• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Disappointed by the skill tree.

I hope there is a new game plus - will spend the first run through unlocking all skills to fully enjoy a second. Would have much preferred all moves being available from the off.

Not 100% sold on this game as of yet though; a shame as the E3 announcement literally got me out of my seat.

A-V-B

I'm halfway through the "Exploration Gameplay" video right now, and...

Not pleased in the slightest. Everything I see just screams what I said since the beginning: open world and platformer is recipe for disaster. Runner vision is more invasive than ever (the whole UI just looks like shit, but that's beside the point), the combat looks boring as hell... And why the hell there's so much dialogue, uuuugh.

Also, the pre-baked lighting and simple design of the first game were so good you can't even say the new one looks that much better, if any better at all.

quick edit: OH MY GOD THERE'S A SKILL TREE :LOL

The new one is better at depicting shiny glass, which they've littered the game with, but the original's art style was... gorgeous. A masterpiece of visual design, inhabiting the perfect space between signal and emptiness. Not that this game looks bad. It still looks very pretty, and like a Mirror's Edge game.

Minus the user interface with xp notifications and meters and stuff.

GWX

The new one is better at depicting shiny glass, which they've littered the game with, but the original's art style was... gorgeous. A masterpiece of visual design, inhabiting the perfect space between signal and emptiness. Not that this game looks bad. It still looks very pretty, and like a Mirror's Edge game.

Minus the user interface with xp notifications and meters and stuff.

Yeah, it still looks good, but the original was brilliant, and very low taxing on hardware (I could go 1080p/60 fps/8x AA on 9800GTX+ lol). The only bad thing about the original's visuals was Faith's hands, but honestly the new one's don't look that much better even in this area :lol

jdstorm

Banned
OK just got done watching the Polygon video.

First impressions. Graphically this game feels much more like Remember Me then the origional Mirrors Edge with its shiny futuristic distopia. Gameplay looks fine, although the skill tree progression system for movement looks annoying. But it should be fine on a new game plus run once everything is levelled up. Mechanically the combat animations look good, it will be interesting to further explore them.

On a final note. Even though they caused a lot of problems I miss the way guns were used in the first game. They made the world feel more. Dangerous and alive.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm trying really hard to get as upset as some of you are about the skill tree, but I can't seem to get upset at all.

The combat looks wonky in the first fight of the video I watched, the Exploration one, but dude was just mashing even when he was nowhere near them. The second fight he actually managed to string some kind of dodge and spin move, so I can imagine that if you know what you're doing, you can pull off some good combos. He even managed to shove past a guard without losing momentum as well, but then he decided to stop and turn around to keep fighting.

Gonna watch the rest of the non-story stuff. The game is still as sexy as the early videos showed, and I LOVED watching the day/night cycle slowly taking place.

Arklite

The combat looks wonky in the first fight of the video I watched, the Exploration one, but dude was just mashing even when he was nowhere near them. The second fight he actually managed to string some kind of dodge and spin move, so I can imagine that if you know what you're doing, you can pull off some good combos. He even managed to shove past a guard without losing momentum as well, but then he decided to stop and turn around to keep fighting.

There's also some weird grab/pull thing going on but she loses the grab or gets pushed off. Later that circular dodge comes out of nowhere while the player is just spamming attacks. It's sketchy, the combat tutorial in the first vid doesn't show a parry mechanic or dodge. Maybe it's a new unlockable move.

I wonder what the point of that momentum meter is, were there jumps in the first game that couldn't be made unless you were absolutely at top speed? So this is a visual cue for such situations? I don't remember that being a thing before.

I believe it's a new mechanic; when the momentum meter is full, Faith becomes practically bulletproof (meaning bullets will just whizz past you). It encourages you to keep moving at top speed, nailing the timing on your jumps and rolls. It's something I really wanted in the first game.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh yeah, I watched the Polygon 30 minute video and the Exploration video.

Gameplay looks slick and even quicker than the original. I don't mind the bad guys having a health bar in this. The skill tree I'm still not really feeling, but if the game's side missions and regular missions allow you to get most of the standard abilities pretty quickly I won't mind it.

Hopefully this open world setup works out. I'm not gonna count this game out yet, but I'm sure someone posting below me will dislike it immediately lol. Hope it comes to NX this Fall :p

15strong

It doesn't look like the open world is adding much to the game. Kind of a shame that it looks like it's falling into the same open world tropes. Meaningless side missions and numerous collectables.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i opened the first video and saw the loading tip "SPEND YOUR UPGRADE POINTS ON SOME BULLSHIT" pop up and just immediately lost my interest in the game. i don't know if i'll pass on it completely, but i'm not really in any huge rush to play it any time soon.

Jb

I want a black panther game in first person with these controls.

I imagine modders should be able to accommodate your needs:) Especially if he becomes really popular after Civil War comes out.

My main fear is that the level design doesn't get crazy and inventive enough, which was my main issue with the first game. Hopefully some of the latter sections really force you to take big leaps of faith and climb stupidly high towers, cranes and stuff.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Hopefully you can turn all these HUD elements off. I want that minimalist look when I'm playing.

Blizzard

Banned
People in this thread are remembering the original Mirrors Edge far, far too fondly.
I've played the original many times, and it does have its flaws. Still, it's one of the few games I go back to periodically, and the flaws are different than the ones we're concerned about here.

People in this thread are remembering the original Mirrors Edge far, far too fondly.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the original game and I think just about all of these complaints are still 100% valid, ESPECIALLY the issues with stuff like the unlock system.

I'm less sold on this being an open world game than ever before. I'm all but completely convinced they did not have a really great vision for that when they decided to make it open world and I expect it to add nothing to the level or game design and basically just serve as an excuse for tacked on nonsense.

Open world games are done so lifelessly following so many design trends nowadays it's kinda depressing.

Kinsei

Banned
Skill trees and time trials being tied to the open world? I think I'll pass.

Edit: Wait you have to unlock the ability to fucking roll? Haha, who are they making this game for?

golem

As someone currently replaying the game in 21:9 glory, no this game is still fun as hell

26435922825_6a4d614929_k.jpg

Huge fan of the original. , new reveal had me hyped but every single feature I've seen in this vids has deflated me so bad.

- locked basic parkour moves
- stamina bars and rpg bars etc
- open world with filler sidequests
- grapple hook (did not realise that was a parkour move)

Loved the first game so much , dying over and over until I found the right path , avoiding guards and guns as much as possible .

Way to kill a games hype ea

All it needs now is the announcement of microtransactions or loot crates and epic sweet skins to seal the deal.

GHG

Has anyone got an image or list of all the skill tree unlockabkes?

I'm currently hoping the game will be mod friendly on the PC so that all the crap can be cut out and we can have a game closer to the original rather than this cookie cutter AAA bullshit we have at the moment.

RSB

Banned
As in, what, yesterday? Last week? It's not like I played it once in 2008 and never played again. I've beaten it multiple times over the years.
Take off the nostalgia googles man.
I replayed it last week (for like the 100th time) and yep, still amazing (and still one of my favorite games ever)

Feep

Banned
A lot of haters in here, considering no one has played it or seen how later game structure works.

I reserve judgment.

patapuf

A lot of haters in here, considering no one has played it or seen how later game structure works.

I reserve judgment.

Yeah, i'm not thrilled about skill trees, 3rd person takedowns etc. but otherwise the gameplay footage looks like they retained most good mechanics from the original.

It's hard to judge if the new stuff gets in the way or has some neat aspects as well.

kadotsu

Banned
Skill trees are fine as long as it doesn't take to the end of the game to fill them. Open world time trials could also be OK as long as there are multiple interesting paths to reach the goal for varying skill level for each type of player.

Nokterian

Parkour locked behind xp are you fucking kidding me?

926.gif

Hey at least Dying Light gave me a lot more in terms of parkour from the get go and the unlocks in there where a upgrade to what you were doing instead locking even the simple movement behind a xp bar.

I know this was too good to be true, there has to be something that screwed up right (talking about xp system)...

Hopefully the rest is still great.

danmaku

I reserve judgment.

Open world hate is the new Call of Duty hate.

I think open world is exactly what this game need, it's about free running, after all. Not excited about the skill tree, but I can live with it.

Jito

Banned
Poor DICE, I imagine it was a big risk making this game and the response they get to showing it off is people freaking out over skill trees and nitpicking graphics as always. I wish them the best of luck, hope its successful with "fans" and gets a larger audience.

DOWN

Banned
Sad to see people so against open world. That's something I really wanted when playing the first game. And it's not like the original got great reviews. It scored average good, suggesting there was room for changes. I'm open to actually playing it before shooting down the XP and world. Those aren't inherently bad like many people here are suggesting. The controls have changed too, so the unlocks aren't so wild.

sonicmj1

I don't love the XP stuff, but I'm open to it. I think the open world could work well for the game, sort of like Burnout Paradise. Repeated exposure to the same areas encourages the sort of replay, experimentation, and mastery of particular routes that the Time Trials required in the original, so hopefully more players will be able to realize the full depth of the movement system. I feel like many of the advanced mechanics in the original were only rarely required to progress, so the level design won't meaningfully change.

The only thing about the gameplay footage I saw that concerned me was how the combat was used. Certain missions seemed to have areas that were like, "Eliminate security presence", forcing combat on you. I'd rather have the option to flee in pretty much every circumstance, even if it's not always practical.

Sad to see people so against open world. That's something I really wanted when playing the first game. And it's not like the original got great reviews. It scored average good, suggesting there was room for changes. I'm open to actually playing it before shooting down the XP and world. Those aren't inherently bad like many people here are suggesting. The controls have changed too, so the unlocks aren't so wild.

People who wanted a sequel liked the game for its hidden complexity of its gameplay which was really where the game shinned, at a superficial level it was quite an average game apart from its art direction and soundtrack. Dice and/or EA appear to be rectifying the problems critics had with the game (it wasn't easily accessible, it wasn't always clear where to go, that it was linear, poor combat, poor story, poor animation and it was short) by going for what scores well in reviews at the moment but in doing so appear to have totally missed the point in why the current fan base wanted another game.

I and many others wanted the game built around the depth of gameplay but everything released so far indicates they are going cookie cutter AAA and going for the lowest common denominator. Maybe there is this depth but nothing in press releases or previews suggest this, though going from reviews of the time press never actually got into the depth of the gameplay so this is something we should expect to hear from community previews but none have indicated so as of yet either.

Despite the positive previews (previews are almost always positive), I'm not liking what I'm seeing and hearing. But I suppose until people start to value quality over quantity, this is basically what we're going to be seeing from AAAAAA games. Basic concepts stretched to hours of oblivion by skill trees, side quests, social integration, etc. instead of intelligent and creative challenges.

It'll be nice if the beta can change my mind because the whole structure of the game on paper sounds disappointing and I love the original.

Mman235

If all you did is play through the campaign or/and basic time trials you're not talking about the Mirror's Edge many of the people who love it are talking about.

And it's not like the original got great reviews. It scored average good, suggesting there was room for changes.

The strengths of the original were completely antithetical to how reviewers review games, with it's focus on replayability and depth compared to the modern focus of trying to put everything into the first playthrough, for most people who got into it the reviewers basically weren't even talking about the same game. The developers will obviously aim for higher scores than the first but one of my worries is that they focus on placating reviewers over building on the best parts of the first.

Edit:
People who wanted a sequel liked the game for its hidden complexity of its gameplay which was really where the game shinned, at a superficial level it was quite an average game apart from its art direction and soundtrack. Dice and/or EA appear to be rectifying the problems critics had with the game (it wasn't easily accessible, it wasn't always clear where to go, that it was linear, poor combat, poor story, poor animation and it was short) by going for what scores well in reviews at the moment but in doing so appear to have totally missed the point in why the current fan base wanted another game.

I and many others wanted the game built around the depth of gameplay but everything released so far indicates they are going cookie cutter AAA and going for the lowest common denominator. Maybe there is this depth but nothing in press releases or previews suggest this, though going from reviews of the time press never actually got into the depth of the gameplay so this is something we should expect to hear from community previews but none have indicated so as of yet either.

Oh someone else nailed it.

Top Bottom