• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

As I said in the RLM thread, this is fine, as such things go, but one wonders why this video particularly needs to exist and why, other than dinero, it needed to be a Plinkett video, given the Plinketty humor is largely absent from it.

You cared enough to drive by shitpost, though ��

Is explaining yourself really "drive by shitposting" though? It's a tired topic. I'm telling people to stop beating a dead horse because all it does is encourage the toxic shitheads of the internet's underbelly to rear their heads and vomit over every comments section again.

maybe watch the video. you might learn something.

Convince me that it's a beneficial usage of my time.

Neither do I but this is literally the one video they made about the film that didn't attempt to downplay the sexism. It's actually a critique and view on how the film could be improved. In large part by getting a director with vision/having better editors.

Right. And that's going to go over the heads of the people who just want to fight and argue about how bad the film is.

Then why the hell did you post in this thread.

Venting exasperation.

I don't care about internet nerds arguing with each other over Ghostbusters (2016) because the discussion field is so incredibly toxic and facepalm inducing that I really just don't appreciate someone stoking the fires more.

You care enough to come in here and shit on it. You didn't need to say anything or engage in any conversation here.

Fitts

Question: I know they commented on it, but is the movie actually that oversaturated on blu ray? It looks awful.

I don't care about internet nerds arguing with each other over Ghostbusters (2016) because the discussion field is so incredibly toxic and facepalm inducing that I really just don't appreciate someone stoking the fires more.

Should've gone back a few pages. Oh well. Enjoy your time away from gaf!

rekameohs

Banned
You can tell that the Plinkett reviews are really aided by Mike's interest. Like, it's obvious that he's a massive geek of Ghostbusters, Empire Strikes Back, and Star Trek. So, the Plinkett reviews on the failed successors are great. When he's obligated by the fans to make one, you get the bland Crystal Skull or Force Awakens reviews.

As I said in the RLM thread, this is fine, as such things go, but one wonders why this video particularly needs to exist and why, other than dinero, it needed to be a Plinkett video, given the Plinketty humor is largely absent from it.

That was my thing. I think the well for this has basically been run dry. Plenty of other horrible popular films to lampoon.

Hell Plinkett with the Bayformers would have been WAY better.

Pretty funny and super spot on.

Fat joke about Melissa McCarthy was kinda unnecessary, because these dudes are fat too, lol. I'm a little tired about her being singled out as a fatty because people find her unfunny. Pretty whack how much hate female comedians get.

Eh, I'd still say they're beating a dead horse. At least they didn't tread the sexism ground again. There were some great bits in this review actually. My favorite part was probably when he discussed editing and how it could improve the film to end scenes earlier/elongate them depending on mood that one would want to create....so....yea.

For sure, it's probably best this review was done a year after the fact. When we talk about the dead horse of gb16 it looks much more like my shitty post I originally made and yesterdays thread, round and round arguments about the controversy about the casting and not the film itself. Whats sad is this review could really be for several reviews sony has made including pixels and 20 adam sandler comedies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Because it's a mess?
Did they really need to do an hour long review of this film a year later? The SW reviews made sense, because those SW movies had a cultural side effects for many years.

If they are doing a review for this, then why not do a review for Dumb and Dumber To, as well? It's just as shit.

phanphare

Banned
The best Paul Feig related thing is Heavyweights

97OLQ2L.gif

You care enough to come in here and shit on it. You didn't need to say anything or engage in any conversation here.

I didn't say anything about the review other than "Do we really need more Ghostbusters (2016) Hot Takes(tm)? We know where the discussion always leads, and I'm tired of giving people ammunition over it".

Beartruck

I think he is right regardless. Ghostbusters is this neat little concept in a very tight and precise script. The other movie I compare it to is Jurassic Park. It may look like it leads to a sequel, but not really, everything interesting to be done with the concept is pretty much already in the original movie.

I'd disagree with the Jurassic Park comparison somewhat. The lost world mostly fumbles, but it has some very strong new parts, especially the ending with the T-rex running loose in Los Angeles. Park 3 though, oof. OOOOF.

I didn't say anything about the review other than "Do we really need more Ghostbusters (2016) Hot Takes(tm)? We know where the discussion always leads".

"Where the discussion leads" is mostly not what we're talking about, although you sure as hell seem to be trying to steer it that way while claiming you don't care.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

It's particularly odd considering they've reviewed it like twice already.

Fox318

Its a remake of a popular franchise that disappointed a ton of viewers and was controversial.

That's pretty much every Plinkett movie review.

Eidan

I'd say it's a Plinkett video because that's the format they choose for deep-dive reviews.

Sanjuro

Did they really need to do an hour long review of this film a year later? The SW reviews made sense, because those SW movies had a cultural side effects for many years.

If they are doing a review for this, then why not do a review for Dumb and Dumber To, as well? It's just as shit.

So, they needed to wait a particular amount of time to do one? I don't understand this complaint.

Also, Dumb and Dumber To is an absolute masterpiece!

The points he makes about talking too much and ad-libs being everywhere, effectively stomping on the comedy is great.

The review has been fantastic.

Spy is one of the best comedies in years, I was shocked how hard I laughed. And bridesmaids is also great, but mainly for it's script.
I wasn't too hot about it but I was dragged to the theather and was pleasantly suprised. I enjoyed the concept as well, it was something different than what I expected.
They praise Bridesmaids.
Must not be at that part. They bash Paul for directing it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Considering Bill Murray's main reason for refusing to do Ghostbusters 3 was how much they fucked up Ghostbusters 2, it's hard to take any criticism of him seriously in terms of continuing the series. They had every advantage in the world in the making of GB2 and it's the worst sequel to a great first film in the history of the medium. GB2016 has a ton of flaws, but I'll watch it twice before I sit through GB2 again.

Fat joke about Melissa McCarthy was kinda unnecessary, because these dudes are fat too, lol. I'm a little tired about her being singled out as a fatty because people find her unfunny. Pretty whack how much hate female comedians get.

It's not that they're making fat jokes about McCarthy, they're hating on the movie for using the overweight actress to make stupid "fat woman falls down" jokes.

Ekai

I didn't care for that bit either. He did kinda praise her comedic chops but yea....I know what you mean.

Fat4all

Banned
Is explaining yourself really "drive by shitposting" though? It's a tired topic. I'm telling people to stop beating a dead horse because all it does is encourage the toxic shitheads of the internet's underbelly to rear their heads and vomit over every comments section again.

Right. And that's going to go over the heads of the people who just want to fight and argue about how bad the film is.

Venting exasperation.
Spoilers: Neither will the people I'm talking about. I don't need to watch a video on Ghostubsters (2016) to know the kind of comments it will invoke.
ProTip:

How to participate in this thread: watch the review and talk about it.

How to get banned from the forum: preemptively shit on the thread because it exists, derail the thread by talking about how you're not going to watch the review in question, dive head first into meta commentary, etc.

dan2026

It really is incredible how the 2016 movie managed to miss every single thing that made the original movie funny and enjoyable to watch.

The script, the direction, the acting, everything about the 2016 film is a spectacular train wreck.

the format.

Half in the Bag= they discuss their thoughts on recent films right after watching them

Previously Recorded= video game reviews

Best of the Worst/Wheel of the Worst= watching obscure bad movies/videos

Re:View= watching films from years before that both of the hosts have seen and watching again, then discussing their overall thoughts over certain scenes.

There isn't really another format for this more thorough breakdown from the video series they have. He seems to have toned down the more weird humor because I can only assume they knew it'd be problematic due to the baggage that comes with this film and didn't want to deal with it.

inky

Spoilers: Neither will the people I'm talking about. I don't need to watch a video on Ghostubsters (2016) to know the kind of comments it will invoke.

Then make your own thread where you vent your exasperation over comment sections, this thread is about discussing this analysis and the video is required viewing to do so.

Eidan

I wasn't too hot about it but I was dragged to the theather and was pleasantly suprised. I enjoyed the concept as well, it was something different than what I expected.

Must not be at that part. They bash Paul for directing it.
It's more that they don't credit Fieg for Bridesmaids being good so much as they credit the script written by Wiig and her co-writer.

mcrommert

Banned

Venting exasperation.

Now that the thread has gone full meta, it's time to wrap it up. Make a new thread when the review actually drops, and actually watch it if you want to participate in that thread.

Perhaps you should watch it

Sblargh

Banned
I think the main motivation behind this is really to compare the new movie with the original and point out why one works and one doesn't.
It is a smart case study, since you have two very similar movies in a lot of ways where one is a very precise script where every line and scene serves some purpose where the other is an improv-fest.

Linkura

:(

I haven't watched it, but this makes me sad. The teaser was Plinketty enough for me, sad to hear it's not the Plinkett I love. Hopefully I'll still like it though. Waiting to watch it with my husband tomorrow night.

That was my thing. I think the well for this has basically been run dry. Plenty of other horrible popular films to lampoon.

Hell Plinkett with the Bayformers would have been WAY better.

Doubt any of the RLM guys have any kind of passion towards the Tranformers franchise as a whole.

phanphare

Banned

Venting exasperation.

maybe read these posts

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245644016&postcount=1137

ProTip:

How to participate in this thread: watch the review and talk about it.

How to get banned from the forum: preemptively shit on the thread because it exists, derail the thread by talking about how you're not going to watch the review in question, dive head first into meta commentary, etc.

also maybe watch the video, it's good

edit: already covered

Nah, RLM isn't without criticism. Reactions to the anticipation of them covering a movie that they constantly downplayed the sexism surrounding it is to be expected. But sure. "hullabaloo".

hey I missed this post and I just want to say that you're right and I apologize. I was honestly just annoyed with how that last thread played out and got taken over by a few bad posters who seemed to have an axe to grind regardless of the legit criticisms that can be levied at RLM.

Sephzilla

Is explaining yourself really "drive by shitposting" though? It's a tired topic. I'm telling people to stop beating a dead horse because all it does is encourage the toxic shitheads of the internet's underbelly to rear their heads and vomit over every comments section again
You came in here, shit on RLM for doing the video, and pretty much admitted you didn't watch it because you're tired of the topic and the conversations it starts even though none of that is happening in the video or this thread.

Doubt any of the RLM guys have any kind of passion towards the Tranformers franchise as a whole.

This is true, but the Plinkett reviews are always a nice, easy to digest sardonic take on flatly bad film making and editing which I enjoy and hearing the lampooning of bayformers always makes me happy.

Jarmel

Banned
This was a pretty good review that went over the tone, timing, and pacing. Really broke down why the film doesn't work.

Holy shit at that Pepsi and Papa John thing. I would have never thought of that.

surprised there was no weird conspiracy about the marketing like in that scientist man video tbh

relied a bit too much on yelling about how things weren't funny though

To quote Jay: "we don't do a lot of comedies on Half in the Bag, because there's only so many ways you can say it's not funny".

So it was expected that this wouldn't be the finest among them. Unless you count the prequels as comedies, but the point with those was that they were specifically not meant to be comedies.

Top Bottom