• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst Closed Beta Thread | Didn't Get An Email? Keep Faith

I think if I just play through the game ignoring the open world activities and just using the open world for creative ways to get from point A to point B and just doing main shit, this game will be incredibly fun.

All the mission design and controls are just amazing

Chiramii

After exploring the city some more I couldn't help but notice that the music in the game never changes, in a noticeable way atleast. But by utilizing a shift movement exploit I managed to gain access to the Shimmering Heights part of the city and the music changed to something I didn't hear in my first 10 hours of gameplay, so music seems to be location based.

GavinUK86

I think if I just play through the game ignoring the open world activities and just using the open world for creative ways to get from point A to point B and just doing main shit, this game will be incredibly fun.

All the mission design and controls are just amazing

Yeah I'd be happy to do that if you can turn off the side/time trial stuff in the world. Hopefully they'll add that option.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
the things they had to add because they felt that people would get lost (because of the bad level design).

Bad level design - wat.

Yeah I'd be happy to do that if you can turn off the side/time trial stuff in the world. Hopefully they'll add that option.

Definitely, my screen was so cluttered with the time trials it wasn't even funny.

A-V-B

After exploring the city some more I couldn't help but notice that the music in the game never changes, in a noticeable way atleast. But by utilizing a shift movement exploit I managed to gain access to the Shimmering Heights part of the city and the music changed to something I didn't hear in my first 10 hours of gameplay, so music seems to be location based.

Yeah, it's location based. For a split second the game recognized me as entering the "charter hill" zone, and the music became brighter and more up beat for a moment before gravity took me back into the beta zone.

BTW, as far as I can tell the entire soundtrack is in the beta's files. There are some neat tracks.

Chiramii

Yeah, it's location based. For a split second the game recognized me as entering the "charter hill" zone, and the music became brighter and more up beat for a moment before gravity took me back into the beta zone.

BTW, as far as I can tell the entire soundtrack is in the beta's files. There are some neat tracks.
Cool! Gonna stay away from that then. Want to experience it when the game is released. :)

Not sure if I'm enjoying this or not. The fact that so many basic moves from the original are locked behind a skill tree make traversal more time consuming and tedious than it should be and was clearly added because of XP pickups around the map. I don't hate it, there's clearly a good game here but I'm getting Dying Light vibes where after I leveled up I felt like this is where I should have been at the start.

Is there any way to tell where the destination for the time trial levels are? It's so easy to get lost if you stray from the path given to you. iirc the original Mirror's Edge had a giant beam of light going into the sky so you could see where you had to get to, but this one doesn't seem to have any way of finding the destination (doesn't show up on map, pressing in the right stick doesn't bring up any hints to the destination once you stray off the main path).

Not sure if I'm enjoying this or not. The fact that so many basic moves from the original are locked behind a skill tree make traversal more time consuming and tedious than it should be and was clearly added because of XP pickups around the map. I don't hate it, there's clearly a good game here but I'm getting Dying Light vibes where after I leveled up I felt like this is where I should have been at the start.

I dunno, I feel like the first few missions are just tutorial, and you get so much XP so quickly that you basically have all the skills from Mirror's Edge 1 by your third mission or so. I've definitely seen that same complain pop up multiple times, but I just didn't have that same reaction. I think it makes since to limit your toolset for what are essentially tutorial missions.

Have you... seen... some of the textures? Take a look--a lot of them are literally PS2 quality. Downresing textures doesn't provide a minimalist aesthetic.

Of the "missing" textures... I suppose it is possible that some of the objects are supposed to look like that. But I doubt it. It doesn't look minimal, it looks wrong.

This as well. I don't understand why they didn't stick with Unreal 3 when the PS4 could tear the engine a new one while still looking a lot better than this. The original on my pc I built in 2011 looks league's better than this and runs at a locked 60 and higher if I wanted it to be.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This isn't directed at you, but moreso at DICE, but seeing that goofy coil hop tactic being used as a way to cheese time trial runs really killed my mood to even compete in them. I really hope they address that.

They might I just wanted to get some good times since I have no idea how the person up top got 21 seconds on that trial. I'm thinking there is an alternate route I can't figure out now.
r97v8VX.png

krae_man

Man the load times are brutal.

I think I had a side mission glitch out on me. The delivery spot didn't seem to exist and the frustration grew more and more as I had to wait a long ass time to replay only to fail again because wasn't there.

At least I think it wasn't there, the runners vision said go down this staircase and there was a person at the bottom of the stairs but nowhere to go or put the package.

Really enjoying the combat so far otherwise. Love finding ways to take out enemies using the environment.

This as well. I don't understand why they didn't stick with Unreal 3 when the PS4 could tear the engine a new one while still looking a lot better than this. The original on my pc I built in 2011 looks league's better than this and runs at a locked 60 and higher if I wanted it to be.

As I said, I'm sure it's because it's a beta and they wanted to keep the download size small. Others in this thread have said they did something similar with the beta for Battlefront.

I don't think there's much point in judging the graphics at this point, since they clearly aren't final and we have no idea what they will eventually look like.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any way to tell where the destination for the time trial levels are? It's so easy to get lost if you stray from the path given to you. iirc the original Mirror's Edge had a giant beam of light going into the sky so you could see where you had to get to, but this one doesn't seem to have any way of finding the destination (doesn't show up on map, pressing in the right stick doesn't bring up any hints to the destination once you stray off the main path).
I think there's a beam going into the sky (but maybe not high enough), and sometimes the objective shows through walls I think?

It doesn't seem to work right all the time so I'm hoping it's bugged. The map worked sometimes to find objectives too.

Ooooh, do share, I want to see!

Same way I feel. That introductory level was amazing, for instance, and so are some of the missions, but the general open-world gameplay just isn't as strong :/

Which is bizarre, and makes me think how good the game would be if it was more linear.

I like the open world gameplay just because I find the simple act of moving around to be a lot of fun in this game. But I agree, the main story missions are a lot stronger.

I hope there's a fair amount of them in the full game.

The hell is this floating crap around my screen? Please tell me we can get rid of it.

If you're on PC, you can get rid of it, but it will also disable the rest of the GUI. This means no runner vision and no map. I'd recommend just dealing with the watermark. As annoying as it is, you do get used to it!

If you'd rather turn off the GUI, go into the game install directory and make an empty file called "user.cfg". Inside of this file, type "UI.DrawEnable 0" (without quotes) and save.

They might I just wanted to get some good times since I have no idea how the person up top got 21 seconds on that trial. I'm thinking there is an alternate route I can't figure out now.

If you're going through the window you're not taking the same route as lot of the faster times. I guess this is part assumption on my part because I don't know for sure what route the truly insane times are taking, but I'm two seconds or so faster than your time on there and I'm taking a different route entirely. And I'm not running it particularly well.

jdstorm

Banned

You can get 23 seconds without abusing the coil trick. Just go straight. ( not sure how they got 21 though)

Syriel

Any videos?

kAmui-

Am I the only one who thought the writing was kinda bad? Can't say anything about the overall story, though I am interested to see where the story goes. All the lines just seemed wrong.

The beta left me less interested before I was when starting it. Level design is all right, but maybe I haven't gotten the movement down yet. Side missions seem more or less uninteresting. Come on, most of them start by you going to a electric box or whatever and getting a parcel of chip and then bringing it to somewhere. Also, a minor thing, but it really bugged me how in the mission where you have to destroy the tower, you just got next to it, open a door and rip a chip and the whole thing explodes. That's just bad design :p

AJ_Wings

Eh, I thought the writing was passable. Not great but not particularly bad and I don't mind Faith's new VA. I do hope cutscenes are skippable in the final release because the main missions are straight out of ME1 and they're crazy fun. Can't wait to replay the krugersec hq level.

managed to finish in the Top 50 for two time trials (after multiple retries of course). the 2nd one was a pain in the ass since you have to turn yourself around once you hit the 1st checkpoint.

and what is the point of L.E.s exactly? created one near a hackable billboard just for the sake of it, but it just seems pointless

nel e nel

The storyline is not linear, it's cliché as hell, it looks like a bad TV show with the standard mentor, ally rival, best friend, vilain rival, big vilain, lost family, and big corporation dictatorship. Who cares to here, once again, the same kind of story to justify the presence of gameplay ? It's badly directed, the actors don't play, there is no energy nor any original idea.

Even Ubisoft can do better in storytelling. DICE just don't know how to do it (even if they tried something less linear with Battlefield 3), they should just give up.

Linear does not mean unique or original.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Daaaamn that tower with the big fans is huge. Looks smaller ingame lol.

The beta area is mark in red, but the full game probably won't cover so much more.:p

Damn, son. That looks like a huge structure. I also doubt we're going to play on all the map. But man would it be awesome. I wonder if that big tower plays a role in the story.

Just got prompted for a patch. Is this new to anyone else?

Ohhh, wonder what changes were made.

SomTervo

Honestly think this is far better than the first. The open world is great and allows me to really get to grips with mechanics.

Same here. It's so fucking great. Can't wait for the full release; day one for me.

The pace is the main improvement in Catalyst IMO. The first game gated you at every opportunity with its level design. 'Oh I have to stop now for this sequence', 'oh the level is over', 'oh there's a shit cutscene', 'oh there's a gunfight'.

In Catalyst you just run and run and run - then there's a short cutscene - then you run and run and run - then the mission finishes but you aren't stopped in your tracks - and you run and run and run. It's so seamless and that's what the series needed from day one.

red731

Adry9

Same here. It's so fucking great. Can't wait for the full release; day one for me.

The pace is the main improvement in Catalyst IMO. The first game gated you at every opportunity with its level design. 'Oh I have to stop now for this sequence', 'oh the level is over', 'oh there's a shit cutscene', 'oh there's a gunfight'.

In Catalyst you just run and run and run - then there's a short cutscene - then you run and run and run - then the mission finishes but you aren't stopped in your tracks - and you run and run and run. It's so seamless and that's what the series needed from day one.
Except when they tell you to knock down all the enemies in the area. Why DICE? WHY???

teokrazia

Gone under 30 seconds in Birdrman's Route.
For the moment, I'm fine.
I will try to improve in the final game.

How to get to the second district?

Top Bottom