

I understand this sentiment, but I don't think it's a bad thing. The first game worked really well as a linear experience, and I'm glad that's still present here.

This entry is more open in comparison to the first game, it just has a linear storyline which leads you through. I think that's a nice balance.

One of the prospects I'm most excited about is that the city size seems manageable, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to imagine that we'd be able to mentally visualise it the way we would a city we visit frequently. Like how cool will it be when we're so familiar with the city that when given a destination well know the quickest (or most fun) way to get there and just head off ourselves. Like we're actually a runner.

It'll be so cool.

Menitta

I understand this sentiment, but I don't think it's a bad thing. The first game worked really well as a linear experience, and I'm glad that's still present here.

This entry is more open in comparison to the first game, it just has a linear storyline which leads you through. I think that's a nice balance.

After making that post I began to feel that. I think one thing that's adding to the linearity (if that's a word) is the fact that all of the buildings in the distance and close by don't look approachable. That might be because of the low res textures. It feels more linear than Mirrors Edge 1 to me.

sonicmj1

Put in a bunch of time with this, and cleared everything except for a handful of delivery missions. It's pretty much delivering what I expected and wanted. All the mechanical complexity of the original is there and accounted for, which makes moving through the city feel delightful. I'm always looking for faster ways to get where I'm going than the runner vision suggests, and there's often some sort of workaround or trick I could be using. Even the combat can feel pretty great once you get used to it.

One weird thing with the beta as it is now is that there's almost too much user created stuff. Once you open up player-made time trials, they create red glowing start points just about everywhere. It's more distracting than anything else, and there isn't that much of a reward for messing with them. Hopefully they'll build in some filtering options for that stuff in the final game, and maybe by then they'll also get the player customization elements, like player emblems and so forth, working properly.

I wonder how the world will feel once players get the grappling hook. I know when I was doing some of the security escapes, the map could feel rather narrow, restricting my options for getting out of the way of the pursuit VTOL, but I also saw a number of spots where the hook could be used to create big shortcuts.

lumi7890

I just got done going through the beta about 20 minutes ago and I have to say, I have completely turn page on this game, I went in with pretty low expectations, I mean after hearing about how basic moves were lock behind the leveling up system and also how the story look like hot-garbage.

I was really worried about how the rest of the game would pan out, however after spending about 5 hours with the game I can comfortably say that catalyst is looking pretty good, first off the graphics are really nice although it doesn't look like a huge upgrade from the first game, it just manages to be a big enough leap for it to look miles above it's older sister, the gameplay is also very much improved as dice pretty much took what work in the first game and tighting it up.

the only problem I really had as far as gameplay goes, was the fact that I could not remap the keys on my keyboard, I hope this doesn't mean no remappable keys for the full game, because due to the way I lay my hands on my keyboard and mouse I don't think I could play the game comfortable, so dice please put remappable buttons in the full release, also their were a few graphical glitches while I was playing but i'm not going to harp on the bugs too much because I know this is a beta and I know the glitches will probably be fix for realease. so yeah I'm probally goijng to preorder the game seems to be really awesome and I want to play more, so yeah, great show dice.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm pretty much done with the beta - performance issues aside, I really enjoyed my time with it. Went through the story missions pretty quickly but took a good couple of hours to work on the Dashes - top 5% or better in all of 'em. :D

Aside from the obvious necessary improvements to stability/performance, I hope they address the loading times when retrying races (boo!) and some mechanics balancing (bhopping is goofy, trying to jump through windows sometimes puts Faith in the crawling-through-a-duct animation, etc.).

But for the most part, the way the game plays... absolutely awesome. I was worried at first when I started the beta because of skills being locked away and the slightly magnetic interactables, but after spending some time with it I'm super happy with the movement and controls. Tons of routes to discover and little optimizations to implement, it feels like a worthy Mirror's Edge for sure.

Can't wait for the final game!

A couple more vids of my routes:

Nomad's Run - 00:21:51
A Handy Shortcut - 00:46:10
A Handy Shortcut (bhopping) - 00:45:96
Code:

the only problem I really had as far as gameplay goes, was the fact that I could not remap the keys on my keyboard, I hope this doesn't mean no remappable keys for the full game.

One of the devs confirmed on a stream that custom keybindings will be available in the final game (and that they've even changed up the default keys in a later build). I'm with you though - I definitely want to be able to use my side mouse buttons and CTRL to crouch is absolute murder on my hands. >.<

BiggNife

Beat the story missions

I enjoyed it but also I REALLY hope the load times are fixed in the final version. MEC is a game where a single mistake can cost you the entire mission, and having to wait a full minute every time you screw up is real frustrating.

Generally enjoyed it, though. Definitely interested in maybe getting it at release.

Issue I have with the beta is that missions can only be completed one way. Like the first mission you have to enter the building through a window, but your not given any choice in which window or any opening to choose from.

I love the linear mission structure of the first game, my hope of Catalyst is that the levels would just become more open, instead they went the open world route but didn't succeed in it.

nel e nel

I really don't think there's any purpose in evaluating graphics/performance from this beta. It's really, really clear that they've removed and downres'd textures in order to keep the download size low. Given that, it's hard to evaluate how the game would look if the textures were improved.

Even taking that into consideration, it's still very pretty.

I wasn't an über fan of the first, only rented it, but remember enjoying it. I'm really digging the open world, and can already see myself getting sidetracked just by cruising around the rooftops. Not much else to add that hasn't already been said.

I cant get through the battle tutorial. That wall run/ springboard attack is messing me up. I don't even see a spring board! halp me please >;-(

edit: i'm on ps4 also, yes, i'm aware i'm probably being stupid

I very much hope you're right.

sn00zer

The individual levels are fucking fantastic and exactly what I want Mirrors Edge 2 to be. That entire Kruger level was just fantastic. But man the open world stuff is just kind of a slog.

Coffinhal

The storyline is not linear, it's cliché as hell, it looks like a bad TV show with the standard mentor, ally rival, best friend, vilain rival, big vilain, lost family, and big corporation dictatorship. Who cares to here, once again, the same kind of story to justify the presence of gameplay ? It's badly directed, the actors don't play, there is no energy nor any original idea.

Even Ubisoft can do better in storytelling. DICE just don't know how to do it (even if they tried something less linear with Battlefield 3), they should just give up.

Golgo 13

The individual levels are fucking fantastic and exactly what I want Mirrors Edge 2 to be. That entire Kruger level was just fantastic. But man the open world stuff is just kind of a slog.
Same way I feel. That introductory level was amazing, for instance, and so are some of the missions, but the general open-world gameplay just isn't as strong :/

Which is bizarre, and makes me think how good the game would be if it was more linear.

GavinUK86

Yes, I'm on PS4 and I have it. Pretty sure everyone does, since it's a closed beta and therefore you're not allowed to broadcast it.

It literally says on the main menu feel free to record and share footage or stream it. You're allowed to share everything.

Top Bottom